ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Religious Freedom Laws

It's one of those things that people are going to fight until the day they die. The younger generations support gay marriage overwhelmingly and when they are in charge it will be approved in every state. However some other issue will come up when current 25-30 year olds are the ones in charge and with the loudest voices. They will be against some other issue and the younger generation will for it's legalization. It's a never ending cycle. I'm 32 and would vote to allow gay people to marry whenever and wherever. However I'm sure there will be some issue in 20-30 years that I will be against and my kids will tell me how close minded I am.

Businesses should have complete right to sell to who they want to or turn away from those who they don't. If a gay employee leaves your business to go work for a competitor, you should have every right not to sell to him. The point being is that the Government doesn't or shouldn't have the right to tell businesses who or who not they can sell to. It shouldn't matter if the person is gay, straight, white, black etc. the business should have the right to sell to who they want to. It is called business not discrimination. People make good/bad business decisions all of the time on their own. They don't need the government sticking their nose in their business. It isn't discrimination or hate, it is their business and they should have complete right to make their own business decisions on who they sell to. They don't hate gay people, they just don't want to go against their religion to do a wedding for gay people. Social issues are becoming a nuisance and our Government should stay the heck out of it. You give people an inch and they want a mile. That is what is going on. Just like the other poster said that if one state wants to pass a law allowing Gay marriage, it shouldn't mean that every state now has to pass the law. Hate is actually coming from the Gay's and the media toward the states, not the other way around. Same thing goes on with racism, atheism, etc. in many cases. So many people want to use the separation of Church and State to remove all religion out of Government. This is where most of the problems come from because our entire country was founded on freedom of religion. That is why the settlers came to America. Removing it, is removing the very fabric of our country. America moving away from being a religious country aka Europe, etc will be the downfall of the entire world not just our country. America was always know as a country that did good. You see how that is changing with all of these social issues at the forefront.

Cuirous to know if a business owner can refuse service to a known adulterer based on religious grounds?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

None of this will be an issue in 40-50 years as religion continues to die a slow death. What we are witnessing with all these "religious protection" laws is the beginning of the death throes of religion. Yet, the irony with these laws is that they push people further away from religion IMO...

Originally posted by longcreektiger:
Originally posted by firegiver:

Originally posted by blue_62:
Originally posted by CuWrX8314:
... both laws are beyond ... disturbing. I could at least rationalize a wedding photographer or caterer not wanting to be apart of same-sex marriage ceremony. I get it......but your everyday run of the mill businesses that serve the public?

Its pure bigotry plain and simple.
All of these new "laws", though I agree with them in principle, are quite disturbing. Not because I disagree with their intent, but rather the implications: we need new laws to protect what is already protected by the Constitution.

The First Amendment is quite clear:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

These businesses have the RIGHT to discriminate. Call it bigotry all you want to. If I disagree with their practices or views, I will not do business with them. I WON'T, however, demand that they be forced to go against their convictions.

If Massachusetts wants to legalize gay marriage, they can go right ahead and do so. But don't ram their choice down the throats of South Carolina, Georgia, and California.. a few of the vast majority of states whose citizens wanted man-women marriage as the sole standard.
I agree with this to an extent. Buuuut using that rationality, the south would still be segregated. There comes a time where civil rights for a people are more important than the bigotry of the majority.

Look at the civil rights act of 1964: Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term "private".[40]

If sexuality was in that list there would be no argument. But its not and it should be. Notice, how the photographer still has the right to be racist, sexist POS. No problem there just don't hire them.

The issue is two fold; bigotry and extreme victimhood. Nobody should be suing a photographer just because they told them something that hurt their feelings. JMO. I don't have an issue with gay people trying to act like normal citizens. If you want to think they burn in hell fire forever, then talk about it on Sundays, don't oppress them at the voting booth on Tuesdays.
It would be interesting to see the reaction to a restaurant saying they will only serve atheists.
It's like you can see the future or something.

I think some people are missing the point in some of these cases. I am a Christian who thinks living a gay lifestyle is a sin. You do not have to agree with me and I really do not want to debate this issue in this thread. If I were a photographer/florist I would have no problem if a gay person wanted me to take their picture or even a family photo to hang on the wall or wanted flowers for some random occasion(mothers day/birthday/etc). To refuse to simply provide a product based on someone's age/religion/race/sexual orientation is discrimination.
However, I would have a problem if they wanted me to participate in any way in a gay wedding ceremony. These are two completely different situations. One is selling a product to someone who lives a lifestyle I do not approve of - I have no problem with that. The other is participating in a ceremony/event that is against my religion. This is clearly a different situation in which I my religious freedom is being violated.
I really do not see how anyone with simple reasoning skills can not see the difference in these situations.

being an adulterer is not a protected classification

so they couldn't claim descrimination

Originally posted by damecourt:

Originally posted by 1Clemzunfan:

... both laws are beyond ... disturbing. I could at least rationalize a wedding photographer or caterer not wanting to be apart of same-sex marriage ceremony. I get it......but your everyday run of the mill businesses that serve the public?

All of these new "laws", though I agree with them in principle, are quite disturbing. Not because I disagree with their intent, but rather the implications: we need new laws to protect what is already protected by the Constitution.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances"

These businesses have the RIGHT to discriminate. Call it bigotry all you want to. If I disagree with their practices or views, I will not do business with them. I WON'T, however, demand that they be forced to go against their convictions.

If Massachusetts wants to legalize gay marriage, they can go right ahead and do so. But don't ram their choice down the throats of South Carolina, Georgia, and California.. a few of the vast majority of states whose citizens wanted man-women marriage as the sole standard.
I don't think you understand the quote you highlighted. You highlighted "no law" and skipped ahead to "prohibiting the free exercise (of religion)". The part you skipped over is just as important. That part basically means that you can't establish laws and enforce them based on a particular religious belief either. In other words, unlike ISIS who wants to create a government based strictly on Muslim religious laws, in the US we do not force laws on the people based on the religious beliefs of only some people. There is a reason that separation of church and state is the corner stone of our democracy. Any law that allows one group of people to infringe upon another groups rights in the name of religion does not fit both sides of the intent of your quote above. To allow discrimination and removal of basic civil rights of one group in the name of the religious views of another group goes against everything in the constitution. What the constitution guarantees is religious freedom to practice whatever religion you choose so long as it doesn't infringe on the basic constitutional rights of others who may have a different opinion. The constitution does not give religious groups a blank check to operate in whatever way they see fit contrary to your assertion.

I am a religious person. I am a Christian. I fully believe in religious freedom to worship as I choose. However, I also do not believe that one should be able to legislate others into conforming their lives to meet my religious views. To be able to do so would jeopardize my own religious freedom. The problem with too many religious groups, including many Christians, these days is that they want to use government and legislation to drive the moral behavior and social practices of others. They want to force others, through legislation, to conform to their religious views. That's not how I want to drive people to conform to my religious beliefs. Is someone who is forced to convert through law really a convert? No. That's not how Jesus evangelized either. The jews wanted him to be their political leader and lead a political revolution and he refused. You can not lead someone to God through legislation and politics.

I fully support laws that allow people to excersice their religious freedom. However, any law that also allows one to use their religion to deny the basic civil rights of another individual is a flawed law. If a florist doesn't want to serve everyone and participate in a gay wedding, I fully respect that decision. However, if they feel their religion doesnt allow them to participate in a gay wedding, they need to find another career that doesn't put them in a position to have to participate in that ceremony. The constitution gives them the freedom to choose a career that doesn't jeopardize their beliefs, it doesn't guarantee them the freedom to choose a career and assert their religious views as a way to strip others of their basic rights. Any law that allows some of us to discriminate against others is no constitutionally based law in my mind. What if a doctor refused to deliver the baby of an unwed mother because he doesn't believe in sex outside of marriage? Should that doctor be able to deny basic medical care to someone they feel is participating in a practice their religion does not condone? No. Why? There is no U.S. law that prevents sex outside of marriage or child birth outside of marriage. If that doctor feels he can't participate in a child birth outside of wedlock because his religion doesnt condone it, that is fine and that is his perogative, but he needs to find another career that doesn't put him in a position to make that choice if it is that important to him. Because if he remains a doctor and denies medical care to that woman based on his religious belief he may be doing right in the name of his religion, but he has also broken the law of the land and must live with the consequence.

This post was edited on 4/2 11:14 AM by 1Clemzunfan
Other than misspelling the words exercise and prerogative, this is awesome.
"I don't think you understand the quote you highlighted. You highlighted "no law" and skipped ahead to "prohibiting the free exercise (of religion)". The part you skipped over is just as important. That part basically means that you can't establish laws and enforce them based on a particular religious belief either".

I guess the Puritans and other Christians who came here and set up a society based on Judeo-Christian values were wrong and therefore the establishment and enforcement of those laws is invalid? Okay, got you.

"In other words, unlike ISIS who wants to create a government based strictly on Muslim religious laws, in the US we do not force laws on the people based on the religious beliefs of only some people."

Really? Tell that one to the valedictorian whose First Amendment rights to express Jesus Christ as the foundation of her life and has the microphone pulled due to the religious beliefs of the atheist/humanists activists.

"There is a reason that separation of church and state is the corner stone of our democracy"

Seriously? THE corner stone? And maybe it is just me, but I thought we were established as a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC rather than a democracy, which is a system of government the Founders rightfully despised. .

"Any law that allows one group of people to infringe upon another groups rights in the name of religion does not fit both sides of the intent of your quote above. To allow discrimination and removal of basic civil rights of one group in the name of the religious views of another group goes against everything in the constitution"

Let me get this straight. Our Founders set up our system of government at a time when the vast majority of the citizens were either Christians or had a biblical worldview. They gave us a Constitution in which the God-given rights expressed in the First Amendment could compel a faithful,believing citizen to go against their convictions as long as unconstitutional "laws" and decisions by judicial decree superseded said Amendment. Gotcha.

" What the constitution guarantees is religious freedom to practice whatever religion you choose so long as it doesn't infringe on the basic constitutional rights of others who may have a different opinion. The constitution does not give religious groups a blank check to operate in whatever way they see fit contrary to your assertion.

What the constitution guarantees is religious freedom to practice whatever religion you choose so long as you aren't proclaiming your faith in public as your Savior commanded since a school graduation is state-funded and people shouldn't have their "constitutional rights" of not having to hear such offensive chatter denied.

"I am a religious person. I am a Christian. I fully believe in religious freedom to worship as I choose. However, I also do not believe that one should be able to legislate others into conforming their lives to meet my religious views."

Problem is, much legislation IS moral and had/has a religious/values aspect about it. Should the "Love your neighbor" aspect of social services thereby cause all forms of welfare be out of the hands of the State?

"To be able to do so would jeopardize my own religious freedom. The problem with too many religious groups, including many Christians, these days is that they want to use government and legislation to drive the moral behavior and social practices of others."

Yeah, because Secular Humanists/etc. don't do anything like that. They would never even dream of using the government to forcefully oppose the morally repugnant rights of a Christian to the point of commanding them to disregard or abandon their convictions.

"They want to force others, through legislation, to conform to their religious views. That's not how I want to drive people to conform to my religious beliefs. Is someone who is forced to convert through law really a convert? No. That's not how Jesus evangelized either. The jews wanted him to be their political leader and lead a political revolution and he refused. You can not lead someone to God through legislation and politics"

"They want to force others, through legislation, to conform to their hatred of Christianity."

In all honesty, I don't believe in forcing others to conform to my beliefs because I CAN'T. The political arena is not the place a Christian places his faith. However, we ARE commanded to be salt and light, and part of that command is to stand up and contribute to society in a Godly fashion. For example, gladiator games and abuse of slavery was widespread in the Roman Empire. Christian influence had huge impacts on the lessening of both. I don't TRUST in the political process to change society. I believe the way society changes is for the individuals in it to hear and believe the Gospel.

"I fully support laws that allow people to excersice their religious freedom. However, any law that also allows one to use their religion to deny the basic civil rights of another individual is a flawed law."

Yeah, because a gay wedding cake is such a basic civil right these days. I mean, how dare that First Amendment for rearing its ugly head. To think we have a right to religion when gays need cakes and flowers. What is next? The right to due process or something foolish as that?

"If a florist doesn't want to serve everyone and participate in a gay wedding, I fully respect that decision. However, if they feel their religion doesnt allow them to participate in a gay wedding, they need to find another career that doesn't put them in a position to have to participate in that ceremony."

Unreal. Find another career? How about find another florist? Is that so hard to do?

"The constitution gives them the freedom to choose a career that doesn't jeopardize their beliefs, it doesn't guarantee them the freedom to choose a career and assert their religious views as a way to strip others of their basic rights. "

What Article or Section did you find that particular guarantee? So the Constitution doesn't give a Christian the right to become and Evolutionary Biologist since that career may jeopardize their beliefs? I don't know if I read you clearly there....nor do I understand how requesting the services of a person who disagrees with my lifestyle and forcing that said business to do business with me anyway(and contrary to their First Amendment rights), is a "basic right".

"Any law that allows some of us to discriminate against others is no constitutionally based law in my mind. What if a doctor refused to deliver the baby of an unwed mother because he doesn't believe in sex outside of marriage? Should that doctor be able to deny basic medical care to someone they feel is participating in a practice their religion does not condone? No. Why? There is no U.S. law that prevents sex outside of marriage or child birth outside of marriage. If that doctor feels he can't participate in a child birth outside of wedlock because his religion doesnt condone it, that is fine and that is his perogative, but he needs to find another career that doesn't put him in a position to make that choice if it is that important to him. Because if he remains a doctor and denies medical care to that woman based on his religious belief he may be doing right in the name of his religion, but he has also broken the law of the land and must live with the consequence"

Wow. What a softball. Talk about flawed logic. So, according to your interpretation of the Law of the Land, an abortionist can repent and become a Christian, and that doctor should be FORCED to provide medical care in the form of an abortion if requested, or "live with the consequence". Or find another career. Got you.

Where your logic breaks down, sir, is the example you give is flawed. No Christian doctor should have a problem delivering a baby as you describe. The baby is innocent. For that matter, most(myself included) would never turn away the mother you describe though we disagree with her lifestyle choices. You see, delivering the baby is a morally neutral ACT at worse. If that Doctor was UPHOLDING THE LIFESTYLE of the couple involved in some fashion, such as providing a place to shack up for their act, then you have a different story.

The florist/wedding cake person is not the same situation. Those people are being asked to TAKE PART in an ACT they deem to be morally wrong: a gay marriage ceremony. That is vastly different from the "dilemma" you proposed.

Originally posted by Transference:
None of this will be an issue in 40-50 years as religion continues to die a slow death. What we are witnessing with all these "religious protection" laws is the beginning of the death throes of religion. Yet, the irony with these laws is that they push people further away from religion IMO...
Agree with the last part.

The death throes thing is a big overstated. There is a pattern that a whole lot of people have noticed and even statistically verified. All those "religious" people are the ones doing the vast majority of the reproducing.

The history of all mankind says you probably wouldn't want to bet on it. It's more likely that the word "religion" gets redefined like so many other things in society people want to vote on and pass "protection" laws on as you called it. In that context you could be right. Marriage has been redefined to suit the voting populace in many places, so there's no reason to believe religion won't be redefined as well in the next 40-50yrs. Trying to do so slowly is a practice as old as mankind also.

Originally posted by damecourt:

Originally posted by 1Clemzunfan:

I don't think you understand the quote you highlighted. You highlighted "no law" and skipped ahead to "prohibiting the free exercise (of religion)". The part you skipped over is just as important. That part basically means that you can't establish laws and enforce them based on a particular religious belief either. In other words, unlike ISIS who wants to create a government based strictly on Muslim religious laws, in the US we do not force laws on the people based on the religious beliefs of only some people. There is a reason that separation of church and state is the corner stone of our democracy. Any law that allows one group of people to infringe upon another groups rights in the name of religion does not fit both sides of the intent of your quote above. To allow discrimination and removal of basic civil rights of one group in the name of the religious views of another group goes against everything in the constitution. What the constitution guarantees is religious freedom to practice whatever religion you choose so long as it doesn't infringe on the basic constitutional rights of others who may have a different opinion. The constitution does not give religious groups a blank check to operate in whatever way they see fit contrary to your assertion.

I am a religious person. I am a Christian. I fully believe in religious freedom to worship as I choose. However, I also do not believe that one should be able to legislate others into conforming their lives to meet my religious views. To be able to do so would jeopardize my own religious freedom. The problem with too many religious groups, including many Christians, these days is that they want to use government and legislation to drive the moral behavior and social practices of others. They want to force others, through legislation, to conform to their religious views. That's not how I want to drive people to conform to my religious beliefs. Is someone who is forced to convert through law really a convert? No. That's not how Jesus evangelized either. The jews wanted him to be their political leader and lead a political revolution and he refused. You can not lead someone to God through legislation and politics.

I fully support laws that allow people to excersice their religious freedom. However, any law that also allows one to use their religion to deny the basic civil rights of another individual is a flawed law. If a florist doesn't want to serve everyone and participate in a gay wedding, I fully respect that decision. However, if they feel their religion doesnt allow them to participate in a gay wedding, they need to find another career that doesn't put them in a position to have to participate in that ceremony. The constitution gives them the freedom to choose a career that doesn't jeopardize their beliefs, it doesn't guarantee them the freedom to choose a career and assert their religious views as a way to strip others of their basic rights. Any law that allows some of us to discriminate against others is no constitutionally based law in my mind. What if a doctor refused to deliver the baby of an unwed mother because he doesn't believe in sex outside of marriage? Should that doctor be able to deny basic medical care to someone they feel is participating in a practice their religion does not condone? No. Why? There is no U.S. law that prevents sex outside of marriage or child birth outside of marriage. If that doctor feels he can't participate in a child birth outside of wedlock because his religion doesnt condone it, that is fine and that is his perogative, but he needs to find another career that doesn't put him in a position to make that choice if it is that important to him. Because if he remains a doctor and denies medical care to that woman based on his religious belief he may be doing right in the name of his religion, but he has also broken the law of the land and must live with the consequence.

This post was edited on 4/2 11:14 AM by 1Clemzunfan
Other than misspelling the words exercise and prerogative, this is awesome.
Things have changed and I don't like it, so I am going to keep saying First Amendment.
FIFY

Originally posted by Zothras:
The history of all mankind says you probably wouldn't want to bet on it. It's more likely that the word "religion" gets redefined like so many other things in society people want to vote on and pass "protection" laws on as you called it. In that context you could be right. Marriage has been redefined to suit the voting populace in many places, so there's no reason to believe religion won't be redefined as well in the next 40-50yrs. Trying to do so slowly is a practice as old as mankind also.
I would bet on it, and feel pretty comfortable about it.

Originally posted by MillerHighLife21:

The death throes thing is a big overstated. There is a pattern that a whole lot of people have noticed and even statistically verified. All those "religious" people are the ones doing the vast majority of the reproducing.
MillerHighLife, can I get your email? Or you can email me at fields@uga.edu. I've got something I want to run by you based off your past posts on this board.

To each his own. All of human history just doesn't support the position. Personally, true religion will still be around for all eternity but so too will those who believe otherwise one way or another (which IMO is a religion unto itself).

Atheism does seem to be increasing, here and abroad, according almost every poll I've seen. Or at least more people are comfortable "coming out" as atheist.

The only places where religiosity appears to be increasing or not declining seems to be third world countries.

Pretty interesting stuff to read about.

Gallup Poll

Originally posted by iceheart08:

Originally posted by pharout73:
Such ignorance...about these laws, read them before you comment.

They do not allow discrimination in any way shape or form and are in 30 states already either as law or as part of the constitution.

The roar of the crowd... idiots with a bull horn.

your statement is factually incorrect, which is funny, because you are calling everyone else ignorant. The indiana law is substantially different than the over laws, and the federal government's law. it is more broad, and contains different language.

soooooo.... now you're the idiot with the bull horn :).

law professor's analysis. also, you can just READ them, butttttt... roar of the crowd and all that right?

EPPS: There's a couple of key differences. The law in Indiana explicitly applies to private lawsuits. So, for example, a discrimination lawsuit between two individuals would be covered by the terms of the Indiana law. And there's still disagreement in the federal courts about whether the federal law does cover that and the text is silent.
SIEGEL: By what you mean, if somebody sues me and says I discriminated against her...
EPPS: Correct.
SIEGEL: ...And I say no, under my religious beliefs, I can't do business with or hire that kind of person, in that private lawsuit, the Indiana law - I might be able to use that as a shield.
EPPS: Yes, you could use it as a defense.
SIEGEL: In other states you can't do that?
EPPS: No. The leading case on this is a case called Elane Photography v. Willock out of New Mexico. And that was a case where a commercial photo studio wouldn't shoot a gay wedding. And when the couple sued the studio, the New Mexico Supreme Court said no, our law only applies against the government 'cause it had the standard language. And so the studio lost, and then this language found its way into the Indiana statute.oh, so he's a law professor.....so he must be right. did not choomboy teach law?

That laws may push people further away from "religion" is debatable. What is not debatable is that "religion", secular humanism/atheism included, pushed people away from the Truth.

Jesus said: "I am the Way, the TRUTH, and the Life, no man comes to the Father but by Me

Whether or not "religion" is dying is or "laws push people further away from religion" is debatable. What is not debatable, is that religion, Secular Humanism/Atheism included, pushes people further away from the Truth.

Jesus said: "I am the Way, the TRUTH, and the LIFE. No man comes to the Father but by ME."

What Transference hopes is dying isn't religion per se, but the Faith that simultaneously gives the greatest hope along with the greatest fears: The Bible and its revelation of Jesus Christ.

Just remember:

Last night I passed beside the blacksmith's door,

And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;

Then looking in, I saw upon the floor,

Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.

"How many anvils have you had?" says I,

"To wear and batter all those hammers so?"

"Just one", said he, and with twinkling eye,

"The anvils wears them out, you know."

And so, thought I, about God's Word,

For ages skeptic blows have beat upon;

Yet though the noise of falling blows was heard,

The anvil is unharmed….the hammers gone.

…..John Clifford

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son. That whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

…..John 3:16

"…faith comes by hearing, and hearing through the word of God."

Romans 10:17

Originally posted by jbvarnad:
Atheism does seem to be increasing, here and abroad, according almost every poll I've seen. Or at least more people are comfortable "coming out" as atheist.

The only places where religiosity appears to be increasing or not declining seems to be third world countries.

One of the things I found pretty interesting reading the Old Testament is the pattern across the entire text goes something like this:

Jews need help
God helps
Jews flourish. Decide they don't need God anymore.
Jews flounder.
Jews need help
God helps

That cycle repeats over the course of generations. It's hard not to look at our current level of prosperity and ignore the parallel. It's a human nature tendency to take for granted how good you have it and exactly how you got there. The hard work of previous generations that lived with less is replaced with children born into comfort and abundance. Perspective is an important thing.

"I expect to die in bed," Francis Eugene Cardinal George famously remarked. "My successor will die in prison, and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history." Perhaps it will not come to that. But we already are on the precipice of sending men with guns to the homes and businesses of bakers to enforce compliance with dictates undreamt-of the day before yesterday.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/416307/war-private-mind-kevin-d-williamson

Originally posted by SpartanTiger120:

MillerHighLife, can I get your email? Or you can email me at fields@uga.edu. I've got something I want to run by you based off your past posts on this board.
I actually tried to shoot you a note but it bounced. barry@brightball.com if you need to reach me though.

To each his own. All of human history just doesn't support the position. Personally, true religion will still be around for all eternity but so too will those who believe otherwise one way or another (which IMO is a religion unto itself).
The only thing that "all of human history" supports is that shit is going to change and will continue to change. People will continue to rationalize the world around them with the best tools that are available to them. When that was just their senses and imaginations, they developed crude beliefs. Things have changed and people are able to find answers in places that are easier to observe/prove. There will be further changes in the future, and people will use their best judgement to rationalize their existence then.

Originally posted by Esso Porch:
It's one of those things that people are going to fight until the day they die. The younger generations support gay marriage overwhelmingly and when they are in charge it will be approved in every state. However some other issue will come up when current 25-30 year olds are the ones in charge and with the loudest voices. They will be against some other issue and the younger generation will for it's legalization. It's a never ending cycle. I'm 32 and would vote to allow gay people to marry whenever and wherever. However I'm sure there will be some issue in 20-30 years that I will be against and my kids will tell me how close minded I am.
Oh the outrage of moral relativists when we point out the them that they have no basis for their outrage because they are moral relativists.

The freedom of religion aspect of this has nothing to do with whether something makes you uncomfortable. There is no law for that. The issue is should be forced to do something, or participate in something that is against your religious beliefs. These are completely different matters.

I am not sure if this is a troll or just an idiotic statement, but I will respond anyway.

Being an atheist does not make you a member of a religion. Therefore no one can violate your religious beliefs.

The only thing that "all of human history" supports is that shit is going to change and will continue to change. People will continue to rationalize the world around them with the best tools that are available to them. When that was just their senses and imaginations, they developed crude beliefs. Things have changed and people are able to find answers in places that are easier to observe/prove. There will be further changes in the future, and people will use their best judgement to rationalize their existence then.
All of human history supports tons more than just "shit is going to change". That's an obvious statement is it not? But some things don't change. Some things are constant/absolute and it has nothing to do with the myth that it comes from "crude beliefs" and "imagination". You were born and you will eventually die....just as I will. There is nothing that will change the ultimate end of that event. Men and women indeed find both true answers and what they refer to as an answer in all sorts of places. Again, nothing revelatory about such a statement IMO.

We disagree on world views being a rationalization based on convenience solely on what one can observe/prove with the limits of their ability. Such a view by default takes a position one is their own god and thus can reveal all mysteries and all reality in and of their own power. As I mentioned before, this is a form of religion unto itself...even if it is felt it must be redefined in order to satisfy ones sense of judgement on the world around them.

All of human history supports tons more than just "shit is going to change". That's an obvious statement is it not? But some things don't change. Some things are constant/absolute and it has nothing to do with the myth that it comes from "crude beliefs" and "imagination". You were born and you will eventually die....just as I will. There is nothing that will change the ultimate end of that event. Men and women indeed find both true answers and what they refer to as an answer in all sorts of places. Again, nothing revelatory about such a statement IMO.

We disagree on world views being a rationalization based on convenience solely on what one can observe/prove with the limits of their ability. Such a view by default takes a position one is their own god and thus can reveal all mysteries and all reality in and of their own power. As I mentioned before, this is a form of religion unto itself...even if it is felt it must be redefined in order to satisfy ones sense of judgement on the world around them.
jesus christ...

Originally posted by iceheart08:

jesus christ...
Not following you.

Saying "I don't know" is not a religion, nor does it make one believe they are a god. Of course we have a lifecycle, everything seems to at this point. The only real difference is I don't know what happens after I die, and you think you do.

Originally posted by jbvarnad:

One of the things I found pretty interesting reading the Old Testament is the pattern across the entire text goes something like this:

Jews need help
God helps
Jews flourish. Decide they don't need God anymore.
Jews flounder.
Jews need help
God helps

That cycle repeats over the course of generations. It's hard not to look at our current level of prosperity and ignore the parallel. It's a human nature tendency to take for granted how good you have it and exactly how you got there. The hard work of previous generations that lived with less is replaced with children born into comfort and abundance. Perspective is an important thing.
Or, you could argue that our current level of prosperity is due to the decrease in religiosity.

society is shifting....lets see if that hold water.......What were the good old boys doing at Sodom? society is shifting....back and forth.....people are less likely to support abortion now than when R/W was decided. More guns were sold last year than any year in history. I don't really want to argue with you. I guess since you already know everything there is no need to learn. Society is shifting...away from "liberal" "values".

Saying "I don't know" is not a religion, nor does it make one believe they are a god. Of course we have a lifecycle, everything seems to at this point. The only real difference is I don't know what happens after I die, and you think you do.
I disagree on saying "I don't know" isn't a religion of sorts. I frequently say I don't know to all sorts of issues. Being able to admit that is part of being finite IMHO. And we both agree that we are finite which is less than perfect. Saying "I don't know" absolutely is a religion when it is accompanied with the belief it isn't
worth your or anybody else's time to find out...to ask...to inquire...to
search...and then turn around and rest on truth as whatever you can
observe/prove as it relates to your own opinion. It makes yourself out to be your own god capable of deciding what is true and what is false b/c you're the authority on the matter. But you didn't say you didn't know originally. You likened any religion to "shit" that would change, rationalizations, imagination, and crude beliefs which would in your estimation disappear in the next 40-50yrs from the planet --- as in, you know this is the case.

I don't have any personal beef with you here Transference. I think you bring up great points frequently. Sometimes for entertainment, sometimes b/c it's how you really feel, and sometimes b/c message boards just will contain some dumb stuff inherently -- but usually you're always authentic in some sense even if it is veiled at times behind some biting posts.

I'm not inclined to proselytize here either. I'm just discussing from my perspective based on the original sweeping comment. IMHO there's more than one real difference in how we view the world and it isn't that I think I know what happens after death and you don't. That honestly doesn't make any difference to me. It matters to me what happens both before and after I die, yet I get less of a sense that it makes any difference to you one way or the other, esp afterwards.

Re: being an adulterer is not a protected classification

Originally posted by lherndo:
so they couldn't claim descrimination
Ahhhh and neither is sexual orientation...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT