ADVERTISEMENT

Public execution...

Overwatch

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2008
Am I the only one that would like to see this for the Charleston shooter? I just saw where he said that he almost didn't go through with it because they were all so nice to him. How evil does one have to be to do what he did?

That's not the culture we want in this country. It serves no purpose other than temporarily sating our basest need for retribution. The less we look like Saudi Arabia, the better.

Who's this 'we' you speak of? And yes, it certainly serves a purpose other than temporarily sating a base need. And yeah, if we start publicly executing people for adultery, drug trafficking, etc. then I'd start to be concerned...

I prob get called a liberal a lot, but I would be all for this dude getting the Ned Stark treatment.

I wanna see that blade meat stump and his head to roll around in the middle of a crowded courtyard and for it to be broadcasted to all the world.

And I'm not kidding in the slightest.

JESUS op...how old are you?

I'm 37 and I don't have a problem with publicly executing terrorists because their intent is to instill fear in the public. A sterile, serene death in a room in front of a few onlookers doesn't seem appropriate for the crime of terrorism/mass murder. I'd be for it in the Boston Bomber's case as well. Are you implying that this somehow makes me immature?

And since you asked, how old are you?

I prob get called a liberal a lot, but I would be all for this dude getting the Ned Stark treatment.

I wanna see that blade meat stump and his head to roll around in the middle of a crowded courtyard and for it to be broadcasted to all the world.

While this thug definitely deserves the death penalty (preferably after doing time in the general pop of a max security prison), he would have to stand in line if I were picking people to get the Ned Stark treatment...

I see where scumbags have beaten, molested, raped & even killed innocent children on a daily basis...those people would be the 1st in line if I was swinging the sword...

Reactions: Overwatch
Our legal system is far too lenient. The number of repeat offenders is all the evidence you need to see that. When the punishment is set at the correct level of severity, first offenses would be dramatically reduced and repeat offenders would be a thing of the past.

Am I the only one that would like to see this for the Charleston shooter? I just saw where he said that he almost didn't go through with it because they were all so nice to him. How evil does one have to be to do what he did?

It appears I may get flamed for agreeing with you, but so be it.
I agree not just in this case, but for all murderers, child molesters, etc. You might think twice about your life choices if you see someone who made the same ones hanging by his neck from a rope?

Perhaps we could find some giant hulk dude to administer the Oberyn Martell treatment.

After conviction you have 90 days to appeal. Day 91 he would be swinging in Marion Square. Not 20 years later.

Reactions: JamesD7
Guys like this have a chemical imbalance that only surfaces in their early 20's. They are looking for noteriety and to go out famously. A public execution would only serve as fuel to their fire as they aren't thinking clearly.

I don't know. To me if you are a supporter of capital punishment you ought to be willing to watch it and participate. I'm against it because I don't trust the government enough to kill someone other than in war. I know, I know. This guy is obviously guilty. But I don't like exceptions. So just make him wish he could be executed. Put him in main pop.

Reactions: JamesD7
I dont know about anyone else, but this thing has a dark cloud hanging over my head. Its like I've slide back into a depressed state of mind that I have only felt during the darkest times of my personal life.

I really thought we were past this point as an american culture. Not sure I will ever shake this one honestly...

Thank God my College English Professor was not alive to see this happen. She herself a white scholar that marched with Dr. King, held hands with Mya Angelou, and wept in birgmingham. Dedicated her life to helping African American College students graduate. Never have or probably never will meet a soul like hers again in my lifetime. but I can't stop weeping for her and my fellow brothers and sister today. Tragic beyond words.

After reading this thread, I am wondering why there wasn't more of an outcry when we released all those terrorists from Gitmo, or why there was such an outcry about water boarding terrorists at Gitmo. I guess all hate crimes aren't created equal.

Our legal system is far too lenient. The number of repeat offenders is all the evidence you need to see that. When the punishment is set at the correct level of severity, first offenses would be dramatically reduced and repeat offenders would be a thing of the past.

So a law is capable of deterring criminals from committing crime but not from acquiring a gun? Makes sense.

No, a law can't do anything, but the punishment for breaking the law can do a whole lot. Big difference. Great job on the jackassery too BTW.

so you must believe in gun control then, since criminal penalties impact criminal behavior, and gun violence is bad. or am i missing something?

I don't know that I'd call our legal system lenient, we have more people in prison than any other country in the world. Part of the issue is that we don't teach prisoners any real skills when they're in prison. So they get out with no job skills and a criminal record, which gives many of them no real options to make money except to commit more crimes.

200.gif

I th
I don't know that I'd call our legal system lenient, we have more people in prison than any other country in the world. Part of the issue is that we don't teach prisoners any real skills when they're in prison. So they get out with no job skills and a criminal record, which gives many of them no real options to make money except to commit more crimes.
I think we do some teaching. Not sure how many take advantage.

Prison isn't a very strict penalty, at least not always. Many times, prison life is better than the life that people had before they went in.

There really isn't anything to debate here, if the penalties were harsher, people would think twice before breaking the law. I'm not saying that would eliminate all crime, there would still be some people in some really bad situations that decide to, or are forced to break the law. However, crime would go down and it would go down a lot.

Let's take a very minor crime as an illustration, speeding. The speed limit on most interstates these days seems to be 65-70. Most people drive at least 75 and lots drive even faster than that. Why? Because if/when they get caught, they either get a warning or they get a ticket for a couple hundred dollars and 4-6 points on their license. Why did that person decide to speed? It's not because they were running late or were in a hurry, that might be the reason they told the cop, but the real reason is that they were willing to bet that they wouldn't get caught and even if they did, they viewed the punishment to be minimal, the juice was worth the squeeze. If speeding fines went up to a couple thousand dollars, instead of just a couple hundred, speeding would be eliminated almost immediately and the excuse of running late and/or in a hurry wouldn't fly. No one would be willing to that big of a fine just to get somewhere on time if they were running late, they'd go the speed limit and just be late.

An eye for an eye...we are far too lenient.

so you must believe in gun control then, since criminal penalties impact criminal behavior, and gun violence is bad. or am i missing something?

I'm not following...I'm all for gun control, but probably not in the same sense that you are. You want to take guns away from everybody, I would just take them away from the people who use them illegally.

ADVERTISEMENT