ADVERTISEMENT

2023 -- 3 Down DL

yoseftiger

The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
I posted about this in another thread, but can anyone explain the recurrent fascination with moving to three down linemen next year?

I'm aware that if everyone that could depart due to eligibility/NFL aspirations does, that we'll be thin and inexperienced at end. Due to that, I keep seeing posters suggest that we move to a three down look. Does that not seem like the exact opposite of what we need?

Last time we went three down as a base, we did so because we were short on quality and experienced tackles. We have the exact opposite situation facing us next year.

The situation we are looking at on the line next year is much more reminiscent of 2015 than it is of 2019, imho.

Let's assume that XT and Bresee come back and we move to a base three-down linemen, we would still be looking at a situation of starting XT, a DT, Bresee at 3 Tech/End thereby removing one of our most talented and deepest positions from the field by going three down. When Bresee needs a break on the sideline, who would then fill that role in a three down front? Maybe Capehart or Peter Woods, possibly Vic Burley?

Would it not be much more beneficial, assuming we get XT and Bresee back (plus, fingers crossed, a portal End), to start XT, 2 DTs, and Bresee playing a CW42 role? It just seems to me like going 3 down would highlight our deficiencies even more.

I may be totally off base on that. I just keep seeing the idea come up and I feel like it goes totally counter to the strengths that we know we'll have on hand and highlight much more where we are more inexperienced and not as ready.

Reactions: Tiger30531
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News