ADVERTISEMENT

California blackouts

CU_Strider

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2016
I recall a fellow tiger currently working in the utility industry in California. Any details as to why beyond it being hot?

I wonder what the impacts will be here in the Carolinas. The CA governor is totally slamming the public utilities commission.

I recall a fellow tiger currently working in the utility industry in California. Any details as to why beyond it being hot?

I wonder what the impacts will be here in the Carolinas. The CA governor is totally slamming the public utilities commission.

California switched to only solar and wind for electricity... how are they supposed to be running at full capacity 24/7 when 10 hours a day they don’t produce electricity?

The California government blames PG&E, but all the ridiculous restrictions the state puts on them makes it impossible for PG&E to do anything besides be the fall guy.

Aka California is run by a bunch of morons and finger pointers.

California switched to only solar and wind for electricity... how are they supposed to be running at full capacity 24/7 when 10 hours a day they don’t produce electricity?

The California government blames PG&E, but all the ridiculous restrictions the state puts on them makes it impossible for PG&E to do anything besides be the fall guy.

Amen brother!!!

I’m here.
Frankly, we saw this coming about a decade ago, but things adapted out here much better & faster than anticipated. I’m stunned it only has happened twice in 20 years. To simplify it, when you layer Renewable Portfolio Standards on top of a ban on coastal Once-Through Cooled power plants, premature retirement of SONGS, Dramatically increased wildfire frequency, droughts that severely curtail your ability to generate pennies on the dollar hydroelectric power, and air quality regs that limit natural gas generation, you get rolling blackouts. Also, planning is for (don’t ask why, it’s a longer story) one in ten year heat events...this one we just went through was greater than that. Plus, don’t kid yourself, despite using some of the most sophisticated models on the planet, Meteorology is some seriously inaccurate science.
The impact to the Carolinas from what’s happening out here? Pretty much zero. You don’t have the overly restrictive and progressive environmental policies that we do. Ask me how many coal plants we have in California. Then ask how many Nukes.

I’m here.
Frankly, we saw this coming about a decade ago, but things adapted out here much better & faster than anticipated. I’m stunned it only has happened twice in 20 years. To simplify it, when you layer Renewable Portfolio Standards on top of a ban on coastal Once-Through Cooled power plants, premature retirement of SONGS, Dramatically increased wildfire frequency, droughts that severely curtail your ability to generate pennies on the dollar hydroelectric power, and air quality regs that limit natural gas generation, you get rolling blackouts. Also, planning is for (don’t ask why, it’s a longer story) one in ten year heat events...this one we just went through was greater than that. Plus, don’t kid yourself, despite using some of the most sophisticated models on the planet, Meteorology is some seriously inaccurate science.
The impact to the Carolinas from what’s happening out here? Pretty much zero. You don’t have the overly restrictive and progressive environmental policies that we do. Ask me how many coal plants we have in California. Then ask how many Nukes.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail. It was very interesting and insightful.

As to your question, without Google, I'm gonna guess 0, and 0?

I wish that blackout would cause that state and all those liberals to literally separate from the US and float off far into the pacific.
It is my understanding that the entire Central Valley and southern areas like San Diego are entirely republican. It’s Reagan country, isn’t it?

It is my understanding that the entire Central Valley and southern areas like San Diego are entirely republican. It’s Reagan country, isn’t it?

During the Relo process (because there's nothing quite like exercising a Corporate Relocation package during a Pandemic...), I drove back to Monrovia twice and during the four times a drove nearly the entire length of the Valley, I kept seeing "signs"...Trump bumper stickers and "Are you tired, yet?" referring to the state's 2:1 Democratic majority. I was surprised. My politics are the conservative side of the middle, so I don't drink the KoolAid of either side, but it's all pretty interesting to me. People forget that not all that long ago, California was more balanced. In open industry coalition meetings in Sacramento, I will often refer to the "California One Party System". Some of my more liberal colleagues laugh nervously.

We’re less than a decade away from no coal in the Carolinas, if not sooner. But the nuclear is staying strong for the foreseeable future. With the cancellation of the ACP, not sure what the gas future holds either.

We’re winter-peaking here in the Carolinas, so hopefully that protects us in the long-term planning space.

Totally agree with your point in meteorology. Especially with the combination of things going on. Even less than a week is out is tough.

Thanks for the reply @southerncaltiger . Always appreciate your insights on utility dealings.

Ha ha. No, it's not only solar & wind, but there are some who still believe that's all we need. Maybe someday? Not any time soon...trust me. Storage technology just isn't there yet. Yeah, yeah, I know about what's available & it helps, but it's not deployable at the scale yet where it can balance out the Duck Curve.

I have a LOT of interaction with PG&E. Some outstanding people there. Unfortunately, they are the worst run electric utility I've seen and I've been in this industry since 1998 and for 8 years prior to that, I was a consultant to PG&E, SCANA, and Southern Company. I blame that on inept executive management and I'm not alone in that assessment by any means. Filing for Ch. 11 bankruptcy twice hasn't exactly endeared them to CA Government, so yes, they do get piled-on, but they brought a lot of that pain on themselves. Here's one example...I'm not sure who convinced who that Bill Rogers (formerly of Progress Energy, Formerly of TVA) was a good fit to run PG&E, but while Mr. Rogers is probably a good man, that Southern drawl and "aw shucks" demeanor played in San Francisco & Sacramento about as well Ohioans vacationing at South Carolina beaches do. Cultural Fit 101 complete failure. Again, PG&E brings a lot of pain on themselves.

California run by morons and finger pointers? Yeah, maybe so. California has a high opinion of itself; it feels like it should "lead" the country...I noticed it in the natives when I was on assignment out here with Fluor in the mid-1990's. Hell, I see it in my wife.

This is what has surprised me being out here since March, how many people that I've talked to are Republican.
Living in Cabo for 18 years and two years in Arizona I met one, yes ONE democrat in all of my years and of course didn't buy.
However, I had 28 closings last year and 1 from Florida but 27 from California looking to "escape" the regime, their quotes not mine.
This year is the same to the point that a lot of Arizonians are about to build a wall of their own to stop the Cali people. lol (tic obviously)

Here's one example...I'm not sure who convinced who that Bill Rogers (formerly of Progress Energy, Formerly of TVA) was a good fit to run PG&E, but while Mr. Rogers is probably a good man, that Southern drawl and "aw shucks" demeanor played in San Francisco & Sacramento about as well Ohioans vacationing at South Carolina beaches do. Cultural Fit 101 complete failure. Again, PG&E brings a lot of pain on themselves.

Bill Johnson. What were thy thinking? His track record is quite less than stellar.

i lived in San Diego for about 10 years. I would say San Diego, Orange County, Inland Empire and most anything north of LA and south of SF are Republican. But maybe someone will know better than me.

Blackouts are good for some power companies that export electricity. The way it was explained to me is on the wholesale power market when a blackout is imminent the "extra" power can skyrocket in price. So if NY was having a blackout, Connecticut power companies would say to their users cut back on your consumption as blackouts may occur. They then sell that cutback power on the open market to NY that has to import power at the now skyrocketing price. Not a frequent occurrence but if the stars align, the jump in the price can be 1000x the contracted rate. Fire up the coal burner for a few hours.

This... beat me to it. If the sun isn’t shining or the wind isn’t blowing, well, stupid is as stupid does. They do have hydro but the demand requires nuclear, natural gas and clean coal. Have to have a diversified generation portfolio cause different times, needs, fuel costs call for different measures. A 100% renewables generation plan is a pipe dream and Cali has made it a dumbass Lib political policy like everything else they touch

Not the first time they have blamed PG&E

I’m here.
This is right on the money. Nice overview.

Reactions: southerncaltiger

havent read the rest of the comments but the wildfires and lightning storms are wreaking havoc out there

i know the fires have burned the size of rhode island in the last week

If we're being honest, California shouldn't have any nuclear power plants at all. Last thing we need is another Fukushima.

What California does need are those wave farms.

LOL. Nice troll. With all due respect, equating "what happened at Fukushima" to the California nukes is one helluva reach. Build a nuclear plant near a subduction zone and then be surprised when an earthquake over 8.0 rocks your facility? I can't help them if they don't understand how to design around those constraints. It's hard to blame the Japanese for going nuke...geologically, they have about zero natural resources for energy production.

That's a very good article--thanks for posting.
My friend & former co-worker has it spot-on.

Warren Lasher, ERCOT’s senior director of system planning, said he expects the organization to rely increasingly on peaker plants that can dispatch power quickly, as well as batteries, and industries that can respond by ramping down energy use as more wind and solar power are added to the grid.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
LOL. Nice troll. With all due respect, equating "what happened at Fukushima" to the California nukes is one helluva reach. Build a nuclear plant near a subduction zone and then be surprised when an earthquake over 8.0 rocks your facility? I can't help them if they don't understand how to design around those constraints. It's hard to blame the Japanese for going nuke...geologically, they have about zero natural resources for energy production.
California is nothing but one big fault line. Besides, fission is so messy. If California really wants to lead the country, and if they care so much about the environment as they claim, fusion is the only way. We're obviously not there yet, but we're close and getting closer all the time. I would think a state as awesome as California thinks it is could figure it out pretty quickly if they put their minds to it.

Has CA not upgraded every building in the state to be energy efficient yet? Hopefully they will finally do that once president Kamala signs the GND into law. Then we won’t have these problems.

Reactions: clemmer
SF, LA and SD are Blue as Blue can be. Orange County and all of the Ag areas are Red.
Not really accurate. Orange Co has more Dems representing it in Congress than GOP members. You are living in yesterday. The smartest, wealthiest people in California (and elsewhere for that matter) have largely abandoned the GOP and the Trump years have accelerated the trend.

Not really accurate. Orange Co has more Dems representing it in Congress than GOP members. You are living in yesterday. The smartest, wealthiest people in California (and elsewhere for that matter) have largely abandoned the GOP and the Trump years have accelerated the trend.
WTF?

I’m here.
The impact to the Carolinas from what’s happening out here? Pretty much zero. You don’t have the overly restrictive and progressive environmental policies that we do. Ask me how many coal plants we have in California. Then ask how many nukes.

Facts shouldn't enter any conversation or argument with a Libtard. It confuses the horseshit lies they bleed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT