The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2001
Botetourt County, VA
Found this on the Masters app. SIAP.

Good luck during this special week @JudgeSchmails

Five Questions with Lucas Glover​

Mon 08 Apr 2024 12:32 EDT

Lucas Glover has been attending the Masters Tournament for nearly 40 years and first played in the Tournament 18 years ago. As a Greenville, S.C., native, golf and the Masters have always been in his life. His grandfather, former Clemson All-America football player Dick Hendley, first gave Glover a cut-down club at age 3 and took him to his first Masters at age 6.
Glover, now age 44, is playing in his tenth Masters this week after a hot streak to end the 2023 season when he won in consecutive weeks at August’s Wyndham Championship in Greensboro, N.C., and the FedEx St. Jude Championship in Memphis, his first professional season with two victories. A big key to that success was a switch to a 45-inch broomstick-style putter, using the same specs that Adam Scott used in capturing the 2013 Masters.
Glover’s instructor beginning at age 12 was Dick Harmon, the third of four sons of 1948 Masters champion Claude Harmon. Dick died in 2006 just three years before Glover won the 2009 U.S. Open at Bethpage Black (N.Y.).
Here are five questions for Glover, who is making his first Masters appearance since 2022:

What do you remember about your first Masters trip with your grandfather, Dick Hendley, who brought you to Augusta when you were 6? Has the Masters tradition been entrenched in your mind ever since?​

The first thing I remember is backing Ben Crenshaw off his tee shot on the first tee because I was making too much noise. I was sitting beside the first tee with my grandfather and moving too much, tying my shoe in one of those rickety old metal chairs. I also realized I didn’t really want to walk down that hill on No. 1 because I didn’t realize beforehand how big it was, having only seen it on TV. Like a lot of people, I was shocked at how hilly it was in person. I went every year on Saturday for about 10 or 11 years.

Being from the South, what does the Masters mean to you?​

I grew up going and following the Masters, so it was a big deal every spring. Growing up only a couple hours away in Greenville, S.C., that made the Masters such a big thing for my family and me. That’s a big reason why I became such a golf nut. Having attended it made me want to play well that much more when I began playing in the Masters in 2006.

You're traditionally a big reader during tournament weeks. Is there anything you are currently reading or plan to that you may bring to Augusta?​

I’m still a fairly avid reader. It’s something to do in the hotel room in the evening. Out here, we sit around a lot waiting on a tee time. If there’s no good sports to watch on TV, then I might as well read a book. I don’t have anything in the hopper right now that I’m reading or plan to read in Augusta. I guess I need to brush up on my Masters history, so I might read something like that when I get there because there’s a lot of interesting history there.

With the last name Glover, people may find it unusual that you don't wear a glove. How did that start and why does it continue?​

I just never used one, never grew up with one. Guys like Fred Couples, Robert Streb, Lee Janzen haven’t used a glove. Not a lot of us out here. For me, it’s feel. I don’t know where the clubhead is in my swing and can’t feel the club if I wear a glove, so I don’t mess with a glove. I get the Glover name-no glove thing a lot.

Is there a place or a hole at Augusta National that is memorable and if so, why?​

Under the tree out back is pretty special. Once you go through the clubhouse, see everything and everyone there and come out back and looking out over the course, it gives you a thought of, ‘All right, it’s game time.’ It gives you goosebumps a little bit going from the practice area over there. All right we’re here. That’s special. I think No. 5 is a bear for me now, because I don’t hit it as far as I used to and hitting a long iron or fairway wood into that green is really, really difficult.O

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News