ADVERTISEMENT

Great news today by the CDC..if you're under 50 Covid-19 less deadly than flu

They also basically admitted that contracting the virus from surfaces is minimal at best.

Evidently the biggest issue is infected people coughing, sneezing, talking loud or singing while being close to others in confined spaces.

I'm really not trying to be a killjoy but....

April 22........22,086*

May 22........ 95,213*

.....................73,127* American deaths.

It's been a very bad month for a great many people and and their families.

BTW, I'm not under 50. I hope all you young folks get to live at least as long as I have.

*These numbers lack enough scientific precision to satisfy everyone. For me, somewhat like in horseshoes, when it comes to deaths tallied, close counts.

April 22........22,086*

May 22........ 95,213*

BTW, I'm not under 50. I hope all you young folks get to live at least as long as I have.

*These numbers lack enough scientific precision to satisfy everyone. For me, somewhat like in horseshoes, when it comes to deaths tallied, close counts.

I hear ya. But if it truly is less deadly than the flu, then why dont we treat the flu like this? At the end of the day, we cant stay at home forever. Our society will crumble and contracting covid will be the least of our worries.

April 22........22,086*

May 22........ 95,213*

I mean this respectfully, and I understand your point of view at your age... but I don’t believe all deaths categorized as Covid-19 deaths, are all indeed due to CV19.

Last edited:

April 22........22,086*

May 22........ 95,213*

Deaths-
80% over age 65
50% from nursing homes
33% from NY/NJ

Any asymptomatic patient with another actual cause of death that tests positive is included in the death toll. The number of deaths is over cooked.

Time for this country to move forward. If you’re over 65, in a nursing home or live in NY/NJ take some extra precautions. Everyone else, knock it off and let’s get back to moving.

So the numbers they are reporting as most likely (as of the end of April) are these, which still make it more deadly than flu for any age bracket, but definitely better than initial projections:

0-49 years: 0.05% (2.5 x as deadly as flu)
50-64 years: 0.2% (3.3 x as deadly as flu)
65+ years: 1.3% (1.6 x as deadly as flu)
Overall: 0.4% (4 x as deadly as flu)

For flu:
0-49 years: 0.02%
50-64 years: 0.06%
65+ years: 0.8%
Overall: 0.1%

I hear ya. But if it truly is less deadly than the flu, then why dont we treat the flu like this? At the end of the day, we cant stay at home forever. Our society will crumble and contracting covid will be the least of our worries.

I believe it's much more contagious than the flu. Disease A kills 1% of infected people but infects 50% of the population. Disease B kills 1.5% of infected people but infects 10% of the population. Is Disease B the one to freak out about? To be clear, those are made up numbers. I'm just saying that the fatality rate isn't the only thing to consider.

I don’t think OP is interpreting the numbers correctly for the flu. Probably should edit the title

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I mean this respectfully, and I understand you’re point of view at your age... but I don’t believe all deaths categorized as Covid-19 deaths, are all indeed due to CV19.
I wonder if there are also deaths that are categorized as other things that are actually CV19 but aren't counted as such because testing is unavailable?

I wonder if there are also deaths that are categorized as other things that are actually CV19 but aren't counted as such because testing is unavailable?

All you can say for sure at this point is that their was a higher number of deaths than expected deaths (normal daily deaths) + COVID codes deaths in NY and NJ and elsewhere in the US.

Most scientists think it is undercounted in US (not significantly undercounted) because of this fact and definitely significantly undercounted across the globe.

This article from Upshot explains it better.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

Or Business Insider

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...arly-twice-official-covid-19-count-2020-4?amp

Last edited:
I mean this respectfully, and I understand you’re point of view at your age... but I don’t believe all deaths categorized as Covid-19 deaths, are all indeed due to CV19.
I can verify this. One of my wife's patients was a quadriplegic with high blood pressure, overweight, had an ostomy, and a few other complications that was around 70 years old. It's sad but that person's days were numbered....The patient was offered remdesivir and plasma when respiratory symptoms began but were not severe and the patient refused both. Later when symptoms got worse they agreed to start the treatments. Too late.

Official cause of death at the hospital was "complications due to coronavirus".

And there have been numerous medical professionals on record as saying they are certain that the number of Covid-19 deaths are being undercounted.

Reactions: BigD_55 and TigerTC
So the numbers they are reporting as most likely (as of the end of April) are these, which still make it more deadly than flu for any age bracket, but definitely better than initial projections:

0-49 years: 0.05% (2.5 x as deadly as flu)
50-64 years: 0.2% (3.3 x as deadly as flu)
65+ years: 1.3% (1.6 x as deadly as flu)
Overall: 0.4% (4 x as deadly as flu)

For flu:
0-49 years: 0.02%
50-64 years: 0.06%
65+ years: 0.8%
Overall: 0.1%
Yeah, that's far more deadly than the flu. And keep in mind that this was with the country shut down.

I can verify this. One of my wife's patients was a quadriplegic with high blood pressure, overweight, had an ostomy, and a few other complications that was around 70 years old. It's sad but that person's days were numbered....The patient was offered remdesivir and plasma when respiratory symptoms began but were not severe and the patient refused both. Later when symptoms got worse they agreed to start the treatments. Too late.

Official cause of death at the hospital was "complications due to coronavirus".
Well exactly what would you label that death? Since it was due to failure of the respiratory system due to the virus, I'd say they labelled it correct. Neither remdesivir nor plasma are guaranteed to save someone.

And there have been numerous medical professionals on record as saying they are certain that the number of Covid-19 deaths are being undercounted.
Don't doubt that, but again... just as below22 stated, its happening.

Not possible to under count at most hospitals like where my wife works. Every patient admitted is tested for coronavirus. Many of them are tested multiple times.
To be up front that wasn't the case originally but it should be close to normal for most hospitals at this point in time.

There are also countless deaths that are other things and counted as COVID19.
Countless, huh? And you have proof of this? So, you're saying that the medical professionals are unethical liars?

Not possible to under count at most hospitals like where my wife works. Every patient admitted is tested for coronavirus. Many of them are tested multiple times.
To be up front that wasn't the case originally but it should be close to normal for most hospitals at this point in time.
Don't you think it is completely possible that people are dying at home and possibly not being counted as Covid-19. Because I have seen several doctors and healthcare professionals saying as much. I know this is going to sound crazy, but people do die in places other than the hospital.

Reactions: 1Clemson
Well exactly what would you label that death? Since it was due to failure of the respiratory system due to the virus, I'd say they labelled it correct. Neither remdesivir nor plasma are guaranteed to save someone.
I figured someone would bring that up. Patient had life ending illness before contracting covid. I would say the "complications" leading to death should have been directed toward one their many other life threatening conditions. When a person has a life ending illness such as cancer, heart failure, ostomy feeding tube malnutrition or other serious condition..... the cause of death isn't listed as a cold since that was the last knockout blow.

I figured someone would bring that up. Patient had life ending illness before contracting covid. I would say the "complications" leading to death should have been directed toward one their many other life threatening conditions. When a person has a life ending illness such as cancer, heart failure, ostomy feeding tube malnutrition or other serious condition..... the cause of death isn't listed as a cold since that was the last knockout blow.
The cause of death should be just that...what was the final cause that made them stop living. Are you telling me that someone in a fatal car crash that has cancer should be listed with a cause of death as cancer?

Reactions: Ben Tillman's Ghost
Don't you think it is completely possible that people are dying at home and possibly not being counted as Covid-19. Because I have seen several doctors and healthcare professionals saying as much. I know this is going to sound crazy, but people do die in places other than the hospital.
I would think that would be exceptionally rare and not normal at all. Most people from all different socioeconomic backgrounds are going to go get tested and go to a hospital if they experience severe covid symptoms which everyone is well aware of at this point.

All you can say for sure at this point is that their was a higher number of deaths than expected deaths (normal daily deaths) + COVID codes deaths in NY and NJ and elsewhere in the US.

Most scientists think it is undercounted in US (not significantly undercounted) because of this fact and definitely significantly undercounted across the globe.

This article from Upshot explains it better.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

Or Business Insider

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/yale-study-excess-deaths-nearly-twice-official-covid-19-count-2020-4?amp

This is the answer all of the "they are overcounting COVID-19 deaths" people refuse to acknowledge. There have consistently been more deaths than average, even accounting for verified COVID-19 deaths, in virtually every place that has been studied. So what is more likely, more people just happened to randomly die this March-April or more people than were reported actually died of COVID-19.

Feel free to carry on with your "I suspect" deaths are over reported nonsense though. 90K deaths is surely no big deal since they are all old and sick.

Many years ago my step father passed away from “pneumonia”.

He had dystonia which creates dozens of medical issues that led to this and would have passed away from one of them sooner rather than later. (Dementia, was On feeding tube, etc etc.) Just happened to be pneumonia that ultimately got him.

Listed as a pneumonia death....not due to the disease that actually got him there....

I would think that would be exceptionally rare and not normal at all. Most people from all different socioeconomic backgrounds are going to go get tested and go to a hospital if they experience severe covid symptoms which everyone is well aware of at this point.
Not if they don't have someone to help them, or know they can't afford it, or think it's something that will go away.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

April 22........22,086*

May 22........ 95,213*

And hand grenades.

Many years ago my step father passed away from “pneumonia”.

He had dystonia which creates dozens of medical issues that led to this and would have passed away from one of them sooner rather than later. (Dementia, was On feeding tube, etc etc.) Just happened to be pneumonia that ultimately got him.

Listed as a pneumonia death....not due to the disease that actually got him there....
That's because pneumonia was what finally caused his death. 40% of Americans are obese. When they have a heart attack, due hey list the cause of death as cardiac arrest or obesity? Again go back to my car wreck comparison as well.

Apples to fruit roll ups
Actually it's not. Here's another example: a 50 year old man with cancer dies of a heart attack. Does his death certificate say "cancer" or "cardiac arrest"? Or how about all these "estimated" flu deaths that so many are anxious to compare to Covid-19. I guess none of them had conditions that would have ultimately taken their life if the flu hadn't? That's the whole point anyway, whether someone has a terminal illness or not, the cause of death is what lead them to die on that specific day. Not some estimated timeframe that is often given. At the time of death, what made it that time/day.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
This is the answer all of the "they are overcounting COVID-19 deaths" people refuse to acknowledge. There have consistently been more deaths than average, even accounting for verified COVID-19 deaths, in virtually every place that has been studied. So what is more likely, more people just happened to randomly die this March-April or more people than were reported actually died of COVID-19.

Feel free to carry on with your "I suspect" deaths are over reported nonsense though. 90K deaths is surely no big deal since they are all old and sick.
could be wrong but I thought I read a few days or weeks ago that total deaths were actually running lower than normal. I’m sure the lock down has contributed to less auto accident deaths and other similar demises, but hasn’t the number of pneumonia and flu deaths fallen as well. If that is the case, then I would think some of those would have died regardless if they had COVID or not.
I hate anyone has passed away and it is very serious for some of the population, but I do believe some of the COVID #s have been cooked. Just my opinion.

Actually it's not. Here's another example: a 50 year old man with cancer dies of a heart attack. Does his death certificate say "cancer" or "cardiac arrest"? Or how about all these "estimated" flu deaths that so many are anxious to compare to Covid-19. I guess none of them had conditions that would have ultimately taken their life if the flu hadn't? That's the whole point anyway, whether someone has a terminal illness or not, the cause of death is what lead them to die on that specific day. Not some estimated timeframe that is often given. At the time of death, what made it that time/day.

You example of cancer/car accident was definitely an apples to fruit roll ups comparison

Reactions: harristeeter
could be wrong but I thought I read a few days or weeks ago that total deaths were actually running lower than normal. I’m sure the lock down has contributed to less auto accident deaths and other similar demises, but hasn’t the number of pneumonia and flu deaths fallen as well. If that is the case, then I would think some of those would have died regardless if they had COVID or not.
I hate anyone has passed away and it is very serious for some of the population, but I do believe some of the COVID #s have been cooked. Just my opinion.
Number of deaths is running considerably higher this year.

You example of cancer/car accident was definitely an apples to fruit roll ups comparison
It's not apples to fruit rollups: someone with a terminal illness ended up dying from something else. So their illness wasn't listed as the cause of death.

ADVERTISEMENT