ADVERTISEMENT

this marine diesel engine video may interest some of you.

Nice, worked in the port industry for 7 years. Now working in the marine fueling sector

Nice, worked in the port industry for 7 years. Now working in the marine fueling sector

marine fueling....I know all about that. Sailed mostly as 2nd so I bunkered and took care of the purifiers. Summertime in the Gulf of Mexico....down in the purifier room. Headed for Houston. Brutal.

Ha I bet! I'm working with solutions to the new ECA emission standards for lower sulfur content.

Ha I bet! I'm working with solutions to the new ECA emission standards for lower sulfur content.

got any? Solutions I mean.....That is a hard nut to crack. Out in LA they were considering having the ship engine shut down and having a couple of tugs tow the boat to the dock. This was proposed by idiots of course. I am not discounting the problem of air pollution but people need jobs....the regulators just look at you over the top of their glasses and say..."is there anything else?" I used to sail to the Med a good bit and in the morning it was amazing the low lying smog that was over the land.....but when your fuel is what is left over after everything else useful is removed...you do what you can....heat the crap out of it.....let centrifugal force do what it can and hope your injectors don't seize.

BTW, as a pretty confirmed bourbon.....I don't think I chug but I may be wrong....drinker....what is your go to? I used to drink 86 proof Wild Turkey but then they went to 80 and I have not had it since. Larceny I have sometimes and also George Dickel.

got any? Solutions I mean.....That is a hard nut to crack. Out in LA they were considering having the ship engine shut down and having a couple of tugs tow the boat to the dock. This was proposed by idiots of course. I am not discounting the problem of air pollution but people need jobs....the regulators just look at you over the top of their glasses and say..."is there anything else?" I used to sail to the Med a good bit and in the morning it was amazing the low lying smog that was over the land.....but when your fuel is what is left over after everything else useful is removed...you do what you can....heat the crap out of it.....let centrifugal force do what it can and hope your injectors don't seize.
Very true... the new low sulfur fuels are really taking their toll, I've heard similar stories with some of the South Atlantic ports. We've also been looking into the capabilities of LNG for AUX and dual fuel applications, but problem is availability and capital expenses of engine conversion. We should def chat sometime offline.

BTW, as a pretty confirmed bourbon.....I don't think I chug but I may be wrong....drinker....what is your go to? I used to drink 86 proof Wild Turkey but then they went to 80 and I have not had it since. Larceny I have sometimes and also George Dickel.

On the cheap my go to is Evan Williams 1783

Mid-range - I stick with Makers (signed up as an ambassador, you should look it up if you are not familiar with it) & Bulleit. Also Eagle Rare is one of my favs when available. Prob the best bang for you buck.

High end- I try many different bourbons, but I got to say Blanton's is my fav.

On the cheap my go to is Evan Williams 1783

Mid-range - I stick with Makers (signed up as an ambassador, you should look it up if you are not familiar with it) & Bulleit. Also Eagle Rare is one of my favs when available. Prob the best bang for you buck.

High end- I try many different bourbons, but I got to say Blanton's is my fav.

I did sign up as a Maker's Mark ambassador. got a cask number and everything. Still waiting for my free case. LNG ships have used boil-off from their cargo as fuel for a long time.....I never sailed on an LNG ships but went to school with guys who did. Those were turbine ships and not diesel. Those long stroke, slow speed engines are pretty efficient compared to what was out there just 20 years ago......of course the Iceheart08's of the world don't realize that something that is better than before but not yet as good as they want is not a bad thing. Maybe I will buy a bottle of Blanton's with some of my first Social Security check. Anyway, best regards....nice to talk about something that was at one time a very important part of my life but which I now have a hard time remembering. that video of the engine is pretty much what I experienced for long months at the time. Good grief....I hated the noise. Now, if I am sitting outside in the cool of the evening and someone starts cutting their grass....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT