ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Joe Biden’s DOJ Opens Investigation Into President Trump

TigerGrowls

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
We knew this was coming and we also without a doubt know that no crimes were committed by President Trump. This is all about 24 and the relentless war by the deep state to destroy Trump. Its that simple. The fact that they have no case at all doesn't matter at all to them. The intensity, and duration of the attack on Trump going back to 2016 shows that Trump is an outsider and is a very strong and legitimate threat to the status quo controllers of this nation. Trump is the peoples champion.

By Cristina Laila
Published July 26, 2022 at 6:28pm
zjq92-600x400-1.jpg

The Biden Justice Department has opened an investigation into Trump’s actions to ‘overturn the 2020 election results.’
The Biden Regime is jailing its political opponents and now investigating a former US President.
Meanwhile, the Republican party is silent.
According to The Washington Post, DOJ prosecutors are probing “conversations with Trump, his lawyers, and others in his inner circle who sought to substitute Trump allies for certified electors from some states Joe Biden won.”
TRENDING: MUST SEE: Biden's Behavior Abruptly Changes in Spliced Video Speech Released by The White House; From Sleepy-Eyed to Bug-Eyed and Not Blinking
The Washington Post reported (emphasis ours):
The Justice Department is investigating President Donald Trump’s actions as part of its criminal probe of efforts to overturn the 2020 election results, according to four people familiar with the matter.
Prosecutors who are questioning witnesses before a grand jury — including two top aides to Vice President Mike Pence — have asked in recent days about conversations with Trump, his lawyers, and others in his inner circle who sought to substitute Trump allies for certified electors from some states Joe Biden won, according to two people familiar with the matter. Both spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.
The prosecutors have asked hours of detailed questions about meetings Trump led in December 2020 and January 2021; his pressure campaign on Pence to overturn the election; and what instructions Trump gave his lawyers and advisers about fake electors and sending electors back to the states, the people said. Some of the questions focused directly on the extent of Trump’s involvement in the fake-elector effort led by his outside lawyers, including John Eastman and Rudy Giuliani, these people said.
There are two principal tracks of the investigation that could ultimately lead to additional scrutiny of Trump, two people familiar with the situation said, also speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.
The first centers on seditious conspiracy and conspiracy to obstruct a government proceeding, the type of charges already filed against individuals who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 and on two leaders of far-right groups, Stewart Rhodes and Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, who did not breach the Capitol but were allegedly involved in planning the day’s events.
The second involves potential fraud associated with the false-electors scheme or with pressure Trump and his allies allegedly put on the Justice Department and others to falsely claim that the election was rigged and votes were fraudulently cast.
Read the full report by the Washington Post here.

The Washington Post’s report comes as US Attorney General Merrick Garland said he is open to prosecuting Trump for his ‘role in January 6.’
Merrick Garland was asked by NBC’s Lester Holt if indicting a former president would “tear the country apart.”
“Look, we pursue justice without fear or favor,” Merrick Garland told NBC’s Lester Holt in an interview that will air Tuesday night.
“So if Donald Trump were to become a candidate for president again, that would not change your schedule or how you move forward or don’t move forward?” Holt asked.
“I’ll say again that we will hold accountable anyone who is criminally responsible for attempting to interfere with the transfer — legitimate, lawful transfer of power from one administration to the next,” Garland said.
VIDEO:

“No person is above the law in this country. There is nothing in the principles of prosecution… which prevent us from investigating anyone who is criminally responsible for an attempt to undo a democratic election,” Merrick Garland said last week when asked if Trump can be prosecuted.

We knew this was coming and we also without a doubt know that no crimes were committed by President Trump. This is all about 24 and the relentless war by the deep state to destroy Trump. Its that simple. The fact that they have no case at all doesn't matter at all to them. The intensity, and duration of the attack on Trump going back to 2016 shows that Trump is an outsider and is a very strong and legitimate threat to the status quo controllers of this nation. Trump is the peoples champion.

By Cristina Laila
Published July 26, 2022 at 6:28pm
zjq92-600x400-1.jpg

The Biden Justice Department has opened an investigation into Trump’s actions to ‘overturn the 2020 election results.’
The Biden Regime is jailing its political opponents and now investigating a former US President.
Meanwhile, the Republican party is silent.
According to The Washington Post, DOJ prosecutors are probing “conversations with Trump, his lawyers, and others in his inner circle who sought to substitute Trump allies for certified electors from some states Joe Biden won.”
TRENDING: MUST SEE: Biden's Behavior Abruptly Changes in Spliced Video Speech Released by The White House; From Sleepy-Eyed to Bug-Eyed and Not Blinking
The Washington Post reported (emphasis ours):

Read the full report by the Washington Post here.

The Washington Post’s report comes as US Attorney General Merrick Garland said he is open to prosecuting Trump for his ‘role in January 6.’
Merrick Garland was asked by NBC’s Lester Holt if indicting a former president would “tear the country apart.”
“Look, we pursue justice without fear or favor,” Merrick Garland told NBC’s Lester Holt in an interview that will air Tuesday night.
“So if Donald Trump were to become a candidate for president again, that would not change your schedule or how you move forward or don’t move forward?” Holt asked.
“I’ll say again that we will hold accountable anyone who is criminally responsible for attempting to interfere with the transfer — legitimate, lawful transfer of power from one administration to the next,” Garland said.
VIDEO:

“No person is above the law in this country. There is nothing in the principles of prosecution… which prevent us from investigating anyone who is criminally responsible for an attempt to undo a democratic election,” Merrick Garland said last week when asked if Trump can be prosecuted.
So who is the Deep State?

Lovely Emerald is on point as usual.

Democrats Want To Arrest Trump​

Corrupt federal law enforcement agents are about to plunge America into chaos​

Emerald Robinson
https://emeralddb3.substack.com/p/democrats-want-to-arrest-trump/comments
The illegal arrest and “show trial” conviction of Steve Bannon is really the dress rehearsal for the illegal arrest of President Trump by the Biden regime before the 2024 election — if new reports from the Washington Post and NBC News are accurate.
Democrats were hoping to dent Trump’s popularity with the January 6th Unselect Committee televised hearings but nobody’s watching it (outside Washington) and nobody cares. Since that gambit has failed, Democrats seem to think that arresting President Trump on bogus charges and trying him in a kangaroo court is their only remaining option.
We have entered a brave new world where only Republicans will be punished for breaking the law by the federal government — a fact so obvious that even centrist Democrats are disgusted by our two-tiered justice system.

Notice that Steve Bannon is “convicted” last week — and this week, suddenly there’s a massive DOJ investigation of President Trump announced by the Washington Post.
It’s all about the timing.
Speaking of people who don’t want to run against Trump in an election but would rather stab him in the back, Mike Pence was also mentioned in the Washington Post. The article noted that Pence and his key aides are helping Democrats to get rid of President Trump too:
Many elements of the sprawling Jan. 6 criminal investigation have remained under wraps. But in recent weeks the public pace of the work has increased, with a fresh round of subpoenas, search warrants and interviews. Pence’s former chief of staff, Marc Short, and lawyer, Greg Jacob, appeared before the grand jury in downtown Washington in recent days, according to the people familiar with the investigation. Both men declined to comment.
When Mike Pence’s aides are not cooperating with Democrats on illegal committees, they’re appearing on Fox News to detail Mike Pence’s “vision for the future” which Mike Pence cannot be bothered to detail himself.
What’s Mike Pence’s vision for the future, you ask? Well, according to his chief aide Marc Short, Mike Pence’s “vision for the future” is that he will need to lay out his vision for the future — you know — one day soon.
No, I’m not kidding. That’s an exact quote.
I think that Pence has been very consistent and every campaign to say we need to have a vision. When we don't have a vision then the people perish is what he often cites in a biblical passage. And you can go back to his record when he was House Conference Chair in 2010. I think a lot of Republicans thought we were going to win that election, but Mike was the one saying we need to lay out a vision of what we're going to do. He did it when he ran for governor and he was very vocal in the campaign in 2016 with Trump to say we need to lay out our vision on border security, on trade, on judges. And so I think this is very consistent. (Italics mine)
That’s the admirable and empty wisdom of Mike Pence in a nutshell!
Not so coincidentally — on the same day that the Washington Post published its article, AG Merrick Garland climbed into the interview chair with NBC anchor Lester Holt to prepare the American public for the Biden regime’s attempt to permanently seize power in Washington.

Why should Democrats run against Republicans in elections, when they can simply arrest them on phony charges for fake crimes?
Two days ago, Senator Chuck Grassley disclosed in a letter to the FBI that whistleblowers have contacted him to allege that FBI agents are covering up for Hunter Biden and the crimes documented on his infamous laptop by falsely labeling it “disinformation.” (Read the entire letter here.) In other words, federal law enforcement agencies have been “institutionally corrupted to their very core” in the words of Senator Grassley.
It also turns out that the lead FBI agent for the Russiagate investigation is the same lead agent for the Hunter Biden investigation! His name: Brian Auten.
Meanwhile, another FBI agent named Timothy Thibault has been accused of improperly closing a second investigation into Hunter Biden one month before the 2020 election. Not so coincidentally, Agent Thibault was also assigned to investigate election fraud in 2020 — in case you’re wondering why nothing has been done about combating election fraud!
Here’s Thibault trying to win some sort of internal FBI award for worst video performance.

Squint a little bit more for us, Tim!
Apparently, the role of the FBI is to constantly interfere in America’s elections. Our national security state has not only gone rogue — but it seems to want to operate the federal government without the consent of the American people. Washington DC has become a sort of autonomous zone that’s totally independent of the constitutional republic. Our politicians pump money into the Ukraine, while you go broke paying for gasoline and groceries. Neither party seems particularly concerned about it.
They don’t want your consent — they want your obedience.

The Biden regime is turning America into a banana republic.
Are Democrats ready to arrest their political opponents? Are they ready to seize power? Are they ready to set themselves up as dictators?
We are about to find out.

I Need Your Support!

Who held the Biden regime to account for its corruption like me?

Independent and fearless journalists need your support like never before.

I need your support like never before.

The corporate media is completely corrupt. Just go down the list: the Russia Hoax, the stolen 2020 election, the deadly COVID vaccines. The corporate media is actively trying to hide the truth from the American people on a daily basis.

If we are going to survive the current regime then we must stand together.

I’ve got your back.

Do you have mine?

Get 20% off for 1 year

This should not be legal or allowed under any circumstance. So many shady connections in DC. Incestuous swamp that does need to be drained.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F9138e572-fe65-4182-8b9a-510f8d2ad6ee_597x462.png

Reactions: JoeBidenSniffsKids
This should not be legal or allowed under any circumstance. So many shady connections in DC. Incestuous swamp that does need to be drained.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F9138e572-fe65-4182-8b9a-510f8d2ad6ee_597x462.png
Maybe he is a Trump hater bc--ya know, Trump got him fired...lol.

Maybe he is a Trump hater bc--ya know, Trump got him fired...lol.
Him being a Trump hater is fine....lots of them. His wife being allowed to manage an SEC investigation into Truth Social is a totally different issue and that should not be allowed.

Trump did not get him fired though. He committed the acts and he has still not paid the price that she should. He did it to himself.

Reactions: JoeBidenSniffsKids
Him being a Trump hater is fine....lots of them. His wife being allowed to manage an SEC investigation into Truth Social is a totally different issue and that should not be allowed.

Trump did not get him fired though. He committed the acts and he has still not paid the price that she should. He did it to himself.

Incredible you could type that last sentence in a thread about the DOJ investigating J6 and not see the irony.

I asked this before and I'll ask it again: if Trump concedes the election to Biden after losing all the court cases and listens to Bill Barr OR never organizes the "Stop the Steal" rally, do we even have a J6 Committee or a DOJ investigation?

Whether you believe any of the info or not, Trump is the sole person responsible for the reason these things are happening....and he went against the advice of almost 100% of his closest advisors, TV personality buddies, and family members.

Incredible you could type that last sentence in a thread about the DOJ investigating J6 and not see the irony.

I asked this before and I'll ask it again: if Trump concedes the election to Biden after losing all the court cases and listens to Bill Barr OR never organizes the "Stop the Steal" rally, do we even have a J6 Committee or a DOJ investigation?

Whether you believe any of the info or not, Trump is the sole person responsible for the reason these things are happening....and he went against the advice of almost 100% of his closest advisors, TV personality buddies, and family members.
Trump challenging the election results is not a crime. Trump committed no crime whatsoever and if you think that then you do not understand the law. Peter Strok lost his job from an organization that was out to get Trump and they still couldnt cover up what he did. There is no comparison or irony here.

Trump challenging the election results is not a crime. Trump committed no crime whatsoever and if you think that then you do not understand the law. Peter Strok lost his job from an organization that was out to get Trump and they still couldnt cover up what he did. There is no comparison or irony here.

Challenging the election and the events on J6 are not the same thing.

And where did I say Trump committed a crime? I was simply pointing out that his actions leading up to and on J6 is the sole reason for the committee and now the DOJ. If Trump didn't commit a crime, why is it a big deal if the DOJ investigates his actions? Investigating is not the same as charging someone with a crime and ultimately proving their guilt.

A courtroom is different than a televised hearing. It will require a much greater burden of proof and all witnesses will be cross-examined, and that's even if it makes it that far. That sounds like something Trump supporters should welcome. After all, who better to understand that stories can change in a courtroom than the dude that lost 60+ lawsuits between November and January?

Reactions: flotiger and dpic73
Challenging the election and the events on J6 are not the same thing.

And where did I say Trump committed a crime? I was simply pointing out that his actions leading up to and on J6 is the sole reason for the committee and now the DOJ. If Trump didn't commit a crime, why is it a big deal if the DOJ investigates his actions? Investigating is not the same as charging someone with a crime and ultimately proving their guilt.

A courtroom is different than a televised hearing. It will require a much greater burden of proof and all witnesses will be cross-examined, and that's even if it makes it that far. That sounds like something Trump supporters should welcome. After all, who better to understand that stories can change in a courtroom than the dude that lost 60+ lawsuits between November and January?
It's 100% fake and political.

• Haha
Reactions: dpic73
You gotta be pretty upset internally to put stuff such as this out there.

I hope your situation improves.
... its just a weird comments ... that a father shouldnt say about their daughter.

I mean ... the Left did make a mountain out of a mole hill on this .... its still weird and ....gross.

To me, his comments that Ivanka didnt know what she was talking about when she said she agreed that there was no evidence of Election fraud is more damning. Ivanka is the only "good" thing about that entire family. The rest of them are just trailer trash who were lucky enough to live off their Father/Grandfathers accomplishments.

She must be a member of the Deep State, a 2nd Level Free Mason, a member of the Order of Appollomelyonmushybian, who prophesized the opening of the 7 Seal of the Master of Puppets.

... its just a weird comments ... that a father shouldnt say about their daughter.

I mean ... the Left did make a mountain out of a mole hill on this .... its still weird and ....gross.

To me, his comments that Ivanka didnt know what she was talking about when she said she agreed that there was no evidence of Election fraud is more damning. Ivanka is the only "good" thing about that entire family. The rest of them are just trailer trash who were lucky enough to live off their Father/Grandfathers accomplishments.

She must be a member of the Deep State, a 2nd Level Free Mason, a member of the Order of Appollomelyonmushybian, who prophesized the opening of the 7 Seal of the Master of Puppets.
Agree with you… but I was referring to @DW4_2016 insinuating i was a pedo.

It’d be easy to get mad, but what’s to win with someone such as him/her?

Keyboard bravery at its finest.

Reactions: PAWrocka
Agree with you… but I was referring to @DW4_2016 insinuating i was a pedo.

It’d be easy to get mad, but what’s to win with someone such as him/her?

Keyboard bravery at its finest.
are you suggesting we go to wachovia? and i'm upset?

200w.gif

but seriously, maybe take a break from posting about kids for a few weeks.

Very easy for you to act a certain way behind a screen. I told you once, be careful.

Move on.
be careful or what? you're gonna come find me, beat me up, and take my kids?

for a guy who said i was upset your projection is sure showing.

Nothing to be worried about then.
This witch hunt has been running for 6 years now. Enough is enough for anyone to see what's going on. Let's put some attention on the ones that merit a lot of it for a change.

This witch hunt has been running for 6 years now. Enough is enough for anyone to see what's going on. Let's put some attention on the ones that merit a lot of it for a change.

Sounds just like what Democrats were saying in the late 90s defending Bill Clinton.

Dershowitz: Trump critics 'stretching the law' in push to 'get' former president​

As DOJ comes under fire for perceived strong-arm tactics against Trump supporters, famed Harvard law professor warns current search for criminal charges to pin on Trump could create "dangerous" precedent.

By Aaron Kliegman
Updated: July 30, 2022 - 11:05pm

Rather than follow the letter of the law and the evidence wherever it leads, Democrats, academics, and other critics of Donald Trump are twisting the law in hopes of seeing the former president criminally charged as part of the Justice Department's probe into the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, according to renowned civil liberties lawyer Alan Dershowitz.
"The thing most upsetting to me as a liberal Democrat and civil libertarian is how hard they're searching for a crime," Dershowitz told Just the News in an exclusive interview. "It reminds me of [former head of the Soviet secret police] Lavrentiy Beria saying to Josef Stalin, 'Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime.'"
Dershowitz, professor emeritus at Harvard Law School, cited examples of prominent legal experts taking wild swings at Trump — everything from saying he attempted to murder former Vice President Mike Pence to saying he's guilty of dereliction of duty — to argue he should be charged with a crime for his actions during the Jan. 6 Capitol breach and more broadly his efforts to challenge the results of the 2020 presidential election.
"What all these arguments have in common is they stretch the law however it needs to be stretched in order to get Trump," said Dershowitz, who said prosecution not grounded in the law sets a "dangerous" precedent. "Today they're targeting Trump. Tomorrow it could be Black Lives Matter, or union organizers, or even a progressive president when the roles are flipped."
Dershowitz's comments came a few days after the Washington Post reported the Justice Department is investigating Trump's actions as part of its criminal probe into the storming of the Capitol and efforts to challenge the 2020 election results.
The report was published after Andrew Weissmann, one of the lead prosecutors in the Trump-Russia investigation, criticized the Justice Department for adopting a "bottom-up" criminal investigation by focusing primarily on Jan. 6 protesters rather than Trump and his top allies.
The Justice Department has arrested nearly 900 people for charges related to Jan. 6, imprisoning most without a trial. Several have said the FBI, Justice Department, and federal prison officials under the Biden administration violated their civil and constitutional rights. The vast majority weren't accused of carrying a weapon, assaulting law enforcement, or destroying property. Many didn't even enter the Capitol building.
The House select committee investigating Jan. 6 just finished a series of hearings over the summer aimed at portraying Trump as the central figure in an orchestrated plot to overturn the 2020 election and incite an insurrection.
In a departure from House norms, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) last year rejected two of the five House Republican picks for the committee, prompting Republican Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) to pull all five of his party's choices from the panel. Pelosi then handpicked two anti-Trump Republicans to join the seven Democrats on the committee.
The panel is currently considering whether to refer Trump to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution.
But even if the committee does make the referral, the Justice Department will disregard any conclusions reached by the committee, according to Dershowitz.
"The Justice Department will totally ignore any conclusions reached by the House committee," he said. "There was no cross examination ... It was a corrupt process for eliciting evidence. Never before have we seen a hearing like this where the other side was excluded and we only got a one-sided story."
Dershowitz added that Attorney General Merrick Garland won't ignore the actual evidence produced by the committee but will only indict with a "slam-dunk case and a smoking gun that would be accepted by the vast majority of Americans," as was the case with Richard Nixon.
With Trump, however, there's currently "no gun, not even a knife, just circumstantial inferences," said Dershowitz, who noted attempts by Democrats to omit the fact that Trump said in his speech to supporters on the day of the Capitol riot that they should protest "peacefully" and "patriotically."
Concerning other accusations leveled against Trump, Dershowitz said they would need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to result in a successful prosecution — a threshold he characterized as out of reach given the current evidence available.
Dershowitz made a point of distinguishing between criminal activity and actions people may find distasteful but aren't crimes. To prove the point, he cited allegations that Trump stood by idly on Jan. 6 and refused to call the National Guard to stop the riot — a claim that Just the News has refuted through extensive reporting in recent months.
"Let's just take the worst-case scenario and say Trump refused to call in the National Guard and watched the chaos unfold," said Dershowitz. "It wouldn't be a crime. It could be dereliction of duty or any range of sins," but not deserving of criminal charges.
"No crime is obvious here," said Dershowitz of Trump's conduct following the 2020 election. "This is just dirty politics, which has been part of the scene since Thomas Jefferson."
Dershowitz emphasized he's a man of the political left and would never vote for Trump in 2024 should he run but is bound by the law.
The situation would "change dramatically if there was evidence of tax evasion or a crime like that, but punishment for a political crime should be the American people voting you out of office," he added. "I don't want to be denied my right to vote against Trump in 2024."
The longtime Harvard professor explained that the last time "politics overtook law" was McCarthyism in the 1950s, when people were afraid to call out investigative misconduct out of fear of being branded a communist.
"Today, people are afraid of being branded a Trump supporter," he said. "Were Trump indicted, it would get much worse."
Dershowitz compared the current situation to the late Attorney General Robert Kennedy repeatedly trying to prosecute Roy Cohn, with whom he had a decades-long feud. Cohn, a central figure in the McCarthy hearings of the 1950s, was acquitted three times after three separate criminal indictments by the Kennedy Justice Department.
Concern over politics trumping the law in the potential prosecution of Trump comes amid growing outcry among legal experts against perceived Justice Department strong-arm tactics targeting skeptics of the 2020 presidential election outcome and other critics of the Biden administration.
Former Trump White House trade official Peter Navarro, for example, was publicly arrested by FBI agents at Reagan National Airport just outside Washington, D.C. last month on misdemeanor charges that he acted in contempt of Congress by defying a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee.
According to Navarro, federal agents put him in handcuffs, leg irons, strip-searched him, denied him a chance to call his lawyer, and deprived him of food and water. The Justice Department has said those claims are false.
At a recent hearing in Navarro's case, the overseeing federal judge agreed federal agents used unnecessary force against Navarro, saying it was baffling that prosecutors didn't simply tell Navarro he was going to be charged and let him walk into an FBI office.
"Law enforcement seems to be using arrest tactics on Trump supporters that are generally reserved for violent and/or fleeing suspects," Dershowitz told Just the News earlier this month. "They do not seem justified in many of these cases."

Dershowitz: Trump critics 'stretching the law' in push to 'get' former president​

As DOJ comes under fire for perceived strong-arm tactics against Trump supporters, famed Harvard law professor warns current search for criminal charges to pin on Trump could create "dangerous" precedent.

By Aaron Kliegman
Updated: July 30, 2022 - 11:05pm

Rather than follow the letter of the law and the evidence wherever it leads, Democrats, academics, and other critics of Donald Trump are twisting the law in hopes of seeing the former president criminally charged as part of the Justice Department's probe into the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, according to renowned civil liberties lawyer Alan Dershowitz.
"The thing most upsetting to me as a liberal Democrat and civil libertarian is how hard they're searching for a crime," Dershowitz told Just the News in an exclusive interview. "It reminds me of [former head of the Soviet secret police] Lavrentiy Beria saying to Josef Stalin, 'Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime.'"
Dershowitz, professor emeritus at Harvard Law School, cited examples of prominent legal experts taking wild swings at Trump — everything from saying he attempted to murder former Vice President Mike Pence to saying he's guilty of dereliction of duty — to argue he should be charged with a crime for his actions during the Jan. 6 Capitol breach and more broadly his efforts to challenge the results of the 2020 presidential election.
"What all these arguments have in common is they stretch the law however it needs to be stretched in order to get Trump," said Dershowitz, who said prosecution not grounded in the law sets a "dangerous" precedent. "Today they're targeting Trump. Tomorrow it could be Black Lives Matter, or union organizers, or even a progressive president when the roles are flipped."
Dershowitz's comments came a few days after the Washington Post reported the Justice Department is investigating Trump's actions as part of its criminal probe into the storming of the Capitol and efforts to challenge the 2020 election results.
The report was published after Andrew Weissmann, one of the lead prosecutors in the Trump-Russia investigation, criticized the Justice Department for adopting a "bottom-up" criminal investigation by focusing primarily on Jan. 6 protesters rather than Trump and his top allies.
The Justice Department has arrested nearly 900 people for charges related to Jan. 6, imprisoning most without a trial. Several have said the FBI, Justice Department, and federal prison officials under the Biden administration violated their civil and constitutional rights. The vast majority weren't accused of carrying a weapon, assaulting law enforcement, or destroying property. Many didn't even enter the Capitol building.
The House select committee investigating Jan. 6 just finished a series of hearings over the summer aimed at portraying Trump as the central figure in an orchestrated plot to overturn the 2020 election and incite an insurrection.
In a departure from House norms, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) last year rejected two of the five House Republican picks for the committee, prompting Republican Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) to pull all five of his party's choices from the panel. Pelosi then handpicked two anti-Trump Republicans to join the seven Democrats on the committee.
The panel is currently considering whether to refer Trump to the Justice Department for criminal prosecution.
But even if the committee does make the referral, the Justice Department will disregard any conclusions reached by the committee, according to Dershowitz.
"The Justice Department will totally ignore any conclusions reached by the House committee," he said. "There was no cross examination ... It was a corrupt process for eliciting evidence. Never before have we seen a hearing like this where the other side was excluded and we only got a one-sided story."
Dershowitz added that Attorney General Merrick Garland won't ignore the actual evidence produced by the committee but will only indict with a "slam-dunk case and a smoking gun that would be accepted by the vast majority of Americans," as was the case with Richard Nixon.
With Trump, however, there's currently "no gun, not even a knife, just circumstantial inferences," said Dershowitz, who noted attempts by Democrats to omit the fact that Trump said in his speech to supporters on the day of the Capitol riot that they should protest "peacefully" and "patriotically."
Concerning other accusations leveled against Trump, Dershowitz said they would need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to result in a successful prosecution — a threshold he characterized as out of reach given the current evidence available.
Dershowitz made a point of distinguishing between criminal activity and actions people may find distasteful but aren't crimes. To prove the point, he cited allegations that Trump stood by idly on Jan. 6 and refused to call the National Guard to stop the riot — a claim that Just the News has refuted through extensive reporting in recent months.
"Let's just take the worst-case scenario and say Trump refused to call in the National Guard and watched the chaos unfold," said Dershowitz. "It wouldn't be a crime. It could be dereliction of duty or any range of sins," but not deserving of criminal charges.
"No crime is obvious here," said Dershowitz of Trump's conduct following the 2020 election. "This is just dirty politics, which has been part of the scene since Thomas Jefferson."
Dershowitz emphasized he's a man of the political left and would never vote for Trump in 2024 should he run but is bound by the law.
The situation would "change dramatically if there was evidence of tax evasion or a crime like that, but punishment for a political crime should be the American people voting you out of office," he added. "I don't want to be denied my right to vote against Trump in 2024."
The longtime Harvard professor explained that the last time "politics overtook law" was McCarthyism in the 1950s, when people were afraid to call out investigative misconduct out of fear of being branded a communist.
"Today, people are afraid of being branded a Trump supporter," he said. "Were Trump indicted, it would get much worse."
Dershowitz compared the current situation to the late Attorney General Robert Kennedy repeatedly trying to prosecute Roy Cohn, with whom he had a decades-long feud. Cohn, a central figure in the McCarthy hearings of the 1950s, was acquitted three times after three separate criminal indictments by the Kennedy Justice Department.
Concern over politics trumping the law in the potential prosecution of Trump comes amid growing outcry among legal experts against perceived Justice Department strong-arm tactics targeting skeptics of the 2020 presidential election outcome and other critics of the Biden administration.
Former Trump White House trade official Peter Navarro, for example, was publicly arrested by FBI agents at Reagan National Airport just outside Washington, D.C. last month on misdemeanor charges that he acted in contempt of Congress by defying a subpoena from the Jan. 6 committee.
According to Navarro, federal agents put him in handcuffs, leg irons, strip-searched him, denied him a chance to call his lawyer, and deprived him of food and water. The Justice Department has said those claims are false.
At a recent hearing in Navarro's case, the overseeing federal judge agreed federal agents used unnecessary force against Navarro, saying it was baffling that prosecutors didn't simply tell Navarro he was going to be charged and let him walk into an FBI office.
"Law enforcement seems to be using arrest tactics on Trump supporters that are generally reserved for violent and/or fleeing suspects," Dershowitz told Just the News earlier this month. "They do not seem justified in many of these cases."
200120083652-alan-dershowitz-1998-super-169.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT