ADVERTISEMENT

Lindsey Graham joins the republican field. Question for y'all:

Tygur

The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Feb 2, 2002
Varnville, SC
how many republican tiger fans out there would not vote for him strictly because he's a coot grad? That's my only gripe about him...

I realize the hatred for all things USCjr but our country has bigger problems than to worry where a Presidential candidate went to school. And Graham is a RINO and I would not vote for him.

Didn't know he was a coot, but that doesn't sway my opinion...I'm not voting for him.

He has no realistic chance and is just messing things up by including himself in an already crowded field. Don't think the coot thing has much to do with it. Don't view him as anti CU. He's smarter than that.

I realize the hatred for all things USCjr but our country has bigger problems than to worry where a Presidential candidate went to school. And Graham is a RINO and I would not vote for him.
RINO? That's laughable. What a dumb statement. And why the GOP will not win the presidency for a LOOOONG time. Go ahead, vote for Cruz. Hillary will win in a landslide.

Another question to everyone to answer then - is there a republican who is currently in the field who you think could win the general election? Unfortunately, it seems like republicans shoot themselves in the foot by caring more about who is the most conservative member as opposed to comparing potential republican candidates against the democrats. I would rather have a moderate republican in the whitehouse than Hilary.

He outspoken against gay rights even though he's not gay he does put penises in his mouth until the swelling goes down.
Huh? Someone in there is a coherent thought. I just can't find it.

I actually was impressed with him during the confirmation hearings for Justice Sotomayor. He was relentless and did a great job, IMHO. I'm sure it's still out on YouTube if you're interested. I used the video in a presentation in grad school on being calm under fire.

As to his chances, I have no idea. I would expect many would've given Obama not much of a chance against Billary years ago.

What are Graham's biggest negatives to most of yall?
Graham's biggest problem is that he's too liberal for most conservatives -- see the RINO comment above -- and too conservative for most liberals. We have a guy at my office who refers to him as "Lindsey the Liberal," but I personally believe his stated willingness to compromise across party lines makes him an intriguing candidate.

Too many in this county are so caught up in bashing the other party they never stop to consider we're all Americans and that should mean something. For every member of the Cloyd Rivers fan club, there is a liberal who is just as intolerant of the other side's beliefs (witness the recent Dabo Swinney debacle and how the liberal media made a mountain out of that molehill).

There's also the not-so-small issue that most believe he's homosexual, which would be less of a problem if he actually WERE a liberal. Hell, if he came out of the closet and ran on an ultra-liberal ticket, he'd probably win. But instead, he's a middle-aged, single, slightly effeminate man ... who actually is a Republican.

Graham's biggest problem is that he's too liberal for most conservatives -- see the RINO comment above -- and too conservative for most liberals. We have a guy at my office who refers to him as "Lindsey the Liberal," but I personally believe his stated willingness to compromise across party lines makes him an intriguing candidate.

Too many in this county are so caught up in bashing the other party they never stop to consider we're all Americans and that should mean something. For every member of the Cloyd Rivers fan club, there is a liberal who is just as intolerant of the other side's beliefs (witness the recent Dabo Swinney debacle and how the liberal media made a mountain out of that molehill).

There's also the not-so-small issue that most believe he's homosexual, which would be less of a problem if he actually WERE a liberal. Hell, if he came out of the closet and ran on an ultra-liberal ticket, he'd probably win. But instead, he's a middle-aged, single, slightly effeminate man ... who actually is a Republican.
This is my belief as well. I want the most cosnervative person possible in the white house. If that means republicans dont get their staunchest conservative, I won't care as long as it the most conservative person who can still win the whitehouse.

Some of the above posts highlight what's wrong with this country in a nutshell. Graham's votes conservative 85% of the time... those are stats from some conservative think tank. As Ronald Reagan said: "When someone agrees with you 75% of the time, that person is your friend, not your enemy". I wouldn't vote for Graham because he's a little too socially conservative for me personally and I definitely disagree with him on foreign policy, but I agree on his fiscally conservative stance. We could do worse than him as President.

Graham is a statesman. He will work with the other party to get SOME of what he wants. In return, the other side gets SOME of what they want. That's the way our system is supposed to work. Compromise. Work with your fellow Americans, even when they don't agree with you. We've gotten to a very bad place when compromise has become a bad word.

We don't have to look very far to see what happens when conservatives and liberals "win". Check out California's economy. What a disaster. Companies are fleeing that state as fast as they can. That's what you get when you keep taxing and taxing and throwing that money away on government programs that don't work. The liberals won, and look what they did with it.

For the other side of the coin, look at Louisiana and Kansas. Again, what a disaster. They don't have enough money to provide basic education for their citizens. That's what you get when you cut taxes and cut taxes and keep saying how that's going to boost the economy and the money will come rolling in. The conservatives won and look what they did with it.

The answer is as usual, somewhere in the middle. Too bad we as a society are now conditioned by our media to tear down anyone who doesn't agree 100% with everything we think and moderate is as dirty a word as compromise.

I think he just appears gay because he's a coot grad. Just sayin...

I'll just point out how even more intolerable coot fans would be if they had a U.S. President alum to brag about.

Reactions: SWUtigers
Another question to everyone to answer then - is there a republican who is currently in the field who you think could win the general election? Unfortunately, it seems like republicans shoot themselves in the foot by caring more about who is the most conservative member as opposed to comparing potential republican candidates against the democrats. I would rather have a moderate republican in the whitehouse than Hilary.

Nope.

The Republicans that could possibly win will never be able to secure the nomination due to the ultra right in the party base. Primary voters are out of touch and wont vote for a conservative candidate who supports gay marriage or any form of immigration reform that doesnt include rounding up all illegals and deporting them (which is impossible). As a result the Republicans will either have a lunatic moron, or a candidate that has "adjusted" their opinion to far right to get the nomination and then "re-adjusted" to move back to the center which will result in a turkey shoot during the debates.

Reactions: Jokes On You
i'm a huge supporter of his candidacy, not because I think he would be the best president in the field but because I think he will improve the quality of the debate, if he can get enough attention. right now i'd probably vote for Kasich in the primary, but i'll let him get there on his own / with his own network... only candidate I'd really be willing to help right now would be Graham because he'll address issues, look for compromise, and ignore the bs politics.

I think he'd make a strong secretary of defense. don't see him bringing much to the table as a VP candidate... although we've seen lately that VPs usually won't deliver their state so i can't say any VP really brings anything to the table.

RINO? That's laughable. What a dumb statement. And why the GOP will not win the presidency for a LOOOONG time. Go ahead, vote for Cruz. Hillary will win in a landslide.
Hillary won't get elected.

You confuse what Republicans are today. There are a majority of Republican voters that wouldn't piss on the GOP to put out a fire. They're the voters from 2014. If you called those voters in 2014 Republicans then you'd be wrong....VERY wrong. Look to Wisconsin to find your next "Republican" candidate.

Reactions: SWUtigers
Yeah, someone who is a moderate republican could take the White House.

Wait, that didn't work for McCain.

Lindsay is a younger clone of McCain. Boring with stale ideas that appeal to nobody minus being a POW.

The next president will be the one who is most likable and most vague on important issues. That is what this country has become. True leadership and solid ideas no longer matter.

The words "conservative" and "Graham" don't belong in the same sentence. I'm actually glad Graham is running because he will get exposed as the big spending neocon that he really is. When it comes to fiscal issues, he has sided with Obama more often than not.

I would consider him an embarrassment to true conservatives in SC.

If I am a strong fiscal conservative but a social moderate to liberal. I see health care as a fiscal issue and think most of the current policy blows. I have no issue with gay marriage or a woman's right to choose. I believe in school vouchers but also think more can be done for schools k-12, while also looking for better ways to deal with college debt (and if so many different schools is the best use of resources). I think that isolationism has its benefits, and that our best use of foreign policy is empowerment of other countries to defend themselves. I hate this Iran nuclear policy.

Do I have your vote?

Unless he has something big come out, I am of the opinion that Marco Rubio will win. Historically if you look at past races, good looking young men will almost always win when up against older statesmen. Hillary is the first woman so that could throw a wrench in my prediction but I have a feeling that we are going to see all this stuff catch up with her. She is running from the media daily, it's kind of hilarious.

Reactions: Tygur
So far, Rubio is my favorite. I like his story and he's not a coot. Also, he seems to not be an ultra right religious zealot, yet appears to be fiscally conservative.

Just for the record Lindsey Graham is from Seneca and I'm pretty sure only a Coot out of necessity. Almost every politician(except Nikki) has to go to Carolina at some point if they're from SC

Some of the above posts highlight what's wrong with this country in a nutshell. Graham's votes conservative 85% of the time... those are stats from some conservative think tank. As Ronald Reagan said: "When someone agrees with you 75% of the time, that person is your friend, not your enemy". I wouldn't vote for Graham because he's a little too socially conservative for me personally and I definitely disagree with him on foreign policy, but I agree on his fiscally conservative stance. We could do worse than him as President.

Graham is a statesman. He will work with the other party to get SOME of what he wants. In return, the other side gets SOME of what they want. That's the way our system is supposed to work. Compromise. Work with your fellow Americans, even when they don't agree with you. We've gotten to a very bad place when compromise has become a bad word.

We don't have to look very far to see what happens when conservatives and liberals "win". Check out California's economy. What a disaster. Companies are fleeing that state as fast as they can. That's what you get when you keep taxing and taxing and throwing that money away on government programs that don't work. The liberals won, and look what they did with it.

For the other side of the coin, look at Louisiana and Kansas. Again, what a disaster. They don't have enough money to provide basic education for their citizens. That's what you get when you cut taxes and cut taxes and keep saying how that's going to boost the economy and the money will come rolling in. The conservatives won and look what they did with it.

The answer is as usual, somewhere in the middle. Too bad we as a society are now conditioned by our media to tear down anyone who doesn't agree 100% with everything we think and moderate is as dirty a word as compromise.
1536.gif

ADVERTISEMENT