ADVERTISEMENT

2 games in and 2 completely different outcomes against 2 completely different teams

Dabofan

The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2010
So we are 2 games in what do we know so far.

Offensive Coordinator: Riley showed us what we could be and what many of expected when he was hired last night. Against UGA, I thought he called a safe game and didn't attack them enough like last night. He is starting to come into his own though in my opinion. I am seeing improvement with our QB's as well. The rest of this year could really start clicking from here on out. I wish we didn't have a bye before NC St. and that we were playing another game this weekend.

QB - Klubnik is GREATLY improved from last year and threw some great balls last night and was on. He completed 22 of 24 passes. He hasn't made any costly mistakes in either game. This kids confidence should be sky high going in the NC State game. NC ST. has given us problems the last few years but this year I think we will beat them soundly after what I have seen so far. Klubnik hasn't missed as many open receivers and has done a decent job checking out of plays so far. I for one didn't think he was the problem against UGA. I felt it was a lack of receivers getting open, dropping balls, bad penalties that killed drives, playing a #1 defense, etc. Vizzina looked solid against App yesterday and showed us that he can run a little bit as well. He looks like he is developing and getting better. Klubnik is clearly number 1 and Vizzina is 2.

RB - Mafah has been steady and done a decent job of picking up chunks of yards in between the tackles and showed a great burst of speed last night after he broke through the line. He will continue to get better and better as the year goes on. Haynes is clearly the number 2 guy now in my opinion and it isn't close. He makes quick cuts and gets north and south fast. He reminds me of some of our old Clemson rb's. I think he could have a big year spelling Mafah and is a nice change of pace back. EZ will take over the 3rd spot as well. Guy is chiseled for a freshman, and he runs hard. Adams will be demoted to the number 3 or 4 back because he has lacked performance in these first 2 games.

WR - After two games, we have seen a change a the top. Wesco and Moore have to be on the field now a lot going forward. They catch the ball in stride and know what to do with it when they got it. They are extremely dangerous and what Cade and this offense needs in the lineup. Williams has been solid in both games and is consistent. Turner played much better against App. Randall did better against App as well, but he still isn't what this offense needs and should be a depth guy not a starter. Brown hasn't provided anything yet and should be coming off the bench as well. Stellato has been somewhat non existent but did have a nice play or 2 against App. My top 4 right now that need to be on the field are Williams, Wesco, Moore and Turner with Stellato, Brown and Randle spelling them. The WR's still are terrible blockers on the outside screen game overall.

TE - Briningstool had a drop against UGA, and isn't a top blocker but he is a major problem for opposing teams especially with the emergence of Wesco and Moore. He should get more and more dangerous as the year goes on especially in single coverage. I do like Olsen Pat Henry more than Sapp, but both are solid backups. I think Olsen offers a little more fluidity and natural pass catching. Sapp is a big undersized but is an overachiever in my opinion.

Matt Luke and the OL - Wow two big tests up front and passed with flying colors now matter who was in the lineup. These guys have improved the most as a unit and I really look forward to seeing what Luke can get out of this group the rest of the year. I think it is only going to get better with them in terms of their pass blocking and run blocking. UGA got lucky to get us early in my opinion because I think we could be an offensive juggernaut by the end of the year. This entire group gets two thumbs up from me, so I am not going to talk about any individual players, but I am not concerned about them going forward this year.

Defensive Coordinator - Goodwin has been a mixed bag so far. We are playing way too soft in the backend especially against UGA. We aren't generating much pressure on the QB's, our TFL's are down. Our LB's are really playing down/worse than they did last year as a group in my opinion. I didn't see him make any adjustments in the 2nd half against UGA which was concerning. He had a great plan in the first half though. I have seen him call some solid games, but I am not so sure he is the answer for this team in the future. I hope we see more from him as the season goes forward. Last night our defense was solid until we put in the backups and then there was a serious drop off which is to be expected somewhat. Where are the LB/DB blitzes?

DE's/Rumph - To be honest, they have been ok but I expected Rumph to have these guys making a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage, holding the edges better. Woods has played his tail off so far. Parker has given a ton of effort but hasn't lived in the backfield like he did last year. Parker doesn't look as explosive this year. Haven't seen anything much yet from the Denhoff, Patterson, Lawson or Hoeffler. Rumph has a lot of coaching to do with these younger guys to get them ready to play. The problem I see is that I don't think we have very many difference maker DE's on our roster right now. The only TWO true DE's I see are Parker and Hoeffler. Woods is doing good, but out of position. I would like to see this position group get more pressure on the QB's going forward the rest of the season. We need some 3rd down DE pass rushers that can get to the QB. Wouldn't mind them giving Sammy Brown some opportunities on 3rd down from time to time.

DT's - These guys are all playing great in my opinion. I love what Page, Capehart, Williams, and Green have done so far. These guys are exactly what I expected. They will get better and better as a group as the season goes.

LB's - Goodwin so far isn't the guy to coach these guys. They are really not playing well, and I expect other teams to try and do what UGA did in the 2nd half and take advantage of our poor LB play, positioning, eyes, etc. Last year we were very solid at LB, but this year it seems to not be working even with our experienced guys. Carter has had two subpar games for him. This guy should be a difference maker in every game we play with his physical attributes. However, this hasn't been the case so far. Woodaz has played better, but he is still learning the position after playing a more hybrid/s position last year. We really need these guys to be rocks at the 2nd level. Good thing is we have a bye week and the rest of the season to really get these two guys dialed in. I would like to see them getting more blitz opportunities and utilize their speed to get to the QB. We aren't blitzing that much from what I can tell.

S's - Not sure what to say about these guys. Barnes and Griffin are having a little bit of a sophomore slump, so hoping our coaches can get these guys playing at a higher level the rest of the season. Mickens has been pretty solid to me. Venables looks to slow to play at this level again. Covil showed a little something against App so I would like to see him mixed in more going forward. Hoping Ricard Jones can come into his own this season because he could be a difference maker. Basically, we have enough dudes we just need them to step up. Some of them experienced to much success the 1st year and now they need a kick in the pants.

CB's - I love Terrell. He is doing great. Lukus hasn't shown that he is the long term answer. He had an ok game against UGA, but his alignment was off quite a bit. He needs to get some confidence and start playing like a 5 star player ball hawk instead of a passive player. Lewis should've had at least 1 pick last night. So far, he seems like our best answer on the other side of Terrell right now but he has the huge knee brace and teams will really keep trying to pick on him. Hoping he can get to 100% in the bye week before NC ST. Hampton didn't play a great game yesterday, but wasn't terrible either. We need him to grow up fast. Really hoping the light comes on quickly for him, Gipson or Feagins to play alongside Terrell and give us similar production.

K's - Hauser has done ok so far. He will be needed at some point, so hoping he can get things locked in. Gunn was booming kickoffs against UGA, but not so much against App. He has been ok. Swanson has been solid at Punter so far.

KR - Haynes seems like more of the answer to kick returns than Mafah. I would like to see our coaches give him the job going forward and see what he can do.

PR - Williams minus the questionable fumble seems to be the answer there. He has potential to break one at any time.

Reactions: Creamjunior
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.