ADVERTISEMENT

Military Recruiting Idea to Raise Numbers of Candidates

PalmettoTiger1

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2009
Have seen some articles on military missing quotas and had this thought that with the price of college maybe we need to go back to the good ole days

Offer a college loan that you could go for 4 years undergraduate and then have the opportunity to do a masters

The loan would then need to be repaid in full as a ballon payment or military service of 6 years for undergraduate degree or 8 years for masters degree as an officer

Option to extend service to 12 years with funds to provide Doctorate Degree

Similar offer to send folks through trade school or tech school like carpenter plumber electrician mechanic etc as enlisted to serve 4 years

Any thoughts or suggestions

Doesn’t this already exist as rotc? But yes, creating options to get an education is a good thing. Just understand that the federal govt would need to pay for this.

I was actually in ROTC at Clemson in 1973 when the ROTC Instructor came in and said you all get A and don’t come to class rest of semester

Paris Peace Talks ended war and we all were dropped from the program

The ROTC program was not a full ride but paid some money

I am talking full ride in specialties such as computer science, engineering, business management

Other stuff the military needs for high tech warfare

Full scholarship you repay if you don’t want to serve

Or serve is written off

Possibly do some OJT while going to school

Yes this would be a Federal military recruiting program to get the brightest folks who could not afford high college costs out there today

I was actually in ROTC at Clemson in 1973 when the ROTC Instructor came in and said you all get A and don’t come to class rest of semester

Paris Peace Talks ended war and we all were dropped from the program

The ROTC program was not a full ride but paid some money

I am talking full ride in specialties such as computer science, engineering, business management

Other stuff the military needs for high tech warfare

Full scholarship you repay if you don’t want to serve

Or serve is written off

Possibly do some OJT while going to school
I have a friend in Arkansas whose son signed up after his junior year in HS. He's already done basic training and they are now going to pay for him to go to university right out of HS while doing ROTC. Not a bad deal.

Have seen some articles on military missing quotas and had this thought that with the price of college maybe we need to go back to the good ole days

Offer a college loan that you could go for 4 years undergraduate and then have the opportunity to do a masters

The loan would then need to be repaid in full as a ballon payment or military service of 6 years for undergraduate degree or 8 years for masters degree as an officer

Option to extend service to 12 years with funds to provide Doctorate Degree

Similar offer to send folks through trade school or tech school like carpenter plumber electrician mechanic etc as enlisted to serve 4 years

Any thoughts or suggestions
GI bill gives you 8 semesters free. Comes with only one enlistment. Along the vein of your post, offer funding of a masters also if you stay for 5 yrs

To add sn idea to this maybe also it could cover medical field people that would do 4 years and then do low level medical work such as a physicians assistant or similar but not a doctors

maybe fixing wounds sewing stuff up giving out pills etc stuff not needing a full blown doctor as the medical field is needing more people

i keep hearing we need more ilots and air traffic controllers

just saying it seems we need to build upthe military with highly educated and skilled folks

To be honest I know very little about the available programs

Just seems like offering very attractive college education benefits would help fill the military recruitment needs

Educate me on what is available

Somebody told me about signing up on the Army Reserve and it had something similar to my description

Again would love to be educated about the possibilities

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT