IMG_5797_ezr2.JPG

never have so few fed so many for so little

AND FOR THE MEDICAL PROFESSION

20120630_inc512.png
Nice. Correlation or coincidence?

I'm leaning towards correlation. Cheap food= fattys= high medical costs

Reactions: ClemsonGentleman
I appreciate the response.

So what is the long-term plan? Should we start thinking of an increasing amount of governmental subsidies given to farmers as the new normal?
The long-term plan seems to be renegotiating trade deals to benefit American farmers and businesses, or a trade war. From the WSJ:

“This is a short-term solution that will give President Trump and his administration time to work on long-term trade deals,” Mr. Perdue told reporters.

Government kills business so they have to depend on the government. Too bad the stupid trumpsters won’t realize it until their crappy blue collar jobs are gone.

Reactions: griffgolf
The farm economy is different from the overall economy. Commodity prices have been depressed for a good while now.

I'm fiscally conservative and don't like government subsidies either; however, farmers face unique production risks and operating cycles. Subsidies such as these are quite necessary and the costs are worth the benefits to the entire country, IMO. We really don't want to screw around with something as important as the food supply and have a lot of producers go out of business at the same time.
Do you not have a problem with the fact that Trump's tariffs are leading to the need for these subsidies? This is a self-inflicted wound that Trump is now trying to heal with EVEN MORE SPENDING.

I agree that our agriculture industry is vital to America. But it is maddening to think that the reason they are in need of subsidies is because of Trump's tariffs. This is $12billion in spending that is the direct result of this idiotic trade policy. Its the exact thing that many of us argued on this board would happen when he started levying these tariffs.

What has happened to the Republican party? It used to be the party of free trade, now they support these crazy tariffs Trump is levying and are pulling out of beneficial free trade agreements. It used to be the party of law and order, but now they are following Trump as he tries to destroy our law enforcement institutions and intelligence agencies. It used to be the party of limited spending and balanced budgets but now they are spending at an unprecedented rate and running unprecedented deficits and we are not even in an economic down turn when this type of deficit spending usually occurs out of necessity. Here is another $12 billion. It used to be hawkish on defending freedom around the world and promoting and protecting our Democratic allies against power hungry authoritarian dictatorships and regimes. Now the republicans are watching their leader destroy and diminish NATO, alienate our Democratic allies, and cozy up to authoritarian dictators like Putin, Ertowan, Xi, Kim, etc.

I could keep going but it's not even worth it anymore. It pains me to see the party of Reagan fall to these lows.

Ohhhhh those Liberal tears taste so sweeettttt!!!!! We just keep on winning!

Your beloved Hillary is a criminal!!!!
Lock her up!!!

giphy.gif
I’m an anarchist, but cool story bro. I hate Hillary also. I hate trump’s tariffs because everybody said this would happen.

I didn’t vote for a guy that’s taxing the fvck out of free trade. And we know, long term goals.... too bad elections are this year.

Reactions: griffgolf
The long-term plan seems to be renegotiating trade deals to benefit American farmers and businesses, or a trade war. From the WSJ:

“This is a short-term solution that will give President Trump and his administration time to work on long-term trade deals,” Mr. Perdue told reporters.
I’m not sure I understand the answer. The unique production risks and operating cycles you mention would still apply in a tariff-free world. I guess you’re saying that margins are being squeezed due to the current tariffs?

I agree. As Scott Lincicome likes to say, tariffs not only impose economic costs but also fail to achieve their primary policy and foster political dysfunction along the way.

Do you not have a problem with the fact that Trump's tariffs are leading to the need for these subsidies? This is a self-inflicted wound that Trump is now trying to heal with EVEN MORE SPENDING.

I agree that our agriculture industry is vital to America. But it is maddening to think that the reason they are in need of subsidies is because of Trump's tariffs. This is $12billion in spending that is the direct result of this idiotic trade policy. Its the exact thing that many of us argued on this board would happen when he started levying these tariffs.

What has happened to the Republican party? It used to be the party of free trade, now they support these crazy tariffs Trump is levying and are pulling out of beneficial free trade agreements. It used to be the party of law and order, but now they are following Trump as he tries to destroy our law enforcement institutions and intelligence agencies. It used to be the party of limited spending and balanced budgets but now they are spending at an unprecedented rate and running unprecedented deficits and we are not even in an economic down turn when this type of deficit spending usually occurs out of necessity. Here is another $12 billion. It used to be hawkish on defending freedom around the world and promoting and protecting our Democratic allies against power hungry authoritarian dictatorships and regimes. Now the republicans are watching their leader destroy and diminish NATO, alienate our Democratic allies, and cozy up to authoritarian dictators like Putin, Ertowan, Xi, Kim, etc.

I could keep going but it's not even worth it anymore. It pains me to see the party of Reagan fall to these lows.

Because I honestly don't think either side cares about the issues anymore. I think both just want to "win" to the detriment of the other. A few years ago the blue team was on top, now it's the red. That's politics in a nutshell these days.

Reactions: broncosrb26
Because I honestly don't think either side cares about the issues anymore. I think both just want to "win" to the detriment of the other. A few years ago the blue team was on top, now it's the red. That's politics in a nutshell these days.
and so it came to pass that democracy crumbled in the west. Under the weight of its on narcissism and cynicism.

Yeah, I am struggling to follow your logic. We have been subsidizing food production in this country for 15 plus years to create an economic advantage over trading partners ourselves (it is why fructose is in everything and stays on the shelf for years...).

So we subsidize farmers (just in time for the midtems!) who are hurting from poorly implemented tariffs that triggered a trade war that this administration said would never happen, instead of using tariffs surgically and strategically in limited areas to push for specific trade deal benefits.

If this was some grand negotiation, it was done so incredibly poorly and now costs taxpayers billions while consumers are bearing the brunt of corporations handing costs down to them (which always happens with these scenarios).

So glad the tax cut triggered all of these stock buybacks so that boards and executives could get richer while average american workers wages remain stagnate. Oh wait...that isn't a good thing and that same taxpayer is on the hook for the national debt burden R's forgot to care about when they came to total power.

Also--my 401k and stocks have sucked since that tax cut and Trump took office after kicking trash for 5 straight years after the worst economic crisis since the great depression. Man I hate that Obama guy...

Reactions: broncosrb26
It's not just farmers. Go ask a builder how the tariffs are impacting the cost to build. From 2008 to 2015, we built at a rate that was far less than the historical norm to support demand. Last year, was the first year we built at a rate that supports demand. That trend has led to a severe supply glut, and pushed pricing. Now, when you add on tariffs, home construction costs don't make sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT