ADVERTISEMENT

Uh, Markets getting crushed as Virus ramps up

I thought the shutdown was to try to prevent a crash by shutting the whole thing down. In other words - it was intentional.

The will intentionally shut down the trading floor but not the trading systems. You will still be able to execute trades minues a 1-2 day disruption to switch to emergency back up systems.

Believe it or not there are still trading pits where people stand inches away from each other all day. If one of them gets sick the whole crowd is getting it. They may shut down the floor portion of the exchange but the trading systems will keep running.

And no, other than circuit breakers or temporary stops during the day, they will not shut down the exchange to prevent a sell off.

None of what you wrote has failed to disprove my point that death rate from COVID is much higher than that of the flu. 10% of all comers with COVID in Italy have required icu care, which is an incredible number
Italy is also an older population. Italy is the second oldest per person average to Japan. This plays a roll as well

I thought the shutdown was to try to prevent a crash by shutting the whole thing down. In other words - it was intentional.

That’s just a circuit break. Level 1 halts trading for 15 minutes if there is a 7% drop prior to 3:25. Same at level 2. Level 3 shuts it down for the day. We hit a level 1 this morning.

According to a buddies facebook post... XM radio channel 121 is non-stop coronavirus talk with doctors and he listened this weekend and he said the consistent them was there is no need to panic

May have to listen to that some today

How about the dipshit GOP congressman Matt Gaetz who wore the gas mask to congress to point how overblown it is? He just quarantined himself since he is possibly infected.

I’m parroting the two directors of healthcare policy and analysis for two of the largest and wealthiest broker dealers in the world who were on the analyst call I was on this morning - both of whom have medical backgrounds and get paid massive amounts of money to provide guidance and analysis for companies that literally rest hundreds of billions of dollars on said guidance and analysis. But, carry on with your partisan political screeching.

Oh, okay. Didn't realize I was talking to someone so important. My apologies.

Italy is also an older population. Italy is the second oldest per person average to Japan. This plays a roll as well

ICU admissions and deaths have ranged between the ages of 46-83 in Italy

How about the dipshit GOP congressman Matt Gaetz who wore the gas mask to congress to point how overblown it is? He just quarantined himself since he is possibly infected.

I may get infected...if I do I am pretty sure I’ll be fine. It is what it is.

I may get infected...if I do I am pretty sure I’ll be fine. It is what it is.

Would Trump? I just read that Gaetz flew on air force one with him hours before his self quarantine. He is in the danger zone in terms of age and health. Let me abundantly clear, I am not wishing that on him. Just pointing out that some potentially infected just flew on Air Force One with the president.

Would Trump? I just read that Gaetz flew on air force one with him hours before his self quarantine. He is in the danger zone in terms of age and health. Let me abundantly clear, I am not wishing that on him. Just pointing out that some potentially infected just flew on Air Force One with the president.

OK...

Current report showing 447 new cases reported and just 24 new deaths. It seems to be slowing down...

the next report should be in a couple hours or so.

Curious if those on the bottom end of that scale were compromised in some way (weak immune system, smokers, etc). Not making excuses but genuinely curious.

Curious if those on the bottom end of that scale were compromised in some way (weak immune system, smokers, etc). Not making excuses but genuinely curious.

I think Italy has a high percentage of smokers.

Not making excuses either as I'm genuinely concerned. The mortality rate seems very high in Italy though.

Last edited:

Not making excuses either as I'm genuinely concerned. The mortally rate seems very high in Italy though.

Admittedly it does seem high, which is why I was thinking about the smoking angle.

It should also be noted that until we get numbers of patients recovering vs patients that die, we won't have an accurate death toll percentage.

Not making excuses either as I'm genuinely concerned. The mortality rate seems very high in Italy though.

We don’t know how many of those in Italy were chronic smokers, so hard to say anything about that - if at all.
Keep in mind, italy has a healthier population than America, and their life expectancy is longer. It’s a generally healthier cohort even if some people do occasionally smoke

We don’t know how many of those in Italy were chronic smokers, so hard to say anything about that - if at all.
Keep in mind, italy has a healthier population than America, and their life expectancy is longer. It’s a generally healthier cohort even if some people do occasionally smoke

Understand.
I actually just watched part of the WHO press conference from yesterday. Sounds like any data of underlying conditions reported are diagnosed underlying conditions (ie heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, etc)

It is interesting that their goal is complete containment and elimination, and are concerned with the the attitude of only trying to mitigate. This is in contrast to the H1N1 pandemic in 2009 when they held the position that it could not be contained and did not recommend aggressive measures such as closing borders and restricting travel.

Understand.
I actually just watched part of the WHO press conference from yesterday. Sounds like any data of underlying conditions reported are diagnosed underlying conditions (ie heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease, etc)

It is interesting that their goal is complete containment and elimination, and are concerned with the the attitude of only trying to mitigate. This is in contrast to the H1N1 pandemic in 2009 when they held the position that it could not be contained and did not recommend aggressive measures such as closing borders and restricting travel.

most people who die in the hospital, regardless of cause, have other comorbid conditions. If you live long enough, especially if you’re American living in the US, you likely will develop other medical conditions. Very few adults are otherwise perfectly healthy when they come down with an illness - it doesn’t necessarily lessen the severity of whatever took them to the hospital in the first place

Reactions: COB1297
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT