ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weekend Viewing Pleasures

Joe Cobb

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2008
Of course the big news for us cinephiles or “telephiles” I guess is the return of Ted Lasso for its 3rd and final season.

The first episode gave us several possible storylines and ramped up the original Rupert vs Rebecca relationship that brought Ted to the greyhounds in the first place. And if the Apple playlist for season 3 is a glimpse of what we will get over these 12 episodes… this brief series will have to be remembered as one of the greats. Ted Lasso on Apple TV.

I’m a sucker for early 70s country rock that embraced us kids who weren’t quite comfortable with glam or disco… who enjoyed a denim jacket. And watching a fictional story about a band that takes elements of The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and that whole 70s California vibe… has been enjoyable. Daisy Jones and The Six is fun… if sometimes a bit pretentious look at a small band that becomes the next big thing. Riley Keough (Elvis Presley’s real life granddaughter) is a gifted Stevie Nicks Linda Ronstadt amalgamated character… who actually can sing quite well. Sam Claflin is almost unrecognizable as the leader of the band The Six… but he can carry a damn tune as well. The music is great (you can actually listen to their fictional album Auroa on Apple Music) and the story does keep you guessing what exactly broke them up. Daisy Jones and The Six is on Amazon Prime).

A couple of swings and a miss?
The Consultant Amazon Prime. I generally love the work of Christoph Waltz, but this misguided pulp of a series left me … changing the channel. Sometimes writers try to be so mysterious they forget that we should actually care about the characters. I’d avoid this one.

The Boston Strangler on Hulu.
Zodiac in the 60s with Keira Knightly in the role of Jake Gyllenhaal. Not bad, but it’s been done already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News