ADVERTISEMENT

Child molested at NewSpring

From what I was told the male volunteers take the boys to the bathroom (supposed to have two male volunteers do this) and female volunteers take the girls to the bathroom (also with two volunteers). Maybe someone who goes there can corroborate that but if true....who in the hell thought that was a good idea?

Childcare should be run by women (don't care if sexist). I don't mind if the husband is in the room helping as long as his wife is also present but even in that case the woman should be helping the kids use the bathroom and change diapers. Anywhere I've ever been to church the women work in childcare and the men do things in the parking lot or move chairs or help people find seats, etc...

This is disgusting. This man should be sexually assaulted and murdered in a public forum.

At my church that is basically what we do. We have a majority of women serving in our nursery. But the "majority" is probably 60%. The 40% that are men are husbands of women who serve in the nursery. So quite often each nursery room is run by a married couple. The downside is if something were to happen you have the whole can't-be-forced-to-testify-against-your-spouse thing.

However they also struggle to find volunteers. This becomes a problem at churches once they get big. Newspring churches are huge. Probably around 1000 members/church I guess. My church is at 400-600. And volunteers are scarce. I quit doing it when my son moved on from the nursery so I can't gripe. At my church we have so many kids that there just aren't enough women willing to do all of the nursery duty. And even then - there's nothing to say one of THEM wouldn't be a predator (speaking of women in general).

Single men or men serving without their wives in the same room is rare - though It has happened. I think I did it once (with a woman in there with me, but she wasn't my wife). My wife was sick.

I'm not sure about camera coverage but we have a bunch of the damn things. And roving security - though they are more tasked with securing the church from outside threats.

We do take precautions including background checks but those only go so far. Fortunately (to our knowledge) there have been no incidents.

As far as what should be done to the guy.......yeah. Having a hard time disagreeing.

Reactions: 75TigerDoug
At my church that is basically what we do. We have a majority of women serving in our nursery. But the "majority" is probably 60%. The 40% that are men are husbands of women who serve in the nursery. So quite often each nursery room is run by a married couple. The downside is if something were to happen you have the whole can't-be-forced-to-testify-against-your-spouse thing.

However they also struggle to find volunteers. This becomes a problem at churches once they get big. Newspring churches are huge. Probably around 1000 members/church I guess. My church is at 400-600. And volunteers are scarce. I quit doing it when my son moved on from the nursery so I can't gripe. At my church we have so many kids that there just aren't enough women willing to do all of the nursery duty. And even then - there's nothing to say one of THEM wouldn't be a predator (speaking of women in general).

Single men or men serving without their wives in the same room is rare - though It has happened. I think I did it once (with a woman in there with me, but she wasn't my wife). My wife was sick.

I'm not sure about camera coverage but we have a bunch of the damn things. And roving security - though they are more tasked with securing the church from outside threats.

We do take precautions including background checks but those only go so far. Fortunately (to our knowledge) there have been no incidents.

As far as what should be done to the guy.......yeah. Having a hard time disagreeing.

That's fair....I hadn't really considered the scarcity of volunteers. I imagine that's an issue at plenty of churches. Obviously a woman can be a predator too but the likelihood of that is so much lower than a man...especially a single man.

Sounds like y'all are doing it as best you can at your church. The other thing that I think makes a lot of sense if to have as many women as you can get to volunteer and instead of adult males doing the childcare why not have middle or high school girls whose families go to the church? That's probably a better growth opportunity for them than socializing with their friends in youth group anyways.

Anyone notice how bad Perry Noble looks lately.

629d50b21bd2.jpg
Safe to say he's back on the vodka crans.

This is the policy in Greenville. My wife volunteers with Kidspring every Sunday and the children’s safety is priority #1. They have always been very careful to avoid this possibility. I have no idea why this was not caught on the Charleston campus. Hopefully the state makes an example of this creep.

This is the policy. 2 adults present. They are already taking steps to go further than this, such as having a staff member (not a volunteer) attend the bathrooms in addition to two volunteers. This is truly unfortunate.

But why would two males be taking little boys (or girls) to the restroom? This doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. If you're young enough to need help going to the bathroom then a female should be the one to take you, if you're old enough to be embarrassed by someone of the opposite sex to be taking you then you're old enough to not need an adult in the bathroom with you.

I've never even taken one of my nieces or nephews to the potty, likewise my brothers or brother in laws have never taken my kids to the potty. I just don't understand why this wouldn't be something that a female would supervise. Feel absolutely terrible for this family and any other families who had kids in this program because they're going to be worrying about the "what-if" knowing their child wouldn't know how to communicate whether or not something bad happened.

can someone explain to me why there is a camera in the bathroom?

also, what in the actual F. would posses someone to give a 6 year old a blumpkin.

Hopefully this guy gets life with the general population.

Exactly....glad he was busted but there are laws against cameras in bathrooms....would love to hear how it was allowed

Also i thought the article said a three year old

Reactions: Ron Munson
If you're dumb, sure. It is pretty funny how people like yourself just can't restrain yourselves in these threads.

I didn't realize ignoring a precedent set over several millennia is considered stupid.

These comments continue to show up in these threads because history has told us time and time again about the pitfalls of organized religion. It's disappointing that you can't handle that fact being brought up these conversations.

You can bash us all for bringing it up all you like, but it's not going to change reality.

Reactions: Smiling_Tiger
But why would two males be taking little boys (or girls) to the restroom? This doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. If you're young enough to need help going to the bathroom then a female should be the one to take you, if you're old enough to be embarrassed by someone of the opposite sex to be taking you then you're old enough to not need an adult in the bathroom with you.

I've never even taken one of my nieces or nephews to the potty, likewise my brothers or brother in laws have never taken my kids to the potty. I just don't understand why this wouldn't be something that a female would supervise. Feel absolutely terrible for this family and any other families who had kids in this program because they're going to be worrying about the "what-if" knowing their child wouldn't know how to communicate whether or not something bad happened.

Our church, only females can change diapers and take toddlers to bathroom. Seemed a bit overkill to me, but probably a pretty good policy.

This is just disgusting, I know NewSpring is a polarizing topic and I hope this isn't a common theme. A church is a place where people go to find peace, not have this stuff happen.

https://www.wspa.com/news/sc-man-pe...-year-old-boy-at-church-police-say/1626698149
Pediphiles usually target churches to get to children. Churches are more accepting of people coming in to work with kids and not a lot of red tape, background checks to find a place working in a church program. A church like Newspring has a massive children's program and need lots of workers. These people come in a put on a great act and are patient until they are allowed to work with children. Newspring has responsibility but trust me they never intended for this to happen. Pediphiles are disturbed people and the scum of society, but they are also very good actors. That is how they get close to children.

I didn't realize ignoring a precedent set over several millennia is considered stupid.

These comments continue to show up in these threads because history has told us time and time again about the pitfalls of organized religion. It's disappointing that you can't handle that fact being brought up these conversations.

You can bash us all for bringing it up all you like, but it's not going to change reality.
This has nothing to do with religion. No religion teaches to sexually abuse children. It has to do with pediphiles finding weak spots to attack children.

Meh. If you want people to know you’re ignorant, don’t let me stop you. It’s sort of fascinating how strong the need is for people like yourself to perseverate this stuff, though.

Last edited:

do you have stats that show there are more molestation cases coming out of church envrionments than non church environments?

Hate to say it, but churches need to follow the "two-deep leadership" program employed by the BSA. Either have two adults with one child or two (or more) children under the care of one adult.

There should be no one-on-one contact with minors, unless the minor is the child of the adult.

That is the way it is at my church. Two adults any time there is one child under the age of 18.

Sure thing pal.
Not trying to change your mind, but I can tell you that is not what the Bible teaches. Not trying to defend any human, but I will defend the Bible. All humans are sinners. The Bible says there is no one righteous. That's why we all need a savior. It is sad that it happened at church, but you know what it is sad it happened period. Because this church failed to protect this child does not diminish what the Bible teaches. The Bible is full of failures. Some make amends some don't.

can someone explain to me why there is a camera in the bathroom?

also, what in the actual F. would posses someone to give a 6 year old a blumpkin.

Hopefully this guy gets life with the general population.

I had the same initial question. Seems exceedingly odd to surveil the toilet, although in this case, it's a good thing they did.

I didn’t read the whole thread because I saw the OP’s link and that was enough. Just sickening and absolutely horrible

My brother and his wife are very involved in church and this kind of stuff scares the shit out of me because of all the sick people in our society

I never understood the Newsspring jokes on here regarding funneling money. But I hope no one jokes about this issue right here

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
do you have stats that show there are more molestation cases coming out of church envrionments than non church environments?
Without wanting to be put on any watch lists with a google search about child molestations, there are frankly not that many other environments that compare to that of a church were a group of young men/women are usually in secluded contact with a single adult male for extended periods of time. Sports, boyscouts(often church intertwined), and various summer camps are the only comparable environments that I can think of at the top of my head. I've only heard jokes about youth leaders/priests and camp counselors. Well that and Pedo State recently

Hope this helps.

Without wanting to be put on any watch lists with a google search about child molestations, there are frankly not that many other environments that compare to that of a church were a group of young men/women are usually in secluded contact with a single adult male for extended periods of time. Sports, boyscouts(often church intertwined), and various summer camps are the only comparable environments that I can think of at the top of my head. I've only heard jokes about youth leaders/priests and camp counselors. Well that and Pedo State recently

Hope this helps.
yes, but is there a higher % of molestation taking place under the watch of the church? i honestly am curioius but i doubt that its even close...im not really an organized religion guy, but I have found that the overwhelming majority of the devout are nice, generous people whom are secure in their faith.,

Reactions: SGTiger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT