ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Myrtle Beach Restaurant recommendations.....

stigers91

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
I am going next weekend to Northern most par of Myrtle Beach and staying in the Cherry Grove section. Any good food recommendations. We like pretty much anything. I've always wanted to try Greg Norman's restaurant at Barefoot landing. I loved Thoroughbred's, but it has been years since I have been back so unsure if still as good as before. Also, Calabash is near by, so any good suggestions there.

Thanks in advance.

Calabash. .....Seafood Hut or Ella's. The Seafood Hut may not look like much but it is damn good. Tony's Pizza in Calabash is good too. Drive on up to Shallotte to the Inlet View Grill if you can. Crabby Oddwaters is near Little River.

I am going next weekend to Northern most par of Myrtle Beach and staying in the Cherry Grove section. Any good food recommendations. We like pretty much anything. I've always wanted to try Greg Norman's restaurant at Barefoot landing. I loved Thoroughbred's, but it has been years since I have been back so unsure if still as good as before. Also, Calabash is near by, so any good suggestions there.

Thanks in advance.
Greg Norman's is good, 21 Main, Thoroughbred's, Benny Rappas Trattoria to name a few.

Reactions: nmerritt11
I went to collectors cafe last week for th first time and highly recommend.

what type of dining experience is this? Casual, lunch type place, or a little bit of everything? thanks,

It's a little bit of everything. Very cool atmosphere and $25-40 entrees so not cheap but is casual. I took customers two nights in a row. Owner is also an artist and sells his paintings there. I think he is a clemson grad.

Had veal one night and it came with an amazing Mac and cheese. Next night I got surf and turf special that was on point as well.

It's a little bit of everything. Very cool atmosphere and $25-40 entrees so not cheap but is casual. I took customers two nights in a row. Owner is also an artist and sells his paintings there. I think he is a clemson grad.

Had veal one night and it came with an amazing Mac and cheese. Next night I got surf and turf special that was on point as well.
Looked it up, pretty cool place, with Jazz lounge and everything. My wife would love that. Good wine list. How was the wine priced, if you noticed.

Do yourself a favor and make the drive down to Murrells Inlet. There is no where in Little River/Cherry Grove/North Myrtle/Calabash that can touch the restaurants down there. Russells, Lee's Inlet Kitchen, or Graham's Landing would be a good place to start.

Looked it up, pretty cool place, with Jazz lounge and everything. My wife would love that. Good wine list. How was the wine priced, if you noticed.

Well I was on the corporate dollar and the customers ordered the wine so I couldn't tell ya. But it was good lol. We dropped some cash and I wasn't paying so I am not sure how much bottles we ordered were. Service was great too. The first round of drinks took a long time so they sent us a free round.

Thanks in advance.

In before Mr. Ard. Angelo's for the steak. It is worth fighting the traffic to the south side.

Reactions: baphil
In before Mr. Ard. Angelo's for the steak. It is worth fighting the traffic to the south side.

Do yourself a favor and make the drive down to Murrells Inlet. There is no where in Little River/Cherry Grove/North Myrtle/Calabash that can touch the restaurants down there. Russells, Lee's Inlet Kitchen, or Graham's Landing would be a good place to start.
I appreciate the south recommendations, but we are only here for the weekend, so most likely will not take the time this weekend to drive to south.

We have a place at Ocean Isle and Pomaria Tiger is spot on. Would only add Crab Catchers in Little River. Tony's Pizza highly recommended.

Crab Catchers in Little River
"Stephens" in Little River ( right next to NMB High School Stadium) calabash style... The best fried food

Joes Bar and Grill in Windy Hill behind Olive Garden ( excellent steak and local dishes)
Joes Hamburger is best Hamburger in North end right down street from Joes Bar and Grill

rockefellers oyster bar ( get there early )

Benito's is best pizza place ( local hangout... Call ahead)

Kings Pizza very good

Chesapeake House and Chestnet Hill very good seafood places

All of these are located on North End and rival anything at Murrels Inlet

Thanks in advance.
Come on down stigers91!

--- If you're looking for calabash-fried seafood, you're not going to go wrong with either Ella's, Seafood Hut or Dockside in Calabash. If you want all-you-can-eat-buffett to save a few dollars due to the crab legs, then I would recommend Crabby Mike's in Surfside. If you don't want to drive that far, hit Bennett's but make sure it's the one on Restaurant Row.

--- If you want prime rib, I'd definitely go to Chestnut Hill or Thoroughbreds. Chestnut Hill only serves prime rib on Friday's and Saturday's as well as their Sunday brunch, which is outstanding. FWIW, of all the restaurants on The Grand Strand, Chestnut Hill is my favorite. You may want to check out their Sunday brunch.

--- If you want italian, I'd go to Chianti South in Little River or Rossi's in the Galleria on Restaurant Row.

--- If you've got a large party with you and you're trying to get several of them to agree on something, just go to Flamingo Grill in Myrtle Beach or Sea Merchant's in North Myrtle Beach.

--- If you want a burger, fries, wings, a cold beer, I'd just go to Hamburger Joe's. Very reasonable prices, though you may wait for a few minutes. Honestly, Sam's Corner has a darn good burger and a great hot dog. They never close. They're open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Burky's is locally owned and is right off Kings Hwy in Myrtle Beach. Very underrated joint and you never have to wait.

--- You mentioned Thoroughbreds earlier. I view Thoroughbreds as a prime rib place, so if you want a ribeye the best place to go is Angelo's in Myrtle Beach. Make sure you get at least a 10-oz because anything below a 10-oz won't come on a sizzler. Tremendous quality and consistency there.

--- If you want an all-around restaurant with drinks directly on the intracoastal waterway I'd try either Greg Normans at Barefoot Landing or Filet's in North Myrtle Beach.

--- A nice, clean, very reasonably-priced BBQ place in North Myrtle Beach is the BBQ House.

--- The best place for self-serve yogurt is Menchie's in North Myrtle Beach right across from Publix. The best place for ice cream is at the Calabash Creamery in Calabash. Great family atmosphere.

--- Good breakfast joints are Dino's, The Shack in Cherry Grove and Hoskins in Ocean Drive.

Have a great time!

Come on down stigers91!

--- If you're looking for calabash-fried seafood, you're not going to go wrong with either Ella's, Seafood Hut or Dockside in Calabash. If you want all-you-can-eat-buffett to save a few dollars due to the crab legs, then I would recommend Crabby Mike's in Surfside. If you don't want to drive that far, hit Bennett's but make sure it's the one on Restaurant Row.

--- If you want prime rib, I'd definitely go to Chestnut Hill or Thoroughbreds. Chestnut Hill only serves prime rib on Friday's and Saturday's as well as their Sunday brunch, which is outstanding. FWIW, of all the restaurants on The Grand Strand, Chestnut Hill is my favorite. You may want to check out their Sunday brunch.

--- If you want italian, I'd go to Chianti South in Little River or Rossi's in the Galleria on Restaurant Row.

--- If you've got a large party with you and you're trying to get several of them to agree on something, just go to Flamingo Grill in Myrtle Beach or Sea Merchant's in North Myrtle Beach.

--- If you want a burger, fries, wings, a cold beer, I'd just go to Hamburger Joe's. Very reasonable prices, though you may wait for a few minutes. Honestly, Sam's Corner has a darn good burger and a great hot dog. They never close. They're open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. Burky's is locally owned and is right off Kings Hwy in Myrtle Beach. Very underrated joint and you never have to wait.

--- You mentioned Thoroughbreds earlier. I view Thoroughbreds as a prime rib place, so if you want a ribeye the best place to go is Angelo's in Myrtle Beach. Make sure you get at least a 10-oz because anything below a 10-oz won't come on a sizzler. Tremendous quality and consistency there.

--- If you want an all-around restaurant with drinks directly on the intracoastal waterway I'd try either Greg Normans at Barefoot Landing or Filet's in North Myrtle Beach.

--- A nice, clean, very reasonably-priced BBQ place in North Myrtle Beach is the BBQ House.

--- The best place for self-serve yogurt is Menchie's in North Myrtle Beach right across from Publix. The best place for ice cream is at the Calabash Creamery in Calabash. Great family atmosphere.

--- Good breakfast joints are Dino's, The Shack in Cherry Grove and Hoskins in Ocean Drive.

Have a great time!

Agree with Hoskins and The Shack. Just can't beat either. The family that owns Hoskins is a good friend of mine. At one time they were huge gamecock supporters... Now their son attends Clemson and they have fallen in love with the good guys.

One of the owners of The Shack is also a huge Clemson fan.

I 2nd Mr Ard's recommendation of Rossi's if you want Italian. Eat there whenever I go to North end. Cant go wrong with Chestnut Hill or Thoroughbreds.

Thanks in advance.
To each his own and there have been several good places mentioned in the thread. I have a place at 58th ave n. and have been eating at C. Grove for several yrs. If you want GOOD seafood and are willing to forego the dancing and wine, you can't beat Hoskins on main st. at North Myrtle. Cris mentioned Chestnut Hills for steak and I would agree. Right next door to C. Hills is the Chesapeake House and owned by the same immediate family who own the Inlet Kitchen in Murrells Inlet. The seafood is just as good. One other of my favorites is also out Hwy. #9 north of Cherry Grove about four miles to Horry's Rest. Been there since late 1940's. Once again, , these are excellent quality seafood restaurants but there is no dancing and/or limited alcohol available. Most lean toward the family atmosphere. The only exception for the latter, re alcohol, is the Chesapeake House. ( I suppose my wife and I were the exception but we ate at Angelo's the last week in May and I was very disappointed. She had a N.Y. Strip and I had a 10 oz. ribeye and neither was cooked to our specifications and we are not hard people to please. I don't mind paying for a good steak, but I would take Outback over Angelo's anytime following that experience.) Oh and by the way, Thoroughbreds is still GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!)

I looked up most of Cris's suggestions on trip adviser and they all got good reviews. Chianti South did seem to be stronger than Rossi's though. Can't wait to try Thouroubreds, Chesnut, Hoskins, and the shack. Of course, we'll have to hit up Chianti South for out Italian fix. Not going till the 4th though. Better call in reservations.

Reactions: Cris_Ard
Rossi's is Italian but their Butt Cut steak is as good as it gets and their fish is always outstanding...I know it is Italian but I almost say is is great food with the pastas served as a side instead of potato...their wine list goes from the good to the great...Introduce yourself to Dean when you walk in and tell him you have heard a lot about the place but never been there...You will enjoy and next time in town he will remember you

Rossi's is Italian but their Butt Cut steak is as good as it gets and their fish is always outstanding...I know it is Italian but I almost say is is great food with the pastas served as a side instead of potato...their wine list goes from the good to the great...Introduce yourself to Dean when you walk in and tell him you have heard a lot about the place but never been there...You will enjoy and next time in town he will remember you

I have a customer that loves rossis. We eat and then walk next door for the piano bar. Spent many of nights in there and it is always a good time. Food is definitely not bad

Come on down stigers91!

Have a great time!

Now, that's what I call a breakdown. Thanks Cris.

Captain Georges is the the only answer for seafood buffet. FWIW, Bowers and Sapp frequent Georges when they are in town. Look at their Twitter.

Buffet. Please.

Collectors cafe. Best all round.

Best steak. Ruth Chris at grand dunes.

Little lower price. Fire and smoke.

Crab catchers is great for fried food.

I guess I am the only one that likes the original Duffy's Seafood Shack in Cherry Grove?

If you want beer and fried fish in a cool atmosphere near where you are staying, it's not a bad place at all.

Reactions: bwhwc

Thanks in advance.
The German place in N. Myrtle off 17..........Incredible!

I guess because seafood buffets are terrible. But then again, nothing should surprise me.

This is the same board that had PaPa Johns and Little Ceasers as posts in favorite pizza thread.

I half expected a Long John Silvers or Red Lobster response to OP.

Yes buffets are bad at the beach.

Ate at Angelo's for the first time tonight. Their ribeye is easily one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. The Italian buffet was very good as well.

Ate at Angelo's for the first time tonight. Their ribeye is easily one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. The Italian buffet was very good as well.
Thanks for sharing, Brad29067. They're very consistent at Angelo's. Their ribeyes are fantastic. I've backed away from getting the 24 oz., so I've been getting the 14 oz. You can't go wrong at Angelo's.

I've been in Cherry Grove all week. I've eaten at Crab Catchers, Flounder ' s Fish House and Duffy St.. We also went down to Gorgio's Pizza off of OD and thought it was pretty good pizza. In my opinion, the best food overall was Old South BBQ on Sea Mountain coming in. The sides were great and you get a l OT if food for the money. It is in an old gas station so it doesn't look like much but we all thought it was great. About to grab some dry aged steaks from Boulineau's on the way out.

I've been in Cherry Grove all week. I've eaten at Crab Catchers, Flounder ' s Fish House and Duffy St.. We also went down to Gorgio's Pizza off of OD and thought it was pretty good pizza. In my opinion, the best food overall was Old South BBQ on Sea Mountain coming in. The sides were great and you get a l OT if food for the money. It is in an old gas station so it doesn't look like much but we all thought it was great. About to grab some dry aged steaks from Boulineau's on the way out.
Pomaria Tiger, next time you are in Cherry Grove try Basil's Pizza. I'd rate it No. 1 if you're in North Myrtle Beach. I pass the owner on his bike every morning when he's en route to make dough. He does that daily. Family-owned, extremely nice and welcoming and the pizza is terrific.

Pomaria Tiger, next time you are in Cherry Grove try Basil's Pizza. I'd rate it No. 1 if you're in North Myrtle Beach. I pass the owner on his bike every morning when he's en route to make dough. He does that daily. Family-owned, extremely nice and welcoming and the pizza is terrific.

Second this. Fantastic family. A lot of Clemson kids work in that store as well. Blows Babaka's out of the water as far as Cherry Grove pizza goes. Hardest working business owner I've ever seen... besides @Cris_Ard of course.

Reactions: Cris_Ard
Several of the other early risers and I had breakfast at Hoskins in Ocean Drive this morning. I asked the waitress if it was still run by the Hoskins family and she said, "Yes, 3rd generation now." I told her I brought my date to dinner there in the summer of 1956. She wanted to know how that worked out and the other five at the table said, "Pretty good for us!" Don't know that it would be the place I would go for dinner but it's pretty hard to mess up ham, eggs and grits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT