ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

That New York Post article about Alex and the gang “cowboys” was interesting. I wish Alex would write a true autobiography, that would be a great movie.

Reactions: TigerBo413
The beach house and supposedly Mozelle were in Maggie's name alone. This is typical to shield assets for spouses of lawyers/doctors in case they get sued. With Maggie out of the way then the assets would be in Alex's name and he would be free to sell or mortgage them to the hilt to get $$ to start covering his tracks financially. So to me, it does provide a motive for him to murder Maggie, especially if she was looking to divorce him and those big assets being in her name where he would have no rights to them.
I believe that Maggie was being sued as well for giving Paul a credit card to buy alcohol prior to the boat crash.

Maybe Tinsely will provide full details Monday.

Reactions: Cubigfoot
Let me help you out here …

Since his own law firm and his best friend testified to theft of their money by the defendant … the state of SC can charge other people suspected of involvement in those crimes aka <insert relevant name(s) here>
So Murdaughs law firm can admit that they were a victim of not knowing he had a fake account and they’re not charged with a crime but we can charge (insert other names here) because they knew Murdaugh? Makes sense.

So Murdaughs law firm can admit that they were a victim of not knowing he had a fake account and they’re not charged with a crime but we can charge (insert other names here) because they knew Murdaugh? Makes sense.
The firm might have insurance to cover theft/fraud

After listening to the testimony of the firm’s CFO, I can’t imagine the anger the partners would have for Alex. Not only did he cheat them on the front end but then they were forced to pay for what he stole. I’ve learned a few thing about lawyer world in this trial.

Nothing trial related really ,but in what world does a man get a middle name of Eddie and then choose to go by that, cousin Eddie if you will. Then Alex Murdaugh gets pronounced "Ellick Murdock" by witnesses? Get yore shit together low country.
The pronunciation thing has been blown out of proportion. I have cousins named Alexander, born and raised in SC...some from the upcountry.

They don't go by their full name.

Family refers to them closer to Alec than Ellick, but not with a true short A sound (at bat fat sat). Probably closer to Ellec than Alec...no family calls them Alex with a hard X...ironically I think his wife pronounces the hard X (along with short A) when she says his name. I believe @brohead pronounces his name with a hard X.

Alexander's mother probably is closer to an "Ellegzander" phonetic spelling than Alexander because she says it a lovely southern way. It's been that way for generations.

I cringe when I hear the hard X pronounced probably because it's the opposite of what his mom says and I love the way she says it.

But who cares?

My cousins don't seem to care how people say their name.

Why can't we all just get along?

The pronunciation thing has been blown out of proportion. I have cousins named Alexander, born and raised in SC...some from the upcountry.

They don't go by their full name.

Family refers to them closer to Alec than Ellick, but not with a true short A sound (at bat fat sat). Probably closer to Ellec than Alec...no family calls them Alex with a hard X...ironically I think his wife pronounces the hard X (along with short A) when she says his name. I believe @brohead pronounces his name with a hard X.

Alexander's mother probably is closer to an "Ellegzander" phonetic spelling than Alexander because she says it a lovely southern way. It's been that way for generations.

I cringe when I hear the hard X pronounced probably because it's the opposite of what his mom says and I love the way she says it.

But who cares?

My cousins don't seem to care how people say their name.

Why can't we all just get along?

I get it,and that it's regional but still it's buzzare. Any normal human sees Alex Murdaugh as Al-X Mur-Daw, not Ellick Murdock. K's life matter.

I am from SC. I have known other sandlappers with the given name Alexander who went by Alex. (as in Alex English from Columbia) I never heard of an Elick or an Alick until the odd fellow came to light.

And if a Murdaugh anywhere in America tried to insist his name was pronounced Murdock I think he would be met with a fair number of raised eyebrows and would often be written off as just ignorant.

Geez, if Paul had the facebook app installed…there is no telling what data is in the cloud. That app is evil.
Maybe that's what the Chinese weather balloon was doing over the USA, searching in the Facebook app. They already have remote capabilities in TikTok.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
I get it,and that it's regional but still it's buzzare. Any normal human sees Alex Murdaugh as Al-X Mur-Daw, not Ellick Murdock. K's life matter.
Regional pronunciation matters. In my state man's best friend, the dog, has been butchered by the Red(neck) & Black to "Dawg." If that's not bad enough, the people using that pronunciation bark at each other during football games trying to steal the voices of the noble dog because they have not learned proper English. 🙄

My grandfather was Arthur people called him Art over time most older folks called him Ott, he went by both.

I would believe that he had at least $500k to a million of life insurance on both Maggie and Paul. They get taken out, he's the beneficiary, and immediate and pressing money problem solved.
I'd be curious about this. Why would you have more than a few thousand of life insurance on a child? The kid doesn't have any debt to pay. Having some to cover funeral expenses is normal: say 10k to 30K. Beyond that, it shouldn't be needed.

And once you have a certain amount of wealth, you really don't need life insurance on yourself or spouse. If you are smart, you are close to debt free. I can understand some insurance to help with the "transition" by can't see having a big policy.

That's just me.

I'd be curious about this. Why would you have more than a few thousand of life insurance on a child? The kid doesn't have any debt to pay. Having some to cover funeral expenses is normal: say 10k to 30K. Beyond that, it shouldn't be needed.

And once you have a certain amount of wealth, you really don't need life insurance on yourself or spouse. If you are smart, you are close to debt free. I can understand some insurance to help with the "transition" by can't see having a big policy.

That's just me.

Buying life insurance on your kids at an early age is smart business. Not because you expect them to die but it is cheap and it can even be used as an investment vehicle. The rates for children are very inexpensive and can build cash value should you ever need it while they are alive.

This is not unusual

That's just me.
You're only factoring in funeral expenses. In addition to funeral expenses on a child, what if they are sick for a prolonged period? Paying medical bills for several years can drain your accounts. Then if they pass, the larger insurance policy can help replenish or pay some outstanding medical.

Reactions: nmerritt11
Sounds like judge just ruled that the financial related testimonies will be allowed for the jury to now hear. Big break in the trial for the state's case.

Reactions: BHSRebels89

That's just me.
With the right kind of Insurance, you borrow against it with a phone call.
Walmart, BOA....all the big boys do it.
Cheap money, easily accessible and crazy good returns are put back into policy tax free to continue to grow the cycle.

Not really about the Death Clause, though that is a 'nice' (hard to talk that way about death) bonus.

Sounds like judge just ruled that the financial related testimonies will be allowed for the jury to now hear. Big break in the trial for the state's case.
Hope Judge is right and this ruling doesn't create reversible error. I have no clue because my work is not conducive for full time armchair watcher (regrettably).

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
He made a thorough ruling and based it on both 404(b) and the res gestae of the offense. Defense requested a limiting instruction.
He ruled from the bench but will issue a written ruling later.

I'm old and from SC and Alex has been split about 50-50 on it being pronounced Alex vs Elick. More Elicks in the older, more rural group.

I have heard Murdaugh pronounced MUR-duk by a number of people from Hampton County.

I’ve even heard MURdik.

Several said ElleckMurdik all ran together.

Fascinating little culture in those counties. Reminds me of Northern Greenville county. Its own dialog in many regards by the generational locals.

Will they have to call all those witnesses to the stand and re ask the same questions again? I assume they can't just play the video for the jury.

Interesting that Mark Tinsley is testifying, more so the fact that he’s representing the dead girl’s family in the civil case. Several lawyer friends have pointed out how tight Tinsley and the Murdaughs are. Wonder if the family knew of his relationship with Alex ?

While I feel bad for this caretaker lady, she is a terrible witness for the prosecution.
So far, yes. Will be interesting to hear the audio of the defense questioning her in lead up to the trial. Apparently the prosecution wasn't privy to that evidence. They objected first to its admissibility, then didn't have it with them, then did have a flash drive, then a 57 page rough draft.

While I feel bad for this caretaker lady, she is a terrible witness for the prosecution.
Actually the info she gave is very good. No she’s not polished at all but I think the jury can relate to her love of the family but fear of Alex’s statements to her and seeming attempt to bribe her. Her reiteration of them being good people makes her info more credible bc it’s clear she was so uncomfortable “telling on” them.

She testified Alex doesn’t ever come visit mom at night, was only there 15-20 min but Alex later told her her was there 30-40 min. She saw him come in with a tarp-like material balled up in his arms and put it upstairs. She immediately called her POLICE CHIEF BROTHER right after Alex suggested to her that he was at the house 30-40 min the night of the crime. That call lends her account a lot of credibility bc she sensed he was using her as an alibi and wanting her to extend the time he was there.

Alex offering to pay for her wedding and get her a job at the school was clearly a bribe

The prosecutor who questioned her needs to retire. The state should have their best and brightest on this case and he clearly isn’t.

Will they have to call all those witnesses to the stand and re ask the same questions again? Yes
So they def will have to call each of those witnesses back in person and re ask the same questions. Got it. Thanks for the clarification Perry Mason.

ADVERTISEMENT