ADVERTISEMENT

‘So-called TikTok ban is a Trojan Horse’

TigerGrowls

Woodrush
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
I am worried about this one as it may allow the govt to censor free speech.

Rep. Massie: ‘So-called TikTok ban is a Trojan Horse’ that would give massive censorship power to US president​

March 12, 2024 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

While Congress rushes to ban TikTok because of the communist Chinese, Thomas Massie is calling the bill a “trojan horse” and Elon Musk says it’s all about censorship.
The so-called TikTok ban is a trojan horse. The President will be given the power to ban WEB SITES, not just Apps. The person breaking the new law is deemed to be the U.S. (or offshore) INTERNET HOSTING SERVICE or App Store, not the ‘foreign adversary,'” Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) warned on X.
Billionaire Elon Musk agrees with that conclusion and issued his own warning on X, “This law is not just about TikTok, it is about censorship and government control! If it were just about TikTok, it would only cite ‘foreign control’ as the issue, but it does not.”

Both Republicans and Democrats have been screaming for the TikTok app to be banned because it ostensibly allows the communist Chinese to spy on us and influence American politics and our children. Both are true but it appears that the ban is a smoke and mirrors distraction. Instead of going after the Chinese, it looks like another vehicle for censorship and control.

Still, there are conservatives who are convinced that TikTok is a national security threat.
“Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, the top Republican on the Senate Intelligence Committee, sharply criticized TikTok during an annual worldwide threats hearing Monday with the top leaders of the U.S. intelligence community. In a series of questions to Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Chris Wray, Rubio attempted to characterize the company as beholden to the Chinese Communist Party and legally obligated to comply with government requests to share data on its users or alter its algorithms in ways that could be harmful to the U.S., such as pushing content to American audiences that could promote internal division and violence,” the Wall Street Journal reported.

Former President Trump pushed for the ban during his time in office. Congress blocked the bill but it has been resurrected under President Biden and is quickly moving through Congress. Trump is now against the ban, asserting that it would give more power to Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook, who he considers an “enemy of the people.”
“The House will vote this week on the bipartisan Protecting Americans From Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act, under a special rule that waives discussion of the bill and requires a two-thirds majority to pass, according to House Majority Leader Steve Scalise’s (R-La.) weekly schedule released Monday,” Fox 59 reported.
“We must ensure the Chinese government cannot weaponize TikTok against American users and our government through data collection and propaganda,” Scalise proclaimed.

The bill is bipartisan and is supported by most in Congress.
“It advanced with rare unanimous support Thursday out of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, just two days after it was introduced by Reps. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.) and Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-Ill.), the top lawmakers on the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party,” Fox 59 wrote.
“The bill would force ByteDance, TikTok’s China-based parent company, to divest the app or face a ban within the U.S. The measure also lays out a process for banning other apps that are found to be controlled by U.S. adversaries,” the media outlet added.

Massie said on X Friday that he would not vote for the bill because it gives too much power to Biden.
“Next week, the House will vote to give Biden the power to decide which apps you can run on your phone, based on whether he deems them to be owned by a foreign adversary. I’ve never used TikTok, but I’m not voting to give the President new powers to ban it and other apps,” he declared.

House leadership is scheduled to vote on the measure Wednesday.

China is buying up all our land - Congress does nothing.

China is also buying land surrounded our military bases - Congress does nothing.

China released a virus onto the world - Congress does nothing.

China controls over 90% of Pharmaceutical drugs - Congress does nothing.

Everything you buy in the the United States says “made in China” - Congress does nothing.

Ask yourself, why does Congress, who has let China walk all over us for years, suddenly want to do something but only about a social media app.

If you have common sense, you’ll be able to answer this easily.

So a couple of things, and let me preface this by saying that I have not read the bill and have no intention of doing so.

- the bill does not ban TikTok, it simply states they have to divest from Chinese ownership in order to continue. This is problematic, bc I am sure that other countries like China will follow suit and start demanding that us owned apps have to divest to reach their market.

- Elon musks point does not make sense. He says the bill does not clearly identify “foreign control”, but the highlighted bill text that he retweeted clearly states that this applies to websites and apps owned by “foreign adversaries”. Makes you wonder if Elon is himself a foreign adversary.

- your tweets above state that trump was for the ban when he was president, but is against it now. According to kelly Anne Conway, she convinced Trump to change his mind after showing him that many his supporters use the app. In other words, he was fine with “censorship” of people that disagree with him, but not his own people.

- and lastly, your tweets all say this is the work of Biden and the deep state. Catturd tells us to use common sense. Well, for Biden to get this done, he had to convince Maga Mike Johnson to put the bill on the floor for a vote. Trump could not even get his own party to build a wall. The only conclusion from this in that Biden is a bad mutha****a.

Last edited:
I've heard compelling arguments on both sides of the TikTok ban, and i'm not entirely sure where i land on this topic yet.

I don't know if it will pass the Senate, but it's weird seeing typical adversaries in Congress team up together on the same side of this argument.

Reactions: yoshi121374
I've heard compelling arguments on both sides of the TikTok ban, and i'm not entirely sure where i land on this topic yet.

I don't know if it will pass the Senate, but it's weird seeing typical adversaries in Congress team up together on the same side of this argument.

I thought the same. Makes you wonder what they know about the app that we don't know? They are privy to Intelligence we aren't.

Last edited:
I thought the same. Makes you wonder what they know about the app that we don't know? They are pricy to Intelligence we aren't.
I think there's a lot of money flowing in to influence opinions on both sides tbqh. I agree with the dissenters in that there would be much better ways to regulate TikTok instead of an outright ban.

I think there's a lot of money flowing in to influence opinions on both sides tbqh. I agree with the dissenters in that there would be much better ways to regulate TikTok instead of an outright ban.
As @nytigerfan mentioned above, it's not an outright ban, at least not yet. The most likely outcome is that the Chinese owners divest and it keeps operating under someone else.

As @nytigerfan mentioned above, it's not an outright ban, at least not yet. The most likely outcome is that the Chinese owners divest and it keeps operating under someone else.

The Chinese have said up to this point that they won’t divest or sell, which makes you wonder why since someone is going to pay a shitload of money for it. Maybe they don’t want to lose their data collection / disinformation engine to influence and destroy our great nation?

This is also not the first time this has happened. The gov stepped in and forced China to divest from the favorite app of the two senators from SC, Grindr.

The Chinese have said up to this point that they won’t divest or sell, which makes you wonder why since someone is going to pay a shitload of money for it. Maybe they don’t want to lose their data collection / disinformation engine to influence and destroy our great nation?

This is also not the first time this has happened. The gov stepped in and forced China to divest from the favorite app of the two senators from SC, Grindr.
Yeah, I don’t take their words at face value lol.

I’m sensitive to the need to protect free speech. That’s not the question here. The government isn’t moving to censor people. You can say what you want on any number of other platforms.

On the other hand, the right to privacy ought to be protected too, and the issue is aggravated by the evil represented by the CCP

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t take their words at face value lol.

I’m sensitive to the need to protect free speech. That’s not the question here. The government isn’t moving to censure people. You can say what you want on any number of other platforms.

On the other hand, the right to privacy ought to be protected too, and the issue is aggravated by the evil represented by the CCP
TikTok is a massive cybersec vulnerability to US networks. MASSIVE.

I land on the side of “F* China” … it’s pretty much an all encompassing position and I believe it’s the correct one.

Reactions: purple2

We are in the middle of an Information War, that we are winning, and Republicans want to give Biden the power to label Elon/Trump as under “control of a foreign person or entity” (Putin/Russia).

Forcing them to sell Truth Social and X, just in time for the election.

This is the next election interference hoax, and Republicans are taking the bait; hook, line, and sinker.

Remember how all social media wrongfully censored the Hunter Biden Laptop story… And falsely claimed it was “Russian disinformation”… which altered public perception and the votes of millions of people…

They are desperately trying to regain this power, because if they don’t have it, they are going to lose.

Just like the MSM fool the Libs with “Russia, Russia, Russia”, all they have to do is cry “China” and dipshit Conservatives will gladly give away their own freedoms. Just sheep of a different flavor, falling for a different boogeyman.

We are in the middle of an Information War, that we are winning, and Republicans want to give Biden the power to label Elon/Trump as under “control of a foreign person or entity” (Putin/Russia).

This is the next election interference hoax, and Republicans are taking the bait; hook, line, and sinker.

Remember how all social media wrongfully censored the Hunter Biden Laptop story… And falsely claimed it was “Russian disinformation”… which altered public perception and the votes of millions of people…

They are desperately trying to regain this power, because if they don’t have it, they are going to lose.

Just like the MSM fool the Libs with “Russia, Russia, Russia”, all they have to do is cry “China” and dipshit Conservatives will gladly give away their own freedoms. Just sheep of a different flavor, falling for a different boogeyman.

Yeah, Bannon says your boy Trump has joined the Deep State. Shocker, Trump was bought off.

Reactions: dpic73

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT