ADVERTISEMENT

Furman Film Review

sjohnson_15

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2019
Certainly don't claim to be a football guru, but this is something I do on my own time every week and I just thought I'd throw it out here. *Disclaimer: this YouTube video did not allow me make clips, so I'm just going to hyperlink timestamps. Moving forward I'll clean up the formatting.*

Opening drive. 3rd & 6. Always watch the safeties presnap. On the left side, #6 walks down about 5 yards and is head up over Davis Allen in the slot. You can see the OLB on that side with his eyes in the backfield, never looking to Allen. All the indicators here is that this is going to be man coverage, assuming single high zone. The second the deep safety squeezes on Spector and leaves Beaux 1v1, the ball comes out. Quiet feet from DJ, but not glued to the turf either. Easily could've been the same result as Higgins cribbing it on NC State in 2018 or J Ross putting GA Southern on skates.

2 plays later. Furman is in an okie front here. Way offset on Miller, but on the opposite side we've got 2 hats and no defender in the 5 gap. I'd love to see DJ yank this out and take off.

Very next play. 3rd & 6. Again, watch the safeties. When the offense checks to the sideline, the Furman boundary corner walks back down into press and #6 gets depth, but watch him walk over the top of that corner and Ngata immediately starts pointing. Even if you're wrong, you want to call the cat blitz here and adjust hot over it. Sure enough, it hits. Poetry in motion. Hate that 10 didn't get to score here.

Opening 3rd down for Furman. They watched the film. Excellent execution here by their linemen to drop and make contact. Ruke and Murphy have no chance to smell the rat before it's too late. Trotter and Simpson are playing their keys shading to the trips side. This is just good offense. We sat in a cover 3 shell before going to lots of man coverage on 3rd down each of the last 2 weeks. Have to imagine we get more eyes in the backfield on 3rd & medium going forward.

Following Clemson drive. 2nd & 6. The Furman OLB bailing ruins this from the jump, but their 3 technique plays it perfectly. I know it's an FCS opponent, but this is something that we've never seen from DJ before. Huge play.

Later that drive. 3rd & 6. Get that kid the ball. Soft zone, skinny post, ball comes out quickly.

3rd & 8 for Furman. Microcosm of the season defensively. Again in man on 3rd down and Barrett is playing charmin soft at the sticks. These are the things that will get cleaned up, don't worry. The youth at LB shows at times but when it clicks, those 3 are going to be hell on wheels.

3rd & 1 for Furman. Take note of 2 things here. Trotter scraping across with the motion. That's just feel. Same deal with Phillips - he sees it and comes downhill. But watch Fred Davis as he sees #82 turn his back to block down. It's a run right at you Fred, why the hell are you backing up? Booth would've been a heat seeking missile on this play.

2nd & 10 for Clemson. Okay 5, let's have a little fun. Great job by Beaux to clean it up. 3rd & 4 is a different world than 3rd & 10.

Very next play. 3rd & 4. Just like last week on the snap after the circus pitch to Shipley, DJ comes back and throws a ball as confidently as you'll ever see him. Watch him scan off Beaux back to the boundary. Davis Allen deserves a ton of credit for plucking this one out of the air.

TD run by Shipley. Motion and misdirection make this play. I thought Shipley and Mafah needed to have some more patience early in this game as there were holes but they took off before letting the blocks set. Watch Shipley slow play this just a hair at the mesh point to let Allen squeeze through the hole. Hat on a hat, make a man miss. Easy money.

3rd & 9 for Furman after a false start. This QB is a player. I don't care what anybody has to say, he's going to run through the SOCON making plays like this. Couple plays later on 2nd & 4 he puts Swint on skates and picks up 10 or 12 more. Tough showing for Swint all day. Next play they show he started 10/10 and he layers this throw perfectly. Like I said, I don't care that he plays for Furman, the guy is a player.

1st & 15 on Furman's next possession. Love the play design here. Get Maguire to respect the orbit and takes him an extra 5 steps to get back into the play. Does a nice job in pursuit here. Ruke and Simpson are falling all over themselves trying to get back. It's tough to defend when their OL release this late but jeez it's frustrating to watch. Next play they run a slant off the slot and Venables is about 15 yards behind the play for a TD.

2nd & 10 for Clemson at midfield. Seems like Kobe's the redheaded step child amongst the RBs through 2 games but I stand behind the fact that he's the best of them right now. Great interior push and he does the rest.

Following a timeout. This terrified me from section UO, but the takeaway here is DJ extends the play and throws it high and to the inside where if 0 doesn't catch it, nobody does. A week ago he doesn't even attempt this throw. Tough catch here. Next play DJ rails it into EJ. Perfect throw as the corner is playing off before the inside help shows up.

2nd & 10 for Furman to open the 2nd half. Love this angle. Jalyn is taking on the edge block and running past him before the RB takes the pitch. KJ and Trenton are all over this too. Next play on 3rd & 14 they screen us again. Simpson down in the A gap and both LBs blitzing has been a 3rd down theme and neither of those guys recognize what's going on. Man coverage behind it means nobody has eyes on the backfield so pursuit is slow. Wes hasn't shown much so far, but he's going to have to get out of these base coverages and pressures soon. Luckily we get a pick on a tipped pass to kill this drive.

1st play after the turnover. This is what patience by a RB looks like. He doesn't hit the gas to the hole off Parks' back, he lets Putnam get onto somebody and then the vision to stutter step back inside. This drive was a Will Shipley clinic. Runs of 10, 13, and 18 on back-to-back-to-back snaps.

After this drive, we went into limp mode offensively (13 plays for 25 yards the rest of the game) and Furman accepts that they're going to chew the clock and get out of there. Credit to the defense for stiffening up as the game wore on despite being out there for 46 snaps in the 2nd half. Short week, FCS opponent, just seemed to lack juice. It happens and I don't think there's any cause for concern here. Wish Cade would've gotten more chances early in the 3rd as the tip drill pick on DJ ruined what was otherwise a perfect game. He was 15-18 at halftime for 200+ yards. As comfortable and as confident as I've seen him look in a Clemson uniform. Looking forward to LA Tech. Hoping to see us play more complimentary football as it's the last chance to tune up before the schedule gets real.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News