ADVERTISEMENT

**Georgia Runoffs**

Figured we should have a thread for these races on Jan 5.

Looks like some interesting strategies are already being formed.

I was pretty OK with Biden with a repub senate b/c I don’t want to pay more taxes and it looks like the Supreme Court is not going to dismantle then ACA (my wife has a preexisting condition). That said, it will be funny as shit if this happens.

I was pretty OK with Biden with a repub senate b/c I don’t want to pay more taxes and it looks like the Supreme Court is not going to dismantle then ACA (my wife has a preexisting condition). That said, it will be funny as shit if this happens.

I think Warnock wins, as does Perdue.

Reactions: TheValley91
I have NO PROBLEM with divided government. I won't be worried either way here, but have no problem with the Republicans in control of the Senate. I'd love to see Mitch out of his leadership role in the Senate the same way I'd like to see Pelosi out in the House. Both are party hacks who put party above country every day and twice on Sunday.

I have NO PROBLEM with divided government. I won't be worried either way here, but have no problem with the Republicans in control of the Senate. I'd love to see Mitch out of his leadership role in the Senate the same way I'd like to see Pelosi out in the House. Both are party hacks who put party above country every day and twice on Sunday.

Good post.

Reactions: hopefultiger13
Good post.

We'll see how it goes. I've been preaching the fact that Biden is and always has been a moderate. If what I'm saying is true, he should be able to work with Mitch and Pelosi to get some things done. He'll have to lean a little left to get Pelosi on board and lean a little right to get Mitch to sign off. That probably means that whatever comes out of that process will be somewhere in the middle.. in other words, something that no one absolutely loves but everyone can live with.

If he can't get anything done, then I'm wrong.

We'll see how it goes. I've been preaching the fact that Biden is and always has been a moderate. If what I'm saying is true, he should be able to work with Mitch and Pelosi to get some things done. He'll have to lean a little left to get Pelosi on board and lean a little right to get Mitch to sign off. That probably means that whatever comes out of that process will be somewhere in the middle.. in other words, something that no one absolutely loves but everyone can live with.

If he can't get anything done, then I'm wrong.

I'm considerably more left leaning than you (I think) so what I suspect will happen is that Mitch will stonewall virtually everything.

I think there is a fair amount of stuff that could pass if put to a vote in the Senate (voting rights stuff, for example) but Mitch won't allow it to a vote. I think the leaders of both chambers have too much power in controlling the agenda of their respective legislative bodies.

I'm considerably more left leaning than you (I think) so what I suspect will happen is that Mitch will stonewall virtually everything.

I think there is a fair amount of stuff that could pass if put to a vote in the Senate (voting rights stuff, for example) but Mitch won't allow it to a vote. I think the leaders of both chambers have too much power in controlling the agenda of their respective legislative bodies.

Probably so on the left leaning stuff. I'm a moderate. I also love to ague, so on this board I'm pretty left leaning. My wife's pretty liberal and so are most of our friends. So I'm usually arguing the other side in real life. For instance, I've NO PROBLEM with Trump's policies toward China and the Middle East, nor do I have a problem with his stance on big Pharma and the government negotiating for drug prices. I just think he's a POS person and that the type of person he is doesn't need to be President. I'm better off financially with him in office, but I'd rather have less money and have a better person calling the shots.

IMHO, Mitch is a political animal first and foremost. Both he and Pelosi are well aware of what happens when you simply say no and do nothing. They are certainly more than capable of doing this, but they also know that they are better off not doing it. Despite the Trump hate in the country, I think Pelosi and her folks in the House paid a price for the last two years. Mitch can see that and he's right on the edge of losing his majority... So I think he'll be open to throwing some stuff on the floor that's not completely off the rails.

I'm optimistic that we can get some business done. Biden and Mitch go way back and don't hate each other.

Reactions: yoshi121374
Probably so on the left leaning stuff. I'm a moderate. I also love to ague, so on this board I'm pretty left leaning. My wife's pretty liberal and so are most of our friends. So I'm usually arguing the other side in real life. For instance, I've NO PROBLEM with Trump's policies toward China and the Middle East, nor do I have a problem with his stance on big Pharma and the government negotiating for drug prices. I just think he's a POS person and that the type of person he is doesn't need to be President. I'm better off financially with him in office, but I'd rather have less money and have a better person calling the shots.

IMHO, Mitch is a political animal first and foremost. Both he and Pelosi are well aware of what happens when you simply say no and do nothing. They are certainly more than capable of doing this, but they also know that they are better off not doing it. Despite the Trump hate in the country, I think Pelosi and her folks in the House paid a price for the last two years. Mitch can see that and he's right on the edge of losing his majority... So I think he'll be open to throwing some stuff on the floor that's not completely off the rails.

I'm optimistic that we can get some business done. Biden and Mitch go way back and don't hate each other.

I hope you're right. I think that our expectations of the two parties are totally asymmetrical, though. Republicans paid no price for the Merrick Garland hi-jinx, nor did they pay a price for obstructing everything for the last 6 years of the Obama administration.

I think people expect Democrats to govern and expect Republicans to not. That could just be my democratic colored glasses, though.

Reactions: fcctiger12
Haven’t been the the RT lately, so just seeing this, but our taxes are likely to go up next year regardless. The 2017 tax plan baked-in increases on practically all brackets that go into effect in January 2021. Pretty smart move, actually. Behavioral economics show that we value short-term gains over long-term gains, so giving tax relief to the middle class for two years (2018-2019) before raising them gives an illusion of it being positive. Also, this going into effect after the election would make It seem like it was put into place by the new President, not Trump. Or, if Trump won, too late for there to be any repercussions drastic against himself.

Last edited:
My instincts say that the GOP wins both seats. I just don’t think many people are going to go to the polls and vote Perdue and Warnock. If one R wins they will both win (and Vice versa). Isn’t going to be a lot of ticket splitting voters. I think the Rs win because, historically, the GOP has more success in getting their voters to turn out in special elections. My company PAC gave $ to Perdue and I attended a virtual fundraiser with him two weeks ago. Still, I’m not impressed.

Republicans will retain control of the senate and our government will accomplish nothing legislatively for 2 years.

Looks like DJT is fundraising in the name of the GA Senate races, then pocketing the cash for himself.

Typical Donny: honest, straightforward, and looking out for others. Right, Trumpers?

“The reality is Donald Trump does not care about the future of the Republican Party, so if he can raise money off of the Georgia runoffs but keep the money for his own purposes, he will do so,” said Doug Heye, a veteran GOP strategist.

Republicans will retain control of the senate and our government will accomplish nothing legislatively for 2 years.

If the runoffs are allowed to be run like the general election was on 11/3, then the dems will take both seats. Republican turnout might be interesting as a lot do feel that rampant cheating occurred. My family will go and vote republican, but not sure about the masses at this point.

Looks like DJT is fundraising in the name of the GA Senate races, then pocketing the cash for himself.

KTp8en.jpg

If the runoffs are allowed to be run like the general election was on 11/3, then the dems will take both seats. Republican turnout might be interesting as a lot do feel that rampant cheating occurred. My family will go and vote republican, but not sure about the masses at this point.

What, you're not going along with your deranged sheeple base? They do not want you to vote because they want to "Destroy the GOP". Traitor!

"The GOP wants us to hold the line and vote for 'RINOs' like Davie Perdue and Kelly Loeffler in the Georgia Senate runoffs," Fuentes said as the crowd offered "boos" for the Republican candidates."

What, you're not going along with your deranged sheeple base? They do not want you to vote because they want to "Destroy the GOP". Traitor!

"The GOP wants us to hold the line and vote for 'RINOs' like Davie Perdue and Kelly Loeffler in the Georgia Senate runoffs," Fuentes said as the crowd offered "boos" for the Republican candidates."

My entire family will be going to vote no matter what for Loeffler and Perdue. I would have preferred Collins though.

The votes being counted first are the early ones per the networks.

If you have a real job or any investments you want a balance of power. I cannot imagine an adult who has anything going for them voting for Ossoff. With that said, Loeffler and Perdue are pathetic candidates, especially Loeffler.

The only thing that will make Trump feel better is if the two Republicans lose too. He won‘t feel that he was the only Republican rejected in Ga. That’s why he spent all the rallies complaining about his situation and gave little time to talking about the GOP Senators.

This is going to be another long night of vote-watching. For what it is worth, the NYT’s needle continues to point to the two Democrats but I will still be stunned if the Republicans lose both these races.

The votes being counted first are the early ones per the networks.

If you have a real job or any investments you want a balance of power. I cannot imagine an adult who has anything going for them voting for Ossoff. With that said, Loeffler and Perdue are pathetic candidates, especially Loeffler.

I want to try out one argument with you for why Democrats having a tie with the tie break is good from your perspective. Zero "crazy" legislation will pass - they can't get it past Manchin and Sinema. However, broadly popular legislation will at least get a vote, unlike with McConnell in charge. I'd argue only modest stuff getting passed is better than basically nothing.

Reactions: fcctiger12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT