ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP but was suprised to not see a thread about Dabo and this Family Council

OculusTiger

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2015
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...r-at-anti-gay-group-fundraiser-184819701.html
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...r-at-anti-gay-group-fundraiser-184819701.html
As I said, Sorry if there is another thread, but I did not see it. The national media has caught onto this now so I am sure that there will be people calling for Dabo's head and it will explode into a huge BS offseason story. What does everyone think about this? I am honestly torn. I see it as no problem if Dabo speaks to a group (it isn't like he said this in an interview or a public forum speaking about the topic). In my mind it isn't much different than him speaking at an FCA event. However, those aren't my personal beliefs, but I don't care at all about Dabo's personal beliefs as long as he is representing Clemson well and he certainly does that well.

What does the board think? Hopefully this won't turn into a media storm but I have a feeling it might.

For the record, Dabo probably knows somebody in the organization and was asked to come speak. Dabo said sure, and he will likely talk about the benefits of a strong family and his Christian background. I doubt he just comes out and says negative opinions on the topic of gay marriage. Some reporter looking for something to do visits a website and tweets about it and BOOM, national story. That is the way things are now though.

Article says Dabo is receiving an award, fwiw.

I'm pretty positive DS will not be taking any hard stances at this engagement. Dabo is not in the business of alienating people.

There was one. It was locked and either moved to the round table or deleted. Nothing good can come of a thread about it.

Reactions: na_alum
Honestly, I think it is a little overblown, but if he does attend now, people will make a big deal out of it. Like Clemson's spokesperson said, he's being given an award and is going to accept it. The award isn't for being anti-gay and I doubt he speaks about being anti-gay.

Personally, I would like to see him decline and think he should avoid hot button political events like this as much as possible. It's unfortunate that things can get blown out of proportion, but they do. Anything that can negatively affect his brand and Clemson's brand should be avoided and I think this can only hurt, not help. It may help with some, but it will hurt with just as many. Those aren't the odds you want.

Honestly, I think it is a little overblown, but if he does attend now, people will make a big deal out of it. Like Clemson's spokesperson said, he's being given an award and is going to accept it. The award isn't for being anti-gay and I doubt he speaks about being anti-gay.

Personally, I would like to see him decline and think he should avoid hot button political events like this as much as possible. It's unfortunate that things can get blown out of proportion, but they do. Anything that can negatively affect his brand and Clemson's brand should be avoided and I think this can only hurt, not help. It may help with some, but it will hurt with just as many. Those aren't the odds you want.

Trust me, as long as he doesn't go all Westboro-Baptist (and he won't) this won't play poorly to recruits and fans of the program. People know who Dabo is and what he stands for.

A 10-second cruise of The Palmetto Family Council's website shows that they aren't simply an anti-gay marriage organization.

Last edited:
IMO, it isn't very smart for a public figure to align themselves with a political organization that actively promotes bigotry...

Reactions: ClemTiger9
Paul Strelow
@PaulStrelowTI

58m
SMH that Dabo Swinney supporting marriage, family and sexual purity is being portrayed as hatred. Irrational and uninformed.

Would love to hear what "sexual purity" is. Is that missionary position 100% of teh time?

I am not familiar with the Palmetto Family Council, so I don't know what its definition necessarily is.

My interpretation is simply that it refers to integrating the Church's doctrine on chaste living.

"The paper also noted that South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner had previously spoken to the organization."
What was the media response to that?
Hopefully Tanner spoke prior to winning back to back nattys.

Reactions: SWUtigers
Paul Strelow
@PaulStrelowTI

58m
SMH that Dabo Swinney supporting marriage, family and sexual purity is being portrayed as hatred. Irrational and uninformed.

Would love to hear what "sexual purity" is. Is that missionary position 100% of teh time?

With the light off and you in your bed and your wife in the other.

I have been pondering whether to pen a letter to President Clements regarding that matter.

Response would probably be interesting. Likely something like this:

2it3ec4.jpg

They did tell the FFRF to f*** off.

Reactions: SWUtigers
Pretty much any important figure that is involved with the Clemson Football team in any shape form or fashion attends Newspring. If they don't, 99.9% chance their children do. Might as well get past that.
Going to make the fallout for Clemson even worse when that organization goes down...

Well, when it does RonMunson and company can rejoice. But I honestly don't see this organization going anywhere anytime soon.

As it grows, I'm sure something will come out - something like Perry Noble uttered a swear word in 2003 or something. The vultures will look for dirt until they either find something substantial or just find something insignificant and blow it way out of proportion....

I do not attend Newspring, BTW. I have no vested interest in them either way.

IMO, it isn't very smart for a public figure to align themselves with a political organization that actively promotes bigotry...

Somehow I knew we would meet in this thread, my friend!

OK, I'll bite.

The quick Google definition for bigotry is intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. Not that Google is Merriam-Webster, haha, but contending that someone who upholds Christian values is a bigot is the pot calling the kettle black, no?

I do believe there's a misconception out there for the Biblical viewpoint on homosexuality, assuming that is the issue to which you're referring. Bottom line, you can oppose the sin but love the sinner. But that's not the popular view in our mob culture where moral relativism reigns supreme.

Moreover, sticking up for the virtues of traditional family life suddenly gets twisted into a perceived attack of other lifestyles. That is not a double standard applied to those espousing opposing viewpoints or beliefs.

I suspect you disagree, haha, as will others ITT. And nothing either side says will change the other's mind.

Sure, it's controversial. But if you don't take a stand for what you believe in, are you really a believer? Would Swinney experience the same backlash if the roles were reversed for which group he accepted an award from?

(Just to be clear here, my opinions do not reflect those of TI, Chris, Larry, B.J. Emmons ... anyone else but me).

Got a few NewSpringers in this thread.

Not this guy, I share some of the same views as you about Newspring Church. I also have some negative views of other churches. Not everyone is perfect, however I do know that the church helps with A LOT of recruits that Clemson gets.

Why is it that gay rights organizations and the like are the only ones that have freedom of speech or freedom of opinion? It's okay for them to scream at and blast others for not believing the way they do, but when someone else stands for something different, then they get chastised? That's okay??

And as far as Newspring....it's a church. I go to a church. Some of you go to churches. If the pastor of a church "goes down" as you say...why is that a reflection on you as a member?

Don't get me wrong, I understand why some of you don't understand something so simple. It's just sad beyond sad that there are so many of you.

Reactions: crazyhazy2005
I'm now dumber having read the rationalization ITT. Gays are in the midst of their civil rights breakthrough. It's a very bad idea to be seen on the wrong side of history and I think its a mistake to associate publicly with those who are funding the losing side. It's just a stupid move and he's going to get trashed in the national media for it.

Being in favor of marriage between a man and a woman isn't anti-gay. I am so tired of the stupidity and demagoguery around this issue. Graham Watson is a flipping idiot. So tired of this crap.

Why is it that gay rights organizations and the like are the only ones that have freedom of speech or freedom of opinion? It's okay for them to scream at and blast others for not believing the way they do, but when someone else stands for something different, then they get chastised? That's okay??

And as far as Newspring....it's a church. I go to a church. Some of you go to churches. If the pastor of a church "goes down" as you say...why is that a reflection on you as a member?

Don't get me wrong, I understand why some of you don't understand something so simple. It's just sad beyond sad that there are so many of you.

You must have never read about Jim Bakker .

Everyone does. That's why nobody is getting arrested. Freedom of speech does not protect you from people calling you out.

However, it seems like you are comparing being vocal about traditional marriage and being vocal about marriage equality for LGBT, as if they are the same. One of these two ideas restricts the other group.

Reactions: JackPackTerrier

OK, I'll bite.

The quick Google definition for bigotry is intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. Not that Google is Merriam-Webster, haha, but contending that someone who upholds Christian values is a bigot is the pot calling the kettle black, no?

I do believe there's a misconception out there for the Biblical viewpoint on homosexuality, assuming that is the issue to which you're referring. Bottom line, you can oppose the sin but love the sinner. But that's not the popular view in our mob culture where moral relativism reigns supreme.

Respectfully, are you not demonstrating "intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself" by trying to legislate your own opinions at the expense of people with whom you don't agree? I think it's a little unfair of you to suggest it's a pot calling the kettle black situation. If people who supported gay marriage were trying to force churches to conduct gay marriages or force them to change their beliefs (and I know some probably are but it's a minority), that would be bigotry but that's not what's happening.

This is a weird situation because I don't believe that "traditional family" advocates have ill-will in their hearts. I just feel that this is quite simply an intolerant part of Christianity and trying to impose that intolerance on everyone isn't great.

OK, I'll bite.

Moreover, sticking up for the virtues of traditional family life suddenly gets twisted into a perceived attack of other lifestyles. That is not a double standard applied to those espousing opposing viewpoints or beliefs.

I suspect you disagree, haha, as will others ITT. And nothing either side says will change the other's mind.

Sure, it's controversial. But if you don't take a stand for what you believe in, are you really a believer? Would Swinney experience the same backlash if the roles were reversed for which group he accepted an award from?
I don't think anyone has an issue with a Christian or any other person supporting traditional family values. However, "supporting" that ideology and actively pursuing legislation that would deny citizens the ability to marry are two very different concepts. If your church does not want to recognize gay marriage, that is perfectly fine. No one is going to force any priest or pastor to marry two individuals of the same sex. But I have a serious problem with Christians pursing legislation that would ban such marriages by the government.

As for Swinney taking a stand for what he believes in, the head coaching job at Clemson is bigger than Dabo Swinney. It should not be a bully pulpit for denying basic rights to citizens of our country.

When did any LGBT organization pursue legislation to limit the rights of another group of people?

Reactions: AustinTiger77
ADVERTISEMENT