* * * * * AUGUST CAMP: Sunday Afternoon Nuggets * * * * *

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com
AUGUST CAMP: Sunday Afternoon Nuggets
By: Larry Williams & Paul Strelow

One thing Paul caught in the opening practice got our attention.

Paul noticed Barrett Carter, halfway through the individual period, being sent to work with Mickey Conn and the safeties.

While not exactly a surprise, it's still intriguing on a number of levels.

We plan to write a lot about the versatility of this defense over the next few weeks, and probably for much of the season, because there's an extraordinarily high number of guys at all three levels who are capable of moving around.

11p2.jpg
Sophomore linebacker and former five-star recruit Barrett Carter. (Jessica Gallagher - US Presswire)

Let's just put it this way: It's quite a luxury when a stud safety (Andrew Mukuba) can line up at corner in a heartbeat and more than hold his own against the other team's ace receiver, and when your powerful SAM backer can also go to the back end and roam.

Clemson fans of course are well versed in that second scenario because of the 2018 and 2019 masterpiece that was Isaiah Simmons.

While Carter bouncing between the second and third level brings sizzle, you also wonder how much Lannden Zanders' absence might bring Sherrod Covil further into the depth fold at safety.

As we've stated, Conn has no shortage of options. And Tyler Venables' decision to remain at Clemson instead of going to Oklahoma feels bigger now in light of Zanders' retirement.

Covil made a big impression on Conn and others after enrolling early and showing things they didn't know about him during the spring -- or at least qualities they thought would take more time to develop.

"His physicality was probably the biggest thing that stood out initially," Conn said. "He's a really good tackler, and he loves to hit. And I love that in our safeties.

"The thing that surprised me when he got here in the spring was how well he could cover. He was faster and quicker, and his technique and skill level was better than I thought it was going to be coming in as a freshman. I knew it was there, but he was already skilled at it.

"So that was the biggest thing: He can cover. Not only could he hit, which is why I recruited him. But you get a guy that can come in and play man-to-man and cover speed? That's a big deal." -- LARRY WILLIAMS

Let's be clear: It was a sad and disappointing development for Zanders to feel he needed to call it a career. Under no circumstances am I painting the picture otherwise.

But here's hoping the consequence does mean that Covil is brought along a little faster, and that we see what he's got sooner.

The Tigers now have four veteran safeties on the depth chart: Mukuba, Jalyn Phillips, R.J. Mickens and Venables. Odds would favor those four sharing the bulk of the snaps, with plenty to go around considering the frequency with which Clemson carries three on the field. Malcolm Greene possesses enough experience at the nickel that he could count as another based on the sub package, too.

Yet we've believed Covil was a freshman the coaches would feel they can't nor would want to sit this season, likely translating into some special teams duties as well as mop-up snaps.

Two things jump out about Covil when you see him in-person.

11.jpg
Clemson defensive back and former four-star recruit Sherrod Covil looks on during Friday's opening practice. (Tigerillustrated.com)

One is that he looks so small -- as in not that tall, and slight of stature for this level.

We'd contend there's some accuracy to that relatively, while college football has also shifted to smaller safeties because of the corresponding ability to cover and change direction compared to taller, longer body types.

The other thing about Covil is that he makes a lot of plays and is always around the ball. He's instinctive and he packs a punch when he gets there, as Conn alluded.

We often mention that the Tigers don't put a premium on upside athletes in safety recruiting. They're looking for guys who can see it and have a track record for productivity.

Covil matches that description to a tee, and it will be interesting if -- a la Mukuba -- that puts him on the fast track to pertinent playing time. -- PAUL STRELOW

NEW: Nike
Icon Coaches 2022 Early Season Performance Polo HERE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.