ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go

As one of the lone moderates on this board (that means wide eyed liberal to most of you). I have no problem with this. I'd also add in a community service part as well. If you can't find a job or get some education training going so that you can eventually find a good job, you can AT LEAST don an orange vest and sweep the streets for your upkeep if you are an able bodied adult.

Color me in as a solid NO, if kids are involved. I get the fact that there are plenty of kids out there that have worthless parents. But you aren't going to sell me on the fact that making life harder for kids is the way to go.

Reactions: Lot4tailgater
The rule would tighten work requirements for able-bodied adults with no dependents

If you can work and choose not to that's on that individual. Even can give you scripture from the Bible (Yes I know you don't believe) on this very subject.

There are over 7 million available jobs right now. I see no problem with this.

As one of the lone moderates on this board (that means wide eyed liberal to most of you). I have no problem with this. I'd also add in a community service part as well. If you can't find a job or get some education training going so that you can eventually find a good job, you can AT LEAST don an orange vest and sweep the streets for your upkeep if you are an able bodied adult.

Color me in as a solid NO, if kids are involved. I get the fact that there are plenty of kids out there that have worthless parents. But you aren't going to sell me on the fact that making life harder for kids is the way to go.
Completely agree with this post. The community service is a great idea as most inner city neighborhoods have plenty of public work acts that would be helpful. Also would give some sort of work experience and increased exposure in the neighborhood. This exposure would either lead to increased motivation based on the shame of it or increased motivation from the pride of working and being noticed.

I lived in the Orange Mound community of Memphis for 3 years and the Harrisburg community of Augusta for 2.5 years; and I lived amongst those who these bills directly target. The first bill I think is reasonable. I once saw a lady try to use food stamps to get dog food and when she couldn't she went back and bought steak. On the flip side, I lived next door to a family where the grandmother and daughter both worked while taking care of 11 grandkids, children, nieces, nephews, etc. Without free meals at school they would have been in bad shape. The kids were amazing, all honor roll children, and on a personal note had my daughter's back at school. With that crew she had so much street cred.

So have to agree that I'm for the first and like the community service idea but totally against the pending bills putting larger strain on working families. so much props for a family that is at the bottom but working. It's not as simple as we like to think and live in the community for years, you'll see it. Miss work once for many of our neighbors and they're fired. Sick kid, too bad. It's definitely straining.

Reactions: ClemsonGentleman

I agree with this, especially the community service part. Just because there are 7MM jobs available in the US does not mean they are available in every community or town. And those people in small towns dont always have the resources to move where the jobs are.

One problem I have with this though... it is pretty vague on how the "limitations" will be enforced. Trump has a track record of punishing states that did not vote for him. I am 100% confident this will be enforced by his admin more heavily in dem states, but swing states like Ohio, Penn and florida will get a pass.

Sounds like we’re just enforcing an existing federal rule and preventing counties with low unemployment from petitioning to not follow that rule.

And it’s limited to people without dependents, so zero influence on kids.

I’m not sure why anyone would have an issue with this. It’s just common sense.

Reactions: hopefultiger13
The community service part is pretty critical IMHO. A LOT of folks on this board are going to see the day when there are actually not enough jobs that provide a living wage to go around. This has been slowly happening, but we are about to hit the breaking point. Every time there's a tech advance, there are better jobs created at a higher pay level, but there are FEWER of them as well.

IMHO, we are going to get to that point when AI becomes capable of handling routine driving and deliveries. According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, almost 10% of all jobs involve transport. That's going to be a HUGE hit when it's all automated. Where are they going to go to find productive work. It's a real problem.

Sounds like we’re just enforcing an existing federal rule and preventing counties with low unemployment from petitioning to not follow that rule.

And it’s limited to people without dependents, so zero influence on kids.

I’m not sure why anyone would have an issue with this. It’s just common sense.

Yep. My wife really is a liberal, and she has no issues with it. She's a workaholic, though and has NO PATIENCE for folks sitting on their asses.

ADVERTISEMENT