ADVERTISEMENT

COVID just hit Columbia in a big way

Thanks. She is asymptomatic.

I just heard it was now 40. It came from Greenville kids that got it from a dad chaperoning. They are thankful that at least those who tested positive contacted everyone else.

Yes. Heard it came from Greenville dad.

Oh god no, the world is over. The hospitals must have a waiting time of 2 weeks to get in.
We’re these kids in Litchfield this week OR there last week
@Howard's Jock it's your alma mater that's getting hammered. Two houses full at the beach. Probably 20 or more positive....all who have had the test have come back positive.

Were these kids in Litchfield this week OR there last week?
Do you know if they were tested while at the beach? If so, did they stay at the beach OR go home?
For an interested parent.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
We’re these kids in Litchfield this week OR there last week

Were these kids in Litchfield this week OR there last week?
Do you know if they were tested while at the beach? If so, did they stay at the beach OR go home?
For an interested parent.
They were there last week and many tests have returned (as I am told, every test has been positive) and others are still getting tested or tests have not returned yet. They've returned home.

Healthy kids 16-22 that get this are likely asympotomatic or mild flu at worst. Lots of spring break college kids tested positive from trips to Mexico and Florida. None of them died and despite the media hysteria predicting it there were no confirmed super spreader events from spring break.

Kids are going to get and spread it this fall if they don’t get it over the summer. But we are not going to see spikes in deaths of young people.

Story goes that the Dad and his son knew they had the virus and had a party anyway down at their beach house (Debordieu) and invited all these high schoolers over. If that info is correct, dad and his son sound really cool. Of course, I am getting this info from a 17 year old, so there’s that. Thankfully mine didn’t attend!

Achieving herd immunity without a vaccine would lead to hundreds of thousands of US deaths. It’s also impossible to achieve reasonable herd immunity by only letting young people get it and keeping old folks at home. We’re seeing elevated case numbers, percent positives, and total deaths since gradually opening back up. Imagine what that looks like when concerts, movie theaters, bars, clubs, and sporting events get back going. Bigger the crowd/closer the quarters - the greater the risk. I’m glad things are slowly opening back up, and yes these young kids should be ok. But we don’t know how many have underlying illnesses or went home and spent time this week with parents and grandparents with health issues....that’s going to be the problem.

Reactions: fcctiger12
But deaths are not going down in SC. Eleven were reported yesterday. Hopefully data will improve, but for now the % testing positive is up, new cases are up, and hospitalizations are up. We can debate the implications of the data, but in SC the fact is that the situation is not improving. That’s does not mean no football or any closings, but it does mean if you have an underlying condition you better be careful.

But deaths are not going down in SC. Eleven were reported yesterday. Hopefully data will improve, but for now the % testing positive is up, new cases are up, and hospitalizations are up. We can debate the implications of the data, but in SC the fact is that the situation is not improving. That’s does not mean no football or any closings, but it does mean if you have an underlying condition you better be careful.
Actually deaths are going down in SC. Yesterday 11 were reported, but only one was on Sunday. Timing of reports misled you. After today, you'll see a nice drop in the trend line (unless 17 are reported for today, and that's not happening).

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Hey @gooddogjudge, thank you for sharing and keep us posted on how things unfold.

I'm not sure how we've gotten to the point where some think the virus is so non-threatening that stuff like that shouldn't be shared, but I considered it useful and I know others did as well.

Sort of sad that a post meant to inform is assumed by others to be some sort of political statement or one designed to induce panic. But I know that @colatiger, @Howard's Jock and others are here in the middle of it...thought it would be good to share. I'm not advicating for lockdown or mass hysteria or everyone having a group hug without masks...was simply trying to share what I believe to be a accurate information.

FWIW I have asthma and have worn a mask but twice during all of this. When my time comes, my time comes.

Just checking in to see if South Carolina as a state is safe to drive in. Heard there was a zombie apocalypse yesterday close to 20 people and I just don’t want to risk my family driving through. If anyone can help, please let us know.

Sort of sad that a post meant to inform is assumed by others to be some sort of political statement or one designed to induce panic. But I know that @colatiger, @Howard's Jock and others are here in the middle of it...thought it would be good to share. I'm not advicating for lockdown or mass hysteria or everyone having a group hug without masks...was simply trying to share what I believe to be a accurate information.

FWIW I have asthma and have worn a mask but twice during all of this. When my time comes, my time comes.
I live in Charleston and haven’t stepped foot in Columbia more than 10 times in 20 years fwiw. But I hope that all my fellow Skyhawks are safe. I’m just waiting on them to change the name of the school. James H Hammond could make Tillman blush

I live in Charleston and haven’t stepped foot in Columbia more than 10 times in 20 years fwiw. But I hope that all my fellow Skyhawks are safe. I’m just waiting on them to change the name of the school. James H Hammond could make Tillman blush

Oh. My bad. I have in my mind the neighborhood in which you stated you grew up . Thought you were still here.

Reactions: Howard's Jock

By the way, I think at least 10% of Hammonf graduating seniors were black....when i grew up they wouldn't allow a black person to attend.

By the way, I think at least 10% of Hammonf graduating seniors were black....when i grew up they wouldn't allow a black person to attend.
I gave a guy named tony a tour in third grade (as much as you give a tour at that age) which would be 1986 or so. He was the only black guy on campus or would have been. Confederate flag still flew on the way in. He didn’t attend. In high school, Alex English kids were 90% of the black population it seems. Not saying it’s right mind you.

With that many people in a house.... LOL they 100% all shared cars, food, beds, coolers, sunscreen, played games, and did some "other" activities young folks do, etc. without distancing or sanitizing. All high touch, close proximity activities. Not surprised.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
From what I learned on TI we don't need to wear masks because it isnt contagious. So that leads me to one conclusion... there must have been a whole hell of a lot of knock... knock... knockin da boots happening in those houses.

giphy.gif

Boy I see that asymptomatic is now a huge buzzword for deniers. Many of these people could be pre-symptomatic and not asymptomatic. Pre-symptomatic spread is still the main reason this is spreading so fast. The incubation period is anywhere from 5 to 14 days. Many times people do have symptoms and don't realize it because they are not very bothersome.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
There was some national story about crowded beach houses in New Jersey being sources of outbreaks yesterday. FWIW.

Its showing up on construction jobs all over the upstate.. got 5 jobs going right now and 4 of them have had positive cases. Majority of positives are asymptomatic.
We just had 2 positive test from a jobsite in Atlanta. 1 from the GC and 1 from a subcontractor. The GC has shut the job down on interior work. Exterior work can continue.

We are mainly interior so I made the call to hold off this week and part of the next to let predecessors get back ahead of us. For me it's just a reason to be more efficient when we come back so we can finish all at once rather than the GC wanting punch completed here and there every other day

Reactions: Idoconcrete
I haven't known anyone to have it, but now I know about 14.

I know a business that just had multiple people test positive for it but they aren’t even sick enough to stop working from home. Almost everyone I know that has gotten it that is not elderly has very mild symptoms and only got tested because they were required because of their job. Most have mild fever, body aches, loss of taste or smell.

One states everything smelled like bleach and they didn’t use bleach and another said they could only taste salt

Just so y'all are aware, kids from Christ Church went to the same beach and hung out with the kids from Hammond. They have 12 positives so far including some chaperones.

Story goes that the Dad and his son knew they had the virus and had a party anyway down at their beach house (Debordieu) and invited all these high schoolers over. If that info is correct, dad and his son sound really cool. Of course, I am getting this info from a 17 year old, so there’s that. Thankfully mine didn’t attend!

So the high schoolers were staying in Litchfield but got invited to a party in debordieu and that’s where everyone got it.

LOL I’d kick that kid’s and his dad’s ass if they knowingly spread it to me and one of my loved ones got really sick. Who does that?

Boy I see that asymptomatic is now a huge buzzword for deniers. Many of these people could be pre-symptomatic and not asymptomatic. Pre-symptomatic spread is still the main reason this is spreading so fast. The incubation period is anywhere from 5 to 14 days. Many times people do have symptoms and don't realize it because they are not very bothersome.
Thank you...

Reactions: cjtiger300
Actually deaths are going down in SC. Yesterday 11 were reported, but only one was on Sunday. Timing of reports misled you. After today, you'll see a nice drop in the trend line (unless 17 are reported for today, and that's not happening).
Yes, there were 17 reported yesterday and only 1 on Sunday, but the days before that were Saturday 7, then 13, 7, 17, and 1 for a total of 57. I don’t see a downward trend there. In the last five seven/day units beginning on May 4 and ending yesterday, the 7-day death counts were 56, 60, 49, 68, 57. I don’t see a trend that is down. The weekly mean was 57. There a lot of ways to display and analyze the data. “Lies, damn lies, and statistics”. I am sure we all hope it goes down and all of us get back to the activities that we enjoy including Clemson football.

ADVERTISEMENT