ADVERTISEMENT

Debate observation

TON

Valles Marineris
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
Biden needs to practice watching his opponent while he’s being briefed by his people on his earpiece. Trump can’t stop interrupting and Wallace didn’t have the stones to control the whole damn thing.

Probably should be in the Round Table.

People learn nothing from debates. This one is no exception.

Reactions: GoodWord28
The thing that I find so frustrating about these debates is that somehow the people on stage always think it's their job to run our country in every way and area and fix every problem. It's just not their job. They are not our overlords and they don't know better than we do. I just don't understand why people would want a government that will be responsible for fixing all their problems. They all need to read our Declaration of Independence, Federalist Papers and most importantly, our Constitution.

Probably should be in the Round Table.

People learn nothing from debates. This one is no exception.

Absolutely ridiculous if you can’t discuss it on this forum. You can keep everything in one thread.

It was an absolute embarrassment of a debate for sure. I do think people have easily forgotten though that four years ago we got the same Trump on stage for the most part. He is a firecracker, that’s just who he is. Both in my opinion were absolutely horrible.

My two biggest issues:

-Trump taking a poor shot at Biden for his education and being dumb

-Biden ducking the packing the courts question

Then again, who really goes into a debate not knowing who they are going to vote for, especially this election?

vf7vyN0.jpg

The thing that I find so frustrating about these debates is that somehow the people on stage always think it's their job to run our country in every way and area and fix every problem. It's just not their job. They are not our overlords and they don't know better than we do. I just don't understand why people would want a government that will be responsible for fixing all their problems. They all need to read our Declaration of Independence, Federalist Papers and most importantly, our Constitution.

I think that Trump understands this. I am being sincere. However the ignorant "mob" doesn't... and Trump needs votes so he has to pander in this way. Biden panders as well in this way (and in a lot of others, IMHO). Read many of the comments on this site and you will find that so many don't understand the separation of powers, federalism and don't really believe in individual freedom, responsibility and self-determination.

Reactions: TigerGrowls
My popcorn was good. The debate wasn’t very presidential, but it was entertaining. Trump‘s strategy was clearly to rattle Biden and get him to completely lose it. Biden didn’t do great and clearly was lost at times, but Chris Wallace baled him out repeatedly and he held up better than I thought he would. Not sure he could have lasted another 30m.

I just found it sad that we have someone that is clearly entering senility in a position to win, not on his own merit or capabilities, but just because of personalities and media fuel. This country is a long way from the Reagan years.

Absolutely ridiculous if you can’t discuss it on this forum. You can keep everything in one thread.

It was an absolute embarrassment of a debate for sure. I do think people have easily forgotten though that four years ago we got the same Trump on stage for the most part. He is a firecracker, that’s just who he is. Both in my opinion were absolutely horrible.

My two biggest issues:

Then again, who really goes into a debate not knowing who they are going to vote for, especially this election?

My bad. I thought that this wasn't posted in the Round Table. Sorry.

I've stated my opinions on the debate in multiple other posts.

Last edited:

My two biggest issues:

I don't remember Trump doing anything like this 4 years ago. It's one thing to be combative. It's another to act like a child.

I lean pretty heavily right but is it too late to put up someone else? Damn near literally anyone else?

That was an absolute epic meltdown from Trump. There's no other way around it.

Amen, I wanted to gag when I hear each one of them blame the other administration for something that happened in this country. Especially Biden blaming Trump for 7million covid infections and 200,000 deaths. Yeah, the President can stop that from happening. And I swear I thought I heard Biden say 1 out of 1,000 African Americans had died from covid and it will be 1 out of 500 by the end of the year? Yikes.

Reactions: bucknell95
Some on here think its fake news but based on numerous polls, trump needs to make a comeback to beat biden. There is no way tonight helped that cause.

And that isn't even a sign that Biden did great.

I don’t buy that at all. I think there is definitely something to be said about the silent majority. If you speak out on social media or any platform that you are pro Trump you will get hammered. I think the rioting has helped him for sure.

Biden pretty much saying he would shut schools and the country down in my opinion hurt him. You cannot do that.

Then again, I don’t think anyone can honestly predict who will win and feel 100% good about it.

One thing of note. Trump mentioned we may not know for months because of all the mail in votes. This country cannot take that. Just cannot have it. It would be like a balloon bursting at some point.

Last edited:
The bottom line is Trump will win on Election Day but have the election stolen from him in the next week with all of those mail in ballots. And that’s when the fun begins.

I don’t buy that at all. I think there is definitely something to be said about the silent majority. If you speak out on social media or any platform that you are pro Trump you will get hammered. I think the rioting has helped him for sure.

Biden pretty much saying he would shut schools and the country down in my opinion hurt him. You cannot do that.

Then again, I don’t think anyone can honestly predict who will win and feel 100% good about it.

One thing of note. Trump mentioned we may not know for months because of all the mail in votes. This country cannot take that. Just cannot have it. It would be like a balloon bursting at some point.
2016 you were right. Gut feeling for me is that silent majority won't be as much in his camp as before. We will see certainly.

2016 you were right. Gut feeling for me is that silent majority won't be as much in his camp as before. We will see certainly.

I am of the opinion that he has gained voters the past few years simply because of a strong economy pre-Covid. To me a strong economy is what matters to most people. Why do you think he has lost voters? I’m not trying to stir anything up, just simply asking and can appreciate the fact that we disagree but be civil.

Reactions: TigerGrowls

Mail in voting is the dems biggest attempt at fraud yet. Taking advantage of the fear that they and their supporters who control the MSM have stoked for months. So very plain to see.

There is no reason not to go vote in person. Wear your hazmat suit, stand 10ft away from the other person and then show your ID and vote.

I am of the opinion that he has gained voters the past few years simply because of a strong economy pre-Covid. To me a strong economy is what matters to most people. Why do you think he has lost voters? I’m not trying to stir anything up, just simply asking and can appreciate the fact that we disagree but be civil.
I think he has lost voters due to his handling of Covid. When everything was going well sure he solidified his base and those who voted for him, but now that there has been adversity, I think he has struggled mightly in alot of people's eyes.

Unfortunately for him I think that will be what costs him the election. How he handled adversity. JMO

i know he has lost voters in colorado. i have the data to back it up. a lot of white, wealthy, educated, suburban women.

the #1 concern on people's minds right now, is COVID. Whether that's in the context of their/community health, or the virus's impact on the economy.

For the next debate let’s put the candidates in two separate rooms. Same format two minutes to answer each question but the candidate not answering the question is muted for the entire two minutes and then vice versa.

Nobody that was on the fence about who to vote for came away from that disaster with any sort of clarity on the best candidate for them

It appeared that Trump's nihilistic impulses outweighed any coherent political thoughts. If he would merely shut the hell up occasionally he would be much more palatable. He is a great retail politician but no towering intellect; painful to watch on a good day.

The greater shame is that a nation of 330 million can't find two better candidates than these two stumps. Biden is senile and Trump is, well, Trump.

Its pretty clear that the "silent majority" spoken of in here by some is kind of a wish rather than a fact. Biden did bad. Trump did worse and thats bad for his chances.

Reactions: fcctiger12
i know he has lost voters in colorado. i have the data to back it up. a lot of white, wealthy, educated, suburban women.

the #1 concern on people's minds right now, is COVID. Whether that's in the context of their/community health, or the virus's impact on the economy.

It seems like being concerned about Covid is a regional thing. I don’t know anyone in South Carolina who is really concerned about it. Most everything is open so I don’t hear much about the economic impact of it.

The debate was worse than I anticipated and a great representation of how far gone political leadership is in 2020. Trump was a total mess, the good points he made were overshadowed by the constant verbal jabbing and interruptions, not to mention he still feels the need to self validate how much he is liked by people that likely wouldn't agree.

Biden also was no picnic, you can tell he's been trained to pander when looks at the camera and points his hand while trying to look empathetic. He also failed to give any color on his plans and I don't know that I've seen a debate where a candidate outright refused to answer a question. He's a career politician and that's what I walked away with last night. That said, he certainly came across as more presidential and the more mature of the two.

Both sides also failed to denounce the voting population that they shouldn't want to be affiliated with, Trump Right Wing extremists and Biden Antifa ("just an idea"). If both are that scared to lose those votes, I wish we could just reset the candidates.

I thought Chris Wallace did show some bias towards Biden, he helped him collect his thoughts on a few occasions and also didn't hold him to answering the actual tough questions. That said, I don't know how the poor man dealt with Trump for 90 minutes.

In relation to Covid, there isn't a president in the history of the country that would have gotten the response right. I'll debate that until I'm blue in the face. Biden can't accuse Trump of shutting down/destroying the economy while also telling the voters he'll shut down the economy again. Take a look at Sweden, England, etc .......all took different approaches, all have been skewered by their people. At some point, you have to hold state government accountable not just the president......(Cuomo sent sick elderly back to nursing homes, how is this not all over the news for example).

I actually watched that damn thing.

Overall thought - are these two REALLY the best we can do? Holy crap.

TRUMP:

Trump forgot one major tenent of warfare:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

I think Biden was about to really screw up a few times, and then Trump interrupted him.

Trump missed a few opportunities to really nail Biden on the Hunter issue - Biden kept saying it wasn't relevant but if Hunter was getting all of this money, who do you REALLY think they were buying? What were they getting in return?

Trump came across as a used car salesman and a bully (the bully part doesn't bother me too much). He did his thing with "Lots of very smart people" and "incredible progress" - without real numbers.

Should have been more firm when asked to denounce white supremacy. But it seems all politicians waiver on stuff like that a little bit.

BIDEN:

Biden held up better than I expected him to. Trump was definitely the 'Alpha dog' up there but it wasn't as much of a bulldozing as I expected. I'm not sure Biden is as much diminshed mentally as he is just an idiot. He wasn't known to be terribly bright as a Senator or as VP.

I did find it amusing that Biden took credit for a lot of Obama accomplishments/policies - used "I" a lot. Trump should have been prepared to stomp on that.

ALL THAT SAID......

I think Trump may have gotten Biden to hurt himself in a way that he doesn't even realize he did. He got Biden to break with the far-left of the party, and to declare that HE was the head of the party. That will play to the centrists, but the vocal far left will probably not like it. He also got Biden to basically denounce the Green New Deal. That doesn't mean they'll change their votes though. I doubt it did much damage overall but I think it will hurt.

WALLACE:

I didn't find Wallace to be as biased as some. He was not a good moderator (Brett Baier would have been better) but I wouldn't call him biased.

Wallace after the debate:

giphy.gif

OVERALL: lots of he said/he said. Looked more like a schoolyard fight than a debate.

Last edited:
It seems like being concerned about Covid is a regional thing. I don’t know anyone in South Carolina who is really concerned about it. Most everything is open so I don’t hear much about the economic impact of it.

A lot of the COVID stuff is regional and up to individual state governors. Contrary to popular belief the Governors do not work for the president and don't HAVE to do what he says. So it's not like Trump could have fixed the whole thing himself. The response could have been better but there is an expression "sometimes doing the right thing can still get you killed."

Obviously NYC fvcked the dog in their response. 23K deaths, all while complaining and whining about needing a ton of ventilators (that they didn't need) that may have better served other parts of the country. And screwing up implementing a 1000-bed floating hospital and trying to run Samaritan's Purse out of NY. Some of that may have been due to the unknown nature of the virus but they did fvck this up.

I wish we had some numbers (even projections) as to the damage the shutdown did besides economically. Mental health, suicide, people turning to drugs, etc. Because I think a prolonged shutdown would cause mental health issues. And it may cause issues that we won't see for years.

In relation to Covid, there isn't a president in the history of the country that would have gotten the response right. I'll debate that until I'm blue in the face. Biden can't accuse Trump of shutting down/destroying the economy while also telling the voters he'll shut down the economy again. Take a look at Sweden, England, etc .......all took different approaches, all have been skewered by their people. At some point, you have to hold state government accountable not just the president......(Cuomo sent sick elderly back to nursing homes, how is this not all over the news for example).

I agree with a lot of this.

Reactions: Clemson Carl3
I actually watched that damn thing.

Overall thought - are these two REALLY the best we can do? Holy crap.

TRUMP:

Trump forgot one major tenent of warfare:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

I think Biden was about to really screw up a few times, and then Trump interrupted him.

Trump missed a few opportunities to really nail Biden on the Hunter issue - Biden kept saying it wasn't relevant but if Hunter was getting all of this money, who do you REALLY think they were buying? What were they getting in return?

Trump came across as a used car salesman and a bully (the bully part doesn't bother me too much). He did his thing with "Lots of very smart people" and "incredible progress" - without real numbers.

BIDEN:

Biden held up better than I expected him to. Trump was definitely the 'Alpha dog' up there but it wasn't as much of a bulldozing as I expected. I'm not sure Biden is as much diminshed mentally as he is just an idiot. He wasn't known to be terribly bright as a Senator or as VP.

I did find it amusing that Biden took credit for a lot of Obama accomplishments/policies - used "I" a lot. Trump should have been prepared to stomp on that.

ALL THAT SAID......

I think Trump may have gotten Biden to hurt himself in a way that he doesn't even realize he did. He got Biden to break with the far-left of the party, and to declare that HE was the head of the party. That will play to the centrists, but the vocal far left will probably not like it. He also got Biden to basically denounce the Green New Deal. That doesn't mean they'll change their votes though. I doubt it did much damage overall but I think it will hurt.

WALLACE:

I didn't find Wallace to be as biased as some. He was not a good moderator (Brett Baier would have been better) but I wouldn't call him biased.

Wallace after the debate:

giphy.gif

OVERALL: lots of he said/he said. Looked more like a schoolyard fight than a debate.
Biden will not lose progressive votes. After watching 4 years of Trump, they would vote for the proverbial ‘yellow dog’ against Trump. No one can honestly call Biden senile after this debate either. He cited facts, pointed out that the president’s advisor Kellyanne Conway recognized that violence helps Trump, noted that Trump disagrees with his own experts time after time. Trump would just cite, “some people.”

A lot of the COVID stuff is regional and up to individual state governors. Contrary to popular belief the Governors do not work for the president and don't HAVE to do what he says. So it's not like Trump could have fixed the whole thing himself. The response could have been better but there is an expression "sometimes doing the right thing can still get you killed."

Obviously NYC fvcked the dog in their response. 23K deaths, all while complaining and whining about needing a ton of ventilators (that they didn't need) that may have better served other parts of the country. And screwing up implementing a 1000-bed floating hospital and trying to run Samaritan's Purse out of NY. Some of that may have been due to the unknown nature of the virus but they did fvck this up.

I wish we had some numbers (even projections) as to the damage the shutdown did besides economically. Mental health, suicide, people turning to drugs, etc. Because I think a prolonged shutdown would cause mental health issues. And it may cause issues that we won't see for years.

I agree with a lot of this.

The deaths related to the shutdown specific to poverty and mental health will far outweigh Covid deaths but I doubt you'll ever see those numbers make mainstream media. Also, didn't the CDC come out and say the death toll was far less than 200k? I thought those numbers were being challenged based on hospitals mislabeling cause of death?

Biden will not lose progressive votes. After watching 4 years of Trump, they would vote for the proverbial ‘yellow dog’ against Trump.
I agree with this. The ultra liberals hate Trump so much, they will still vote Biden.

Biden will not lose progressive votes. After watching 4 years of Trump, they would vote for the proverbial ‘yellow dog’ against Trump. No one can honestly call Biden senile after this debate either. He cited facts, pointed out that the president’s advisor Kellyanne Conway recognized that violence helps Trump, noted that Trump disagrees with his own experts time after time. Trump would just cite, “some people.”

I suspect you're right, though it might make uber-progressives stay home.

I think Biden is, at his heart, a centrist or center-left. And theortically I can live with that. But can he stand up to the far-left poundings? Take the lead of his party? Or will he wilt under pressure from Pelosi, etc?

Assuming he serves more than two years. My thought is that we are seeing a bait-and-switch with Harris.

As far as senile I'm not sure about that one either. He never was known as being very bright anyway.

I suspect you're right, though it might make uber-progressives stay home.

I think Biden is, at his heart, a centrist or center-left. And theortically I can live with that. But can he stand up to the far-left poundings? Take the lead of his party? Or will he wilt under pressure from Pelosi, etc?

Assuming he serves more than two years. My thought is that we are seeing a bait-and-switch with Harris.

As far as senile I'm not sure about that one either. He never was known as being very bright anyway.

Biden doesn't know what Biden is. He has become whatever people wanted him to be all the way through. He's not a leader. He never has been. He's also a dolt. He's just a follower and he's someone who has lied through his teeth to create a past he doesn't have. When he first ran for president back in the 80's...yes, that alone should scare everyone with how long he's been around, the media at least had the temerity to dismiss him for his lies and plagiarism. They knew then what we've forgotten now out of our disdain for Trump.

We have two lousy choices this time like we had two lousy choices last time. I find it so tragic out of 350 million people that this is the best we can do. There are well over a dozen people on this board who I am certain would do a better job as President. We need younger, more forward thinking, more energetic leaders for our future. There are some unavoidable, enormous issues on our horizon and we have idiots everywhere in charge of government at nearly every level. This sucks!

The deaths related to the shutdown specific to poverty and mental health will far outweigh Covid deaths but I doubt you'll ever see those numbers make mainstream media. Also, didn't the CDC come out and say the death toll was far less than 200k? I thought those numbers were being challenged based on hospitals mislabeling cause of death?

no. the CDC didnt say that at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT