ADVERTISEMENT

Labor Union lawsuit

lctiger831

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2010
In case some of yall were wondering, the SCOTUS handed down a fatal blow to the South Carolina State Port today. Thus allowing labor unions access to the jobs at Hugh Leatherman Terminal. HUGE win for the ILA!

Link

some know that in my previous career I was responsible for deploying IT systems in airports across the globe. After developing deployment and recurring maintenance solutions, I’m no fan of “Union labor”. One of my favorite stories is that I had to pay a Union electrician to be onsite (at a airport that shall remain nameless) while my deployment team plugged in 800 workstations (PCs) and associated peripherals. The guy sat there eating sandwiches while my guys worked, BUT if we didn’t involve the Union they would’ve broken our stuff. They inflated our costs while providing no value, but we HAD to have them.

Anywhooooo after the 2023 I had (some know what happened), there needs to be better worker protections in this country. Mass layoffs while corporations are reporting record profits and executive bonuses is wrong …..

I’ll be there for an event Friday night. Will the bartenders be unionized?
I saw they had something going on there. Hopefully it’s a shipping line coming in with their checkbook wanting to take it over. SPA is a bunch of incompetent jackasses.

Only a couple of weeks ago Governor Foghorn Leghorn promised to fight unions to the 'gates of hell." It seems we arrived at the gates of hell pretty quickly.
We voted to send him a gift basket 😂

I've never understood absolutist attitudes towards unions. There are positives and negatives.
Fir the worker, labor unions have proven out to be overwhelmingly positive. For the employer, the opposite is true. So yeah, positives and negatives depending on who you are I guess.

I've never understood absolutist attitudes towards unions. There are positives and negatives.
Agreed!! The stories like that one above are horrible and show how unions F things up with a capitol F. On the other hand, counting on large companies to "look after" their workers doesn't work any better. There's got to be a common sense middle ground here.

What about the consumer?
The vast majority of consumers fall into the working class. Big businesses have done a fantastic marketing job to paint unions as villainous and pit consumers against their own self interest.

Instead of blaming union employees, who on average make more more money and have more protections than non-union employees, consumers should try to get their own union protections so that they too can have more money and more protections.

Unionization and price increases aren’t necessarily always directly correlated. Companies very typically use unionization (and other external factors - we’ve seen this recently with supply chain issues) as an excuse to raise prices more than the actual cost of the higher union wages. To be sure, this is their right as a private business, but let’s be sure to lay blame for price increases in the right places.

Fir the worker, labor unions have proven out to be overwhelmingly positive. For the employer, the opposite is true. So yeah, positives and negatives depending on who you are I guess.
Of course. I'd just say that what's good for the workers may not always be good society at large, but as a general principle, I'm going to side with the workers

Reactions: fatpiggy and okclem
The vast majority of consumers fall into the working class. Big businesses have done a fantastic marketing job to paint unions as villainous and pit consumers against their own self interest.

Instead of blaming union employees, who on average make more more money and have more protections than non-union employees, consumers should try to get their own union protections so that they too can have more money and more protections.

Unionization and price increases aren’t necessarily always directly correlated. Companies very typically use unionization (and other external factors - we’ve seen this recently with supply chain issues) as an excuse to raise prices more than the actual cost of the higher union wages. To be sure, this is their right as a private business, but let’s be sure to lay blame for price increases in the right places.
This is really well put.

Reactions: okclem
some know that in my previous career I was responsible for deploying IT systems in airports across the globe. After developing deployment and recurring maintenance solutions, I’m no fan of “Union labor”. One of my favorite stories is that I had to pay a Union electrician to be onsite (at a airport that shall remain nameless) while my deployment team plugged in 800 workstations (PCs) and associated peripherals. The guy sat there eating sandwiches while my guys worked, BUT if we didn’t involve the Union they would’ve broken our stuff. They inflated our costs while providing no value, but we HAD to have them.

Anywhooooo after the 2023 I had (some know what happened), there needs to be better worker protections in this country. Mass layoffs while corporations are reporting record profits and executive bonuses is wrong …..
Unions have always been a good thing. They're obviously prone to corruption, but you take the good with the bad. The protections they afford workers from corporate overlords are worth the price of internal corruption.

Workers have less protections and fewer rights now, TODAY, than they have at any time since the industrial revolution. The destruction of labor unions was the worst thing to ever happen to the American workforce. It's not a political issue. The only people who are truly anti union are corporate executives. Republicans just take it up as a political cause because their dumbass constituents will believe them when they say unions are communism.

Reactions: lctiger831
I’m a consumer, and not a worker in an industry that has unions. ~10% of jobs are union, so in the vast majority of cases, this isn’t true.
Do you ever look at anything through the prism of "how does this affect others" first? Or do you just automatically default to "how does this affect me?"

Unions have always been a good thing. They're obviously prone to corruption, but you take the good with the bad. The protections they afford workers from corporate overlords are worth the price of internal corruption.

Workers have less protections and fewer rights now, TODAY, than they have at any time since the industrial revolution. The destruction of labor unions was the worst thing to ever happen to the American workforce. It's not a political issue. The only people who are truly anti union are corporate executives. Republicans just take it up as a political cause because their dumbass constituents will believe them when they say unions are communism.
You can thank Reagan

Do you ever look at anything through the prism of "how does this affect others" first? Or do you just automatically default to "how does this affect me?"

Used myself as an example, while pointing out that 90% of workers are not in unions. The vast majority are in professions with no unionization.

Reactions: fatpiggy
Used myself as an example, while pointing out that 90% of workers are not in unions. The vast majority are in professions with no unionization.
And the point that myself and others are making is that more than 10% of the workforce should be unionized and the only reason they aren’t is because employers go to significant lengths to squash any union movements and have convinced a large portion of the public that unions are this horrible thing that hurts them.

It’s a classic game of pitting the consumer vs. the worker when, in fact, the interests of the worker and consumer should be aligned.

Used myself as an example, while pointing out that 90% of workers are not in unions. The vast majority are inssions with no unionization.
It's not just itt. And the reason for the dearth of unions is your party conspiring with corporate leadership. The country needs a strong labor union force.

What’s funny is that McMaster made his gates of hell speech about unions and we ended up winning the lawsuit a week later 😂 The dude is such a clown.
The SPA employees were getting updates from Barbra Melvin about the lawsuit and a lot of the guys knew it was going our way when the updates stopped coming.
“Dont go Union! We are a family!” Meanwhile Melvin makes over 500k a year, drives a new BMW, has country club membership and a housing allowance and the SPA operators didn’t get their raises that was promised months ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT