ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Inshore Fishing

Clemblack

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
Please answer the following questions:

1. I caught a few trout on a gulp shrimp that I put on a jig head. I tied the jig head right onto my line. Now I'm reading that I'm supposed to be using a leader. What kind of leader to use? What is the purpose of a leader?

2. Why is braided line supposedly better than monofilament?

Trout can see the braided line use Fluorocarbon as the leader. I used a cork and live shrimp mostly. Have used a jig with gulp and voodoo shrimp. Lots of ways to catch them. Live shrimp for me produced the best but not always available. Good Luck.

If you catch fish that all that matters.

Don't read into what other people say, just do what works on that particular day.

What you just did might not work next time so you might need to try something different but if you catching fish sounds like you're winning at the moment.

Reactions: tiger orange
You don't need to use a leader, but if you choose to I like 12-15lbs Fluorocarbon. Also Braided line is stronger and doesn't break as easy as mono, you can also feel strikes much better on braid.

Braid on the rod with a slip cork and then a trout leader that has 18" mono with treble hook. hook shrimp, reel in trout and do it all over again. Had a good weekend with trout and flounder...

Braid has two big advantages over monofilament: 1) it resists all the line twist issues you get with monofilament 2) It has a much smaller diameter than monofilament of the same breaking strength so you can cast much further. 10 pound braid is the same diameter as most 2 pound monofilament. But braid is much more visible since it's not clear like mono or fluorocarbon, so you need to tie on a 2 foot section of mono or fluoro leader so the fish don't see your line as well. I usually use 20 pound fluoro for inshore in SC. Fluorocarbon is much less visible than mono and has better abrasion resistance so it makes a great leader material, but it is expensive. Use a Uni to Uni knot to join your fluorocarbon to your braid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT