ADVERTISEMENT

Charleston Police writing tickets for not wearing masks even on the street

Here is the Charleston facemark ordinance: https://www.charleston-sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/27256/FAQ-Mask-Ordinance-2020-100-20200821

The outdoors component:

Q: Do I have to wear a face covering while outdoors?
A: Yes, face coverings are required while outdoors in public spaces. However, face coverings are not required while exercising, outside as long as physical distancing of six feet is maintained between you and anyone that is not a part of your household.

Here is the Charleston facemark ordinance: https://www.charleston-sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/27256/FAQ-Mask-Ordinance-2020-100-20200821

The outdoors component:

Q: Do I have to wear a face covering while outdoors?
A: Yes, face coverings are required while outdoors in public spaces. However, face coverings are not required while exercising, outside as long as physical distancing of six feet is maintained between you and anyone that is not a part of your household.
I would go to court and argue that walking is considered exercise

Good. My dad is back in SC going through some kind of neurological event and we can’t get him proper treatment because all of the hospitals in his area are overflowing with Covid patients. His doctor is trying to avoid sending him to any local ER because he’s worried that he will be stuck in the ER for 72 hours and catch Covid from the nearly 50 overflow patients who are stuck their on ventilators.

In the meantime my family has to try to keep my dad from falling and smashing his skull while he keeps trying to call his old assistant at the company he retired from years ago to pick him up so he can get to the office (we’ve had to take his keys). He called me yesterday telling me that he missed his flight and was stuck in a hotel room in Minneapolis. He was calling from his home phone in SC.

I don’t know why people can’t grasp how serious this thing is and the way it has crippled doctors’ ability to treat serious, non-covid related illnesses.

At this point, if you aren’t wearing a mask in public, it’s your own fault for ending up on YouTube or paying a ticket.
See less and less of it in Anderson area of upstate.

Do you have to present an ID if the police write you a citation? Can you not walk outside legally without a License?

Seems really hard to enforce a law of such

Good. My dad is back in SC going through some kind of neurological event and we can’t get him proper treatment because all of the hospitals in his area are overflowing with Covid patients. His doctor is trying to avoid sending him to any local ER because he’s worried that he will be stuck in the ER for 72 hours and catch Covid from the nearly 50 overflow patients who are stuck their on ventilators.

In the meantime my family has to try to keep my dad from falling and smashing his skull while he keeps trying to call his old assistant at the company he retired from years ago to pick him up so he can get to the office (we’ve had to take his keys). He called me yesterday telling me that he missed his flight and was stuck in a hotel room in Minneapolis. He was calling from his home phone in SC.

I don’t know why people can’t grasp how serious this thing is and the way it has crippled doctors’ ability to treat serious, non-covid related illnesses.
Tboone.... COVID protocols matter to a lot of people and take them seriously. So sorry to hear about your dad.

There’s another segment of population that COVID doesn’t matter as it affects their personal liberties and their personal risk is low. The equation of overwhelming hospitals does not resonate with them for whatever reason.

COVID messaging in this country failed. It was always 1 simple message: Maintain distance and cover your face so we do not overwhelm the healthcare systems in order to handle normal business effectively.

That’s it. It’s not political, it’s not about the death rate. It’s about treatment spiking. Government failed this simple message.

Part of it is that some people don’t realize the true impact on our Healtchcare system....until they have it or someone close to them has it and they need that very system....they just cannot seem to get their mind around being as precautions as possible until we get out of this situation .... they’d rather argue because it’s such an inconvenience and they couldn’t possibly be wrong....one of my best friends is exactly that and just doesn’t give a f$&# about anyone but himself. This pandemic is bringing out the worst in a lot of friends and family ... this thing can’t get under control soon enough.

Tboone.... COVID protocols matter to a lot of people and take them seriously. So sorry to hear about your dad.

There’s another segment of population that COVID doesn’t matter as it affects their personal liberties and their personal risk is low. The equation of overwhelming hospitals does not resonate with them for whatever reason.

COVID messaging in this country failed. It was always 1 simple message: Maintain distance and cover your face so we do not overwhelm the healthcare systems in order to handle normal business effectively.

That’s it. It’s not political, it’s not about the death rate. It’s about treatment spiking. Government failed this simple message.
This is the damn truth.

If you really believe that masks (especially outside) are the solution, I feel sorry for you.
Regardless, I hope and pray that your Dad recovers quickly.

If you really believe that masks (especially outside) are the solution, I feel sorry for you.

I believe whining about civil liberties and being inconvenienced while we live through an ordeal where people can't get care for their loved ones because hospitals are overflowing with the walking dead in part because so many morons have ignored the seriousness of this situation is disgraceful. You want to talk about people who are hurting financially because of restrictions and are struggling to stay afloat because our government has shamefully neglected them in a national time of need, then I have full empathy and sympathy.

The constant whining about something as superficial as wearing a mask is beyond pathetic and emblematic of a selfishness that defines certain segments of our society. These same segments frequently mention the greatness of the men and women who sacrificed greatly in previous generations to protect our freedom, but don't you dare ask these modern day patriots to suffer the indignity of wearing a mask because that's just too great a sacrifice to make. I'd be all for the Darwinistic aspect of this plague if it didn't prevent people like my father who have behaved responsibly during it from receiving proper treatment.

@twisted_tiger is there something funny about my dad's situation to you? I'm hoping you left the laughing smilie there by mistake. I can assure you there's nothing funny about having to try to talk your dad out of a delusion he's trapped in as a result of likely ministrokes. It's quite heartbreaking.
Man, sorry your dad and you are going through this. Prayers sent.

I know several who got tickets today for not wearing masks on King St and Meeting. I didn’t realize you have to wear a mask while being outside. Seems ridiculous to me.
Yep, it is ridiculous, but I think some people believe that if you let people determine whether they're able to social distance, they'll just get together in crowds without masks. In reality, I think what you end up doing is forcing those people who won't comply with mask mandates inside.

The people who think people think that masks were going to solve our problems are equally stupid. Masks were never meant to be the solution.

They were meant to part of the solution. Along with socially distancing (which many people haven’t done) and washing your hands (which many people don’t do). So should we have just been where we are now for 10 months? We’d have been in the millions of deaths then.

I’d wager, by and large, trump lost because he made masks political. The pandemic was handled extremely poorly and it’s showing now. I’ve had 2 friends/family die of Covid and another family member die because he was not be able to receive medical care because hospitals are overrun.

People like you are too damn stupid to understand that they're not the solution, but they are PART of the solution. There are several precautions that people can take to help reduce the spread, but that would be taking away your liberties.

Part of it is that some people don’t realize the true impact on our Healtchcare system....until they have it or someone close to them has it and they need that very system....they just cannot seem to get their mind around being as precautions as possible until we get out of this situation .... they’d rather argue because it’s such an inconvenience and they couldn’t possibly be wrong....one of my best friends is exactly that and just doesn’t give a f$&# about anyone but himself. This pandemic is bringing out the worst in a lot of friends and family ... this thing can’t get under control soon enough.

Sounds like you need to choose a better “best friend.”

The people who think people think that masks were going to solve our problems are equally stupid. Masks were never meant to be the solution.

They were meant to part of the solution. Along with socially distancing (which many people haven’t done) and washing your hands (which many people don’t do). So should we have just been where we are now for 10 months? We’d have been in the millions of deaths then.

I’d wager, by and large, trump lost because he made masks political. The pandemic was handled extremely poorly and it’s showing now. I’ve had 2 friends/family die of Covid and another family member die because he was not be able to receive medical care because hospitals are overrun.
I don't think the pandemic has been handled particularly poorly in the US, although some states (ahem... NY) have done a really bad job. If you look at a number of other similar countries, they have similar or worse outcomes. Of course, we want to have the best outcomes, so in that sense we've failed. But we've also decreased the death rate, discovered some effective treatments, figured out how the disease spreads for the most part, and created vaccines. Trump's rhetoric about the virus certainly hasn't helped, but his administration is more competent and responsible than he is.

Our biggest problem is that what's needed to prevent the spread of the virus in the absence of mass vaccination really isn't sustainable, whether socially, economically, politically, or spiritually. I think just about everybody knows that, but some people's natural rebellion against public health inconveniences and burdens (really, it's against being told what to do) is being sublimated into denial about the severity of the virus, and then into proud, individualist non-compliance. Maybe the biggest improvement to the pandemic response would be better communication with the public so that people have a sense that all of this isn't just interminable, that there are clear goals, and that the decisions being made aren't arbitrary.

Last edited:
I believe whining about civil liberties and being inconvenienced while we live through an ordeal where people can't get care for their loved ones because hospitals are overflowing with the walking dead in part because so many morons have ignored the seriousness of this situation is disgraceful. You want to talk about people who are hurting financially because of restrictions and are struggling to stay afloat because our government has shamefully neglected them in a national time of need, then I have full empathy and sympathy.

The constant whining about something as superficial as wearing a mask is beyond pathetic and emblematic of a selfishness that defines certain segments of our society. These same segments frequently mention the greatness of the men and women who sacrificed greatly in previous generations to protect our freedom, but don't you dare ask these modern day patriots to suffer the indignity of wearing a mask because that's just too great a sacrifice to make. I'd be all for the Darwinistic aspect of this plague if it didn't prevent people like my father who have behaved responsibly during it from receiving proper treatment.
The true character of people are shown during trying times. I think we are all seeing those true colors now.

Sorry about your father, Tboon.

people are not getting Covid walking down the street

Hate to hear and have heard similar stories recently. "Elective surgeries" are not really elective. Sucks. Not wearing masks outdoors is not the cause, however, of this last wave.

The main reason for this current spread is that families got together over Christmas. It's a tough ask, but if you allow your parents or your kids into your home...you're asking for it.

Also, going to dinner with friends or family and riding in the same car.

Last edited:
People like you are too damn stupid to understand that they're not the solution, but they are PART of the solution. There are several precautions that people can take to help reduce the spread, but that would be taking away your liberties.
You calling me “too damn stupid” is truly a low point in my life. If you polled this board, I am very confident that you would win the #1 DUMBASS award.

You calling me “too damn stupid” is truly a low point in my life. If you polled this board, I am very confident that you would win the #1 DUMBASS award.
Good thing an internet site board and real life are two different things. It really does cut me to my soul to know I might not win the TI Popularity Award... LMAO.

I am curious. Do you feel the Federal Government should have made Federal laws requiring masks and social distancing? I thought allowing the states was the proper call. I mean why should South Dakota be required to follow the same rules as New York? Those states have totally different population density and such. I do think several states made atrocious decisions. That part is true.

Totally agree. Its gone beyond crazy now about it. Its not the end all, be all. Too many have gone overboard.

My Bro in law is a pancreatic cancer survivor, one of the very few and battled it for over 6 yrs now. Had over half of Pancreas removed, been on Chemo for the entirety. Just about living a normal life thru it all, working, enjoying life and had it under control.

Yep, you guessed it. Covid shut all of his treatments down for over a month and half. Well, its grown rapidly now to his lungs and liver. Back on the treatments now but is behind the gun now.

Proof enough for me shutting down and stopping our daily lives was the wrong thing to do.

As someone who’s spent a lot of time consulting for healthcare companies re: covid, I can tell you that transmission through the air outside is the least of our concerns. Had open air contact been a true vehicle of transmission, we all would have had covid long before March (and the death toll within the elderly population would be double).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT