ADVERTISEMENT

5th Grade Graduation

when did 5th grade graduation become a big thing? I see it all over social media this week. Props for being done with elementary school but we don’t need to celebrate it too much.
I’ve now been to pre k, kindergarten, 5th and 8th grade graduations in the last 4 years. Ridiculous. Parents were buying presents for it.

Jostens was the name of the company that did all of the high school graduation stuff 30 years ago. I don’t know if it was originally their idea, when it started or if they just push it really hard now but they are making way more money.

It’s kinda like a ‘Hallmark Holiday’ but not Hallmark.

Reactions: firegiver
Getting to continue to the next grade with all your friends and classmates was prize enough when I was younger. And I’m technically a millennial as I’m 35 haha. When did this process start?

Reactions: cyclotiger
when did 5th grade graduation become a big thing? I see it all over social media this week. Props for being done with elementary school but we don’t need to celebrate it too much.
My school did it. I'm only 31. We also did 8th and 12th. When you left a school you "graduated". We did not have pre-K or K graduation.

We were thinking of heading out of town this weekend, but then realized that my daughter has a pre-k graduation on Saturday morning at her school.

Not sure if this has always been the case down here in Mexico, or if - like so many other things - they are taking a cue from the folks up north in the U.S.

We were thinking of heading out of town this weekend, but then realized that my daughter has a pre-k graduation on Saturday morning at her school.

Not sure if this has always been the case down here in Mexico, or if - like so many other things - they are taking a cue from the folks up north in the U.S.
Don’t skip a trip for that.

I'm guessing it's because a lot of schools start "middle school" in the 6th grade or something.

My school did it. I'm 36. It was basically an assembly on one of the last days of school.

This was in a district where 6th was a new school.

Just had my daughter go through it. I was sitting there watching people act like their kid just completed undergrad at Harvard. I had NO idea this was the deal.

Lots of women staying at home to take care of the kids who are looking at social media and using it to talk about their kids. That's probably why we're hearing more about it now.

I don't really remember whether we had a 6th grade graduation or not (middle school didn't start until 7th grade in Virginia).

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
Lots of women staying at home to take care of the kids who are looking at social media and using it to talk about their kids. That's probably why we're hearing more about it now.

I don't really remember whether we had a 6th grade graduation or not (middle school didn't start until 7th grade in Virginia).
Hammer meet nail. The tennis moms who are always stressed out make me laugh.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
In a month I will graduate from my 14th year working for the same company. Should I throw a party?

Agree 100% . My kids just "graduated" 8th grade and had their 8th grade dance. These mothers spent more money on getting the girls and boys fixed up than I got all of high school.

Reactions: cyclotiger
1. Nothing wrong with celebrating an accomplishment (which is different than an achievement)

2. The same generation complaining about this is the same generation that will go to CVS to by gift cards to send to their grandchild who's been captured by the Nigerian FBI. Also, quit how to post a pic on TI.

3. Who raised the parents give out 'all these awards".

4. We dance and celebrated after beating D 1AA schools every single year and you love it.

1. Nothing wrong with celebrating an accomplishment (which is different than an achievement)

2. The same generation complaining about this is the same generation that will go to CVS to by gift cards to send to their grandchild who's been captured by the Nigerian FBI. Also, quit how to post a pic on TI.

4. We dance and celebrated after beating D 1AA schools every single year and you love it.
Do you have kids? The entitlement attitude is real. It's a battle to keep my teenager away from it.

True or False: Your kid's soccer league does not keep score at games.

I vote true

We had one when I did it back in 1995. Sang Lean on Me on the cafeteria stage. No idea why I remember this.

Dang. I consider myself fairly cynical... but I actually enjoyed watching 5th grade graduation today and understood it as the final time their teacher would give them a hug along with recognition for getting All A's, civic service (beta club), perfect attendance, and (gasp) reciting the pledge of allegiance in public.

Being Gen-X, I appreciate the snowflake blow-back and all to i-Gen kids, but on the other hand baby boomer ethics as a whole will never dominate my parenting decisions.

Baby B's WW2 John Wayne ethos parents were the greatest heroes of the 20th century, but they didn't do wonders for their kids as a generation from a parenting perspective, and ended up creating hippies and yuppies anyways.

Life goes by in the blink of an eye. My oldest girl just graduated kindergarten. In two years my youngest girl will hopefully graduate kindergarten. Three years ago I didn't know if my youngest would make it to preschool. Perspective is a hell of a thing. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. I say enjoy your kids and enjoy the limited time we have with them. JMHO

Reactions: Shevlin77
Just wasted 2 hours of my life sitting thru 5th grade awards day:(. They recognized every kid that participated in every club.

Not sure which was worse for my 9 year old's awards day - the fact that they gave an award for doing well in PE, or that he didn't get one......

Reactions: TooterTownTiger
The posts saying “so proud of ______ for graduating k5”.

I didn’t know they held them back when all they do is color. Btw my daughter just graduated 5k

Went to our (only) kid's 8th grade graduation yesterday morning. He says to me afterwards, "Hey Dad, you know those parents that went nuts when their kid's names were called?" I said, "Yeah". He says, "When you and mom just clapped; Is that what you mean when you say the minimum standard for me is 'above average' because it just isn't that difficult to be above average?". I just smiled. He laughed.

I had a kindergarten-5 (private, there were no public ones then) graduation in 1960. Cardboard graduation caps and paper gowns.
I never had another until 1972 after the 12th grade.
I remember the big suspense every year was just finding out who advanced and who repeated the grade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT