ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Openly Secular Day! Anyone else in here not religious?

"I see, said the blind man to his deaf and dumb daughter as she scratched her wooden leg"

In times like these, I turn to the wisdom of Futurama. Season 3 episode 12 reads:

Fry: So that's my story, Father Changstein El-Gamal. Is there anything religion can do to help me find my friend?
Father Changstein El-Gamal: Well, we could join together in prayer.
Fry: Uh-huh. But is there anything useful we can do?
Father Changstein El-Gamal: No.

Crickets......
trollybowden.gif

http://www.openlysecularday.org/

Just curious if anyone else is not religious, not trying to start any type of religious debate.

I am definitely not religious; just as Jesus was not religious. He constantly berated the religious. I am thanking Jesus right now for setting me free from religiosity, which includes secular humanism as well. Also, feel free to visit my new Happy EarthDay post in the Round Table.

Reactions: scartiger
I'm not.

I'm convinced that about 85% of people aren't religious. But 90% of those folks don't want to offend their grandmothers, so they play along.

didn't know there way such a thing..im not religious but I couldn't care less about celebrating my not religious views. just seems like another thing to get attention in this world. As a person who isn't religious, I grew up religious until I developed my own opinion. However, I also understand that our country was founded on religious principles and that will have a much louder voice. Im ok with that. I don't feel the need to celebrate the fact I don't believe. It's pretty simple, I just don't believe. I don't understand fighting against something you don't believe. If you are a true non-believer, then the jokes on them, therefore you don't worry about what they believe. Maybe that's just me. I just get tired of the "non-believers" getting offended. True non-believers just don't say anything, b/c we don't believe, lol. Sorry, just hate the "look at me" crowds these days.

Reactions: dposton
I am definitely not religious; just as Jesus was not religious. He constantly berated the religious. I am thanking Jesus right now for setting me free from religiosity, which includes secular humanism as well. Also, feel free to visit my new Happy EarthDay post in the Round Table.
OrangeElvis, you are the MAN!

That's exactly what the secular, and a whole lot of Christians, don't get!
I dislike religion (as did Jesus)! No stained glass, choir robes, chants, or trappings of tradition and formality. Just a personal relationship with Jesus!

No religion.
Just Jesus!

I'm not into religion either dude, but I am into a personal relationship with the King of Kings, Lord Jesus. One day, everyone will confess that he is Lord of all. Either voluntarily now by faith or on your knees confessing when it's obvious to all, in the next age.

Reactions: idohvac2
Is this the first thread of the new forum that goes to the round table to die?

As Christians, we have to constantly face temptations and the attacks of the world around us. Everything we see, read, do, hear, put in our bodies, etc., affects us somehow. That's why, to maintain a close relationship with God, we have to put aside our old ways of doing things—the things we watch on TV, old bad habits (excessive drinking, smoking, etc.), the activities we participate in, and the people we spend our time with. People are divided into only two categories, those who belong to the world and its ruler, Satan, and those who belong to God (Acts 26:18). These two groups of people are described in terms of opposites all through the Bible; e.g., those in darkness/those in the light; those with eternal life/those with eternal death; those who have peace with God/those who are at war with Him; those who believe the truth/those who believe the lies; those on the narrow path to salvation/those on the broad road to destruction, and many more. Clearly, the message of Scripture is that believers are completely different from nonbelievers, and it is from this perspective that we must discern what kind of friendships we can really have with unbelievers.

As Christians, we have to constantly face temptations and the attacks of the world around us. Everything we see, read, do, hear, put in our bodies, etc., affects us somehow. That's why, to maintain a close relationship with God, we have to put aside our old ways of doing things—the things we watch on TV, old bad habits (excessive drinking, smoking, etc.), the activities we participate in, and the people we spend our time with. People are divided into only two categories, those who belong to the world and its ruler, Satan, and those who belong to God (Acts 26:18). These two groups of people are described in terms of opposites all through the Bible; e.g., those in darkness/those in the light; those with eternal life/those with eternal death; those who have peace with God/those who are at war with Him; those who believe the truth/those who believe the lies; those on the narrow path to salvation/those on the broad road to destruction, and many more. Clearly, the message of Scripture is that believers are completely different from nonbelievers, and it is from this perspective that we must discern what kind of friendships we can really have with unbelievers.

As Christians, we have to constantly face temptations and the attacks of the world around us.

must be hard being a christian, with all these non-believers attacking you all the time.

Clearly, the message of Scripture is that believers are completely different from nonbelievers, and it is from this perspective that we must discern what kind of friendships we can really have with unbelievers.

wait, are you seriously saying that you cant be friends with non-believers?

I bet you had the smuggest look on your face after you copy and pasted a select passage from a book that took 300 years to write. Man, you really showed those nonbelievers.

I was with you until that last sentence. Not flaming you, but Jesus was a friend to sinners. He was also accused of being a drunkard and a glutton by the religious. Why? He was seen eating and drinking with sinners by the religious leaders.

I was with you until that last sentence. Not flaming you, but Jesus was a friend to sinners. He was also accused of being a drunkard and a glutton by the religious. Why? He was seen eating and drinking with sinners by the religious leaders.

Yep. OE is on again.

Jesus = friend of sinners.
Jesus = grace, NOT law (He came to save us from the 10 commandments).
Jesus = love.

No religion.
Just Jesus.

Reactions: PawPride
jbvarnad, what did you seriously expect when you started this thread? You said, "not trying to start any type of religious debate"; but, you knew that was what you were doing. Why are you surprised?

Yep. OE is on again.

Jesus = friend of sinners.
Jesus = grace, NOT law (He came to save us from the 10 commandments).
Jesus = love.

No religion.
Just Jesus.

RTO is right. He's not saying that you can't be friends with unbelievers, he's just saying that you have to be careful. Jesus had no problem, he faced temptation and stood firm. I'm not that strong yet, not even close. I know that if I hang out with certain people, I will do certain things, things that I shouldn't do. Things that I don't really want to do but I can't resist the temptation of my previous life. I didn't just stop being friends with everyone from my past, if I did that, how would they see the transformation in my life and hopefully see the light themselves. No, I just have to be careful about how much time I spend with them and when.

A Christian's friendship with unbelievers is just as important, or even more so, than with fellow Christians.

jbvarnad, what did you seriously expect when you started this thread? You said, "not trying to start any type of religious debate"; but, you knew that was what you were doing. Why are you surprised?

Well, I was trying to find out if there were any other folks in the same boat as me. Seriously. Not sure why that's such a problem for some people. If you're not non-religious, atheist, agnostic, humanist, etc - then don't reply. Pretty simple.

ADVERTISEMENT