ADVERTISEMENT

Add another item to the transgender issue....prison

santee

Woodrush
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
BOSTON, Nov 15 (Reuters) - A transgender woman on Wednesday sued the Massachusetts prison system, saying it is violating her civil rights by housing her in a facility for male prisoners, where lawyers contend she is routinely harassed by fellow inmates and prison staff.

The 53-year-old woman, whose name is not disclosed in the lawsuit filed in Boston federal court, contends the state Department of Corrections is violating her rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act by refusing to house her with women and subjecting her to strip searches by male guards.

The suit, which advocates believe is the first of its kind filed in the state, asks the prisons system to transfer the woman to a women's prison in Framingham, rather than the men's facility in Norfolk where she is housed. It also asks the court to order prison officials to address her as a woman and allow only female guards to strip-search her.

BOSTON, Nov 15 (Reuters) - A transgender woman on Wednesday sued the Massachusetts prison system, saying it is violating her civil rights by housing her in a facility for male prisoners, where lawyers contend she is routinely harassed by fellow inmates and prison staff.

The 53-year-old woman, whose name is not disclosed in the lawsuit filed in Boston federal court, contends the state Department of Corrections is violating her rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act by refusing to house her with women and subjecting her to strip searches by male guards.

The suit, which advocates believe is the first of its kind filed in the state, asks the prisons system to transfer the woman to a women's prison in Framingham, rather than the men's facility in Norfolk where she is housed. It also asks the court to order prison officials to address her as a woman and allow only female guards to strip-search her.

This has always been a part of the concern on how to deal with transgender and gender identification. Governments, and the private sector for that matter, have yet to figure out what to do. Yet some people just want to flip a switch and change things overnight. I want everyone treated fairly, but I think before we go and change a bunch of laws we have to consider how it will impact every facet of our society including those that are incarcerated.

.3% of the US population really has some of you in an uproar.

Confused!?! If you have male plumbing then you go to male prison....however if you have female plumbing then you go to a female prison. Hummmm...how's that confusing?

Well. This is something to consider if anyone ever snaps and commits Road Rage murder and is sentenced to life in Prison. I would get a sex change to be in the womens prison for the rest of my natural life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT