ADVERTISEMENT

Economy

nytigerfan

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2004
@scotchtiger

Curious as to your thoughts on today's news about the revised GDP growth rate for 2018. After looking at more complete data, 2018 GDP growth rate was revised from 2.97% to 2.5%, worse than 2.8% in 2017. I would argue that those tax cuts are not having the desired effect. It looks like business investment actually fell.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-feat-in-2018-undone-by-annual-data-revisions

President Donald Trump failed to achieve his much-ballyhooed 3% target for economic growth in 2018 after all.

Updated government figures show that gross domestic product expanded 2.5% on a fourth-quarter-over-fourth-quarter basis last year. That compares with a previous estimate of 3% and an upwardly revised 2.8% in 2017, the first year of Trump’s presidency.

Behind the 2018 markdown: Slower growth of business investment and exports, along with a greater output in the fourth quarter of 2017 that made the comparison less favorable.

Tale of two sectors.

Personal consumption expenditures rose 4.3% in the second quarter, the best performance in six quarters.

Gross private domestic investment tumbled 5.5%, the worst since the fourth quarter in 2015.

Consumers are driving economic growth moreso than businesses.

@scotchtiger

Curious as to your thoughts on today's news about the revised GDP growth rate for 2018. After looking at more complete data, 2018 GDP growth rate was revised from 2.97% to 2.5%, worse than 2.8% in 2017. I would argue that those tax cuts are not having the desired effect. It looks like business investment actually fell.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-feat-in-2018-undone-by-annual-data-revisions

President Donald Trump failed to achieve his much-ballyhooed 3% target for economic growth in 2018 after all.

Updated government figures show that gross domestic product expanded 2.5% on a fourth-quarter-over-fourth-quarter basis last year. That compares with a previous estimate of 3% and an upwardly revised 2.8% in 2017, the first year of Trump’s presidency.

Behind the 2018 markdown: Slower growth of business investment and exports, along with a greater output in the fourth quarter of 2017 that made the comparison less favorable.
Go ask the Squad

Tale of two sectors.

Personal consumption expenditures rose 4.3% in the second quarter, the best performance in six quarters.

Gross private domestic investment tumbled 5.5%, the worst since the fourth quarter in 2015.

Consumers are driving economic growth moreso than businesses.
But personal consumption is rising because businesses are expanding and hiring more people. Same reason tax revenues are going up despite the tax cuts.

@scotchtiger

You think tax cuts are the only thing that affects the economy?

If the Fed hadn't jumped the gun on raising interest rates, the DOW would be around 30k right now and GDP growth would have been >3%.

@scotchtiger

Are you really disappointed in 2.5% growth? Or do you actually hope that the economy tanks so you can say told you so?

@scotchtiger

I bet Bernie would’ve had us around 3.5-4%

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
@scotchtiger

My accountant just called me back and confirmed that I made more money than ever in 2018, paid a lower effective tax rate than I have in years and noted that my investment accounts have never been larger.

Things are good in the economy my man.

Two things should never be discussed in this forum (same rule as a bar), Politics and Religion. Everyone has an opinion. And opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and everybody's stinks but your own.

He is referring to the group that is pushing Trump to another 4 year term.....maybe another 8 years :)

Ahh...I remember when a president not accepting their term limits was a giant conspiracy theory of the far right about Obama. Now it seems to be what the base wants bc...hypocrites.

All Hail the Bone Spur in Chief!

(I also remember when Republicans claimed (falsely) that tax cuts for the rich would pay for themselves only to have the middle class pay more in taxes. Fun stuff. Winning with the BEST people!)

@scotchtiger

Never say anything negative about "He Who Shall Never Have Anything Negative Said About Him." We're talking about a man who could shoot someone dead on the streets of New York and his followers would not change their minds about him.

Reactions: Balbinus
Never say anything negative about "He Who Shall Never Have Anything Negative Said About Him." We're talking about a man who could shoot someone dead on the streets of New York and his followers would not change their minds about him.
to be fair, im starting to think the same could be said of some of the democrats as well

Ahh...I remember when a president not accepting their term limits was a giant conspiracy theory of the far right about Obama. Now it seems to be what the base wants bc...hypocrites.

(I also remember when Republicans claimed (falsely) that tax cuts for the rich would pay for themselves only to have the middle class pay more in taxes. Fun stuff. Winning with the BEST people!)

Lol

@scotchtiger

I am pretty liberal, and can't stand Trump, but I will never celebrate the economy slowing down or weakening. No matter your political affiliation, you've got to hope that things continue to do well.

you cant let em know it hurts so much

Recessions are cyclical.
We will have another recession at some point (hopefully after Trump gets re elected).
One limiting factor in the economy now is that effective unemployment rate is essentially zero. There are more jobs than people to fill them. We are labor limited for probably the first time in my life.

Trump needs to get the Republicans (and a few House Dems) to cut real government spending. Both parties spend money like drunken sailors.

Starting to think?

Trump could cure cancer and AIDS and theses looney tunes would call him hitler. I didn’t vote for him and it is hilarious
yeah, should say ive been thinking for the last year and a half that nancy pelosi or AOC or bernie could say the same thing trump said and not lose support

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
ADVERTISEMENT