ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

She is definitely part of the story now, which is a shame because as you mentioned, she seems to have the best info when it comes to this.

I'm also curious as to once all this Murdaugh stuff is finished, what does she and her partner do? I guess they just reinvent themselves because it appears that the drama of the Murdaugh saga directly impacts their livelihoods.
They are already asking people to send in stories of corruption in the area.

She is definitely part of the story now, which is a shame because as you mentioned, she seems to have the best info when it comes to this.

I'm also curious as to once all this Murdaugh stuff is finished, what does she and her partner do? I guess they just reinvent themselves because it appears that the drama of the Murdaugh saga directly impacts their livelihoods.
I don't think they've thought that far...too wrapped up in the moment. But there is always another story to chase so I'm sure they will find something. Just need to stick to being journalists and not personalities.

FITS has had some interesting articles the last few days. Based on those reports, it sounds like certain people are ratting on other people that maybe the feds do not want to implicate.

FITS has had some interesting articles the last few days. Based on those reports, it sounds like certain people are ratting on other people that maybe the feds do not want to implicate.
Cliffs? The newest MM was pretty good (and sad) but no updates about case.

Reactions: yemassee
Cliffs? The newest MM was pretty good (and sad) but no updates about case.
They are basically saying there is now proof that more people were involved in the financial crimes than what has been reported. I believe they said RF had a recording of a bank meeting that implicated others, and that RF could have possibly been just following orders.

They are basically saying there is now proof that more people were involved in the financial crimes than what has been reported. I believe they said RF had a recording of a bank meeting that implicated others, and that RF could have possibly been just following orders.
FITNEWS also reporting:

"Multiple sources familiar with the motion – which was in the process of being redacted by Colleton County officials on Friday afternoon – claim it details how Smith allegedly failed a polygraph examination inquiring as to whether he had “anything to do with the murders.”

So … did Smith fail a polygraph? And specifically, did he fail a polygraph in which he was asked questions about whether he had any involvement in the murders?

Yes, according to multiple sources familiar with the status of the ongoing investigation.

In fact, Smith failed the polygraph “badly,” according to one source familiar with the examination.

According to the motion, Smith was asked the following questions during a May 5, 2022 polygraph examination conducted by captain Bryan Jones of the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED), the agency leading the investigation into the double homicide and a host of other alleged crimes linked to Murdaugh:

1) Did you shoot either of those people at that property on Moselle Road?
2) Did you shoot either of those people at that property on Moselle Road last June?
3) Were you present when either of those people were shot at that property on Moselle Road?

Deception was indicated in Smith’s responses to all three of these questions, according to my sources.

According to Murdaugh’s attorneys, Smith’s failed polygraph is relevant given the state’s plans to use him as a witness against Murdaugh in the upcoming trial.

“Smith decidedly failed a polygraph when questioned if he murdered Maggie and Paul,” Harpootlian and Griffin wrote. “Nevertheless, the attorney general has represented that the State intends to present Smith as a cooperating witness against Alex in the upcoming murder trial.”"

This would be important information for the defense if true. Im excited for the trial in January, because until then everything is just showboating, particularly from DH. With how much time it took to pull everything together, I got to believe that SLED and the prosecutors have their ducks in a row. But depending on how deep this stuff runs, it could be a massive game of musical chairs where everybody is trying to hide everything.

This would be important information for the defense if true. Im excited for the trial in January, because until then everything is just showboating, particularly from DH. With how much time it took to pull everything together, I got to believe that SLED and the prosecutors have their ducks in a row. But depending on how deep this stuff runs, it could be a massive game of musical chairs where everybody is trying to hide everything.
Prosecution can have all its ducks in a row, but it only takes a believable narrative from the defense to introduce reasonable doubt. Huge burden of proof and gilded tongue storytellers with courtroom experience and success can make the truth disappear in a hurry. Definitely will be a trial to follow.

Im not a fan of hers but Nancy Grace’s Murdaugh murder mystery is on Fox Business tonight. I stumbled across it and have seen and heard things I hadn’t before. Plus, she isn’t all yelly, so I keep watching. She’s in a boat with the Beaufort Water Search and Rescue now.

Who thinks AM is aquitted of the murder charges?
With the information regarding "Cousin Eddie's" failed polygraph coming to light it bring a question to mind for the legal experts out there: Can Alex still be found guilty of murder if Eddie is actually the one that killed them but did "on behalf" of Alex? Or is it a possibility Alex is charged with the wrong charge? Might be a stupid question but just got me thinking.

I'd imagine Dick is a very skilled orator and is going to have a field day in court with this information.

With the information regarding "Cousin Eddie's" failed polygraph coming to light it bring a question to mind for the legal experts out there: Can Alex still be found guilty of murder if Eddie is actually the one that killed them but did "on behalf" of Alex? Or is it a possibility Alex is charged with the wrong charge? Might be a stupid question but just got me thinking.

I'd imagine Dick is a very skilled orator and is going to have a field day in court with this information.
I also wonder if one could get a reduced sentence if two people were involved but one agreed to testify as to what happened, thereby implicating the other?

Who thinks AM is aquitted of the murder charges?
Based upon where the trial will be held (land of the Murdaughs where it's easy to tamper with a jury), the legendary reputation of his trial lawyer (DH), conflicting facts (two people present) giving rise to muddy evidence, and the higher burden of proof in a criminal trial (beyond a reasonable doubt), I think he won't be convicted of murder. If he's charged with conspiracy to commit murder or some other related charge, more likely he'll be convicted on those charges.

Unlike the murder charges, I think he goes down for the financial crimes and may serve out most of his life incarcerated.

Victory on Earth means little when AM faces judgment by God in Heaven. I'll settle, though, for his conscience eating him alive over the years and his family cutting him off from all contact and canteen money if he played any role in the deaths of his wife and/or son....making Hell start early for him.

I don't believe he has a conscience. He's conspired to cover up a lot of crimes, allegedly. Whether or not he gets convicted of the murders, I don't think he's getting out in his lifetime. Also, it will be interesting to see if his trial actually happens in Jan. If it does, that shows favors right there.

Polygraphs have been shown time and again to be unreliable, but this "is a big deal." DH will feast on it and, as others have said, spin this to the high heavens to create reasonable doubt. We won't ultimately know until the trial what all the true evidence is. Perhaps Eddie failed the poly AND there is other physical evidence connecting AM to the murders. AM might've pulled the trigger, AM might've called the hit, AM might've been sitting in a rocker on the front porch when it all went down. Noone knows. But IF Eddie did it, he did it at the instruction of someone else.

Another great podcast with audio of Carmen Mullen trying to entrap a neighbor. She may end up in prison as well.

I agree with @yemassee I think Murdaugh Will get off of murder charges by some technicality. But will still serve life in prison, If he doesn’t commit suicide.

Another great podcast with audio of Carmen Mullen trying to entrap a neighbor. She may end up in prison as well.

I agree with @yemassee I think Murdaugh Will get off of murder charges by some technicality. But will still serve life in prison, If he doesn’t commit suicide.
I think Eddie the attorney probably needed to be locked up (or at least put in a safe place) but the audio of judge Mullen did not help her. I am more troubled with the other things she did.

Fits news has recorded the most recent court activity and they told us the timeline the defense has:
8:44 Paul's phone records Alex and Maggie in a 'convivial conversation'
9:06 All activity ceases on Maggie's and Paul's phone... no more outgoing texts or movement etc... coinciding with when Alex starts his car and goes to his parents house.
10:07 Alex calls 9:11 to report finding the bodies.

More from a Fits News article ... there is a witness claiming that when Alex arrived at his parents house he was carrying a blue raincoat into his parent backyard before heading back to Moselle.

Last edited:
Fits news has recorded the most recent court activity and they told us the timeline the defense has:
8:44 Paul's phone records Alex and Maggie in a 'convivial conversation'
9:06 All activity ceases on Maggie's and Paul's phone... no more outgoing texts or movement etc... coinciding with when Alex starts his car and goes to his parents house.
10:07 Alex calls 9:11 to report finding the bodies.

More from a Fits News article ... there is a witness claiming that when Alex arrived at his parents house he was carrying a blue raincoat into his parent backyard before heading back to Moselle.
The last article quoted Dick H as implying that he and Jim Griffin were not making any money off of their defense of AM, but they did not want to lose money, which is why they were liquidating his 401K to pay experts. Certainly they aren't doing this for free???????

The last article quoted Dick H as implying that he and Jim Griffin were not making any money off of their defense of AM, but they did not want to lose money, which is why they were liquidating his 401K to pay experts. Certainly they aren't doing this for free???????
I read that too. DH and his team are brilliant strategists. We only hear their public outfacing narrative designed to influence public opinion and shape their ability to access AM's 401k assets. They had to walk the tightrope to claim AM is broke to access those funds and convince the other parties in interest (the receiver and those who have likely claims against AM) to sign off on access to the 401k funds.

DH secured $600k of the $900k, so if DH manages the litigation costs he may be able to bake in a nice profit as he bills his costs. The profit might not be obvious to the casual observer. Another possibility is that third parties supplement payment of AMs legal expenses through a creative mechanism (aka other legal work). A third possibility is that DH is going to do this at cost because of other future business of AMs alleged network of conspirators. The public will never know the truth likely because of the attorney-client privilege.

What I cannot wrap my head around is why AM is putting up such a fight because even if he gets off on the murder charges, I believe he will not escape the financial crimes and will likely spend the rest of his life incarcerated. If his 401k assets could pass through his estate to Buster at his death, why wouldn't he let that happen, particularly if he was "willing" to die for Buster to get his life insurance?

This is a very complex puzzle. I'm in to see how the yarn unravels.

I read that too. DH and his team are brilliant strategists. We only hear their public outfacing narrative designed to influence public opinion and shape their ability to access AM's 401k assets. They had to walk the tightrope to claim AM is broke to access those funds and convince the other parties in interest (the receiver and those who have likely claims against AM) to sign off on access to the 401k funds.

DH secured $600k of the $900k, so if DH manages the litigation costs he may be able to bake in a nice profit as he bills his costs. The profit might not be obvious to the casual observer. Another possibility is that third parties supplement payment of AMs legal expenses through a creative mechanism (aka other legal work). A third possibility is that DH is going to do this at cost because of other future business of AMs alleged network of conspirators. The public will never know the truth likely because of the attorney-client privilege.

What I cannot wrap my head around is why AM is putting up such a fight because even if he gets off on the murder charges, I believe he will not escape the financial crimes and will likely spend the rest of his life incarcerated. If his 401k assets could pass through his estate to Buster at his death, why wouldn't he let that happen, particularly if he was "willing" to die for Buster to get his life insurance?

This is a very complex puzzle. I'm in to see how the yarn unravels.
My guess is that he believes if he can escape the murder charges that he will eventually be let out for the other stuff. Certainly not soon, but eventually when it all dies down. If he is convicted of the murders then he probably spends the rest of his life in jail and none of the other stuff matters.

My guess is that he believes if he can escape the murder charges that he will eventually be let out for the other stuff. Certainly not soon, but eventually when it all dies down. If he is convicted of the murders then he probably spends the rest of his life in jail and none of the other stuff matters.
I think they'll get him off on the murder charges (burden of proof and having a jury of 12 works in his favor). In a fair judicial civil proceeding and a much lower burden of proof and so many cases, I will be amazed if he completely clears those cases. Who knows.....we'll find out.

I think they'll get him off on the murder charges (burden of proof and having a jury of 12 works in his favor). In a fair judicial civil proceeding and a much lower burden of proof and so many cases, I will be amazed if he completely clears those cases. Who knows.....we'll find out.
I think he is found guilty for the financial crimes because it appears there is a clear paper trail. I just don’t think he will spend the rest of his life in prison if those are the only charges that stick.

Reactions: alphamale621
If he beats the murders, he still has a chance of serving his time in a lower security or even federal prison

I think he is found guilty for the financial crimes because it appears there is a clear paper trail. I just don’t think he will spend the rest of his life in prison if those are the only charges that stick.
You may well be right, but I hope you are wrong if he is convicted. They say that a drunk driver drives many times before he's caught. AM feels like he floats on the tip of an iceberg of crimes (no idea if this is correct/incorrect) with only those crimes being charged when beneath the surface the iceberg of crimes is expansive.

HBO trailer looks good but wonder what’s in there that hasn’t already been discussed. New MM episode had some good info including reports of the splatter matter.
I recently watched a CNN special on the Murdaugh saga. MM and the blevy of attorneys were in it. It was a rehash of information for those who've been following the story. Doubtful anything new is in the HBO special other than perhaps a different opinion.

Just watched first episode of HBO. I had wondered what new could be in as well. There is some new info at least for me but it’s the video footage and family interviews that give a new fresh perspective on what happened in the boat crash.

Anthony Cook, wow if anyone knows this fine young gentleman. What an incredible attitude and perspective he has! That’s a man that will be able to handle anything that comes his way in life. I’m blown away by the wisdom he shared on his feelings of Mallory and Paul both.

I’m a Christian, not one to try and force my views on others. But there is no doubt Anthony has the Lord in his heart. I can’t say I know I have that same Christlike love in my heart. What a wake up call to look at one’s own self.

But if you want to see an example of Christlike love, forgiveness, a kind heart. That’s the man. Don’t know him or know anyone that does know him but I’m proud of that dude. Can’t fake that. Genuine! Whenever he’s able he’ll make a damn good father and husband.

Just watched first episode of HBO. I had wondered what new could be in as well. There is some new info at least for me but it’s the video footage and family interviews that give a new fresh perspective on what happened in the boat crash.

Anthony Cook, wow if anyone knows this fine young gentleman. What an incredible attitude and perspective he has! That’s a man that will be able to handle anything that comes his way in life. I’m blown away by the wisdom he shared on his feelings of Mallory and Paul both.

I’m a Christian, not one to try and force my views on others. But there is no doubt Anthony has the Lord in his heart. I can’t say I know I have that same Christlike love in my heart. What a wake up call to look at one’s own self.

But if you want to see an example of Christlike love, forgiveness, a kind heart. That’s the man. Don’t know him or know anyone that does know him but I’m proud of that dude. Can’t fake that. Genuine! Whenever he’s able he’ll make a damn good father and husband.
The whole thing is so unfortunate.

Looks like Lafitte's trial is starting this week...will be very interesting to see what comes out, as it sounds like his defense team is going to throw some people under the bus.

Reactions: skinnytig
Both the Dateline & HBO documentaries were extremely similar. Focused a lot on the boating crash. Only new pieces of info for me was about Alex’s alibi, I never knew how many holes were in his story.

Don’t see how he’ll skate on the murder charges but I guess anything is possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT