ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dabo's statement on turning down the award from the PFC

Smiling_Tiger

Woodrush
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2011
I hope this is a 1 post thread and doesn't turn into another pissing match that gets moved but I'm guessing it will.

Dabo turned down the award and released this statement:

I was recently selected by the Palmetto Family Council, an organization with which I have no association, as their “South Carolina Family Champion of 2015” and was invited to receive this recognition at an event sponsored by the group on June 2. I had no idea that I was being invited into a political controversy. It was my understanding that the nomination and selection for this award was based on the work done by our All In Foundation and the difference it is making in our community. My acceptance of this award was to be on behalf of all the volunteers that make our foundation a success. The work of our foundation is intended to build a better community and be a positive influence.

Recently, my scheduled participation in this event has been perceived incorrectly as an endorsement of certain viewpoints and has entered the political arena. I have been out of town since last Thursday and am disappointed that this has become a distraction for me, my team and many others. I have been and continue to be very open about my personal beliefs. However, I do not inject those beliefs or the work of the foundation into the political process.

I appreciate the recognition of my and the foundation's efforts. However, after much thought, in order to avoid a distraction for the team and the entire football program, I've decided it is in the best interests of all involved that I not attend the event on June 2.

giphy.gif

Funny, we just had a thread about how Barker caved into "media pressure" when he banned the team from a bowl after the brawl. He was perceived as an idiot for by fan base for doing this. Yet, this is the same situation and Dabo is praised. They are the same exact situation and are perceived different. I guess that is where bias comes in, but people are too blind to see it.

Last edited:
Sad that it was some chicken politician who had to make a big deal out of some group his own school's AD has spoken to but glad Dabo turned it down. These groups took a major hit with the Josh Duggar scandal this wknd and it's just time for a person like Dabo to focus on his job, coaching football.

I generally love Summer but I'm already ready for fall & football.

Reactions: SWUtigers
Funny, we just had a thread about how Barker caved into "media pressure" when he banned the team from a bowl after the brawl. He was perceived as an idiot for our fan base for doing this. Yet, this is the same situation and Dabo is praised. They are the same exact situation and are perceived difference. I guess that is where bias comes in, but people are too blind to see it.

Didn't read that thread, but I'm not sure how they're the same situations. We as a team facilitated the ban because it was a brawl. Dabo turns down something that was perceived as a negative by the PC police. I get that what transpired might be one in the same, but the situations were totally different.

Reactions: LVC11
So one loud mouth democrat cries and whines and u tuck your tail? Ray Tanner was at the same thing a couple years ago. Damn if I let one idiot Make a decision for me.

Reactions: Hilton Head Tiger
Didn't read that thread, but I'm not sure how they're the same situations. We as a team facilitated the ban because it was a brawl. Dabo turns down something that was perceived as a negative by the PC police. I get that what transpired might be one in the same, but the situations were totally different.

They were both turned down to appease the PC police.

Reactions: DABOOMA
I get why he did it.

Complete bullshit though. I should be able to believe what I want to believe. If I don't believe in alternative lifestyles, then so be it. Why should that crowd force me to shut up?

It's pathetic how the pro side is forcing the other side to either believe and agree or have their own constitutional rights trampled on. Pathetic.

Reactions: cutigers76
Funny, we just had a thread about how Barker caved into "media pressure" when he banned the team from a bowl after the brawl. He was perceived as an idiot for by fan base for doing this. Yet, this is the same situation and Dabo is praised. They are the same exact situation and are perceived different. I guess that is where bias comes in, but people are too blind to see it.
No, it's not. This is a personal decision by an individual who runs a team. Barker was pretty much a politician who was too worried about what others thought all the time who was neither a coach or a leader.

And this is a little bit bigger than some football brawl that was halfway caused by chicken negligence. I get what you're saying but it's apples & oranges - and stop making this about Barker. Geeze, the dude is no longer the president of Clemson & we've moved on.

So one loud mouth democrat cries and whines and u tuck your tail? Ray Tanner was at the same thing a couple years ago. Damn if I let one idiot Make a decision for me.
Understand how you feel, but I think Dabo made this decision. No one made it for him. That's what a man and leader does.

Reactions: tigerworx
I get why he did it.

Complete bullshit though. I should be able to believe what I want to believe. If I don't believe in alternative lifestyles, then so be it. Why should that crowd force me to shut up?

It's pathetic how the pro side is forcing the other side to either believe and agree or have their own constitutional rights trampled on. Pathetic.
Nobody forced Dabo, he just realized it was stupid to be viewed in the same light as that organization. No need to try to create a victim here...

Nobodies constitution rights on either side of the debate have been trampled as the government has yet to prosecute anybody for a crime due to their speech on the subject.

Reactions: drprice and slingle
Nicely worded and true... Personally, I doubt Dabo gives the LGB community any thought at all. Best to stay out of that fight at all costs. IMHO it's kind of like abortion... everyone has a side and there's nothing anyone from the 'other' side can say or do to change anyone's mind. There's no need to even discuss it... nothing get accomplished and everyone gets mad.

Reactions: OTR/Tiger
Liberals are without a doubt, the most hypocritical intolerant assholes on the planet.
He has risen indeed! Christianity is not a religion but a relationship with the creator's one and only son...

Glad Dabo came to his senses on this. I'm sure Perry Noble is heart broken.

I don't think it was about coming to his senses. I'm not sure if he was aware of their stance. Regardless the way this was spun was ridiculous. But its the world we live in where people will believe anything and everything that is put on the internet, check your facebook for proof

Sad. Does anyone know what political ties the Palmetto Family Council has?

Liberals are without a doubt, the most hypocritical intolerant assholes on the planet.
He has risen indeed! Christianity is not a religion but a relationship with the creator's one and only son...
Interesting coming from the biggest troll on TI.

Same exact situation? It literally is not and cannot be the exact same situation. Comparable, maybe. Keep on editing...

Reactions: TigerDutch
Sad. Does anyone know what political ties the Palmetto Family Council has?

They are a state affiliate of Focus On The Family.

The organization is mainly in the news because they are probably the most ardent supporters against gay rights. They are a strong Fundamentalist Christian Organization. Obviously considered extremely right wing, but don't have any official political affiliation.

They had another arm Family Research Council that split off after a 10 year partnership. This was where Josh Duggar worked before it came out that he molested kids.

Last edited:
They are a state affiliate of Focus On The Family.

The organization is mainly in the news because they are probably the most ardent supporters against gay rights. They are a strong Fundamentalist Christian Organization. Obviously considered extremely right wing, but don't have any official political affiliation.[/QUOT

Apples and oranges. Actually apples and oranges are way more similar than the two completely different scenarios you are trying to compare.

Reactions: ChiefTiger
When you say State affiliate; do they receive money from the state?

Is this a troll? Are you honestly calling an entire group of people intolerant a-holes and then talking about a relationship with the risen Christ?

If you google "Dabo gay" these are the headlines that come up:
Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney raising money for anti-gay organization
Clemson's Dabo Swinney attending fundraiser for anti-gay ... www.si.com
Dabo Swinney Set To Appear At Right-Wing, Anti-Gay Group

clearly the spin machine was waaay out of control here. At no point was Dabo "fundraising for an anti-gay group" but this was the message that was getting out. I totally believe what was in Dabo's statement. I also believe that this group awarded Dabo this award at least in part to milk the publicity off it. Good for Coach Swinney for getting off this ride as fast as he could, because it clearly was not going to end well.

ADVERTISEMENT