ADVERTISEMENT

Football Majors

andcam

Lake Baikal
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2011
Columbus NC
Does anyone know why more of our College Football players do not major in education? While it is not required that someone be a certified teacher to coach, it certainly makes the hiring process a lot easier and a player will certainly make more money that way, at least early on. Plus having a former College Football player in the classroom would be a huge motivation tool and a powerful message for the students. With our focus on Call me Mister and access to Jeff Davis (who was the former spokesmen for that program)....... it is just surprising that we do not have hardly any education majors on the team.

I did notice that the vast majority of the players are majoring in either Communications, Sociology or Parks and Rec. All of these majors are ranked in the ten 10 worse as far as job opportunities and long term earnings power.

This is not a knock on our players or advisors. Checking out the SCAR majors and the NC State majors show that ours is right in line with at least these two other schools. Plus I realize that football is like a full time job in and of itself. I just hate it for the vast majority of the players who do not make it in the NFL and who end up with fewer opportunities as compared to a business, education, nursing, computer science or a student with a similar major (some of which are not appreciably more difficult than a degree in humanities).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.