ADVERTISEMENT

Cord cutters help me out.

Jan 6, 2011
We've had directv service for years and I’m finally putting in the effort to cut the cord. Teach me how to football w/o a service provider. We are getting by fine with smart TVs streaming Netflix. So far this is all we need as we have small kids and not much time to watch anything other than kids stuff. I’m worried about how football season will go. Did some research and it looks like the ESPN app will not be a replacement for satellite/cable provider. Thanks for any help

We've had directv service for years and I’m finally putting in the effort to cut the cord. Teach me how to football w/o a service provider. We are getting by fine with smart TVs streaming Netflix. So far this is all we need as we have small kids and not much time to watch anything other than kids stuff. I’m worried about how football season will go. Did some research and it looks like the ESPN app will not be a replacement for satellite/cable provider. Thanks for any help
http://sling.com/

Or Directvnow

You'll still need to pay for one of the streaming services to get football. I did a comparison before last season and youtube tv offered the best combination of price & number of football channels. Most of the services have free trials, so you can try them out and see which one you like best.

Anyone tried YouTube TV? Considering that for football season. I get NBC and Fox through a cheap antenna and those will be good for NFL, but college games are mostly on ESPN. Have had some luck with reddit streams but those can be spotty.

Reactions: dickerj
Anyone tried YouTube TV? Considering that for football season. I get NBC and Fox through a cheap antenna and those will be good for NFL, but college games are mostly on ESPN. Have had some luck with reddit streams but those can be spotty.
Have had YouTube tv since last October. Zero problems. Unlimited dvr, all locals, and any sports channel you can think of

I used sling last year for football season. At that time it worked for me because of the dvr feature. I have heard that YouTube tv is the best now but not sure. Sling is only $25/month and the wonderful thing is you can stop anytime. Do the free trials and see which you like. Almost all of them will give you a week free.

Reactions: GOPtiger
YoutubeTV doesn’t have the NFL Network does it? That’s what has held me back from going to it. Other than that, it looks to be by far the best value.

Reactions: gcsoccer16
I have Directv Now and like it. All the streaming services have free trials. I recommend trying them all first and decide after that.

Reactions: gcsoccer16
I just canceled direct TV and got direct TV NOW. I bought two fire sticks w/ Alexa. Working great so far. With internet and DTVNOW it runs me about $100 a month total. Was paying about $200. I get all the ESPN and Foxsports channels I need. Also have the DTVNOW and WatchESPN on my mobile. Very satisfied so far.

I believe PSVue is a pretty good value The package I have is 49.99 (the just raised their prices this month) and you get 5 simultaneous streams. I only get CBS and I have to use an OTA antenna to get the rest of my locals stations.

Have had YouTube tv since last October. Zero problems. Unlimited dvr, all locals, and any sports channel you can think of

I assume you still get access to the WatchESPN app with YouTube Tv, does that count as one of the three streams you can run at any one time?

Now I’m not convinced at all...I pay about $140 per month for internet, home phone, and entertainment package tv.

And you pay a monthly internet fee of what.....$70?

$65 for 200 mbps. I actually got in on YouTube tv when it was still $35 per month so I’m grandfathered in to the old price.

It’s $100 for both but my spectrum bill was creeping up every year and was about to go to about $150 when I cut them off so it worked out

I assume you still get access to the WatchESPN app with YouTube Tv, does that count as one of the three streams you can run at any one time?

Yes you can use watch Espn and you would just select YouTube tv as your provider. I would also suggest downloading the YouTube tv app to your phone as you can watch live from there as well as que up show for your dvr while you are out and about

I have YouTube TV and love it. I bought the Harmony Elite remote by Logitech and its like I have my regular cable set up. I get local channels, DVR recordings, a kick ass guide, all the channels / sports packages.

Does not have NFL pack nor HBO but you can subscribe to those separately.

I have PSVue and really like it. Have had it for 2 years now. 5 streams at a time.

Get nfl network as well if you get the middle package. You can also just do this for football season, then cancel, and start again next fall

Another vote for Hulu with Live TV.

All the sports channels and wife gets her fix with A&E, HGTV, locals, etc.

Depending on what sort of a conscience you have you can watch anything for free with reddit cfb streams.

Reactions: Dackel
Hers a good article although its from February and may not be 100% accurate. Offers a good, thorough breakdown of each and seems to be impartial. This thread got me thinking because Im about to have to pull the trigger again with football season coming up. I think Im going with youtube TV. I have the youtube music subscription now and im pretty sure I get a break on price for TV.

https://www.businessinsider.com/str...-vue-fubo-2018-2#so-which-one-should-i-get-25

Went with directvnow because it was the only one with all the required CFB channels AND all my off season channels. Discovery,History,Velocity,Travel.

I have PSVue and really like it. Have had it for 2 years now. 5 streams at a time.

Get nfl network as well if you get the middle package. You can also just do this for football season, then cancel, and start again next fall
local cbs,nbc,fox?

The answer.

I believe PSVue is a pretty good value The package I have is 49.99 (the just raised their prices this month) and you get 5 simultaneous streams. I only get CBS and I have to use an OTA antenna to get the rest of my locals stations.

Why wouldn't you use YouTube TV and lose the antenna?

Reactions: wallaceb
local cbs,nbc,fox?
I’m in ATL, I have all 4 locals, don’t get CW (could care less about that) but gets tons of other, sec, ESPN,/2/U, fox sports, NFL network it’s pretty sweet for me

Also has 3 different Disneys if you have little kids which is nice

For those who have DTV Now are the Braves usually on FS1 or FS2? Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT