ADVERTISEMENT

Ammunition Shortage and email from major supplier

We are delivering full trailers of bullets almost daily to Academy Sports DC. Same with Bass Pro.

hopefully people continue to waste money on not needed bullets. This demand is really helping me out.
Having plenty of guns and ammo is gonna help me out too! Keep up the good work sir!

Works with AR-15 platform lower NOT an AR-10. Do not get it confused with 7.62x51 (.308).

So, exact same Lower as your 556 except you will likely need a new Buffer (heavier). You will need a new Upper (including a Bolt Carrier Group). I would get an adjustable gas block but that’s just me.

You’ll also need new Magazines.

You do NOT need a new Lower. You only need a different Buffer and it’s not 100% required. Just depends.

The Mags are AR-15 7.62x39 mags designed to go into a MilSpec Lower. You might be thinking of regular AK Mags, which will not work with an AR-15 Lower.

6.5 Creedmoor is AR-10 Lower ONLY.

6.5 Grendel is an AR-15 Lower.

300 AAC/Blackout is AR-15 as well and you can use the exact same Magazines (tho I would recommend altering how they feel in your hand so you know the difference...for example wrap them in duct tape, etc...or Magpul makes some that feel different). You’ll have a very bad day if you fire a 300 AAC round into a 556 Barrel.

- - -

You will have feed problems with AK Mags and an AR-15 Lower. It will not feed/cycle. You have to use AR-15 Magazines that are designed for 7.62 x 39.
I would go with 7.62x35 blackout or 7.62x51 before 7.62x39. The ammunition selection is way better on both the former. FMJ and HP Russian made is 90% of the ammunition market on the Russian round. And what advantage does it provide besides cheaper ammo? Ballistically I’ll take the AR-10. I have one with 25 round Magpul mags. Nothing can top a 308 with that kind of firepower

That's good to know. I have a 30-06. How about 45 ammo? I need to go get some ammo in case we go living dead style like areeves thinks.
45 still goes pretty quick. I’ve seen more .40 and .357 Sig

I would go with 7.62x35 blackout or 7.62x51 before 7.62x39. The ammunition selection is way better on both the former. FMJ and HP Russian made is 90% of the ammunition market on the Russian round. And what advantage does it provide besides cheaper ammo? Ballistically I’ll take the AR-10. I have one with 25 round Magpul mags. Nothing can top a 308 with that kind of firepower

Bro 300 AAC is about the single most difficult round to find right now as most manufacturers have switched it out for 556. That said, yes it’s 100% preferable to x39 as a platform. Mainly, IMO, bc it’s specifically designed to Seamlessly correlate with the AR15 (same Mags).

AR-10 vs 15 is just a totally different animal. Ballistically, it completely depends on what you want to do w the gun and what you’re referring to (velocity, energy, range, weight, etc etc). Our specific context was about Ammo availability/cost. 7.62x39 is going to be far and away the safest bet, as of today, in that realm.

Again, just all depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. If you want a longer range weapon, sure go w the AR-10, go with 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
Bullets, or ammunition? There's a difference.

Local gun shop advised me to build an upper for my AR in 7.62x39. Ammo is still available and cheap. I might look into it.

Built my first last week. Pistol in 5.56. Will be doing another and will consider this.

Reactions: GWOODTIGER81
Local gun shop has until recently had .223/5.56 on the shelf with a max quantity of two boxes. So I'd stop by 1-2x a week and pick up a couple of boxes. A bit overpriced ($10.50 for 20 rounds of brass case) but the spend wasn't so much that I couldn't live with it. Last time they had Tula steel case for $7.50/20 rounds.

This week they were completely out of everything but hunting stuff.

One great thing about my pistol being a .40 is I can still find a little ammo for it.

I’ve got a .40 as well and was told they are all but stopping production of that caliber. Buy that shit!

Bro 300 AAC is about the single most difficult round to find right now as most manufacturers have switched it out for 556. That said, yes it’s 100% preferable to x39 as a platform. Totally.

AR-10 vs 15 is just a totally different animal. Ballistically, it completely depends on what you want to do w the gun and what you’re referring to (velocity, energy, range, weight, etc etc). Our specific context was about Ammo availability/cost. 7.62x39 is going to be far and away the safest bet, as of today, in that realm.

Again, just all depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. If you want a longer range weapon, sure go w the AR-10, go with 6.5 Creedmoor.
Yea x39 is by far the most cost effective.

During the Obama years I spent thousands on ammo and ended up with a nice stock pile. A guy on sc ducks can't even find shells for his labor day Dove hunt!

I kindly helped him out with 2 cases of # 8's at the current market valve.
Found out ammo is a profitable investment

During the Obama years I spent thousands on ammo and ended up with a nice stock pile. A guy on sc ducks can't even find shells for his labor day Dove hunt!

I kindly helped him out with 2 cases of # 8's at the current market valve.
Found out ammo is a profitable investment

Yep, did the same. I just happened to do it at the right time. Didn't have anything to do with Obama though.

Reactions: tigergrad03
Bro 300 AAC is about the single most difficult round to find right now as most manufacturers have switched it out for 556. That said, yes it’s 100% preferable to x39 as a platform. Totally.

It is an AR15 that I have and my reasoning was this. I’ve got an SKS 7.62 39mm that I’ve got an ass of ammo for but when I got the AR15 I bought some ammo but not enough for my liking. So buy more 5.56 ammo at a higher price or if practical cost wise switch the AR over to 7.62. With the 7.62 ammo now being relatively cheap and plentiful. Plus I like the better knock down power of the 7.62.
Thoughts @clemsonu0219

Reactions: clemsonu0219
It is an AR15 that I have and my reasoning was this. I’ve got an SKS 7.62 39mm that I’ve got an ass of ammo for but when I got the AR15 I bought some ammo but not enough for my liking. So buy more 5.56 ammo at a higher price or if practical cost wise switch the AR over to 7.62. With the 7.62 ammo now being relatively cheap and plentiful. Plus I like the better knock down power of the 7.62.
Thoughts @clemsonu0219

Yes I would say that was a smart decision. Remember you will have to acquire different Magazines but that should not be difficult at all.

There is a lot of nuancing necessary when considering elements of ballistics and terminal ballistics with 7.62x39 versus 556.

That said, if I have to choose which to get shot with, I’m going to choose 556, in all likelihood. Ammo is a huge deal, however, 77 grain 556 is a deadly little bullet that seems to fly forever.

There’s just a lot of trade off...velocity is higher with 556, tho it’s not like it’s unbelievably higher. Ballistic Coeffecient (the efficiency of bullet flight) is close with both. None of this matters much until about 300 yards where the flight patterns of 556 generally outperform.

Point here is ballistics and terminal ballistics is complex and situationally dependent.

But, I would say you should feel confident in your decision. Given your SKS situation, I likely would’ve done the same.

People will give it a rest as soon as the libtards stop talking about it. Democrats are responsible for more gun sales than any Republican could ever dream of.

so true

their policies of completely changing our system of government is scaring alot of people.

plus the ones who have been here for generations have sentimental attachment to our system of government

its hard to watch when someone who has been an american for less than half my life start telling me what america should look like

we are living in crazy times

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
About 60% of the military will be on our side. The bad news is most of the high ranking officials in our military will be on the other side. This is due to the Litmus Test Obama gave to our high ranking officers when he was in office. “Would You Fire On An American Citizen?” If they said, “NO” they were given a pink slip.
This is just complete bullshit

Yes. It’s a mess. I stocked up for years on every caliber I own. Some of which I have over 10,000 rounds of premium hollow point ammo for. I would like some plinking ammo, but that will have to wait
Dude, just stop. Don’t advertise what you’ve got. You’re just making it easier for someone to make a target out of you.

Reactions: m_l_murphy
You can swap the upper and go to a 7.62x39 but cannot swap 5.56 to 7.62x51 (.308). You can with 5.56 to .300 BO and I believe to 6.5 as well.

It has been a while since I looked into this but I believe there were fees problems bc the 7.62x39 didn’t fit into a traditional AR magazine and feed angle caused problems. Could be old thought though.
You are correct about the feed problems.

i have a glock in .40. Why are they stopping? I heard that too. It’s just not a popular caliber anymore?

That’s what I was told. They are allocating production capacity to more popular calibers. 9mm for example. Sportsman’s Warehouse here in Irmo had plenty of .40 ammo today.

I’ve got a .40 as well and was told they are all but stopping production of that caliber. Buy that shit!
Only true if they shift those resources to 9mm. The .40 is still a very viable caliber and is far from dead.

Not exactly what you said but the point remains.

Only true if they shift those resources to 9mm. The .40 is still a very viable caliber and is far from dead.

Not exactly what you said but the point remains.
9mm is my main carry but the glock is my preference. Packs a punch. I carry it in the winter

I’d love a 7.62 x 39 ar15 upper. Would be a buyer if there were any in stock anywhere lol

Any idea of the cost if you know? This is what I’m looking at trying.

Y’all want complete Uppers? Already assembled?

Also, what are your purposes? Asking because what you want to use it for changes barrel length recommendations, hand guard, etc.

I have supersonic and subsonic. I never got a lot of it but I have some. How much are you looking for?

Note: everything I have is premium ammo. Mostly Hornady 110 grain V-Max and Hornady 220 grain subsonic for use with suppressor

This is much worse than anything during the Obama years. That was driven by the concept that guns may become illegal (which Obama never really tried to do as I recall, or had any success with anyway).

Now we have a potential ban coming if Harris....er Biden wins, PLUS civil unrest, PLUS covid.......it's a real mess.

LOLOL guns will never be banned. People thought the same when Obama was elected and I couldn’t buy 9mm ammo for a year. Guess what? Obama did nothing to restrict gun ownership and neither will whoever gets elected in Nov.

However, the do have 3000-4000 rounds now so I won’t need to buy for a long while.

LOLOL guns will never be banned. People thought the same when Obama was elected and I couldn’t buy 9mm ammo for a year. Guess what? Obama did nothing to restrict gun ownership and neither will whoever gets elected in Nov.

However, the do have 3000-4000 rounds now so I won’t need to buy for a long while.
They’ll be an International Gun Registration which will lead to Gun Confiscation if Biden is elected. This Election is different because of the Beast/Antichrist Pope being in power. That’s the difference. He’s the 112th & Final Pope based on Saint Malachi’s Prophecy, which, by the way, was hidden away in the Vatican Archives for over 900 years.

Reactions: tigergrad03
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT