ADVERTISEMENT

So, how many of you

mjrodge

The Milwaukee Deep
Oct 28, 2005
are moving to another country. i know a bunch of you must have promised at some point that if same sex marriage gets legalized you'd move. how many of you can i count on to keep your word?

Reactions: poates6
what does this mean for ministers and churches? Our Church has married gay couples before, so It doesnt really affect me, but Im curious what this means for churches who are little more Old Testament????

are moving to another country. i know a bunch of you must have promised at some point that if same sex marriage gets legalized you'd move. how many of you can i count on to keep your word?

Choices would be highlighted in red.. Good luck

world-map-640p-2-2015-of-78-countries.jpg

Me. Gonna expatriate. Stop paying taxes.

Which is better? Cost Rica or Thailand?

So, you have no specific names and you're not even sure that a single person even said this...but you're going to call out people that may not exist and hold them to their word even though they might not have said it?

You should have just said, "the SCOTUS legalized gay marriage in all 50 states and I want to gloat about it on the internet, but I'm not real creative." Much more to the point.

what does this mean for ministers and churches? Our Church has married gay couples before, so It doesnt really affect me, but Im curious what this means for churches who are little more Old Testament????
The good news is: "legal" and "Christian" do not mean the same thing. It's "legal" to commit adultery. There will be no church service honoring adulterers and celebrating adultery before God. The fact that gay marriage is "legal" does not...cannot compel a Christian church to participate in a gay marriage or to allow its facilities to be used for one.

The good news is: "legal" and "Christian" do not mean the same thing. It's "legal" to commit adultery. There will be no church service honoring adulterers and celebrating adultery before God. The fact that gay marriage is "legal" does not...cannot compel a Christian church to participate in a gay marriage or to allow its facilities to be used for one.
Facts, facts, facts.

Well I'm on a waiting list to move, but they're still trying to relocate all the idiots like Sean Penn and Alec Baldwin and Gwyneth Paltrow and half of Hollywood that said they would flee the country if Bush got elected to a second term.

Well I'm on a waiting list to move, but they're still trying to relocate all the idiots like Sean Penn and Alec Baldwin and Gwyneth Paltrow and half of Hollywood that said they would flee the country if Bush got elected to a second term.

You left out the worse and most vocal one that made that promise.

the-year-was-1999-michael-moore-is-a-fat-pig-political-poster-1261611877.jpg

could they threaten tax-exempt status?

I'm still working on whether I am Parent 1 or Parent 2 since there is no longer a mother and father designation.

It is a symptom... the more government is in our lives the more taxes you will pay or the more they will control what you can say or do.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
Possibly. A lot of denominations and congregations are already prepared for that. The fact is that if 95% of churches didn't have tax exempt status, it wouldn't matter. Very, very few churches take in more money in a given year than is absolutely required to operate the church. The groups that would suffer would be mission-orientated groups because congregations wouldn't be able to give as much due to accounting for the tax liability associated with the funds.

Possibly. A lot of denominations and congregations are already prepared for that. The fact is that if 95% of churches didn't have tax exempt status, it wouldn't matter. Very, very few churches take in more money in a given year than is absolutely required to operate the church. The groups that would suffer would be mission-orientated groups because congregations wouldn't be able to give as much due to accounting for the tax liability associated with the funds.

Would there be any impact on hospitals with religious affiliations?

It is a symptom... the more government is in our lives the more taxes you will pay or the more they will control what you can say or do.
It seems like keeping the government out of people's personal lives (which this decision does) would be an instance of less government intrusion, no?

Maybe you are just ok with selective government intrusion?

New Zealand

Liberal minority got their way through corrupt judges. I don't think a single state had a majority vote for gay marriage. Liberals will still be miserable people whether they get way or not. They do love failure and moral decay.

So, you have no specific names and you're not even sure that a single person even said this...but you're going to call out people that may not exist and hold them to their word even though they might not have said it?

You should have just said, "the SCOTUS legalized gay marriage in all 50 states and I want to gloat about it on the internet, but I'm not real creative." Much more to the point.

We found at least one person.

It seems like keeping the government out of people's personal lives (which this decision does) would be an instance of less government intrusion, no?

Maybe you are just ok with selective government intrusion?

Kinda how I see it. If you truly want less govt, then you can't be okay with a govt that tells two (2) law-abiding and consenting adults that they can't do something because of their sexuality. That's more govt, not less.

Would there be any impact on hospitals with religious affiliations?
Who knows? I think it's funny that in a conversation about gay marriage, the Christian Church even comes up. A "marriage ceremony" where we gather up a bunch of people, get a license, etc. is something WE created. In bible times you would simply "take" or "claim" a wife. In most denominations(other than Catholic), the marriage ceremony isn't even a sacrament.

Going down to First Methodist Church on the corner and claiming they have to marry gays is not much different than insisting they honor thieves who haven't been caught yet, or coveters. Practicing homosexuality is just a sin...no more special or important than any other sin. It's the gays who want their particular sin to be extra special, so the Christian Church is the most obvious target.

Liberal minority got their way through corrupt judges. I don't think a single state had a majority vote for gay marriage. Liberals will still be miserable people whether they get way or not. They do love failure and moral decay.

You can argue morally it was the wrong thing to do, but legally it was 100% the correct decision.

Call me ignorant but can gay spouses be on each others insurance at work? If so, what's to keep buddies, male or female, from getting "married" for insurance purposes? And finally, would that be insurance fraud if they did? Just curious.

Congrats on your victory

How long before we push to allow marriage across species?

Getting married in a Christian church has absolutely nothing to do with being married in the eyes of the government. The government cannot force religious institutions to marry homosexuals anymore than it can force someone who wants to get married to do so in a Christian church.

Reactions: wburress
Call me ignorant but can gay spouses be on each others insurance at work? If so, what's to keep buddies, male or female, from getting "married" for insurance purposes? And finally, would that be insurance fraud if they did? Just curious.

What's keeping straight people from doing it now?

I'm curious about can of worms coming from this. Straights getting
You think someone would marry their buddy for benefits ?
Desparate people do desparate things. My question was purely hypothetical and not what I think nessecarily. That's why I asked. To see what others thought. I guess my question should be 'can gay marriage lead to a national insurance scandal?'. I'm a straight engineer not an insurance guy. It is just something I have wondered recently and this seemed like a good place to ask.

What, exactly, is this map representing?

ADVERTISEMENT