ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

OldMTPTiger

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2008
Newberry, SC
Well, as many of you have seen. A yet-to-be arrested suspect (or suspects) is/are alleged to have murdered two members of the Murdaugh Family last night.

I have been told who was murdered, but I will let the proper people release those names at the proper time. Besides, there is always the chance my information is incorrect.

Spoiled rich kid crashes a boat drunk and kills a girl
Kid's family is well-connected and also partner at an influential law firm
Speculation is he would find a way out of the felony charges
Yesterday, he and his mother were murdered
Edited my post, i misread the article

Last edited:
From HH Island Packet...

Paul Murdaugh, mother found shot to death outside their Colleton Co. home, sources say​

Paul Murdaugh, a Hampton man who was charged in the 2019 boat crash that killed a young woman, and his mother were found dead of gunshot wounds Monday night outside their family’s home in Colleton County, numerous legal sources connected to the family and the investigation confirmed Tuesday.

The sources, who did not want to be identified because they are not authorized to disclose the information, said the bodies were found by Alex Murdaugh, husband of Maggie Murdaugh and father of Paul. He told authorities he had been out at the time of shooting and found them when he arrived at home.

One victim apparently had been shot with a shotgun; the other was killed with what appears to have been an assault rifle, the sources said.

State police are investigating the double homicide. The Murdaugh family, a prominent, well connected South Carolina family, are members of a storied law firm based in Hampton.

SLED agents responded to the scene after 10 p.m. Monday, and two victims were found shot, S.C. Law Enforcement Division spokesperson Tommy Crosby said Tuesday.

Crosby said he was not aware of anyone arrested or detained related to the crime but, based on the evidence, SLED does not believe there is a danger to the public.

A Murdaugh relative on the porch of a home near the crime scene, between Islandton and Moselle, said his family had recently received the news. “Now’s not a good time, as you can imagine,” he said.

Paul Murdaugh, 21, of Hampton, was facing three felony counts of boating under the influence. The charges are tied to a boat crash near Parris Island in February 2019 that killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach, also of Hampton, and injured others on board.

He pleaded not guilty to the charges in May 2019 and has not spent time in jail. There hadn’t been any movement on the criminal case since July 2019, when his bond was modified to allow him to travel.

The Murdaugh family is well known in South Carolina because several members held the elected position of solicitor for the 14th Judicial Circuit, which serves Beaufort, Hampton, Jasper, Allendale and Colleton counties, from 1920 until 2006. Two of the Murdaughs still work at the Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick law firm in Hampton.

The Murdaugh residence, known to locals as Moselle, is a hunting lodge on Moselle Road in Islandton. The address is on the border of Colleton and Hampton counties along the Salkehatchie River.

More than 1,770 acres of property are under Margaret B. Murdaugh’s name, according to Colleton County property records. The land spans both counties, with about 870 acres in Hampton and just less than 900 acres in Colleton. A 174-acre parcel on the Colleton side has two buildings, one one-story single family home and one two-story single family home.

Neither the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office nor the Colleton County coroner was able to provide additional details about the deaths or investigation Tuesday morning.

Spoiled rich kid crashes a boat drunk and kills a girl
Kid's family is well-connected and also partner at an influential law firm
Speculation is he would find a way out of the felony charges
Yesterday, he and his mother were murdered

It was the son and his mother. The father/husband discovered the bodies.

Kid is driving a boat drunk. Crashes and kills a girl. Wealthy powerful family appears to get their son out of trouble.
Now that kid and his mother are murdered.

giphy.gif

I've said it before, I'll say it again...I love it when people get what they deserve.

Correct, same as you and everyone else. After all, we are human.
Serious question, when you were 21 did you never do anything that could have gone bad and it put you in the same situation? Is it because he is rich he and his mother deserved to die for boating while intoxicated? If you are perfect, then throw those stones. I know there have been plenty of times I’ve been drinking or drunk and made stupid decisions that thankfully didn’t cause me to be in that kids situation. Maybe you think I should die for making those decisions.

