ADVERTISEMENT

Best Rapper Alive?

tygerfan ... I get your point. I think it applies in some circumstances where someone is elevated in status due to the "what if" factor. However, I do not think it applies in the cases of 2Pac and Biggie. Had they been with us longer or not, these guys are still 2 of the best lyricists of all-time. Both were not just rappers, they were poets. They transcended their time.

Again, I understand your point. I just think it might hold more water if applied to another person(s).

I just thought they were broader than rap.. it's only a part of their sound. I love the beastie boys.. I played licensed to ill so much when I was in 3rd grape my tape disintegrated.

I hear you...BB are a mishmash of 80s NYC music styles from the punk scene to hip-hop to sampling.

There is a story that they left Rick Ruben and Russell Simmons Def Jam for Capital Records because they didn't want to make another Licensed to Ill. Simmons wanted to destroy the release of Pauls Boutique and enlisted Chuck D to remaster some BB demos into a new album called White House.

`They were now the white boys that could hold it on their own. Chuck D., who was going to work on the production on the Def Jam "White House" project, took one listen to "Paul's Boutique" and said he wanted nothing to do with the other project. The "White House" project was never heard from again.` - Article

Humpty Dumpty was a big fat egg
He was playin' the wall, then he broke his leg
Tossed it out the window, three minutes hot
In the restaurant, he said 'blood clot!'
Which came first, the chicken or the egg
I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg
Riding the trains inbetween cars
When I pull out the station, 'you're gonna get yours'
Drive by eggings plaguing L.A.
'Yo, they just caught my little cousin, ese'
Sometimes hard boilled, sometimes runny
It comes from a chicken, not a bunny, dummy
People laugh, it's no joke
My name's Yauch, and I'm throwing the yoke
'Now they got me in a cell', but I don't care
It was then that I was caught catching people out there

I'm going to see Raekwon and Ghostface Killah sunday night. Enter the 36 chambers was awesome back in the day/

Mobb Deep "The Infamous" album is still in myrotation 15 years later.

Beastie Boys License to Ill is a top 5 album EVER. . rap or any genre

That's a tough sell.

I think Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head were better, far more creative and musical.

Reactions: damecourt
Best Rapper Alive: props to Jay-Z but Eminem truthfully
Best Rapper Alive or Dead: Biggie
Best Rap Group: Tribe Called Quest/OutKast
Best Lyricist: Eminem & strictly for comedy Ludacris

Female - MC Lyte

So much good info in this thread. To many great artists to truly narrow it down.

I've answered already, but I can't believe that Insane Clown Posse and Canibus aren't getting any love. lol.

Looks like the top 4 votes for best rapper alive is Jay Z, Nas, Eminem, and Kendrick. Should that be the current day's Mt. Rushmore of Rap? Thats a hell of a group of heavy hitters.

I'm just surprised there was no mention of Too $hort. Plus all the Jay Z love. He deserves a ton of credit but he isn't even the best in NY. Just listen to Ether and One Mic. That should instantly settle the Nas/ Jay Z debates.

Looks like the top 4 votes for best rapper alive is Jay Z, Nas, Eminem, and Kendrick. Should that be the current day's Mt. Rushmore of Rap? Thats a hell of a group of heavy hitters.
LOL! I know you're going by posts here, but no way Kendrick Lamar belongs in the top 4 rappers alive.

Best Rapper if still alive: Too $hort- 'cusswords' is brilliant, Jay Z
Best Dead Rapper: Biggie Smalls
Best Rap Group: NWA - loaded with geniuses
Best lyr: Kanye

It's almost honestly like this should be cut off after about the year 2005. I cant take any rapper serious that has popped up in the last 10 years. Rap sucks now. There's no substance. Jadakiss said it best...."If Rap was like it used to be and the game never changed from lyrics to cars and parties, then half of these rappers today would be saying 'can I take your order'". I mean as much as I loved rap and hip hop, it's just a joke to listen too. These guys don't have any serious competition. The art of storytelling has died, I listen to people and I the end of the song, I have no damn idea WTF they are talking about. Granted, there may be 1 or 2 that can spit, but even then, you wouldn't have heard about them 15-20 years ago. So based off that, then they cant be Great if they wouldn't have given the Greats a run for their money. As a Jay Z fan, even he wasn't the best when rap was HOT. He profited off the game being terrible. Just my opinion though. Im an old foggie I guess, im 30 hahaha.

The art of storytelling has died, I listen to people and I the end of the song, I have no damn idea WTF they are talking about.

If you are really about storytelling then J Cole is your stuff. Nobody like him around in that regard.

It's almost honestly like this should be cut off after about the year 2005. I cant take any rapper serious that has popped up in the last 10 years. Rap sucks now. There's no substance. Jadakiss said it best...."If Rap was like it used to be and the game never changed from lyrics to cars and parties, then half of these rappers today would be saying 'can I take your order'". I mean as much as I loved rap and hip hop, it's just a joke to listen too. These guys don't have any serious competition. The art of storytelling has died, I listen to people and I the end of the song, I have no damn idea WTF they are talking about. Granted, there may be 1 or 2 that can spit, but even then, you wouldn't have heard about them 15-20 years ago. So based off that, then they cant be Great if they wouldn't have given the Greats a run for their money. As a Jay Z fan, even he wasn't the best when rap was HOT. He profited off the game being terrible. Just my opinion though. Im an old foggie I guess, im 30 hahaha.
Agree with all of this and Jada was dead on when he said that. There are still a handful of decent rappers out there. They're mostly ungrounded and hard to find though. I'm 35 and after growing up with so much good stuff, it's hard to listen to most of this new stuff. I still enjoy the beats from some of the new stuff, but the lyrics are elementary compared to what it use to be.

NWA, the most talented, influential group of all time.

Although a legend, IMO Eazy E never got enough credit. He was my favorite over all the others... Dre, PAC, Snoop, cube, mc Ren.

Eazy was king!

NWA, the most talented, influential group of all time.

Although a legend, IMO Eazy E never got enough credit. He was my favorite over all the others... Dre, PAC, Snoop, cube, mc Ren.

Eazy was king!

He also found Bone Thugs. I told my wife...I don't care if we're the only white folks...we're seeing the movie in the theater. lol.

Nobody had more swag than Eazy E. He was by far the least talented rapper in NWA, but he was always the showstopper. Dude just had crazy charisma. Still remember hearing about his death while in Johnstone. Still listen to Eazy Duz It regularly.

Easy:
Well I'm Eazy-E, I got bitches galore
You may have a lot of bitches but I got much more
Wit my super duper groupcoming out the chute
Eazy-E, muthafukas cold knocking the boots
Cause I'm a hip-hop thugster, I used to be a mugster
If you heard (Compton), you think I own a drugstore
Getting stupid because I know how
And if a sucker talks shit, I give him a (POW)
8 ball sipping, the bitches are flipping
Slow down, I hit a dip and, continue my tripping
Hitting my switches, collect from my bitches
The money that I make so I can add to my riches
Fill my stash box and start rubbing my gat
Feeling good as hell because my pockets are fat
A hardcore villian cold roaming the streets
And wit a homie like Dre just supplying the beats

Reactions: clemsontigerfan07
Too $hort Cusswords:
It started on a bright morning in 1987
I was in my drop-to Caddy y'all
Gettin sucked by a bitch named Helen
Nasty bitches, around the world, I wrote this rhyme for you
You might not like my rap, but I'm tellin you bitch it's true
So much death in the Oakland streets
Am I gonna live till next week?
Will I get shot by a dope fiend,
Tryin to get high, tryin to steal my ring
I really can't say, cause I don't know why
People out here droppin dead like flies
I used to see a home boy givin five
Now I say, "Man, you still alive?"
Cold as hell, the town I'm from
Won't last too long when you're fakin the funk
I'm the master rapper, so unique
Clap my hand when I want my freak
You can't deny it, you know I'm right
I turn any rapper out when I'm on the mic
And I won't kick back, or relax
Till he knows I'm the best at the MC rap
Till he knows Too Short, set the track
They got him caught up in my serious cap
Mother****er can't spit straight game on the mic
Cause he's worse than a fag or a Frisco dike
He's a sucker MC, I call him punk
You try to spit that rap, you can scratch that junk
You little punk-ass boy, wouldn't listen to me
Think I'm fakin but I'm takin all you sucker MC's
To the end of the world and push you over
Good luck couldn't find you in a four leaf clover
If I ever said a rap, tryin to cap on you,
I wouldn't even sweat it cause you'll be through
Lookin so far up, you might fall down
Gettin clowned by the hound from east Oaktown
And the look in your face when you're lickin that tooth
Could make a grown man die, laughin at you
Cause you're a, no rappin, no rhymin
Played out fake ass simple simon
I never understood one word you said
But you're swearin up and down that you're killin em dead
There's only one thing, I wanted to know
Sucker mother****er, where's the joke?
I'm the player of players, just call me Pop
My name is Too $hort, no I don't stop
I just don't stop mackin, don't stop cappin
Don't stop rappin now you see what happens
Your mind is gone, your crew just cut
Sucker MC I'll tell you what
Your rhymes are weak, your rap the same
And when it comes to game, you are lame
Never even heard of Too $hort baby
Hit Oakland in 1980
Singin mo raps than a rap could rhyme
Tellin sucker MC's don't waste my time

Easy:
Well I'm Eazy-E, I got bitches galore
You may have a lot of bitches but I got much more
Wit my super duper groupcoming out the chute
Eazy-E, muthafukas cold knocking the boots
Cause I'm a hip-hop thugster, I used to be a mugster
If you heard (Compton), you think I own a drugstore
Getting stupid because I know how
And if a sucker talks shit, I give him a (POW)
8 ball sipping, the bitches are flipping
Slow down, I hit a dip and, continue my tripping
Hitting my switches, collect from my bitches
The money that I make so I can add to my riches
Fill my stash box and start rubbing my gat
Feeling good as hell because my pockets are fat
A hardcore villian cold roaming the streets
And wit a homie like Dre just supplying the beats

Slight correction....The line is "If you heard Dopeman, you think I own a drugstore."

ADVERTISEMENT