ADVERTISEMENT

This week in one picture

I don't think its my place to tell people what they can and can't do. My issue is political. Just think this was a state issue and each state should have the opportunity to vote on it. Like everything else, if my state voted for it, I can live with that. That's the way it should be IMO. If things get bad enough, I can just do what @Cabotiger did, I guess.

This. But you are not going to get liberals to agree with this. Everything is about emotion and building coalitions.

Last edited:
I fvcking hate what has happened to this once great country.

20150626_white_house_rainbow_2_psg_1160_956x519.jpg

This isnt real is it?

Yes, as embarrassing as it is, it is real. Nothing to do with gays, but it is just throwing it back in the face of the religious and those for states rights.

you are right, the gay flag being displayed on the whitehouse is a personal insult aimed at you and other christains and "states rights" activists, and not aimed at celebrating a landmark supreme court decision in favor of marriage equality. Must be tough being you, what with the president personally insulting you all the time.

you are right, the gay flag being displayed on the whitehouse is a personal insult aimed at you and other christains and "states rights" activists, and not aimed at celebrating a landmark supreme court decision in favor of marriage equality. Must be tough being you, what with the president personally insulting you all the time.

Could have been handled in many other ways than lighting up the white house. But I know you are left wing on literally every single political issue, so I wouldnt expect any different.

It is a little juvenile and embarassing. Just seems very unprofessional on a topic that is split in America. We cant just make a decision and move on without acting childish. This is the leader of our country. Just poor taste.

has it ever been lit up to honor...let's say...our troops?

I could care less about the gay marriage It doesnt effect me in anyway...whether I agree with it or not...it is irrelevant. The White House should not have been lit up as a controversial flag. It is funny how SC removes a flag because it has multiple meanings and is considered controversial but the white house is lit up as another flag that has also created controversy. One controversy is OK and one is not...

It is offensive to some (again I could care less) just as the confederate flag is offensive to some therefore our government should not have done this

I feel bad for all the people that get worked up over all of this stuff. Life is too short to be pissed off and/or offended all the time.

well prepare yourself because the more and more these little groups win and the more they get there way, the more controversy there will be

Reactions: tiger orange
The White House should not have been light-up, but don't think it was done as a rebuke to Christianity or States Rights.

Reactions: watty55
I feel bad for all the people that get worked up over all of this stuff. Life is too short to be pissed off and/or offended all the time.

Tell that to the people demanding the confederate flag and anything related civil war to be taken down.

Could have been handled in many other ways than lighting up the white house. But I know you are left wing on literally every single political issue, so I wouldnt expect any different.

This what you mean?

Liberals believe in government action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all. It is the duty of the government to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights. Believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve problems.

Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals. Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.

Reactions: Ron Munson
This what you mean?

Liberals believe in government action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all. It is the duty of the government to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights. Believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve problems.

Conservatives believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals. Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.

Basically yes.

Left wing liberals have also shown time and time again they don't really care much for the constitution. Very ironic that the president is a constitutional lawyer.

Reactions: justntime
So what does this mean to the man who wants to marry his car, or thinks it is his right to be able to marry 15 women now?

I would say that you are talking apples and oranges.

So you are saying that if a law says a man can marry a man that implies that a man can marry a car? I also believe that poligamy (sp) is addressed in the law already (as in you can't do that) BUT it would seem to me that passing a law that says marriage is between a man and a woman would invite more debate on a man marrying 15 women than a law allowing same sex marriage. So that would beg the question... Did you ask this question when folks were proposing a constitutional amendment declaring marriage to be between a man and a woman.

well prepare yourself because the more and more these little groups win and the more they get there way, the more controversy there will be

These little groups? ~60% of Americans support equal marriage rights for gays.

11071304_10153455501654700_2585492975036252125_n.png

I offer no opinion on the above. I'm sure some are stewing and some are happy.
Here is MY problem!!

I could care less if you are LGBT or not. I have relatives (whom I love) who fit into those categories. What you do in YOUR home does not affect me.

This is a FREE country and people can/will do what they want.

Just don't ask or try to make me say that I agree with it. You can marry your dog for all I care.

You can't preach tolerance and free speech, and then want to shut it down when said opinion doesn't fall in line with yours.

That's where ALL people go wrong. You can do what you want, live how you want. However, YOUR rights end when they start infringing on mine.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED!!

#downoffsoapbox

Last edited:
These little groups? ~60% of Americans support equal marriage rights for gays.

that leaves 40% or so that doesnt...personally I do not get worked up about these things and dont give a damn but the point is...it is still a controversial issue in America...plain and simple. It is. Just like the meaning and view of the confederate monument was as well...

And where do you get your percentages? Were we able to vote on the issue as a country? Pretty sure it was a decision made without a vote...it was decided for us so we dont know what percentage of America agrees and what percentage disagrees. You know 87.5643728685% of all statistics are made up...

I just found it ironic that this week we have had two controversies...one resulted in a flag being taken down by political agenda and one flag being honored on the nations capital as political agenda. Both issues were just that...political aggenda

that leaves 40% or so that doesnt...personally I do not get worked up about these things and dont give a damn but the point is...it is still a controversial issue in America...plain and simple. It is. Just like the meaning and view of the confederate monument was as well...

And where do you get your percentages? Were we able to vote on the issue as a country? Pretty sure it was a decision made without a vote...it was decided for us so we dont know what percentage of America agrees and what percentage disagrees. You know 87.5643728685% of all statistics are made up...

I just found it ironic that this week we have had two controversies...one resulted in a flag being taken down by political agenda and one flag being honored on the nations capital as political agenda. Both issues were just that...political aggenda

So all the various polls over the years (multiple polls from multiple sources per year) that showed an increasing amount of support for gay marriage are inaccurate in your eyes? I understand stats can be manipulated but these polls were made to be 'yes' or 'no' to the question 'should gay people be allowed to wed?' Seems straightforward to me. My only point in mentioning these polls is to refute your point that it was a small group that won a large victory. Frankly, Americans supported it by a majority.

So all the various polls over the years (multiple polls from multiple sources per year) that showed an increasing amount of support for gay marriage are inaccurate in your eyes? I understand stats can be manipulated but these polls were made to be 'yes' or 'no' to the question 'should gay people be allowed to wed?' Seems straightforward to me. My only point in mentioning these polls is to refute your point that it was a small group that won a large victory. Frankly, Americans supported it by a majority.

That has nothing to do with the fact that I think them lighting the flag up as a gay pride flag was bull shit. That is what I am arguing here...not getting into the political aspect of how this all went down. Personally I have pretty similar views as Gamewell stated above...Just saying that lighting he White House up as a rainbow was over board and excessive and I found it ironic considering the whole flag controversy in SC. That flag is not a government flag and our nations capital should t be lit up like it

And no, I don't care about polls conducted by poltic sites.

That has nothing to do with the fact that I think them lighting the flag up as a gay pride flag was bull shit. That is what I am arguing here...not getting into the political aspect of how this all went down. Personally I have pretty similar views as Gamewell stated above...Just saying that lighting he White House up as a rainbow was over board and excessive and I found it ironic considering the whole flag controversy in SC. That flag is not a government flag and our nations capital should t be lit up like it

And no, I don't care about polls conducted by poltic sites.

I was only responding to your statement implying that the gay rights movement was a "little group". If you want to ignore that you said that, so be it. As far as lighting up the White House, I agree with your stance but that wasn't what I was addressing in your post.

Also, I'd suggest doing a bit more research if you think the polls I was referencing came from political sites. There are plenty of polls from all diferent sides that correlate. That's pretty telling...

Everytime it was put up to popular vote, gay marriage was shot down. California was so confident it would pass, they put it up to popular vote then overrode that vote because it wasn't the result they wanted. At the time I believe black votes were something like 90% against gay marriage, which is why Barry initially came out as against it. For people who think his stance has evovled, you are blinded by your own ideology. He simply was pandering.

Reactions: orangelvis
Here is MY problem!!

I could care less if you are LGBT or not. I have relatives (whom I love) who fit into those categories. What you do in YOUR home does not affect me.

This is a FREE country and people can/will do what they want.

Just don't ask or try to make me say that I agree with it. You can marry your dog for all I care.

You can't preach tolerance and free speech, and then want to shut it down when said opinion doesn't fall in line with yours.

That's where ALL people go wrong. You can do what you want, live how you want. However, YOUR rights end when they start infringing on mine.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO NOT BE OFFENDED!!

#downoffsoapbox

This is the other key. Liberals preach all above tolerance...but only when they agree with it. We must be tolerant of Muslims but not Christians.

Everytime it was put up to popular vote, gay marriage was shot down. California was so confident it would pass, they put it up to popular vote then overrode that vote because it wasn't the result they wanted. At the time I believe black votes were something like 90% against gay marriage, which is why Barry initially came out as against it. For people who think his stance has evovled, you are blinded by your own ideology. He simply was pandering.

I believe you must be referring to Proposition 8, which was put forward by opponents of gay marriage, not those in favor. California didn't put it up because they were confident it would pass, they put it up because the opponents to gay marriage who were proposing the vote got 8% of the total turnout for the governers election to sign a petition to make it into a vote. So actually, those people against gay marriage was why the vote even happened. Also, it was 70% of black voters not 90; still impressively bigoted but not as much as you suggested.

In addition, this vote was won by a whopping 52% to 48%. This was in 2008. It's 2015 and I'm sure many people who were initially against would be in favor now. I am one of those people.

And yes, pretty much everything Obama does is calculated for maximum political leverage so pandering is a prerequisite of his.

Since when is it politically correct to decide whose level of insult is more relevant than another's?

Reactions: scartiger
I lived in California during Prop 8.

It was 2008. The spread was around 4% against. It was brought on the ballot by proponents of gay marriage. I do wish that more states voted (or revoted) on Gay Marriage recently because I think it would show the changing landscape on the issue. Both Washington and Maryland state voted to legalize in 2012.

A recent Pew Poll showed that 39% of Republicans now support Gay Marriage (61% from 18-29 age group) this is up from 18% of a Republican 6 years ago. Now the 65+ base of the party is still strongly against it, but the party needs to evolve and support it and stopped getting bogged down by sticky political issues that alienate younger voters and independent voters and only play to old white people and Evangelical Christians.

Not going to win national elections with those as your base.

ADVERTISEMENT