Serious question, when you were 21 did you never do anything that could have gone bad and it put you in the same situation? Is it because he is rich he and his mother deserved to die for boating while intoxicated? If you are perfect, then throw those stones. I know there have been plenty of times I’ve been drinking or drunk and made stupid decisions that thankfully didn’t cause me to be in that kids situation. Maybe you think I should die for making those decisions.
If you read the articles about the incident you would see he was 19 at a bar throwing chairs and trying to fight employees and other customers. That happened immediately prior to them getting kicked out of the bar and him hopping behind the wheel of the boat. Also, the girl he is responsible for killing - he spit on and slapped her on the same boat ride her life was ended on.

I can guarantee you that wasn't the first time he behaved in that manner.

I don't have an issue thinking he got what he deserved... Certainly feel bad for the mom though. Horrible situation for everyone involved.

Also, the girl he is responsible for killing - he spit on and slapped her on the same boat ride her life was ended on.

I can guarantee you that wasn't the first time he behaved in that manner.
Not that it makes a lot of difference to anything, but the girl who died was not his girlfriend who he fought with that night.

From HH Island Packet...

Paul Murdaugh, mother found shot to death outside their Colleton Co. home, sources say​

Paul Murdaugh, a Hampton man who was charged in the 2019 boat crash that killed a young woman, and his mother were found dead of gunshot wounds Monday night outside their family’s home in Colleton County, numerous legal sources connected to the family and the investigation confirmed Tuesday.

The sources, who did not want to be identified because they are not authorized to disclose the information, said the bodies were found by Alex Murdaugh, husband of Maggie Murdaugh and father of Paul. He told authorities he had been out at the time of shooting and found them when he arrived at home.

One victim apparently had been shot with a shotgun; the other was killed with what appears to have been an assault rifle, the sources said.

State police are investigating the double homicide. The Murdaugh family, a prominent, well connected South Carolina family, are members of a storied law firm based in Hampton.

SLED agents responded to the scene after 10 p.m. Monday, and two victims were found shot, S.C. Law Enforcement Division spokesperson Tommy Crosby said Tuesday.

Crosby said he was not aware of anyone arrested or detained related to the crime but, based on the evidence, SLED does not believe there is a danger to the public.

A Murdaugh relative on the porch of a home near the crime scene, between Islandton and Moselle, said his family had recently received the news. “Now’s not a good time, as you can imagine,” he said.

Paul Murdaugh, 21, of Hampton, was facing three felony counts of boating under the influence. The charges are tied to a boat crash near Parris Island in February 2019 that killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach, also of Hampton, and injured others on board.

He pleaded not guilty to the charges in May 2019 and has not spent time in jail. There hadn’t been any movement on the criminal case since July 2019, when his bond was modified to allow him to travel.

The Murdaugh family is well known in South Carolina because several members held the elected position of solicitor for the 14th Judicial Circuit, which serves Beaufort, Hampton, Jasper, Allendale and Colleton counties, from 1920 until 2006. Two of the Murdaughs still work at the Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick law firm in Hampton.

The Murdaugh residence, known to locals as Moselle, is a hunting lodge on Moselle Road in Islandton. The address is on the border of Colleton and Hampton counties along the Salkehatchie River.

More than 1,770 acres of property are under Margaret B. Murdaugh’s name, according to Colleton County property records. The land spans both counties, with about 870 acres in Hampton and just less than 900 acres in Colleton. A 174-acre parcel on the Colleton side has two buildings, one one-story single family home and one two-story single family home.

Neither the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office nor the Colleton County coroner was able to provide additional details about the deaths or investigation Tuesday morning.
As a former semi-pro journalist, I take issue with this sentence:
"The Murdaugh family, a prominent, well connected South Carolina family, are members of a storied law firm based in Hampton."

Now, that paper has to define for eternity which families are prominent and which aren't and have to explain themselves if anyone asks why this other family isn't prominent.

ADVERTISEMENT