ADVERTISEMENT

From NEJM on masks

You do you, but I think the point is that viruses have been coming at your face since the beginning of time, what makes this virus different from all the previous ones?
Seeing that it is highly contagious and can potentially kill you in a few days and has no track record certainly makes it a little different than others.

Seeing that it is highly contagious and can potentially kill you in a few days and has no track record certainly makes it a little different than others.
And what should that tell us? If a mask works so well why release thousands of prisoners from jail? If social distancing works so well why wear a mask? In my opinion social distancing is the most effective means by far. But does that justify releasing thousands of criminals back into society? And does walking down an isle in a grocery store justify getting blessed out by some “Karen?” It is mind numbing how people cannot see what is being done!
And in a different note, why do you suppose there is a coin shortage across the country? I mean certainly the US Mint isn’t non-essential.

A lot of viruses can potentially kill you in a few days. That’s why we look at the statistics. This virus is not as deadly as some of the viruses you have previously encountered such as swine flu or others.

The track record is established and it does about the same damage as other viruses as we encounter. Wearing a mask never even crossed anyone’s mind. Again I ask what is different?

Remember about a year ago they were actually trying to get people to reduce the use of hand sanitizer because virus and bacteria were mutating and getting too strong for the medicines we currently have. I guess we aren’t worried about that anymore.

Reactions: tigergrad03
I do not understand how anyone with the least little bit of intelligence can be anti mask. It just makes common sense. This article was written back in April, and we have learned much since then. People just tried to grab a couple paragraphs to support their world view and the authors had to clarify because of this. I am as conservative as anyone I know and will always fight to preserve our freedoms, but if freedom to not wear a mask is the hill you are ready to die on, that's just selfish and stupid. I believe the shutdown did more economic harm than good and that we all need to practice common sense while living our lives, just slap on a mask when in public or where close contact is necessary.

We do know that the virus is generally spread in prolonged extended conversations, singing, yelling....anything where droplets are spread from the lungs. How could it not be common sense that minimizing the spread of these droplets will slow the spread? How hard is it to slap on a mask to run into Lowes, or to get a haircut? It's not that damn hard and if we all did it for 3 weeks, we would greatly suppress the virus spread and begin getting back to normal (having a football season). This should not be this damn hard.

I'm married to someone who has two articles published in the New England Journal and it is considered as the top Peer Reviewed Medical Academic Journal. Many people spend their entire careers trying to get published in the NEJM. Calling it a third rate mag is plain stupid.

I do not understand how anyone with the least little bit of intelligence can be anti mask. It just makes common sense. This article was written back in April, and we have learned much since then. People just tried to grab a couple paragraphs to support their world view and the authors had to clarify because of this. I am as conservative as anyone I know and will always fight to preserve our freedoms, but if freedom to not wear a mask is the hill you are ready to die on, that's just selfish and stupid. I believe the shutdown did more economic harm than good and that we all need to practice common sense while living our lives, just slap on a mask when in public or where close contact is necessary.

We do know that the virus is generally spread in prolonged extended conversations, singing, yelling....anything where droplets are spread from the lungs. How could it not be common sense that minimizing the spread of these droplets will slow the spread? How hard is it to slap on a mask to run into Lowes, or to get a haircut? It's not that damn hard and if we all did it for 3 weeks, we would greatly suppress the virus spread and begin getting back to normal (having a football season). This should not be this damn hard.

I'm married to someone who has two articles published in the New England Journal and it is considered as the top Peer Reviewed Medical Academic Journal. Many people spend their entire careers trying to get published in the NEJM. Calling it a third rate mag is plain stupid.
I don’t understand how anyone with even a brain between their ears can’t see what’s being done. The same people (all of them) who are telling you to wear a mask, within the last 5 months said don’t wear one, they don’t work, people shouldn’t be wearing them, they’re only for medical personnel and on and on and on. And at the end of the day it’s a personal choice. That’s what I’m trying g to get at. To each their own. Wear it if you want to. If not don’t. But don’t tell someone else they should or shouldn’t. And even worse that they are contributing to the problem or are selfish.

I know for a fact that George Soros pays people to post on reddit and other message boards. I've seen identical posts on this board popping up recently. Maybe people are just copying and pasting or maybe something else is going on...

General question regarding something that I’m trying to reconcile in my head:

why is it that nobody really has a problem with the “no shoes, no shirts, no service” signs outside of certain stores but the mask request bothers people ?
Im not trying to get into the weeds about the evidence supporting or refuting mask use. I’m merely trying to understand the difference in being okay with stores requiring people to wear shirt and/or shoes to shop but not fundamentally okay with request to wear a mask

General question regarding something that I’m trying to reconcile in my head:

why is it that nobody really has a problem with the “no shoes, no shirts, no service” signs outside of certain stores but the mask request bothers people ?
Im not trying to get into the weeds about the evidence supporting or refuting mask use. I’m merely trying to understand the difference in being okay with stores requiring people to wear shirt and/or shoes to shop but not fundamentally okay with request to wear a mask

you don’t breathe through your feet?

I’m ok with private stores requiring it, I don’t have to frequent them. I have a problem with being told I need to wear a mask on the public right of way.

Reactions: tigergrad03
you don’t breathe through your feet?

I’m ok with private stores requiring it, I don’t have to frequent them. I have a problem with being told I need to wear a mask on the public right of way.

But surgical masks don’t make one hypoxic - your oxygen saturation doesn’t go down because you have mask. So I’m not really sure what the breathing part has to do with it. And fair enough about the public spaces. I was really just referring to private places like grocery stores, etc

But surgical masks don’t make one hypoxic - your oxygen saturation doesn’t go down because you have mask. So I’m not really sure what the breathing part has to do with it. And fair enough about the public spaces. I was really just referring to private places like grocery stores, etc
Check out the whistle blower video I just posted. Would like your take on it. Had not seen it until now

Im just thinking out loud here ....take away ones “moral” opinions....people also don’t have a problem with public indecency laws. We say you have to keep your junk covered. And again, take away one’s moral or societal views and how that vibes with societal norms and one’s moral compass. im talking strictly conceptually ....we don’t have a problem with the government saying that certain parts of the body need to be covered. I’m not a legal scholar but given there’s precedence, can one not argue this in court if it ever went to courts ?? Just asking the question

Im just thinking out loud here ....take away ones “moral” opinions, but people also don’t have a problem with public indecency laws. We say you have to keep your junk covered. And again, take away one’s moral or societal opinions and how that vibes with societal norms and one’s moral compass. im talking strictly conceptually ....we don’t have a problem with the government saying that certain parts of the body need to be covered. I’m not a legal scholar but given there’s precedence, can one not argue this in court if it ever went to courts ?? Just asking the question
Probably. I do think we have to have public decency laws. Flopping the junk out in public should get one what they deserve

Probably. I do think we have to have public decency laws. Flopping the junk out in public should get one what they deserve

yeah not talking what one thinks about this morally or their visceral reaction to this. Just merely the concept of the government telling you that you have to keep something covered. Whatever that something is.

yeah not talking what one thinks about this morally or their visceral reaction to this. Just merely the concept of the government telling you that you have to keep something covered. Whatever that something is.
How about covering your butt? Serious questions. The average person passes gas 12 times a day. I don’t, I’m 2-3 times due to keto, but that’s beside the point. The virus definitely spreads through fecal particles. Shouldn’t we all have butt plugs if we have to wear masks

You mean poison. Look it up. Virus in Latin is defined as a poison

giphy.gif

I applaud your attempt

I suppose @DaBadass has answered your question. I don’t know what you’re getting at. A mask isn’t a normal thing. To the extent under normal circumstances it would be considered a felony with a CWP holder carrying a legal weapon in SC.

I think that law has as much basis in not causing a public disturbance as it does any moral issue.

Or you’re too ignorant to understand what they were trying to say, so much so that when they come back to clarify their position you double down on the stupid.
America was not ready for social media.
Correct on the bolded part.

America, or ANY society, is not, was not, will never be ready for every idiot that can type to scream/stream his/her pointless/uninformed/biased opinions to every other....<<<what I said......... and expect positive results, you know, right, OK?

Most people have little, if anything, productive to add to conversations they actually are/should be versed in. Intelligent and open discussion of issues can be a beautiful thing, whether folks agree or not. It's enlightening. But, all too rare.

When people step outside of their field of expertise.........back yard of expertise........balcony patio of expertise.........it all goes downhill quickly.

It's called mobs screaming. Or ALL CAPS SCREAMING.
No one hears nor understands.

Nor should care.

.....yeah.
I know.......

It's been called the devil's playground, this social media.
I think that's wrong.

The devil is only in the keyboard.

I think that law has as much basis in not causing a public disturbance as it does any moral issue.

Isn’t the whole not wearing mask thing causing public disturbance? People are caught on video screaming not wanting to wear a mask, fighting. Again, they are different degrees , but I’m just attempting to apply precedence here for the purposes discussion.

No. The second article reaffirms what they said in the original paper. The original paper called for widespread use of masks in the medical community. Something that makes absolute sense.

It also re-affirms that there is a time and place for the public to wear masks: which isn't all the time. They are nothing more than a security blanket in most cases. They say, and I quote.

"We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods."

Within 6 feet
For Sustain periods.

Let that soak in.

You aren't getting their by walking by someone. You aren't getting this a Lowes or Publix or Belk's. You aren't getting this by walking into a resteraunt to pick up food. In most cases, those are not periods of sustained interaction with 6 feet.

A packed Death Valley, yup that's a risk. A movie theater, yup that's a risk. A bar, yup that's a risk.

Are you wearing a mask in your house? Because you have a higher likihood of catching COVID there vice a grocery store.

ADVERTISEMENT