Gold Member
Jan 10, 2019
As we look to next year, here’s where I think our strengths and gaps are

Keep
-QB, RB, TE, DT, DB, P, K, OC, DC
-Even with Shipley rumored to leave, if Mafah stays, the RB room is great
-DT and DB still feel loaded even with some greats leaving
-Swanson returning and Hauser coming in I feel good here
-Some of you want to take a QB in the portal. This is not going to happen unless you’re talking a Tyson type. Solid portal QBs only come in if they are guaranteed a starting job and that’s just not the case here as we would want it to challenge Cade. Cade was without an OL in the first half and without WR in the second half. Let’s give the kid a year in a system that’s functional before pulling the plug
-Riley’s scheme was flat out better and schemes generally need 2 years to mature. Goodwin has been a beast

Need
-Change at WR. That can come in the form of coaching, Development, or portal acquisition. But this group needs to be better. Personally, love to see a portal acquisition, a new coach, and then lean into speed with Williams, brown, and Turner with hopefully Wesco getting some time
-Consistency at OL. We need to go into the portal for a center and then I think we need to move on from Austin. I think with these two things, paired with the young guys we have, we can be in a solid spot next year.

Want
-LB depth. Maybe Brown can come in and immediately contribute. Maybe D Woodaz can. Maybe you can snag a solid portal LB. This group is good, but thin. If Carter comes back you may be okay but another solid LB would be nice
-DE depth. Similar to linebacker, I think we will be solid at the starter level but probably need one of the freshmen to be a stud or could take a portal player at DE

Overall, the performance of the young players at DB and OL towards the end of the season has made me more optimistic about next year. If I had to identify the single most glaring need, it’s at WR. Something has to be different and I’d give up any other asks to make that group better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News