ADVERTISEMENT

Covid test results

Lost taste and smell for 9 days and my test came back negative. Daughter tested positive two weeks ago and was running marathons in the backyard all weekend long like she was training for the Olympics. Ive given up at this point

One of my employees had a fever, so she went and got tested for Covid today. The test came back negative. They told her it was surely a false negative. Then they instructed her to come back in a couple of days and try again. What kind of scam are we actually running here?
If she got her results back in the same day then she got the rapid test which is generally less reliable. This is why there were a high number of false positives in the NFL/college football this year.

The more reliable test takes a couple days to come back with results.

If she got her results back in the same day then she got the rapid test which is generally less reliable. This is why there were a high number of false positives in the NFL/college football this year.

The more reliable test takes a couple days to come back with results.
Yep and if OP tested after 9 days of no taste or smell, it is highly possible that the disease was not in his system still. I'm not advocating that the testing is perfect by any stretch, but if you get tested too early or too late, you may have results that are not consistent with what you expect.

We had an outbreak in our office back in the summer due to relying too much on negative tests that were done too early.

My wifes grandparents had it. 85 and 87 years old.

The grandmother had multiple symptoms. Headache, fever, muscle aches, chills, diarrhea, and a lot of congestion. She got tested at the absolute peak of her symptoms and it came back negative. During that same time the grandfather slept for like 3 days straight and only got up to shower but that was it. They didn't test him.

A week later the grandmother was still having some symptoms but not nearly as bad. She was feeling much better. Went to get tested again because it was still lingering a bit just to be sure she could go in public again. Tested positive. What the heck?

So she tested negative when she felt like crap but tested positive when she felt mostly better.

Both were lab nasal swabs that they claim to be very accurate.

DHEC makes me roll my eyes as well.

Wild swings of 18-35% positive rate during the holidays. (That makes no sense)
2-3 weeks ago they said they changed how it was calculated.
Immediately the % positive rates were cut in half.
But they didn't go back and retroactively change the numbers so who knows what it really was.
Today they are claiming 4.6% positive (actually 2 days prior, Saturday's number).

But they didn't go back and retroactively change the numbers so who knows what it really was.
Today they are claiming 4.6% positive (actually 2 days prior, Saturday's number).
The whole recalculating the numbers was absolutely maddening. The numbers scared the daylights out of people for months. Then they change up how they count the positive tests. So were the initial numbers skewed upwards or the most recent numbers skewed downward? I am in no way an expert but damn a little common sense here seems pretty obvious.

This has been the case since March of last year. false negatives and false positives are stupid high in numbers.

Think about it for a minute. Given the high percentage of actual unknown numbers, the state governments are making economy and life impacting decisions on numbers that are inaccurate. Specifically the impact to schools and sports. Follow the science my ass. The science is inaccurate, and has been since the onset.

The whole recalculating the numbers was absolutely maddening. The numbers scared the daylights out of people for months. Then they change up how they count the positive tests. So were the initial numbers skewed upwards or the most recent numbers skewed downward? I am in no way an expert but damn a little common sense here seems pretty obvious.
I don't know a ton about SC, but they were apparently reporting the percentage of people with positive results rather than reporting the percentage of positive tests. So you'd get a good bit higher percent positive rate if people with positive tests are getting more than one test, as they typically do when you take a rapid test. I did just read that SC is going back and recalculating historical percentages. Also, the reason they changed it is to be better in line with federal guidelines from the CDC, which just about every other state has been using as far as I know.

I don't know a ton about SC, but they were apparently reporting the percentage of people with positive results rather than reporting the percentage of positive tests. So you'd get a good bit higher percent positive rate if people with positive tests are getting more than one test, as they typically do when you take a rapid test. I did just read that SC is going back and recalculating historical percentages. Also, the reason they changed it is to be better in line with federal guidelines from the CDC, which just about every other state has been using as far as I know.
That is exactly how I interrupted the article I read. Which leads me to ask "Why count the results differently in the 1st place"?

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
This has been the case since March of last year. false negatives and false positives are stupid high in numbers.

Think about it for a minute. Given the high percentage of actual unknown numbers, the state governments are making economy and life impacting decisions on numbers that are inaccurate. Specifically the impact to schools and sports. Follow the science my ass. The science is inaccurate, and has been since the onset.
False positives are actually not common with the PCR test. False negatives a little more common. The risk of a false negative changes based on when you test. I know false negatives are more likely with the rapid tests.

The one symptom that I have observed appears to be 100% predictive of having COVID is the loss of taste/smell. Every single time I hear someone having that symptom they end up having COVID. I tested positive on a Thursday, My wife lost her taste/smell a couple of days later. She got tested and was negative. They told her to come back for another test in 2-3 days since the incubation period can be longer. A couple of days later she started feeling really bad and then tested positive.

On the other hand, another friend woke up late one night around the Super Bowl with all of the symptoms, except loss of smell/taste. He absolutely couldnt breathe and the doctors thought it was COVID and put him in the COVID ward. He spent almost a week in the hospital and ended up having a severe case of pneumonia. He was tested 5 separate times for COVID and was negative each time.

A nasopharyngeal PCR test I trust as it has sensitivity and specificity >90% which is what most medical tests attempt to achieve. This test should feel like getting your brain tickled and takes anywhere from 30 min (if in an ED and ran STAT) to 2-8 hours depending on your location and resources (rural vs academic medical center).

Pretty much every protocol I have encountered has a rapid test positive result having a reflex PCR to ensure not a false positive. But majority of what I know is related to an academic medical center in NC

My initial Point wasn't really about false negatives and false positives. I don't like the idea of trying to convince people to come back and retake tests until they get a positive.

Reactions: tallulahtiger30319
The one symptom that I have observed appears to be 100% predictive of having COVID is the loss of taste/smell. Every single time I hear someone having that symptom they end up having COVID. I tested positive on a Thursday, My wife lost her taste/smell a couple of days later. She got tested and was negative. They told her to come back for another test in 2-3 days since the incubation period can be longer. A couple of days later she started feeling really bad and then tested positive.

On the other hand, another friend woke up late one night around the Super Bowl with all of the symptoms, except loss of smell/taste. He absolutely couldnt breathe and the doctors thought it was COVID and put him in the COVID ward. He spent almost a week in the hospital and ended up having a severe case of pneumonia. He was tested 5 separate times for COVID and was negative each time.

My wife lost her taste/smell and tested negative 4 times in the two weeks she quarantined.

Govt has pulled the plug on this thing. They got what they needed from it. Several full covid-flu symptoms people I know have tested negative lately myself included. It’s laughable.

Covid is real, no doubt. But the Lib misinformation package surrounding it has been far worse for the United States of America.

One of my employees had a fever, so she went and got tested for Covid today. The test came back negative. They told her it was surely a false negative. Then they instructed her to come back in a couple of days and try again. What kind of scam are we actually running here?
They advised her correctly. My brother got a test on the day he started a fever. Over the next couple of days he lost taste, had massive headache, cough developed, congestion, nausea, O2 leveles declined, etc. Doctor told him his test would certainly come back positive. Four days later he was in worsening condition and got his test result back. It was negative. His doctor told him it was certainly a false negative and to get tested again. He did. In the meantime by day 7 he now had all of the symptoms and his oxygen dropped below 92%, the number the doctor told him to go to the ER with. He couldnt keep anything down and was confused. He went by ambulance and when he got there was basically in a fight for his life. Kidney failure, liver enzymes 7 times high normal, DDimer numbers through the roof, indicating clotting, advanced ARDS in both lungs with O2 now in 80s, etc. They did a COVID test, which they had to wait to get results back, and started him on COVID protocols. The next day after being admitted to the hospital, day 8, he got his second test result back from day 4 as positive. The hospital test also came back positive the next day.

Bottom line is your employee doesn't need to be in the office with symptoms. My brother got it from someone who came to work with symptoms and wouldnt wear a mask. She only tested after her mother inlaw came back positive, a week later. She got a positive test result the day my brother started a fever. False negatives are prevalent. If she tests negative again and is symptom free and has no fever for a couple of days, she could return, but dont risk it on a single test.

My brother was 42, healthy as a horse, didnt take a single medication. Almost 2 months after being discharged he has scarring in both lungs and still has a cough and gets winded very easily. We are hoping for evidence of scarring in lungs going away on next scan in 3 months.

They advised her correctly. My brother got a test on the day he started a fever. Over the next couple of days he lost taste, had massive headache, cough developed, congestion, nausea, O2 leveles declined, etc. Doctor told him his test would certainly come back positive. Four days later he was in worsening condition and got his test result back. It was negative. His doctor told him it was certainly a false positive and to get tested again. He did. In the meantime by day 7 he now had all of the symptoms and his oxygen dropped below 92%, the number the doctor told him to go to the ER with. He couldnt keep anything down and was confused. He went by ambulance and when he got there was basically in a fight for his life. Kidney failure, liver enzymes 7 times high normal, DDimer numbers through the roof, indicating clotting, advanced ARDS in both lungs with O2 now in 80s, etc. They did a COVID test, which they had to wait to get results back, and started him on COVID protocols. The next day after being admitted to the hospital, day 8, he got his second test result back from day 4 as positive. The hospital test also came back positive the next day.

Bottom line is your employee doesn't need to be in the office with symptoms. False negatives are prevalent. If she tests negative again and is symptom free and has no fever for a couple of days, she could return, but dont risk it on a single test.

My brother was 42, healthy as a horse, didnt take a single medication. Almost 2 months after being discharged he has scarring in both lungs and still has a cough and gets winded very easily. We are hoping for evidence of scarring in lungs going away on next scan in 3 months.

The test has nothing to do with it. She can't come to work with symptoms regardless. I'm not trying to get her back at work. Telling someone they definitely have a disease even after they test negative is irresponsible. That's what THEY told her. They didn't say just come back to be sure. They said it was definitely a false negative.

• Wow
Lost taste and smell for 9 days and my test came back negative. Daughter tested positive two weeks ago and was running marathons in the backyard all weekend long like she was training for the Olympics. Ive given up at this point
I tested negative after having a few days of minor sinus issues. The negative test was followed by 12 straight nights of a fever and night sweats. This happened on Dec 18th thru Dec. 30th. Last monday I tested positive for antibodies. My sense of smell still has not returned. My uncle spent 10 days in the hospital after receiving a negative test. A year later and testing is still not reliable.

is it true they’re using a test developed in the 80’s and it’s incorrect up to 30%?
I don't know when the test was developed, but the accuracy rate is only 50% at best, and I've read in some more aggressive articles that even 50% is "rounding up". The test is worthless, utterly worthless.

I tested negative after having a few days of minor sinus issues. The negative test was followed by 12 straight nights of a fever and night sweats. This happened on Dec 18th thru Dec. 30th. Last monday I tested positive for antibodies. My sense of smell still has not returned. My uncle spent 10 days in the hospital after receiving a negative test. A year later and testing is still not reliable.
I'm more convinced than ever that I had it back in November/December of '19. I had never been sick like that before, not from a severity standpoint, but the duration. I was sick for about a month, and I was seriously worried that I would not be better in time to go to NOLA.

You guys realize there are things out they're besides covid 19 that have most of the same symptoms right? The various flu strains and food-born pathogens didn't pack up and go home.

Reactions: Stoneynsc
Or...follow me here....maybe it’s possible your employee just caught a bad case of that W2 flu. If so, he’ll be back in a couple days after she burns through that refund.

I kept noticing on the % positive reporting for SC it would be around 3 times what Georgia and NC were. I knew that couldn’t be accurate. Turns out, as you stated, they were using very different methods in GA and NC than SC was.

That was me...got the rapid and regular test done at the same time...both came back positive.

I'm not discounting the deaths of anyone that died from covid not matter what that number may be, but we have more than that many people die of heart disease and and cancer individually every year. Why are we not spending trillions of dollars a year on these diseases that cause more deaths every single year? What we are doing in most states is absurd.

Reactions: Tiger at State
My wifes grandparents had it. 85 and 87 years old.

The grandmother had multiple symptoms. Headache, fever, muscle aches, chills, diarrhea, and a lot of congestion. She got tested at the absolute peak of her symptoms and it came back negative. During that same time the grandfather slept for like 3 days straight and only got up to shower but that was it. They didn't test him.

A week later the grandmother was still having some symptoms but not nearly as bad. She was feeling much better. Went to get tested again because it was still lingering a bit just to be sure she could go in public again. Tested positive. What the heck?

So she tested negative when she felt like crap but tested positive when she felt mostly better.

Both were lab nasal swabs that they claim to be very accurate.
So uhhh.... you just described the problem ... that’s why where we are...

You can only do so much with a highly contagious disease that has a “potentially” long incubation period. It’s also possible she was of a small% offalse negatives. Everyone just assumes 99% effective means it’s 100% effective.

Things are getting better so let’s just hope that trend continues.

Govt has pulled the plug on this thing. They got what they needed from it. Several full covid-flu symptoms people I know have tested negative lately myself included. It’s laughable.

Covid is real, no doubt. But the Lib misinformation package surrounding it has been far worse for the United States of America.
No one provided more misinformation than Trump did. Fact.

They advised her correctly. My brother got a test on the day he started a fever. Over the next couple of days he lost taste, had massive headache, cough developed, congestion, nausea, O2 leveles declined, etc. Doctor told him his test would certainly come back positive. Four days later he was in worsening condition and got his test result back. It was negative. His doctor told him it was certainly a false negative and to get tested again. He did. In the meantime by day 7 he now had all of the symptoms and his oxygen dropped below 92%, the number the doctor told him to go to the ER with. He couldnt keep anything down and was confused. He went by ambulance and when he got there was basically in a fight for his life. Kidney failure, liver enzymes 7 times high normal, DDimer numbers through the roof, indicating clotting, advanced ARDS in both lungs with O2 now in 80s, etc. They did a COVID test, which they had to wait to get results back, and started him on COVID protocols. The next day after being admitted to the hospital, day 8, he got his second test result back from day 4 as positive. The hospital test also came back positive the next day.

Bottom line is your employee doesn't need to be in the office with symptoms. My brother got it from someone who came to work with symptoms and wouldnt wear a mask. She only tested after her mother inlaw came back positive, a week later. She got a positive test result the day my brother started a fever. False negatives are prevalent. If she tests negative again and is symptom free and has no fever for a couple of days, she could return, but dont risk it on a single test.

Hope your brother's result are good after the next scan.

My wife had contacted it. So I got tested the day after she got her results so that I could return to work. Came back negative. And probably was. But, I couldn’t help but think how it was way to early for me to be tested. I could have had it and not had any symptoms but tested too soon. But, who knows. I do know that I had banged a chick with covid and lived to tell the tale.

I'm not discounting the deaths of anyone that died from covid not matter what that number may be, but we have more than that many people die of heart disease and and cancer individually every year. Why are we not spending trillions of dollars a year on these diseases that cause more deaths every single year? What we are doing in most states is absurd.
COVID19 is the #1 killer in America each of the last 3 months, well ahead of heart disease which is the next leading cause of death.

Heart disease is not contagious. A person with heart disease can't walk up to you in a store, church, workplace, etc. and give you heart disease. As a result, the economic and social impacts of COVID19 on our lives are far more devastating.

ADVERTISEMENT