ADVERTISEMENT

It is a beautiful day in South Carolina.

Until this mess started I honestly forgot it was up there.

I understand removing it. I think it was probably the right call and I am completely okay with it. But does it REALLY impact anyone's life that much?

What's gonna be hilarious is when people figure out that removing it didn't miraculously fix the problems in SC - racial or otherwise.

When the ACC baseball championships and an NCAA championship or two return to South Carolina, you will see that there are benefits to this change. I think the nation's views on South Carolina are more positive because of this change. Maybe I see that more clearly because I don't live in the state.

No, racism won't end overnight. The public schools won't suddenly get better. Jobs won't suddenly be more plentiful. Still, it is a step in the right direction.

Who ever suggested that "removing it WOULD miraculously fix the problems in SC?" But if it is the right thing to do, just do the right thing without expectation of miracles.

I think the nation's views on South Carolina are more positive because of this change.

Do. Not. Give. A. Fck.

Glad it's down, but I'm so tired of everybody else outside of the state giving us advice and offering their opinion. Your state has its own problems that are bigger than a flag. Shut the fck up.

*not directed at OP

I don't really care either way, but it is amazing how many MORE rebel flags I have seen flying around the last few days here in Georgia.

Be careful what comes next...one day they will want to change the town / school name of our Tigers.

This thread is a microcosm this board on *insert any political issue here*.

Use of mutual exclusivity when it doesn't apply/Straw men/False dilemma. Ignorance. Lack of empathy. Trolling. And worst of all, cynicism.

We're trying to be more like you. Be patient.

Do. Not. Give. A. Fck.

Glad it's down, but I'm so tired of everybody else outside of the state giving us advice and offering their opinion. Your state has its own problems that are bigger than a flag. Shut the fck up.

*not directed at OP

This. It offended most black South Carolinians, that's the only reason I wanted it down. If you aren't from SC, your opinion means nothing.

The flag literally bought nothing positive to the state. SC lost revenue because of it. No business every decided to relocate to SC because of it. Taking it down isn't going to cause any real change in the lives of black Americans or white Americas. Nobody really argued that it was going to cause any real change. You take it down because the state is better with it down than up and it is the right thing to do.

What kind of flag are they flying in Baltimore that's getting people murdered on a daily basis? Got to be some kind of flag that's generating all of that animosity....

Reactions: scartiger
They can tak e it off the statehouse grounds but they can't take it off my flagpole. Eat it Yankees

They can tak e it off the statehouse grounds but they can't take it off my flagpole. Eat it Yankees

What do the Yankees have to do with it??? They're playing the Red Sox this weekend. What's your point???

Reactions: tygerfan28
What do the Yankees have to do with it??? They're playing the Red Sox this weekend. What's your point???
I don't think Yankees are the enemy in your battle, all sorts of people across the board wanted this to happen.

ACC baseball tourney in Myrtle Beach. I see it happening. Just as close the the 'holes and pack as Clemson so it should be workable.

What's gonna be hilarious is when people figure out that removing it didn't miraculously fix the problems in SC - racial or otherwise.

Hold on, you guys aren't trolling with these comments? You actually believe the intent of removing the flag was to fix these problems? Goodness...

The intent wasn't to fix racism or gun violence. It was to simply remove a symbol that was offensive to many people, a symbol that wasn't even representative of SC in the civil war, a symbol that was originally put on the state house as a direct middle finger to civil rights and a symbol that made our wonderful state look backward, sophomoric and quite frankly, redneck.

Some of you guys need to broaden your perspective. To steele's point above, the flag literally did nothing positive for our state. I don't agree with the broader reach of this discussion - like taking all of the civil war flags off of Fort Sumter (none being the battle flag in question) - but the issue at the state house was as clear cut as it could possibly be.

Until this mess started I honestly forgot it was up there.

I understand removing it. I think it was probably the right call and I am completely okay with it. But does it REALLY impact anyone's life that much?

Sure didn't seem to bother all the yanks flooding in here....

When the ACC baseball championships and an NCAA championship or two return to South Carolina, you will see that there are benefits to this change. I think the nation's views on South Carolina are more positive because of this change. Maybe I see that more clearly because I don't live in the state.

No, racism won't end overnight. The public schools won't suddenly get better. Jobs won't suddenly be more plentiful. Still, it is a step in the right direction.

Who ever suggested that "removing it WOULD miraculously fix the problems in SC?" But if it is the right thing to do, just do the right thing without expectation of miracles.

The part in bold is exactly what bothers me about this whole thing.
If all the legislators thought it was the right thing to do, why was it still there? They could have voted to take it down anytime over the last decade. That's not what happened. What happened was that the state leaders of SC got bullied and pressured in to doing something they obviously did not agree with because they have not done it until now.
There is no question that this will improve the "perception" of SC by all the media and many outside the state - but that is not a good enough reason to do it. Do it because you think it is right or don't do it at all.
Frankly, I have been on the fence on this issue for a long time. I don't think you should just accept the fact that the flag is a symbol of hate just because some people say it is or are offended by it. There is no doubt that some people who support keeping the flag are racists - no doubt at all. However, I would be willing to bet that there are more people (in the south) that view the flag as a symbol of heritage and respect for those (including family members) who fought in the war and who see the flag as a symbol of a fight for states rights and against northern oppression of the south at the time and even support of states right today.

I fall in the latter category. This does not mean that I don't understand the other viewpoint- I just don't think that is the true intended meaning of the flag. Honestly, if the legislature had taken up the issue out of the blue and decided to take it down, I would feel differently than I do now. You just shouldn't let someone bully you into doing something you don't believe in - and that is exactly what happened. A bunch of weak minded, spineless, representatives with no moral character caved to political/media pressure. Frankly, I am less proud to be from SC today than yesterday and it has nothing to do with the flag and everything to do with having leaders that have no ethics.

What state do you live in?

I used to support the flag, but after it killed those 9 people in Charleston, I can't really back it anymore.

And it is a good thing that racism ended at 10am this morning.

Now we must go after the others who did this crime:

98efb54cdd4d6ec0e1a653c538be8731.png

(He wore a Gold's Gym tank top)

logo_hyundai.png

(Drove a Hyundai)

Glock-logo.jpg

(and shot a Glock)

And the true hive of scum and villany in this state:
williams-brice-2.jpg

I'm okay with pulling the flag down, but that won't really fix anything.

Last edited:
Back in 2000 when the compromise to take the flag down off the capital was to move it and build a African American Monument. Is the monument being removed also? People just don't get it. Government is going in a direction that we have never seen. Anytime the law can make a baker make a cake that he/she doesn't believe in and fine them over 150,000 dollars and then put a gag order on them it's a dangerous time we're moving to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT