ADVERTISEMENT

Harvard gut doctor avoids these 4 foods that cause inflammation—and what she eats instead

Cris_Ard

Owner - Publisher of Tigerillustrated.com
Staff
May 29, 2001
tigerillustrated.com

Harvard gut doctor avoids these 4 foods that cause inflammation—and what she eats instead

By: Dr. Jacqueline Wolf - CNBC.com

Here are four foods I try to avoid that cause inflammation:

1. Fatty meats

Research shows that fatty meats like beef, pork and lamb are associated with low-grade inflammation.
Animal fats and saturated fats can alter your gut bacteria by increasing lipopolysaccharides, which can trigger inflammation. They can also cause changes that decrease short-chain fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and important to colon health.
What to eat instead:

2. Ultra-processed foods

These foods go through processes like extrusion or molding and tend to contain many additives or substances extracted from foods. Think: a hot dog instead of lean pork.
Their high amounts of saturated fat, salt and added sugar are associated with inflammation. They often lack the antioxidant properties of the whole foods they replace.
For example, white bread is missing the antioxidants of the wheat grain that make whole-grain breads anti-inflammatory.
What to eat instead:

• Fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in compounds called polyphenols that inhibit inflammation.
  • Whole-grain foods contain antioxidants of the wheat bran and germ, and can be anti-inflammatory.

3. Sugary drinks

Soda and sugary drinks are associated with diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease — all of which can cause chronic inflammation. So I always recommend limiting intake.
What to drink instead:

4. Coconut and palm oil

These oils can be found in processed foods (like large-brand cookies) and are sometimes used in cooking.
They contain high levels of saturated fats, which can decrease gut diversity and free fatty acids, potentially resulting in increased inflammation.
What to eat instead:

1. Fatty meats

Research shows that fatty meats like beef, pork and lamb are associated with low-grade inflammation.
Animal fats and saturated fats can alter your gut bacteria by increasing lipopolysaccharides, which can trigger inflammation. They can also cause changes that decrease short-chain fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and important to colon health.
What to eat instead:

2. Ultra-processed foods

These foods go through processes like extrusion or molding and tend to contain many additives or substances extracted from foods. Think: a hot dog instead of lean pork.
Their high amounts of saturated fat, salt and added sugar are associated with inflammation. They often lack the antioxidant properties of the whole foods they replace.
For example, white bread is missing the antioxidants of the wheat grain that make whole-grain breads anti-inflammatory.
What to eat instead:

• Fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in compounds called polyphenols that inhibit inflammation.
  • Whole-grain foods contain antioxidants of the wheat bran and germ, and can be anti-inflammatory.

3. Sugary drinks

Soda and sugary drinks are associated with diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease — all of which can cause chronic inflammation. So I always recommend limiting intake.
What to drink instead:

4. Coconut and palm oil

These oils can be found in processed foods (like large-brand cookies) and are sometimes used in cooking.
They contain high levels of saturated fats, which can decrease gut diversity and free fatty acids, potentially resulting in increased inflammation.
What to eat instead:

OK to address the doctor try eating

1. Pork loin instead of BBQ and if you do BBQ make sure the sauce is NO SUGAR ADDED

2. On the Hot dogs I have been buying Applegates Organic which are really downsized from the bad stuff along with the Hebrew National ALL Organic

3, On the buns I am buying special buns to try of Hero which supposedly have 0 net carbohydrates

No catsup for a condiment but if I use slaw for example I use Hellmans Light which as no sugar or chloresterol
Doctor and Health Nurse Dietician want me to reduce or walk back from the diabetes line and cholesterol border so am doing a modification of some of the foods I eat

For example no miracle whip or added sugar foods

Last edited:

1. Fatty meats

What to eat instead:

2. Ultra-processed foods

What to eat instead:

3. Sugary drinks

What to drink instead:

4. Coconut and palm oil

What to eat instead:

We do a pretty good job on 3 of the 4. I’m still going to eat fatty meats - steak, burgers, bbq, etc. But we do a good bit of chicken, venison, fish and shrimp too.

Basically, if your main diet consists of "combos" at fast food restaurants, you are not healthy. One would think all people know this, but of course, we know that's not true. The folks that need to read this will never see it.

1. Fatty meats

What to eat instead:

2. Ultra-processed foods

What to eat instead:

3. Sugary drinks

What to drink instead:

4. Coconut and palm oil

What to eat instead:
I agree with the good gut doctor. But easier written than done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT