ADVERTISEMENT

East Coast Port Strike - Will Kamala Stop It? Longshoremen Losing PR Battle

fatpiggy

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Aug 18, 2002
I forget who our resident longshoreman is, but he would probable provide some unique insight.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerGrowls
NOPE THE DOPE WON'T

Dems are being bitch slapped by Union

ask the question how many crane operators make $ 600,000.00 a year at this time

I would think NONE

UNION wants that as a wage

• Haha
Reactions: lctiger831
It’s likely you will see news circulating about a potential port strike. Unfortunately, the media often portrays us as “greedy union thugs,” which is why I want to provide some important context.

The International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) is the largest union of maritime workers in North America, representing over 85,000 longshoremen across the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, Great Lakes, major U.S. rivers, Puerto Rico, Eastern Canada, and the Bahamas. The ILA has roots dating back to 1877 with the Association of Lumber Handlers on the Great Lakes. Locally, Charleston ILA Local 1422 was chartered in 1936, during a time when labor unions were critical in improving wages, safety, and job security in industries like shipping.

See the link below for a summary of the situation:

Our members work 24/7, 360 days a year, often in dangerous conditions such as extreme weather or long, grueling shifts. We are hard-working, blue-collar people who contribute directly to the local economy. Tragically, we lose lives every year due to the risks involved. During the pandemic, we never stopped working. While others had the chance to work from home or received stipends, we kept the world trade moving, without missing a beat.

See this important message from ILA President Harold Daggett:

The last ILA strike occurred in 1977, and one of the most pivotal moments in our history was the Charleston Five incident in 2000. A peaceful protest against non-union labor led to the arrest of five of our members, including then-president Ken Riley. After international solidarity and a long legal battle, the charges were eventually dropped, marking a significant win for labor rights.

See link for more information on this matter:

Charleston is one of the busiest ports on the East Coast, and our union workers are crucial to its operations. The union is also committed to community outreach, ensuring we remain connected to those we serve.

The media might cast us as the villains, but the reality is that shipping lines, our employers, used the pandemic as an excuse to raise their rates—sometimes by as much as six times the pre-COVID amount. This was blatant price gouging. We believe, deep down, they’re hoping we strike so they can increase rates even further and shift the blame to us. Feel free verify their record breaking profits over the last five years— you will see they cashed in on hundreds of billions of dollars during a global crisis, while we, the workers, never saw any hazard pay. In fact, we lost many members to COVID-19, including my uncle Andy Hogue. They are largely to blame for the inflated prices of consumer goods.

The union labor costs are minimal, accounting for just 3% of the shipping lines’ expenses. Our union is simply asking for fair compensation that keeps pace with today’s inflated costs.

Please take a moment to watch the videos I’ve shared to better understand the situation. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out, and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

Reactions: DW4_2016
It’s likely you will see news circulating about a potential port strike. Unfortunately, the media often portrays us as “greedy union thugs,” which is why I want to provide some important context.

The International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA) is the largest union of maritime workers in North America, representing over 85,000 longshoremen across the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, Great Lakes, major U.S. rivers, Puerto Rico, Eastern Canada, and the Bahamas. The ILA has roots dating back to 1877 with the Association of Lumber Handlers on the Great Lakes. Locally, Charleston ILA Local 1422 was chartered in 1936, during a time when labor unions were critical in improving wages, safety, and job security in industries like shipping.

Our members work 24/7, 360 days a year, often in dangerous conditions such as extreme weather or long, grueling shifts. We are hard-working, blue-collar people who contribute directly to the local economy. Tragically, we lose lives every year due to the risks involved. During the pandemic, we never stopped working. While others had the chance to work from home or received stipends, we kept the world trade moving, without missing a beat.

The last ILA strike occurred in 1977, and one of the most pivotal moments in our history was the Charleston Five incident in 2000. A peaceful protest against non-union labor led to the arrest of five of our members, including then-president Ken Riley. After international solidarity and a long legal battle, the charges were eventually dropped, marking a significant win for labor rights.

Charleston is one of the busiest ports on the East Coast, and our union workers are crucial to its operations. The union is also committed to community outreach, ensuring we remain connected to those we serve.

The media might cast us as the villains, but the reality is that shipping lines, our employers, used the pandemic as an excuse to raise their rates—sometimes by as much as six times the pre-COVID amount. This was blatant price gouging. We believe, deep down, they’re hoping we strike so they can increase rates even further and shift the blame to us. Feel free verify their record breaking profits over the last five years— you will see they cashed in on hundreds of billions of dollars during a global crisis, while we, the workers, never saw any hazard pay. In fact, we lost many members to COVID-19, including my uncle Andy Hogue. They are largely to blame for the inflated prices of consumer goods.

The union labor costs are minimal, accounting for just 3% of the shipping lines’ expenses. Our union is simply asking for fair compensation that keeps pace with today’s inflated costs.

Please take a moment to watch the videos I’ve shared to better understand the situation. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out, and I’ll do my best to provide answers.

I have a question, thanks for the discussion.

When your(?) leader says that you all work hard, worked through covid, and are important to the overall economy, I agree with him.

My question is, what makes this group of people think that they can hold the national economy hostage? Should every other group do the same? Are they not as important as you?

Thank you.

Reactions: coldbud1994

Can you post some job categories and the associated annual compensation being demanded by the union?

I guess the Union doesn't care about the drastic need for supplies in WNC and the death and destruction from the Helene. Instead of delaying a strike as requested by Senator Scott, they moved ahead and will use that suffering as a bargaining chip.

Besides crazy high salaries, they are requesting no automation at the ports. Automation is coming. AI is the next industrial revolution. The union would be better off demanding training for automation and a plan to allow members to retire / get compensation packages as their jobs become redundant and are eliminated. Ports have no choice to but to automate if they are going to remain completive.

I don't deny their right to strike and try to get better wages, but the timing has quickly turned public opinion against them.

Meanwhile, more shortage and skyrocketing prices for everyday people, including those that lost everything.

Reactions: fatpiggy
I have a question, thanks for the discussion.

When your(?) leader says that you all work hard, worked through covid, and are important to the overall economy, I agree with him.

My question is, what makes this group of people think that they can hold the national economy hostage? Should every other group do the same? Are they not as important as you?

Thank you.
Every single person should be demanding more money. If this starts a movement, then so be it. We are only demanding what we deserve. Inflation has gone up by 20% and we only received a minimal raise 6 years ago.

I guess the Union doesn't care about the drastic need for supplies in WNC and the death and destruction from the Helene. Instead of delaying a strike as requested by Senator Scott, they moved ahead and will use that suffering as a bargaining chip.

Besides crazy high salaries, they are requesting no automation at the ports. Automation is coming. AI is the next industrial revolution. The union would be better off demanding training for automation and a plan to allow members to retire / get compensation packages as their jobs become redundant and are eliminated. Ports have no choice to but to automate if they are going to remain completive.

I don't deny their right to strike and try to get better wages, but the timing has quickly turned public opinion against them.

Meanwhile, more shortage and skyrocketing prices for everyday people, including those that lost everything.
It sucks about WNC and our contract ending. Shitty timing. Perhaps the foreign owned corporations should have more compassion and give us what we want.

No offense to you personally, but I do not think your union is doing very well presenting itself as anything but the bad guy in this. No one is trying to argue that dock work is not hard work or that the workers are not essential. Police work and fire fighting are hard jobs too. I am sure a firefighter or law enforcement officer would not find much sympathy for a union that turned down an offer to pay over $120K per year with the opportunity to pick up overtime on top of that.
As someone else asked, why should this union be holding the nation's economy hostage when 4 states within their geographic footprint are in need of emergency relief?
My advice is that yall need to take the 50% raise and get back to work.... before the robot you fear will take your job takes your job.

Reactions: fatpiggy
No offense to you personally, but I do not think your union is doing very well presenting itself as anything but the bad guy in this. No one is trying to argue that dock work is not hard work or that the workers are not essential. Police work and fire fighting are hard jobs too. I am sure a firefighter or law enforcement officer would not find much sympathy for a union that turned down an offer to pay over $120K per year with the opportunity to pick up overtime on top of that.
As someone else asked, why should this union be holding the nation's economy hostage when 4 states within their geographic footprint are in need of emergency relief?
My advice is that yall need to take the 50% raise and get back to work.... before the robot you fear will take your job takes your job.
No. Foreign corporations should have thought about this. They have made hundreds of billions off of us and we are the bad guys?

No. Foreign corporations should have thought about this. They have made hundreds of billions off of us and we are the bad guys?
I’m pulling for you to be fired. I hope all of you are fired.

You sound like a bunch of selfish pricks so far. My mind can be changed with further information, but you all are losing the PR battle right now.

Your job will be automated at your next contract renewal. Plan accordingly

Every single person should be demanding more money. If this starts a movement, then so be it. We are only demanding what we deserve. Inflation has gone up by 20% and we only received a minimal raise 6 years ago.
You can “demand” more money by seeking other jobs or negotiating with your current employer like the rest of us do.

You should not however hold the nation hostage for your negotiations. Imagine if every industry did that? We would have constant stoppages while We The People get ****ed.

I have not seen anything yet to differentiate your group from everyone else.

You worked hard during covid? Pin a rose on your nose. What an embarrassing claim. You make the world go round? Well guess what, that can be said for a multitude of industries.

Turning into a Democratic shit show because they have left a vegetable and a retard in charge of governing us.

They will point t the fingers and try claim neither one was in charge.

But the people are wise. And we are goi g to vote the assholes out on November 6th.

Joe Biden and Kamala Harris have the power to stop this vefore it ever affects one of us. Let’s see what they do.

I’d be willing to bet dollars to donuts that Biden uses the 80 day cooling off period before the election.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT