ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone wants a handout...

giphy.gif

Op, while as left as a Gay Mooslim, brings up a good point.

Every farmer I know poor mouths to the point you think they are wearing milk cartons for shoes. Yet, they live in 4000+ square foot houses and have $200k worth of personal vehicles in their driveway. What gives?
Illinois is broke. How can they afford to give any additional hand outs?

With the latest tax cuts and this proposed ‘bailout’, it’s crazy how much money we are giving to such a small percentage of the population.

The $12 billion in direct payments is coming from the Commodity Credit Corporation, which was formed in 1933 to "stabilize, support, and protect farm income and prices". It was necessitated by the Great Depression.

It is very strange to see government subsidies being given out at a time when our overall economy is prospering (not counting real wage growth).

Reactions: 1Clemzunfan
With the latest tax cuts and this proposed ‘bailout’, it’s crazy how much money we are giving to such a small percentage of the population.
----------------------------------------------------------
do you have a 401(k)? - if you own stocks (which isn't a small percentage of the population)... you are benefiting tremendously from the corporate tax cut....

True. The Tax Cuts only went to those actually paying Income Tax which is not too high a % of the US population. I am still trying to figure out where the $1 Trillion went that our last President gave away.

Every farmer I know poor mouths to the point you think they are wearing milk cartons for shoes. Yet, they live in 4000+ square foot houses and have $200k worth of personal vehicles in their driveway. What gives?

They typically live in places that have a distinctly lower quality of life, and in turn cost of living. When I lived in Bennettsville I purchased my home for around $50/sqft. I live in a similar style/size home in James Island now, and payed around $190/sqft. So that, for starters, to help explain homes and "200K in personal vehicles." Also I'm guessing you're counting the $80K 2017 King Ranch F-250 with the fuel tank on it as a "personal vehicle," even though it's not.

They typically live in places that have a distinctly lower quality of life, and in turn cost of living. When I lived in Bennettsville I purchased my home for around $50/sqft. I live in a similar style/size home in James Island now, and payed around $190/sqft. So that, for starters, to help explain homes and "200K in personal vehicles." Also I'm guessing you're counting the $80K 2017 King Ranch F-250 with the fuel tank on it as a "personal vehicle," even though it's not.

Correct. Plus the 75k GMC his wife drives and the 70k Vette his son drives.

Reactions: griffgolf
I grew up in i

It’s called “land rich, cash poor.”

Don’t worry though-family farms are dying-can’t compete with big agribusiness corporations anymore.

Reactions: Dackel
I’m tired of farmers riding around in air conditioned cabs and satellite radio. Need to go back to the days of the 4 row combine with a shade umbrella.

Reactions: NorthStateTiger
I grew up in i

It’s called “land rich, cash poor.”

Don’t worry though-family farms are dying-can’t compete with big agribusiness corporations anymore.

I dont want to sound like I’m bashing farmers. The visuals just don’t match the words of the ones I know.

The $12 billion in direct payments is coming from the Commodity Credit Corporation, which was formed in 1933 to "stabilize, support, and protect farm income and prices". It was necessitated by the Great Depression.

It is very strange to see government subsidies being given out at a time when our overall economy is prospering (not counting real wage growth).
The farm economy is different from the overall economy. Commodity prices have been depressed for a good while now.

I'm fiscally conservative and don't like government subsidies either; however, farmers face unique production risks and operating cycles. Subsidies such as these are quite necessary and the costs are worth the benefits to the entire country, IMO. We really don't want to screw around with something as important as the food supply and have a lot of producers go out of business at the same time.

The farm economy is different from the overall economy. Commodity prices have been depressed for a good while now.

I'm fiscally conservative and don't like government subsidies either; however, farmers face unique production risks and operating cycles. Subsidies such as these are quite necessary and the costs are worth the benefits to the entire country, IMO. We really don't want to screw around with something as important as the food supply and have a lot of producers go out of business at the same time.
I appreciate the response.

So what is the long-term plan? Should we start thinking of an increasing amount of governmental subsidies given to farmers as the new normal?

do you have a 401(k)? - if you own stocks (which isn't a small percentage of the population)... you are benefiting tremendously from the corporate tax cut....

Not until you sell them.

And now or very soon might just be the time to do so.

Reactions: Dackel

I read an article recently that said 50% of Americans have money in the stock market.

It's amazing...the vast VAST majority of people on welfare in this country vote democrat...

In order to remain on welfare...

But it's Trump's fault? Smh

Reading your posts is like Ripley’s Believe It Or Not...except instead of having a third eyeball or 20 extra teeth, you’re just really, really, really not smart

I read an article recently that said 50% of Americans have money in the stock market.

Yea and the same statistics showed the top 10% of the stock owning populace owns 85% of all stocks. The tax cut fueled bybacks have benefited relatively few indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT