ADVERTISEMENT

Ammunition Shortage and email from major supplier

tigergrad03

The Mariana Trench
Feb 1, 2004
This is from the owner of SG Ammo

I have no solid ETA I can give. Supply has gone so dry and demand has gone so high I do not expect in-stock standing inventory for months to come, things will come and go as we receive and sell shipments but it will sell out so fast that it may appear to always be sold out unless you are proactive in getting notified and responsive to those notifications for what comes in. It will take years to get the inventory back to where it was in 2019 even if the rush ended today and thats not happening any time soon either. for items of interest I recommend to use 'notify..' button next to the price to click to sign up for text or email notification and to act quickly when you get the message

Thank you

Sam
SGAmmo

Local gun shop has until recently had .223/5.56 on the shelf with a max quantity of two boxes. So I'd stop by 1-2x a week and pick up a couple of boxes. A bit overpriced ($10.50 for 20 rounds of brass case) but the spend wasn't so much that I couldn't live with it. Last time they had Tula steel case for $7.50/20 rounds.

This week they were completely out of everything but hunting stuff.

One great thing about my pistol being a .40 is I can still find a little ammo for it.

Crazy dry spells. The worst in history.

You can still find decent Ammo in non popular calibers (which are 556/223, 9MM, etc). I would consider buying a different caliber based off of availability if you can.

The shortage isn’t going to stop for a long, long time, IMO.

Crazy dry spells. The worst in history.

You can still find decent Ammo in non popular calibers (which are 556/223, 9MM, etc). I would consider buying a different caliber based off of availability if you can.

The shortage isn’t going to stop for a long, long time, IMO.

Agreed! If you are looking for a rifle I would suggest 30-06, .243 and .270. That ammunition seems to be staying in stock everywhere I go.

Just took a CWP class last weekend. Asked the guy how often he does the classes. He said he has gone from his usual 1-2 per month to now doing 3-4 per week. CRAZY!

Sam at SG Ammo has been in business for a long time. I’ve always bought all of my ammo from him. Many times thousands of rounds at a time. Delivered right to the front door.

In the past he would have millions of rounds of 5.56 / .223 in stock. Every kind you could think of. same for 9mm, 45 ACP etc.

Now he’s saying it won’t be the same for years. If you’re looking for a certain type use his notification method and you’ll get an email as soon as it comes in. But buy it immediately because it will be gone literally in minutes.

Strange times indeed. I’m not sure we will ever see the quantity and pricing we had in December and January.

Reactions: GWOODTIGER81
Just took a CWP class last weekend. Asked the guy how often he does the classes. He said he has gone from his usual 1-2 per month to now doing 3-4 per week. CRAZY!
Yea my daughter is waiting for hers to come now. The issue may literally become no one has ammo to take the class outside of maybe .22.

From what I can tell .22 is still available. I think I’m gonna make an extremely large purchase.

I got 1K rounds of .45 ammo and 2 cases of 12 gauge shotgun shells. The beauty of the .45 is that if I hit them, they are dropping. That'll be enough to protect until I can get out of Atlanta if I need to.

Reactions: Clemtron
We are delivering full trailers of bullets almost daily to Academy Sports DC. Same with Bass Pro.

hopefully people continue to waste money on not needed bullets. This demand is really helping me out.

Bullets, or ammunition? There's a difference.

Local gun shop advised me to build an upper for my AR in 7.62x39. Ammo is still available and cheap. I might look into it.

Member when obammer was going to get rid of our guns? Gun shows were very entertaining to go to during that time. Massive shortages on ammo then as well. I think I'm good with my shotguns. I do want to buy a rifle so some good advice in here thanks. Any recommendations on a .3006?

Getting ready for the upcoming Civil War 2?

I really hope not but I think some people are.

But mostly now people are trying to just find anything.

Actually there have been a LOT of guns sold lately. Sales are up by over 130%. Covid, civil unrest, lack of trust in the police - it's a perfect storm for gun sales.

Go to any decent-sized local gun store and look in their cabinet. They will be a lot lower on inventory than normal. Some stores are calling other stores and paying full MSRP for guns, to re-sell at jacked-up prices. It's a seller's market for sure.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
This is from the owner of SG Ammo

I have no solid ETA I can give. Supply has gone so dry and demand has gone so high I do not expect in-stock standing inventory for months to come, things will come and go as we receive and sell shipments but it will sell out so fast that it may appear to always be sold out unless you are proactive in getting notified and responsive to those notifications for what comes in. It will take years to get the inventory back to where it was in 2019 even if the rush ended today and thats not happening any time soon either. for items of interest I recommend to use 'notify..' button next to the price to click to sign up for text or email notification and to act quickly when you get the message

Thank you

Sam
SGAmmo

Aren't we sure this is the NWOs doing? Or can we blame Obama for this?

Member when obammer was going to get rid of our guns? Gun shows were very entertaining to go to during that time. Massive shortages on ammo then as well. I think I'm good with my shotguns. I do want to buy a rifle so some good advice in here thanks. Any recommendations on a .3006?

This is much worse than anything during the Obama years. That was driven by the concept that guns may become illegal (which Obama never really tried to do as I recall, or had any success with anyway).

Now we have a potential ban coming if Harris....er Biden wins, PLUS civil unrest, PLUS covid.......it's a real mess.

Reactions: Trading Tiger
We are delivering full trailers of bullets almost daily to Academy Sports DC. Same with Bass Pro.

hopefully people continue to waste money on not needed bullets. This demand is really helping me out.

Enjoying the free market profits not good enough for you @Casa_del_Tigre .
BTW who are you to tell anyone if they "need" ammunition. Chode on.

Ruger American Rifle is the absolute best bang for the buck. Sub MOA out to 100 meters (even better than most bigger budget brands).

I’ve got a question for some of you knowledgeable guns guys on here. I bought an already built AR from Palmetto several years ago. How hard would it be to change over from the 2.23-5.56 to the 7.62 39 mm? Would changing the upper only work or is it more complicated than that? I know a little abt guns but not an expert. Also would this be cost effective?

This is much worse than anything during the Obama years. That was driven by the concept that guns may become illegal (which Obama never really tried to do as I recall, or had any success with anyway).

Now we have a potential ban coming if Harris....er Biden wins, PLUS civil unrest, PLUS covid.......it's a real mess.

Firearms are not going to be banned. People need to give that a rest.

I’ve got a question for some of you knowledgeable guns guys on here. I bought an already built AR from Palmetto several years ago. How hard would it be to change over from the 2.23-5.56 to the 7.62 39 mm? Would changing the upper only work or is it more complicated than that? I know a little abt guns but not an expert. Also would this be cost effective?

The lower receiver is the same for both 5.56 (.223) & 7.62x39. You will need a complete upper & new magazines.

That's one of the nice things about the AR - pull 2 pins & swap the upper, you have a whole new gun.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan

“Crazy People” that bought extra masks, gloves and hand sanitizer the past couple years must have been buying not needed stuff too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT