ADVERTISEMENT

Great news today by the CDC..if you're under 50 Covid-19 less deadly than flu

Entirely possible, but i imagine the numbers would be skewed in the other direction, and heavily.
i can understand why you may think that based on an anecdote or gut feeling, but is there any data yet to prove one way or another? I assume it will still be months till they're done correcting numbers

That's because pneumonia was what finally caused his death. 40% of Americans are obese. When they have a heart attack, due hey list the cause of death as cardiac arrest or obesity? Again go back to my car wreck comparison as well.

Here's the problem so many of us have with the current counting method.

A Covid-19 positive patient who is asymptomatic but dies due to cardiac failure (mitral valve prolapse, endocardial stenosis, trigeminal valve failure, CHF, CAD secondarily to multiple years of IV drug use) is being added to the Covid-19 death count because they tested positive. Covid-19 did not kill that patient.

A Covid-19 positive patient who is asymptomatic but dies due to cardiac failure (mitral valve prolapse, endocardial stenosis, trigeminal valve failure, CHF, CAD secondarily to multiple years of IV drug use) is being added to the Covid-19 death count because they tested positive. Covid-19 did not kill that patient.

“Culling the herd”. It is what it is.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
could be wrong but I thought I read a few days or weeks ago that total deaths were actually running lower than normal. I’m sure the lock down has contributed to less auto accident deaths and other similar demises, but hasn’t the number of pneumonia and flu deaths fallen as well. If that is the case, then I would think some of those would have died regardless if they had COVID or not.
I hate anyone has passed away and it is very serious for some of the population, but I do believe some of the COVID #s have been cooked. Just my opinion.
There have absolutely been significantly more deaths than expected. The caveat is that this is nationwide and is not necessarily true in every state/locality. Here is the official source (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm). The worst week so far was the one ending April 11th when there was a 33% increase nation wide. Note that there can be up to an 8 week lag on reporting, so the counts from recent weeks will increase as data comes in.

Reactions: jrmattox
There have absolutely been significantly more deaths than expected. The caveat is that this is nationwide and is not necessarily true in every state/locality. Here is the official source (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm). The worst week so far was the one ending April 11th when there was a 33% increase nation wide. Note that there can be up to an 8 week lag on reporting, so the counts from recent weeks will increase as data comes in.
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-coronavirus-cdc-numbers-idUSKBN21Y2IV

Here’s an article about it.

Reactions: Earle36
Reactions: CU91ENGR
I'm really not trying to be a killjoy but....

April 22........22,086*

May 22........ 95,213*

.....................73,127* American deaths.

It's been a very bad month for a great many people and and their families.

BTW, I'm not under 50. I hope all you young folks get to live at least as long as I have.

*These numbers lack enough scientific precision to satisfy everyone. For me, somewhat like in horseshoes, when it comes to deaths tallied, close counts.
How many died from car wrecks, suicides, cancer, heart attack etc during that time?? The numbers look startling unless put in full context.

96000/330,000,000 = .0029

#waaaaaaaayoverrated

All you can say for sure at this point is that their was a higher number of deaths than expected deaths (normal daily deaths) + COVID codes deaths in NY and NJ and elsewhere in the US.

Most scientists think it is undercounted in US (not significantly undercounted) because of this fact and definitely significantly undercounted across the globe.

This article from Upshot explains it better.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

Or Business Insider

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/yale-study-excess-deaths-nearly-twice-official-covid-19-count-2020-4?amp
That's why they should have done a better job of tracking the data. I read somewhere the death rate has increased 7 to 8% over last year? That is horrific. .5 or 1 percent you could see because of an aging population, but not anything like that increase.

Now nobody buys the data. So, nobody has an idea if it's the cure or the disease responsible.

I think the purest data is going to be prisons, and even that is all over the map. Some looks like maybe close to 1% death rate. Some are showing around .2%.
Common sense would indicate the prison population would skew younger, so you are looking at more of a representation of the disease's effect on over 18/ under 75 population. But, on the other hand the racial demographic is skewed in prisons as well so that also has to be considered.

Reactions: drjeyoung
Actually it's not. Here's another example: a 50 year old man with cancer dies of a heart attack. Does his death certificate say "cancer" or "cardiac arrest"? Or how about all these "estimated" flu deaths that so many are anxious to compare to Covid-19. I guess none of them had conditions that would have ultimately taken their life if the flu hadn't? That's the whole point anyway, whether someone has a terminal illness or not, the cause of death is what lead them to die on that specific day. Not some estimated timeframe that is often given. At the time of death, what made it that time/day.

And that is exactly why these numbers are so inflated. Most of these 90 year olds were on the brink of death anyway and would have very soon died either way. There is a big difference in dying with Covid verse dying of Covid. The numbers reflect those who died with Covid. The hospitals get more money so they would be insane not to label everything they can as Covid. But that is fine. There is a very large segment of the population that wants these numbers to be as high as they possibly can because orange man bad. That is very sad, but very true.

This is exactly right. And that is one reason why these numbers are inflated. Another is that most of these 90 year olds were on the brink of death anyway and would have died very soon either way. There is a big difference in dying with Covid verse dying of Covid. The numbers reflect those who have died with Covid. A lot of people have died and it is tragic. It is terrible. That is really all that matters. I find it amazing how people are fighting and scratching for every possible Covid death they can find for political reasons. Very sad. I bet they are checking the websites every hour as we approach 100,000 deaths. That will be a huge political milestone for them.

This is the answer all of the "they are overcounting COVID-19 deaths" people refuse to acknowledge. There have consistently been more deaths than average, even accounting for verified COVID-19 deaths, in virtually every place that has been studied. So what is more likely, more people just happened to randomly die this March-April or more people than were reported actually died of COVID-19.

Feel free to carry on with your "I suspect" deaths are over reported nonsense though. 90K deaths is surely no big deal since they are all old and sick.
It seems logical to me that there have been many deaths from people who did not seek med
All you can say for sure at this point is that their was a higher number of deaths than expected deaths (normal daily deaths) + COVID codes deaths in NY and NJ and elsewhere in the US.

Most scientists think it is undercounted in US (not significantly undercounted) because of this fact and definitely significantly undercounted across the globe.

This article from Upshot explains it better.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/27/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

Or Business Insider

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/yale-study-excess-deaths-nearly-twice-official-covid-19-count-2020-4?amp

How many people have died from existing health problems bc they were scared to seek medical help due to covid, particularly those with severe cases of heart disease (heart attack, stroke), diabetes, high blood pressure/cholesterol, etc. How many did not get treatment bc they lost income or insurance due to SIP? How many stopped taking meds due to income reduction, loss of insurance? If I had reduced income what are you going to cut out of your budget? Rent, food, power? One of the first things to go for people on an already limited budget is meds, particularly if you lose insurance and your cost skyrockets. Logic would seem to dictate this would cause an increase in deaths not directly caused by covid. I would be shocked if non covid deaths did not increase for the reasons above. I cant imagine there have not been a significant number of deaths that would have been prevented by people who would normally seek medical care, but did not due to fear or lack of means(lost income/insurance).

So the numbers they are reporting as most likely (as of the end of April) are these, which still make it more deadly than flu for any age bracket, but definitely better than initial projections:

0-49 years: 0.05% (2.5 x as deadly as flu)
50-64 years: 0.2% (3.3 x as deadly as flu)
65+ years: 1.3% (1.6 x as deadly as flu)
Overall: 0.4% (4 x as deadly as flu)

For flu:
0-49 years: 0.02%
50-64 years: 0.06%
65+ years: 0.8%
Overall: 0.1%
Your numbers assume infection. The actual numbers are faaaar less than that. Basically, if your under 50, its similar to your chances of dying in car wreck or other accident. Need to get our asses back to work wide ass open. If you 're scared stay home. 40 mill unemployed is absolutely ridiculous for this.

Last edited:
There is also substantial evidence (in the form of firings of employees) that certain states have tried to suppress their counts. So it probably evens out...

I think as summer continues you definitely can open more things with added sunlight--just wear masks if you are in close contact and don't go on a cruise. Cruises, nightclubs, and churches are the places where this thing can spread bigly. Cruises are cesspools with close contact and old people drunk and dancing on each other, nightclubs can be sweaty messes, and churches have people singing and close together where the aerosol covid droplets can spread quickly to vulnerable older peeps.

Open most things and put kids back to school--just be smart about it all. That is where some Trump/CDC leadership and actual guidelines that are specific to businesses would be really helpful and let the rest of us return to a semblance of normalcy.

How many people have died from existing health problems bc they were scared to seek medical help due to covid, particularly those with severe cases of heart disease (heart attack, stroke), diabetes, high blood pressure/cholesterol, etc. How many did not get treatment bc they lost income or insurance due to SIP? How many stopped taking meds due to income reduction, loss of insurance? If I had reduced income what are you going to cut out of your budget? Rent, food, power? One of the first things to go for people on an already limited budget is meds, particularly if you lose insurance and your cost skyrockets. Logic would seem to dictate this would cause an increase in deaths not directly caused by covid. I would be shocked if non covid deaths did not increase for the reasons above. I cant imagine there have not been a significant number of deaths that would have been prevented by people who would normally seek medical care, but did not due to fear or lack of means(lost income/insurance).

There have also been less overdoses, murders and 5% of NYC fled, so there are factors that would contribute to less deaths than typical on the other side of the coin.

Overdose deaths are down 6% in NY for instance.

Nobody will ever obviously know the exact count, but as the scientists that do this for a living dig into the statistics they will be able to come up with a good estimate.

There have also been less overdoses, murders and 5% of NYC fled, so there are factors that would contribute to less deaths than typical on the other side of the coin.

Overdose deaths are down 6% in NY for instance.

Nobody will ever obviously know the exact count, but as the scientists that do this for a living dig into the statistics they will be able to come up with a good estimate.
It is complex. Many fled NYC so hard to say what numbers mean.

Nationally, suicide rates are up during the shutdown. Just yesterday per a psychiatry association, the SF Bay has had a surge in suicides in young people thought to be related to the shutdown that exceed the Covid-19 deaths in the same region.

Domestic abuse has surged during the shutdown as have alcoholism and drug abuse relapse rates. This is known.

There is a known phenomen of more people dying at home from heart attack and strokes or presenting with more severe illness, damage, and disability from the fear of going to the hospital. Sudden deaths at home are up nationally in recent weeks.

A lot to consider and balance and digest.

And you have proof of this?

And that is exactly why these numbers are so inflated. Most of these 90 year olds were on the brink of death anyway and would have very soon died either way. There is a big difference in dying with Covid verse dying of Covid. The numbers reflect those who died with Covid. The hospitals get more money so they would be insane not to label everything they can as Covid. But that is fine. There is a very large segment of the population that wants these numbers to be as high as they possibly can because orange man bad. That is very sad, but very true.

This is exactly right. And that is one reason why these numbers are inflated. Another is that most of these 90 year olds were on the brink of death anyway and would have died very soon either way. There is a big difference in dying with Covid verse dying of Covid. The numbers reflect those who have died with Covid. A lot of people have died and it is tragic. It is terrible. That is really all that matters. I find it amazing how people are fighting and scratching for every possible Covid death they can find for political reasons. Very sad. I bet they are checking the websites every hour as we approach 100,000 deaths. That will be a huge political milestone for them.
You need to actually talk with someone in hospital finances on the bullcrap about getting paid more. Yes, they get more money but it does not come close to offsetting the additional cost of the ventilator and associated treatments. For someone to actually believe that hospitals put people on ventilators just for the money seriously makes me question their intelligence. Do you understand what's involved? It's not putting an oxygen line in someone's nostril.

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
I'll wait until they figure this thing out before worrying about which is worse. There is a very strong possibility that shutting things done like they did saved a lot of people's lives.

Reactions: ddot7
I'll wait until they figure this thing out before worrying about which is worse. There is a very strong possibility that shutting things done like they did saved a lot of people's lives.

This whole deal, including shutdown, was bad in many different respects, but certainly hard to know the answer in the moment.

Friend of mine is a social worker and said the domestic issues are awful for a lot of little kids. I know these kids don't hardly have a chance with school, but with "homeschool" they have zero chance. Gonna be a shame if public schools shutdown again.

This whole deal, including shutdown, was bad in many different respects, but certainly hard to know the answer in the moment.

Friend of mine is a social worker and said the domestic issues are awful for a lot of little kids. I know these kids don't hardly have a chance with school, but with "homeschool" they have zero chance. Gonna be a shame if public schools shutdown again.

Yep, many people are being selfish right now and not thinking about others like kids who are in their critical development years

Yes....I got this thread to deliver. Yall be cordial and keep this debate civil. Use the rational part of your brain...not emotions.

Let me drop this gem.

https://abc7news.com/amp/suicide-co...c-death-by/6201962/?__twitter_impression=true
I have been talking about this side for months. I have a therapist in family that has had 3 suicides. She is on the phone 24/7 tending to patients. But I was blasted by the liberals when I suggested there would be more suicides as a result of the shutdowns. But hey, @MF123 and the liberal crew are all members of Mensa. Just ask them they’ll tell ya!

Last edited:
Reactions: fatpiggy
Yep and suicides don’t tie up hospital beds and ventilators. There isn’t a strain on the medical community so it’s not newsworthy enough to bash Trump with.
How about you show us some proof that the suicide rate is up substantially in 2020? You can't. There's no data out there showing this...just a bunch of rumors and talk. Unfortunately the suicide rate has been increasing rapidly (up 35% between 1999 and 2018) in the last two decades. Is it likely that it's up some this year...sure. But you jackarses act like it's skyrocketing.

You need to actually talk with someone in hospital finances on the bullcrap about getting paid more. Yes, they get more money but it does not come close to offsetting the additional cost of the ventilator and associated treatments. For someone to actually believe that hospitals put people on ventilators just for the money seriously makes me question their intelligence. Do you understand what's involved? It's not putting an oxygen line in someone's nostril.
Who said anything about ventilators? I’m not referring to the people who were on a ventilator. That’s the whole point of my argument. I’m referring to those who died with COVId, not those who died by Covid. That is where the stats are padded and extra money is made. Why don’t you talk to somebody in hospital financing about how much they get to tag somebody with Covid who died five minutes after they walked into the ER?

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
How about you show us some proof that the suicide rate is up substantially in 2020? You can't. There's no data out there showing this...just a bunch of rumors and talk. Unfortunately the suicide rate has been increasing rapidly (up 35% between 1999 and 2018) in the last two decades. Is it likely that it's up some this year...sure. But you jackarses act like it's skyrocketing.
#NotAllLivesAreEqualtoUsLibtards
https://abc7news.com/amp/suicide-co...c-death-by/6201962/?__twitter_impression=true

Reactions: Extender
When (doubt we do) we reach 200,000 deaths, ACTUAL deaths from Covid, it will equate to .006 of the US population.

Including pain and suffering from any such family deaths.......which is significant..........tell me why it was worth destroying the US economy.

Yes, I said destroy.
You 'flatten the curve' people: We will not be able to flatten the curve of what is coming down the pike.

We are looking clouds, when the Hurricane is just off the coast.
It gone be bad.

And there have been numerous medical professionals on record as saying they are certain that the number of Covid-19 deaths are being undercounted.

Yeah, that's far more deadly than the flu. And keep in mind that this was with the country shut down.

Don't you think it is completely possible that people are dying at home and possibly not being counted as Covid-19. Because I have seen several doctors and healthcare professionals saying as much. I know this is going to sound crazy, but people do die in places other than the hospital.
Gotta hand it to ya @CU91ENGR ...you are certainly All-in with Covid...your passion for this hoax is undeniable.

Well exactly what would you label that death? Since it was due to failure of the respiratory system due to the virus, I'd say they labelled it correct. Neither remdesivir nor plasma are guaranteed to save someone.
I’d call it natural causes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT